UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How were they selected?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

How were they selected?

This is a spin-off of “how were they trained?”...
How do you select a pup or young dog to be a potential “big winner”?

I think it has to be the perfect combination of training (trainer) and the right dog to be a winner in tough competition...

So what type of pup or dog does it take???
What type of socialization and exposure as a pup?

Last edited by Reuben on 12-20-2020 at 05:20 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-20-2020 03:31 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I pick a pup with a stout bottom side. Rarely, do you see winners or above average dogs carry a sub par bottom side pedigree or performer.

Old Post 12-20-2020 04:52 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Picking a Pup

I pick a pup from their actions. I want a pup that prefers my attention over food. Intelligence is the number and their desire to please me are first and foremost things that i check for. Their scenting ability and style of using there nose. There parents need to pass my approval as well.

Old Post 12-21-2020 05:54 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Starts with the PED, and like high ridge focus on the ladies. It takes me
5 to 6 yrs to find a dog worthy to breed to. ( Black and tan's have less options unless you like pack dogs). So I pretty much keep a score card on all the pups. At 4 weeks old I have a chalk board in the kennel with a list of things I value in a dog. The pups get points if they show me something I like. I started doing this cause I tend to favor the pup that looks most like the sire or dam. I weed out the ones with too much aggression. I look at conformation to avoid a dog that is going to be prone to injury. Then look for drive and grit and style of tracking. Then throw all that out the window cause the best two hounds I have ever owned were the ones left out of the litter that know one else wanted LOL.

Old Post 12-21-2020 01:24 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

After hunting and training hounds for over 60 years I have a unique way of picking a pup. Last year my friend had a litter of 11 pups. He asked me if I wanted one. I told him to sell what he could and I would take the one that was left. She treed a coon alone on her first trip to the woods at 6 months and 28 days and has been treeing them consistently ever since. She's the most natural pup I ever raised.

Old Post 12-21-2020 05:19 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

Take the last one left. That way you don't have to second guess if you picked the right one.

God only knows who we'd be without soldiers and Jesus.

Rack'em Up Willy pup
--County Line's Rammy(Rambo)

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy
*UKC win Friday night Red Bone days 2021
BnT TREE BANGIN BUFFORD the start of it all

Old Post 12-21-2020 06:12 PM
kybufford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kybufford Click here to Send kybufford a Private Message Click Here to Email kybufford Find more posts by kybufford Add kybufford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adamjohnson656
New UKC Forum Member

Take the whole litter, that way you know you get the best one! Lol

Old Post 12-21-2020 09:33 PM
Adamjohnson656 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adamjohnson656 Click here to Send Adamjohnson656 a Private Message Find more posts by Adamjohnson656 Add Adamjohnson656 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

It’s luck of the draw you will never know wat you have until it’s old enough to start foolin with, jam up pedigree or not

Old Post 12-22-2020 12:39 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ringo08
UKC Forum Member

The dog that gets put in the right hunters hands. No matter the pick order. Biggest deciding factor hands down.

Nitech Ch 'PR' Cornell's Hardwood Hurricane HTX

GrSqch 2017 Arklahoma Winter Classic Champion
The Outlaw Dottie

Old Post 12-23-2020 12:50 AM
Ringo08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ringo08 Click here to Send Ringo08 a Private Message Find more posts by Ringo08 Add Ringo08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wadepardue
UKC Forum Member

Pick a Pup

Picking a pup is just like buying a lottery ticket, but you have to wait a least a year to see if you have a Winner ...

Old Post 12-23-2020 03:17 AM
wadepardue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wadepardue Click here to Send wadepardue a Private Message Click Here to Email wadepardue Find more posts by wadepardue Add wadepardue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

When you don’t know much about the sire and dam and the only thing you know is hearsay...

The thing about hearsay means different things to different people so when you pick a pup from this type of situation it is like playing the lottery...you can test these pups and not like the end result...I’ve given away pups that I bought and they turned out ok but not to my standards...

I also bought dogs from way up north that were supposed to be good out of a certain bloodline and neither had a good nose...I bred that female to my main dog and got rid of all the pups by ten months of age...some made good dogs but I figured that the bloodline wasn’t what it needed to be...

A great foundation is most important in producing a high percentage of good dogs from a litter of pups...

Old Post 12-23-2020 12:43 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ringo08
The dog that gets put in the right hunters hands. No matter the pick order. Biggest deciding factor hands down.
Ding Ding Ding.....winner winner chicken dinner!! A Alpha will never train your hound 97% spend to much time in the pen, the for sale adds are full of them look for yourself......

Old Post 12-23-2020 01:09 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I respectfully disagree...
I believe the better answer is putting the right pup in the right hands...

You can be the greatest trainer of racing greyhounds

and he was given a beagle of the highest qualities to race and beat the greyhounds...could that best trainer ever get that beagle to win even 1 race?

If you want a great hound you need a top puppy and if you want that puppy to reach his potential then you need a top handler...

The puppy would have to be raised right as well...there are minimal requirements that need to be met...my opinion

Old Post 12-23-2020 02:06 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

A bad trainer can make a good pup bad but a good trainer can't make a bad pup good.

Old Post 12-23-2020 03:02 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I respectfully disagree...
I believe the better answer is putting the right pup in the right hands...

You can be the greatest trainer of racing greyhounds

and he was given a beagle of the highest qualities to race and beat the greyhounds...could that best trainer ever get that beagle to win even 1 race?

If you want a great hound you need a top puppy and if you want that puppy to reach his potential then you need a top handler...

The puppy would have to be raised right as well...there are minimal requirements that need to be met...my opinion

Your logic greyhounds/ beagles has no logic period......

Old Post 12-23-2020 03:09 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
Your logic greyhounds/ beagles has no logic period......

You agreed with picking any pup in the litter...that it was the hunter that made the pup...

I gave an example of what would happen to a top trainer that took a dog that could never win...even if he were the greatest trainer...

My example might not of been the best...

Picking any pup in the litter does not make a great dog just because a great handler/hunter raises and trains the pup...the pup has to have what it takes to make a top hunting dog...

If the pup doesn’t have it the only thing the great handler can do is train the pup to its maximum potential...and that’s if he keeps it that long...great handlers wouldn’t keep a pup like that very long on account they recognize the lack of top potential early on...

Old Post 12-23-2020 05:16 PM
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Ugly

Pick the ugly one. Good lord always gives an offset to a bad feature with a good feature. If they dont have the looks going for them then maybe they have the ability!