UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Competition hunting. UKC, PKC, AKC
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nc1484
UKC Forum Member

Jculler8. You have no idea what your talking about. You must not have read that too thoroughly before you commented. I have lost a pile of hunts. I have won a pile also. I've hunted all the Kc's for 15 years. Have put many miles under my feet chasing some of the best dogs in the country. I've handled my own and been hired to handle. Have finished many hounds out in all the kennel clubs. Won allot of trophies, state jackets, coon hunting gear, and had many photos in the magazines. Not to mention a pile of money (but all that money doesn't even compare to what i have spent chasing those titles. Wasted thousands of dollars!). None of that winning or titles means anything to me compared to treeing coons with friends, knocking coons out to young dogs, seeing a dog tree 10 coon a night instead of 5 in a measly two hour hunt, cooking out with people, just enjoying the pleasure of the sport.

To remind everyone of my point......i personally like traveling around pleasure hunting with people. Have just as much of a time in the big mountains as in the big flat corn fields up north. I have no use for hunts anymore. I spend less money and have twice the fun. Which do you enjoy more???

Last edited by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 at 03:49 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-08-2012 03:39 PM
nc1484 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nc1484 Click here to Send nc1484 a Private Message Find more posts by nc1484 Add nc1484 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Toler
UKC Forum Member

I am new to the hunts. I had only pleasured hunted until May of this year. My wife looked at me the other day and asked if I realized how much time I was putting into the hunts? Traveling, money and so forth. I guess I didn't really until I slowed down to think about it. After talking with the wife I now think I am going to change up how I have been looking at this. I am going to pleasure hunt with my buddies a drop or two a few times a week. Hit the UKC events with my young females to get them their titles at the local clubs here to me. Then maybe some PKC from time to time until I make them PKC CH then go to Autumn Oaks, I have been going UKC on the weekends and 2 or 3 PKC during the week every week and yes I realized this past week the money I was spending and the time away from the family. Most of my experiences with the hunts has been good with good cast, but I have also had a couple bad ones. The other night my little dog started out the first drop with third strike second tree for us to get there and her meet us way off the tree and she wouldn't go back to the tree until after the dogs were handled. (Not her style) Second tree she gets first tree to again meet us way off the tree, but this tree another male dog was bleeding from around the neck and so forth... the other dog in the cast wouldn't tree with the 4th dog in the cast at all... the 4th dog in the cast was always on the wood though... well I basically wasted my money in gas, food, entry fee and everything so that my dog would get ran off the tree by a mean dog.

Home of:
GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' LB Red Hot Sweat "Rock" HTX (R.I.P ROCK, 1/27/13)
Former Home of PKC CH AKC CGN GRNITECH CH 'PR' Toler's TriColor Taz
2013 UKC World Qualified
2013 PKC World Qualified
2013/2014 AKC World Qualified
2013 WV State AKC Champion
2014 Ohio State AKC Champion
2014 WV State AKC Youth Champion

PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
E-TOWN KENNELS & SUPPLY
http://www.etownkennelssupply.com/default.html

Old Post 10-08-2012 04:31 PM
Tim Toler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Toler Click here to Send Tim Toler a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Toler Find more posts by Tim Toler Add Tim Toler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nc1484
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for your post Tim. That's exactly my point. I wrote everything down in a book. Start millage. End mileage. Gas. Hotels. entries. Then i write down what i won. Money and the value of the gear I won. I added up from my last run $7,600 real quick... with only $3,900 won. Winning 87% of my casts. I slept in my truck allot of the nights. That's $3,700 i lost.$3,700 i lost for what? A PKC Ch title? A $100 jacket? Whoo. Who cares. I love having a real coon dog. I care nothing about owning one on paper.

Last edited by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 at 06:26 PM

Old Post 10-08-2012 04:54 PM
nc1484 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nc1484 Click here to Send nc1484 a Private Message Find more posts by nc1484 Add nc1484 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

Re: Competition hunting. UKC, PKC, AKC

When its all said and done and you can't follow a hound through the woods anymore you better be able to look back and feel good about where you've been. Was it a good journey, or not?

If you were after trophies, wins, fame and money you will be disappointed. Your trophies will get chucked into the trash at some point. Your wins will get lost among the wins of many others. Fame only lasts until the next person wins and gets their picture taken. The money, no matter how much it was, was spent LONG before you won it. The obvious rewards are shallow and fleeting.

On the other hand if you conducted yourself as an honest sportsman, stood up to bullies, big mouths, and crooks you will have respect from the people who you want to respect you. The rest will hate you and want to tear you down. Thats ok and to be expected.

If you put your own blood, sweat and tears into a dog and get the dog to where it can go search for game, smell a raccoon's track, run it to a tree and let you know they have some meat and fur for you, then you've fulfilled a primal relationship between man and dog thats many thousands of years old. Deep down in our brains we believe our survival depends on what that hunting dog does for us.

If you put your dog out there for others to evaluate and took your losses with class and your wins with humility you have something to be proud of that has more substance than a trophy or a dollar.

If you contributed to the sport and helped build and support it from the bottom with a better coondog, then you probably won't go totally unnoticed. If you crook your way through nite hunts, deal in false papers, lie when it benefits you, run your mouth about subjects you know nothing about, get barred from message boards and kennel clubs, then you won't go totally unnoticed, either. So, which do you want to be noticed for?

If you have done some things right, then you will have made a positive difference. You can look back and say, "yes, it was worthwhile" and move on with head held high.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Last edited by John D on 10-08-2012 at 05:14 PM

Old Post 10-08-2012 05:12 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nc1484
UKC Forum Member

Well i guess i did my part. I contributed to the sport of competition hunting many years but I guess you can hang it up for me. I'll always continue to support coon hunting plus all the other hunting i enjoy. So those of you who enjoy competing...live it up!

Last edited by nc1484 on 10-08-2012 at 06:31 PM

Old Post 10-08-2012 06:29 PM
jdc
UKC Forum Member

I just love it so thats what I do. I do what I can afford and I try to involve my family as much as possible. I think John D made some excellent sense with his post.

Home of
'PR' Nt CH PKC Ch Rack EM UP Hype
'PR' Hammer Down Ricky Bobby
'PR' Trash Route Tiny
Co-owner Tyler Gilkey

Old Post 10-08-2012 06:45 PM
jdc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdc Click here to Send jdc a Private Message Click Here to Email jdc Find more posts by jdc Add jdc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kydirtdog44
UKC Forum Member

competiton

TO ALL THAT SAY ITS A WASTE OF TIME , THATS YOUR OPINIONS AND ENTITLED TO THEM . I FOR ONE LOVE THE SPORT OR COON HUNTING AND ALSO THE COMPETION PART OF IT TO. IF NOT FOR THE NITE HUNST I WOULD HAVE MET SOME OF MY CLOSEST FRIEND. IVE WON ALOT OF MONEY BUT ALSO LOST LOST IF I SAT DOWN AND TRIED TO FIGURE IT UP I GARANTUEE IVE LOST MONEY .BUT I DID IT FOR THE LOVE OF THE SPORT AND LOVE OF COMPETION, NOT FOR TITLES .I LOVE TO COMPETE I LOVE TO HUNT A WINNERS THERE IS NO ROOM FOR LOSERS IN MY KENNEL WETHER ITS A COMPETION HUNT OR PLEASURE HUNT . I WON MY SHARE . LOST MY SHRE MADE GOOD FRIENDS AND ENEMIES, NITES OF LOST SLEEP HAD GOOD TIMES AS WELL AS BAD.I ASK MYSELF WOULD I DO IT ALL AGAIN, YES 100 TIME. GOING TO A HUNT TONITE IF IT HAPPENS TO BE MY LAST ILL HAVE ENJOYED EVERY MIN OF IT. IF U DO IT ,DO IT BECAUSE U LOVE THE SPORT OF COON HUNTING WETHER IT BE COMPETITION OR PLEASURE, JUST ENJOY WHAT U DO,AND WHAT U ENJOY

Old Post 10-08-2012 08:31 PM
kydirtdog44 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kydirtdog44 Click here to Send kydirtdog44 a Private Message Find more posts by kydirtdog44 Add kydirtdog44 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustinH23
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nc1484
But it's not just about the money. It's the heartache of disadvantages, crooks, the ethical part, and whatever else you want to throw in there. And also I'm not talking about doing it ever so often. I'm talking every weekend, or every week, all year, "chasing" the hunts. Putting aside the pleasure of the sport.

Sounds like dealing with good old every day life. There's crooked people, heartache and dissappointment with everything.

I've met far more good people at these hunts than bad. I enjoy going to all the different clubs around and meeting people and hunting areas I wouldn't normally get the chance to. In my short time of actually participating in the hunts I have found that you get what you give. I've learned some pretty good life lessons from the hunts, I"m sure some others have too.

Proud member of the Deer Creek Cartel

Founding Member of the BSKC. Making coon hunting great again.

Home of:

`PR` B$C Clifford (BoonexCopper)
`PR` Johnson Branch Stub (GitXCree)

Old Post 10-08-2012 08:53 PM
JustinH23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustinH23 Click here to Send JustinH23 a Private Message Click Here to Email JustinH23 Find more posts by JustinH23 Add JustinH23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Toler
UKC Forum Member

Please understand I do like the hunts and most people I have met due to the hunts, but am saying that I was putting a little to much into it, money and time wise and as far as me I have to back up a little and stay at the local hunts and not as often. I do like the hunts though really enjoy them and the people. If I could afford it I would be at a hunt everynight!!! I like them that well... was using the example of the other night as to what opened my eyes along with some nice comments from the wife haha.

Home of:
2013 UKC World Qualified
2013 PKC World Qualified

PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
E-TOWN KENNELS & SUPPLY

Old Post 10-08-2012 08:53 PM
Tim Toler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Toler Click here to Send Tim Toler a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Toler Find more posts by Tim Toler Add Tim Toler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bob country jr
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nc1484
Jculler8. You have no idea what your talking about. You must not have read that too thoroughly before you commented. I have lost a pile of hunts. I have won a pile also. I've hunted all the Kc's for 15 years. Have put many miles under my feet chasing some of the best dogs in the country. I've handled my own and been hired to handle. Have finished many hounds out in all the kennel clubs. Won allot of trophies, state jackets, coon hunting gear, and had many photos in the magazines. Not to mention a pile of money (but all that money doesn't even compare to what i have spent chasing those titles. Wasted thousands of dollars!). None of that winning or titles means anything to me

Well you keep talking about all this winning you have done all over the country for years in each registry that being said i have been around for alot of years even longer then you have as far as these hunts go and have kept up with all of them winners that is if you dont care what is your name.

Old Post 10-08-2012 09:11 PM
bob country jr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bob country jr Click here to Send bob country jr a Private Message Click Here to Email bob country jr Find more posts by bob country jr Add bob country jr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Most folks figure it out right fast. Don't take em 15 yrs to see they ain't making money. I know I lose. Can't even win a buddy hunt anymore but I enjoy em.

Old Post 10-08-2012 10:06 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gottabered
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Toler
I am new to the hunts. I had only pleasured hunted until May of this year. My wife looked at me the other day and asked if I realized how much time I was putting into the hunts? Traveling, money and so forth. I guess I didn't really until I slowed down to think about it. After talking with the wife I now think I am going to change up how I have been looking at this. I am going to pleasure hunt with my buddies a drop or two a few times a week. Hit the UKC events with my young females to get them their titles at the local clubs here to me. Then maybe some PKC from time to time until I make them PKC CH then go to Autumn Oaks, I have been going UKC on the weekends and 2 or 3 PKC during the week every week and yes I realized this past week the money I was spending and the time away from the family. Most of my experiences with the hunts has been good with good cast, but I have also had a couple bad ones. The other night my little dog started out the first drop with third strike second tree for us to get there and her meet us way off the tree and she wouldn't go back to the tree until after the dogs were handled. (Not her style) Second tree she gets first tree to again meet us way off the tree, but this tree another male dog was bleeding from around the neck and so forth... the other dog in the cast wouldn't tree with the 4th dog in the cast at all... the 4th dog in the cast was always on the wood though... well I basically wasted my money in gas, food, entry fee and everything so that my dog would get ran off the tree by a mean dog.
this is why i am struggling with putting my dog in her first hunt an first for me to cause if this happens to my dog somebody gonna get hurt!

Old Post 10-09-2012 01:44 AM
gottabered is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gottabered Click here to Send gottabered a Private Message Click Here to Email gottabered Find more posts by gottabered Add gottabered to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kydirtdog44
UKC Forum Member

competetuion

hey bud i dont know who u are, but im going give u a little friendly advise, i c that u r new to the hunts and thas great ,cause we have all been where u r . but going into your fist hunt with the attitude that u have . that spells disaster, so please stay away from the nite hunts if u feel that way , u get treated like u treat prople in theese things there are good and there r bad but go in with an open mind call ur dog for what it does, if u win the gerat and congralutions if u lose lose with dignity and walk away.

Old Post 10-09-2012 12:51 PM
kydirtdog44 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kydirtdog44 Click here to Send kydirtdog44 a Private Message Find more posts by kydirtdog44 Add kydirtdog44 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Toler
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by gottabered
this is why i am struggling with putting my dog in her first hunt an first for me to cause if this happens to my dog somebody gonna get hurt!

gottabered,

Just a question... who you going to whip?? everyone "THINKS" they know which dog is doing it... and probably are correct but no one gets to see what is going on... so you just going to jump and start something with someone?? This is a chance that it will happen and if you go to hunts with a chip on your shoulder to start with you are going to have more bad experiences then good, so to save you some time, money and aggreviation and maybe from getting barred you may want to consider not participating, because things are going to happen and you will get upset from time to time... but it is how you handle those situations as to how you will be recieved from now on..

Home of:
2013 UKC World Qualified
2013 PKC World Qualified

PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
E-TOWN KENNELS & SUPPLY

Old Post 10-09-2012 03:53 PM
dperry
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by SCOTT ENGLE
i've been coonhunting for many, many years! i still love it! i enjoy going to the hunts! great sport!

If we all had a dog like yours we would like it too!

Old Post 10-09-2012 04:03 PM
dperry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dperry Click here to Send dperry a Private Message Find more posts by dperry Add dperry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Farron Barron
UKC Forum Member

Everyone loves to win. The problem is you have to learn how to lose. Every 4 dog cast has 3 losers. Once you learn how to lose with class and not make all the excuses I see on this board all the time the wins will come. A man has to be honest with himself about the dog he is has on his leash. If you are hunting a below average dog but in your mind you have told your buddies all the stories about all the coons you are treeing, when you go to town and it looks like garbage it will come natural to make an excuse. Mean dog, got cheated, wouldn't see my coon, the list goes on an on. Until you are honest with yourself about what kind of dog you are leading you mostly likely will settle for less than a coondog

Old Post 10-09-2012 04:08 PM
Farron Barron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Farron Barron Click here to Send Farron Barron a Private Message Find more posts by Farron Barron Add Farron Barron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote