UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Demanding accuracy
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
Yes there are trees we may send mixed signals too
But, that dog catches on pretty quick. He knows you spending more time and petting him more around them coon trees.
I never stroke a dogs side at a tree or say a word till I find a coon. Then I praise a bit.
It don’t bother me to grab one up in the middle of the summer and get into their rear end on the biggest leafiest tree you can imagine. Yeah, have I knocked them off some coons before yes has it been a lot heck no.
A person let’s them get by with it all summer making excuses on leaves then when fall hits and the leaves drop we got look for more excuses

I realize I am different than most. My dogs get best of feed, medical, a very comfortable kennel, played with in the lot etc.
But, when I pop a snap that dog is my tool not my buddy until it reaches an old age.
Would you keep trying to work with a broken wrench or throw away and buy a new?
I look at it same way with a dog, if you can’t perform I don’t need a pet and if the tool can’t be mended I toss it like them.

Emotions versus reality is the seperation in life. Not only dogs but anything
I wanted to play basketball but I 5”5. Emotionally I thought I was as good as anyone realistically I wasn’t and that’s hard to accept sometimes.

Quit worrying you gonna make a dog nervous around a tree and he leave. If he leaves a slick you are making progress. But, keep it up. Most people half break dogs from slicks and possums and that’s why they leave as you get close. Carry the mission out

I not advocating abusing a dog. Do whatever you want to encourage good behavior and discourage bad

BUT HERE WERE THE WORK STARTS

It must be done over and over and over. It must be done so much that you question your sanity for being in the woods that much. It’s missed ballgames of the kids, it’s an upset wife because you missed another family function, it’s tired church services, it’s wore out boots, it’s tired mornings headed to work, it’s a dwindled bank account, a truck that’s falling apart, and miles and nights away from the ones you say you love.

The work part above is what separates the top ability hounds from just the dog that can tree a coon.

AND, in realistic thoughts none of the above mentioned things is worth it in the big picture of this world but the addiction is real for many and that addiction will cause that type of hound you dream about to become reality.

X2, Billy, that's what it takes to have a top coon dog and that's why most hunters will never have a top coon dog. Is it worth it? That's up to each man to ascertain. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-15-2021 05:42 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote