UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Probably beating a dead horse
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TDS.Walkers
UKC Forum Member

Probably beating a dead horse

Yes, this is a feed question.

I’m currently feeding Purina pro-plan sport (performance) 30/20 but with temperatures rising I’ve been a little skeptical about the ratio being to high and causing the dogs to get hot faster in the summer heat.
Purina offers a sport (active) which is a 26/16 formula.
Would it be ideal to switch them over to the lower ratio or leave them on what I’m feeding now in hopes they don’t have any issues.

I’m open to all opinions and other feed recommendations.

Thanks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-03-2020 11:24 PM
TDS.Walkers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDS.Walkers Click here to Send TDS.Walkers a Private Message Click Here to Email TDS.Walkers Find more posts by TDS.Walkers Add TDS.Walkers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brlan90
UKC Forum Member

I feed the regular dog chow during from now til right around season they don’t need a lot of fat or protein right now I’ve seen em get hot to fast on high pro feeds this time of year just my 2 cents

Old Post 05-04-2020 01:06 AM
brlan90 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brlan90 Click here to Send brlan90 a Private Message Click Here to Email brlan90 Find more posts by brlan90 Add brlan90 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Dog Feed

The harder a dogs digestive system has to work the more heat will be generated. It depends on the quality source of protein, how well the carbohydrate source is gelatinized or cooked and the digestibility of the fiber. There are a lot of half truths out there which means they are half false.
A dog digests the easiest to digest until they meet their bodies requirement. Fat is easiest to digest, then carbohydrates and protein is the hardest to digest thus it generates more heat. Uncooked starch also is hard to digest.
What is the condition of the dogs body? Are you trying to maintain it? Increase weight or decrease weight?

All that being said in the summer I have found that a 18-20% fat and 23-24% of highly digestible protein is the best.

All meat diets are not always highly digestible. Bones, hide and feathers create a lot of body heat.

Old Post 05-04-2020 02:10 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I feed a high fat high protein year around. Without getting into grain or no grain debate. I think conditioning is very important just like any other athlete. The nutritional and bioavailability play a big role. All feeds aren’t equal even if fat and protein content listed on the bag are the same. Some proteins sources offer more bioavailability than other. The same goes for ingredients used for carbs and fat.

Old Post 05-04-2020 02:24 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TDS.Walkers
UKC Forum Member

@ Kler Kry, I’m really just looking to maintain the weight they’re at. I try to keep them in the woods at least 3 nights a week in the off season to keep in them in shape. That being sometimes just one quick drop if it’s hot.

Old Post 05-04-2020 05:04 AM
TDS.Walkers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TDS.Walkers Click here to Send TDS.Walkers a Private Message Click Here to Email TDS.Walkers Find more posts by TDS.Walkers Add TDS.Walkers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote