UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Accidental Inbreeding
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Breeding dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
What's really a trip Is people applying human terminology to animals, while inbreeding is taboo in humans it's real common in animals. You can get the best or worst traits by inbreeding, you just have to know what traits are dominant and desired. In the wild inbreeding is very common with animals, some good results and some not so good, but it's been going on since time began and will continue. Dave

We as humans linebreed and inbreed animals and not many of use do a good job in picking the best pups or animals for future breedings...matter of fact we provide the best care for the pups by using heat lamps supplemental feedings, worming and vaccinations...and then we breed almost every pup that makes an average dog...we don’t cull according to Mother Nature’s laws...

In the wild...Mother Nature does not make mistakes...truly it’s the best that survive...the rest she will culls...the best are the strongest live to breed another day...

It is mother nature’s law...SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-17-2020 02:58 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rueben

You are correct as usual, survival of the fittest is mother nature's way of culling the weak . Man gives as much support to the weak as he does to the strong, just as you said, man does not really know what the best in any litter, he is just guessing. Nature appears to be cruel in man's eyes, but survival of a species is more important than survival of a weak offspring. Without man's interference many of today's domesticated species would not survive long in the wild. Dave

Old Post 04-17-2020 04:01 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

WART

"Inbreeding was done a lot in ancient times many Kings and queens were closely inbred"

Cleopatra parents was brother and sister, then she married her younger brother and later killed him so her son would sit on the throne.

Could that be why we started having a little heat at the tree??? Because someone was a "hard" tree dog, ruff, but a hard tree dog so they bred to him/her and then half brother sister crosses and so on and so on. You have to cull when you breed like this and the one who has to do it is the owner of the litter. They are the ones who see first hand how they act as puppies. As is written in Mr Wehle's column, you have to know what is inherent not trained when line/inbreeding.

Old Post 04-17-2020 12:43 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Cousin crosses.

Always regretted afterwards.

Tar

Old Post 04-17-2020 01:03 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boondok Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Inbreeding/line breeding happens in people more than we think. Go to Walmart....

*Buck Creek Fancy
*Buck Creek Rambler
*Ch Blaster's Big Roller...RIP
*Buck Creek Sugie...RIP
*GrNiteCh Buck Creek Hitler...RIP

Old Post 04-17-2020 01:23 PM
Boondok Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boondok Kennels Click here to Send Boondok Kennels a Private Message Find more posts by Boondok Kennels Add Boondok Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Breeding dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
It is mother nature’s law...SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST...

Survival of the fittest or survival of the meanest or most aggressive?

Old Post 04-17-2020 01:42 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

Inbreeding- linebreeding is the same thing. It should never be done that's what produces two headed animals and inferior immune systems. I have always wondered if that's how we got thyroid dogs.
When it was tried in hogs and cattle in started with leg problems, feet problems all kinds of joint issue's, not to mention some was so stupid they couldn't find the feed trough.
This is why we all should be looking more at the x-breed. It's a fact that crossbreeds are more rugged and healthy in most cases. With that said you still need to be breeding coon dogs to coon dogs.
I don't know if there is anything that hurts a breed more then breeding so called BROOD BITCHES. If that hound can't run and tree a coon , and she don't have a good mouth, and good conformation don't breed her. A simple 22 will help a breed out tremendously. If my female accidentally got in-breed I would pay for the shot to make her abort the pups.

Old Post 04-17-2020 05:27 PM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Boondok Kennels
Inbreeding/line breeding happens in people more than we think. Go to Walmart....
In some of these small towns probably more than you think. Sometimes kids are told who not to date. lol

Old Post 04-17-2020 08:08 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

If your in Walmart the other people might be saying the same thing about you.

Old Post 04-17-2020 09:06 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BuckeyeBoys
Inbreeding- linebreeding is the same thing. It should never be done that's what produces two headed animals and inferior immune systems. I have always wondered if that's how we got thyroid dogs.
When it was tried in hogs and cattle in started with leg problems, feet problems all kinds of joint issue's, not to mention some was so stupid they couldn't find the feed trough.
This is why we all should be looking more at the x-breed. It's a fact that crossbreeds are more rugged and healthy in most cases. With that said you still need to be breeding coon dogs to coon dogs.
I don't know if there is anything that hurts a breed more then breeding so called BROOD BITCHES. If that hound can't run and tree a coon , and she don't have a good mouth, and good conformation don't breed her. A simple 22 will help a breed out tremendously. If my female accidentally got in-breed I would pay for the shot to make her abort the pups.

You might want to google Superior Pointers.

Old Post 04-17-2020 09:43 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
You might want to google Superior Pointers.
You might want to google inbreeding .

Old Post 04-18-2020 12:52 AM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Obviously, the writer of your article failed. Superior Pointers is very successful.

Old Post 04-18-2020 01:20 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Guys

To each his own opinion, but there are a lot of success stories from inbreeding. There has never been a new breed of any animal without heavy linebreeding. We CAN NOT apply our human morals and thought process to animals, it's definitely not the same. Any breeding program that's successful must be willing to cull hard and have the sense to know what traits are good and what traits are bad as to what you are trying to achieve in your breeding program. Inbreeding intensifies all traits both good and bad, but if the good out weighs the bad, it is a success. Dave

Old Post 04-18-2020 02:35 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I don't know if there is anything that hurts a breed more then breeding so called BROOD BITCHES. If that hound can't run and tree a coon , and she don't have a good mouth, and good conformation don't breed her.

Now there's a false statement.

Old Post 04-18-2020 04:02 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:

If you're serious about the brood bitch thing only thing I'll say is this...... The very best reproducing bitch I've seen in person could hardly tree a coon. She struggled at every aspect, she didn't hunt very hard, she struggled on all tracks, and would only bark treed 50% of the time. But she reproduced the complete opposite from herself. Big hunters,, track drivers (for the most part) and stay put tree dogs. And she's on pkc's all time reproducing list for females. So if your brood bitch theory was correct then there wouldn't be some very nice dogs like "Cable's little Money", Hell on Heelz (PKC world champ), Vogel's Jewel (was S&M Trashy Jewel '17 Spring SS champ), and I can keep going on that list but those are suffice for my point.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 04-18-2020 05:09 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I've raised running hounds most of my life. I kept the same line of dogs for a many years with very few out crosses. Since they where running dogs I was able to keep whole litters and go through them and keep the ones I liked and go from there. To make a long story short I'll say this. All my dogs looked alike ran alike sounded a like. The only time I got that outstanding hound was when I crossed a outside dog on my line bred dogs. But they would be hit and miss some would be sorry when they had a littermate burning it up. My line bred dogs seemed the whole litter was the same but nothing outstanding just good solid hounds. Having running hounds you can train 20 at one time and see alot where a measuring of tree dogs of this way would be impossible. But the principal is the same. If you really want to learn about how to breed hounds find you a running dog man that's been at it awhile that's had success for a many years. And he will teach you something. Just by the volume of dogs that that person has seen. By the time a running dog is 2 it will be what it's going to be.

Old Post 04-18-2020 10:48 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I've fox hunted with a man that's a good bit older than me for a long time, so that means he's real old. He is totally against line breeding, in fact he said I was crazy for how I breed my dogs. He breeds to what ever that's winning. He will get one that will wear you out for a couple of years then a good long dry spell. Then 5 years later he's back on top kicking my butt. But he forgets about the 5 years in between I was tearing his butt up. So you can look for that fluke or stay steady it's up to you. Of course that top coondog will tear butt up for 8 years if you can find that good one.

Old Post 04-18-2020 11:28 AM
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

GOOOD GRAVY THIS TOPIC RUFFLES SOME FEATHERS
LOL

LOOKS TO ME AS INBREEDING CAN BE DONE AND SUCCESSFUL...BUT ITS GOT TO BE DONE BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOIN...

Old Post 04-18-2020 01:33 PM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

And this too...

A PERSON THAT SAYS..."OH IVE BEEN DOIN THIS FOR 50 YEARS ,YOU CANT TELL ME A DADGUM THING!!"

WELL THIS IS WITH EVERYTHING..

YEAH YOU BEEN DOIN IT FOR 50 YEARS BUT YOU BEEN DOIN IT WRONG FOR 50 DAM YEARS..

A PERSON THATS BEEN DOING IT RIGHT FOR 10 YEARS HAS GOT AN UPPER HAND ON THE HARD HEADED KNOW IT ALL FOOL THATS BEEN DOIN IT WRONG FOR 50 YEARS..

Old Post 04-18-2020 01:39 PM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:

all of this is total Bull except the 22 will help.

Old Post 04-18-2020 01:59 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I got a buddy that raises bucking bulls. To get some of their best ones they breed them back to their sister or mother. But he also said what also makes them quality buckers also makes them hard to keep in a fence and mean and hyper and destructive.

Sound familiar ?

Tar

Old Post 04-18-2020 02:16 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rick St.Clair
Now there's a false statement.

Thinking like this is why we got short eared, no mouth, deformed looking, **** stomping hounds that bark all day long in the kennel.

Old Post 04-18-2020 03:56 PM
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
all of this is total Bull except the 22 will help.

Inbreeding animals
Humanity hasn’t just used inbreeding to retain regal status, it is also deployed in breeding animals. Mice used in lab experiments are often inbred, as the similar genetic structures enable experiments to be repeated. Controlling outcomes is also the motivation for inbreeding in the farming industry, with cows being bred to increase milk yields and sheep are careful selected to produce more wool.

Boxers weren’t the only breed to have limited genetic variety. 12,000 Border Collies had the genetic population of about 50. ’© Dario Dusio/Getty
Boxers weren’t the only breed to have limited genetic variety. 12,000 Border Collies had the genetic population of about 50. ’© Dario Dusio/Getty
There is evidence that suggests inbreeding certain animals can have more of a negative impact than a positive one. The two largest populations of koalas in Australia could cease to exist by just one disease, due to them being so so heavily inbred, scientists have warned. A study, headed by Dr David Balding, examined inbreeding in pedigree dogs. Like the animals bred for farming, particular traits are encouraged in pedigree dogs, including their height and the quality of their fur. The study found that a large proportion of pedigree dogs suffered from conditions caused by recessive alleles such as heart disease, deafness and abnormal development of their hip joints. The problem is more alarming than it might seem on the surface. 20,000 pedigree boxer dogs would have the generic variety of around 70 dogs.

Old Post 04-18-2020 04:10 PM
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

Re: Breeding dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
What's really a trip Is people applying human terminology to animals, while inbreeding is taboo in humans it's real common in animals. You can get the best or worst traits by inbreeding, you just have to know what traits are dominant and desired. In the wild inbreeding is very common with animals, some good results and some not so good, but it's been going on since time began and will continue. Dave

Amen

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 04-18-2020 04:22 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The best dogs I ever owned came from three men and the foundation female I used was out of a world champion coon and squirrel dog and out of one of his best daughters...I line bred and inbred 7 generations from those dogs...and the very best pups I picked as best I could for hunting and breeding...every pup I kept made early starting dogs that could do it alone or with company...

Got out of it for a few years and I have gone through many culls and sometimes the pups I keep I will get rid of before a year of age because I am not looking for average...

When we breed our own we have a better chance of keeping the best of them...breed for natural ability...the ones that don’t require much training...just exposure and showing them the game we want...there are lots of little things to look at in a pup...

For instance; can the pup take a whooping and get back up in their face or will it cower for the next three months or will it be ruined...I don’t like either of those options..,

Those that get back up in their face excite me...and when they are on track to becoming a better than average dog is exciting as well...breeding this way begets more of the same more often than not...

Old Post 04-18-2020 04:32 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote