UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Aluminum Box Insulation
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Aluminum Box Insulation

How well does the plastic corrugation that a lot of the aluminum boxes have for insulation actually work? I currently have a wood box with styrofoam board insulation and it keeps the dogs very comfortable. With that being said its getting to the point that I am going to need a new box soon, so I was just looking at my options. I live in Michigan so we get temperature ranges from below zero to 100.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-30-2019 02:38 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

I've used boxes for years with the plastic insulation and even though we dont usually experience the extreme cold the dogs do ok. Just suggest in extreme cold close the vents and in extreme heat open them and keep moving. Hope you have a sense of humor cause i'm gonna suggest if it's below zero, stay home. If it's 100 degrees out, stay home. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old Post 09-30-2019 03:43 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I was concerned about the heat issue in full sun. So, back in 1993 when I bought my aluminum diamond plate dog, I crawled into it about 3:00 pm on a blistering hot day. I was surprised at how well it buffered the hot metal. That being said, I still wouldn't leave dogs in it for a length of time without the vehicle moving.

In the winter, I would always add plenty of straw.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 09-30-2019 05:34 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
I was concerned about the heat issue in full sun. So, back in 1993 when I bought my aluminum diamond plate dog, I crawled into it about 3:00 pm on a blistering hot day. I was surprised at how well it buffered the hot metal. That being said, I still wouldn't leave dogs in it for a length of time without the vehicle moving.

In the winter, I would always add plenty of straw.

This is probably the only time in my life I have ever disagreed with Larry.

I do not add anything to my box. I realize I don't have the extreme cold he has but it just makes a mess IMO and doesn't help much. It gets in the cracks and causes issues with doors closing and it gets wet causing the dogs to be less comfortable than just the insulation alone.

That is just my opinion. If I wanted more than the blue insulation I would add one of the good dog box pads I could take out.

Old Post 09-30-2019 06:59 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Howdy Rip,

LOL, but I do have those nice dog pads in my dog boxes. Yes it can be extra work. You will need to watch it to make sure it doesn't get wet. However, I will say this after getting home on a January night there are times ole pot licking biscuit eater doesn't want to come out of the box.

I am surprised no one commented on me crawling into the box.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 09-30-2019 07:37 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Seneca, the only box that has true insulation that keeps dogs warm in cold and cool in heat.

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 09-30-2019 08:08 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnharris
Seneca, the only box that has true insulation that keeps dogs warm in cold and cool in heat.

I will agree that Seneca makes a very high quality dog box that is insulated very well. However that statement isn’t completely true. Regal dog boxes and houses have 1” foam board insulation in the walls and have been that way for 25+ years. I owned the company at one time and built many of them. They are still owned by friends of mine Bob and Darlene Edinger 330-359-5657. Back during the time I built them , I tested all kinds of dog boxes with thermometer and letting them sit in sun and in the cold.All of them get hot without air moving in them, but all my research showed the aluminum boxes with the plastic cardboard looking insulation in them got much hotter in heat and colder in cold conditions. Think about it, aluminum is a super thermal conductor.

Old Post 09-30-2019 11:52 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Was unaware Regal was still is building boxes, hadn’t seen anything from them in awhile.

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 10-01-2019 01:37 AM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I bought an aluminum diamond plate dog box in 1996 from a guy in Michigan.
He was a distributor not the manufacturer. I want to say it was a Diamond Deluxe but I'm not certain that's correct. At the time, I believe they were the first on the market with the welded aluminum diamond plate box. I was using it mainly for my beagles. My biggest issues were when it rained the box would get wet inside. Rain would get in the vents even when closed and also around the doors. The issue in the winter was condensation. Which will happen with any dog box if there isn't a means of venting the condensation. The condensation will collect on metal faster then it will on most any other material. That aluminum box I had only had that thin blue air cell type insulation on the floor and walls. Top was sheet aluminum.

I run a Leer fiberglass cap or some call a topper on my trucks so what I find works best is a cap/topper with slider windows and screens and I use 2 shipping crates big enough for 1 coon dog in each inside the cap/topper. I buy my trucks with sliding rear windows and get one in the cap/topper as well. When it's hot I open both sliding side windows and the slider on the cap/topper. When it's hot if the trucks parked the dogs are removed from the boxes. If it's moving the air flow keeps them comfortable. I live in northern New England so really don't have as much of the extreme heat as many of you have. It does get cold though!!

Old Post 10-01-2019 02:06 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruttinbuck
UKC Forum Member

Dogbox

It was probably a Continental.

Old Post 10-01-2019 02:51 AM
ruttinbuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruttinbuck Click here to Send ruttinbuck a Private Message Click Here to Email ruttinbuck Find more posts by ruttinbuck Add ruttinbuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

That's exactly what it is! It's still in use. I gave it to my best friend in 2004. He uses it for his coon hounds and in the winter for the hare hounds.

Old Post 10-01-2019 11:57 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. Seneca looks like a very nice box. DL NH, I have always wanted to use a fiberglass topper with a box underneath just wasn't sure how well the dogs would do in the summertime. If i did that I would probably use the Dakota kennel or the gunner kennel.

Old Post 10-01-2019 03:42 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote