UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Wire Basket Muzzle??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Buckeye 01
UKC Forum Member

Wire Basket Muzzle??

How many of you have ever used one to keep a dog from butchering a tree. I have a 6 year old who aint no wonder dog by no means, but usually makes a walk to a tree worth it. The only fault of his that I dont like is his chewing. Not bad in the cool weather if he has been hunted, but take him out in the heat and if he hasnt been hunted he will butcher a tree. Still trees pretty good, and i dont know how for the damage he does.

Do these basket muzzels let the dog still fully open theri mouth??
Do you need to order them a little big??
Where is a good place to get them and what is a good price???

Any info is helpful. I enjoy everything about the dog except the chewing, but I am not going to look out of a deer stand and see butchered trees LOL

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-15-2011 08:42 PM
Buckeye 01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buckeye 01 Click here to Send Buckeye 01 a Private Message Find more posts by Buckeye 01 Add Buckeye 01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
boonetreecoon
UKC Forum Member

I got one the same way chews alot but never shuts up I don't know how he does it he actually chews and chops at the same time. But time would never ever get him well never has. Have you tried to break him yet? Hot sauce pepper that kind of junk?

Sorrells screamin fred

Old Post 05-15-2011 09:29 PM
boonetreecoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for boonetreecoon Click here to Send boonetreecoon a Private Message Click Here to Email boonetreecoon Find more posts by boonetreecoon Add boonetreecoon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BWSupplies
UKC Forum Member

If you can catch them doing it, a water gun with some watered down ammonia will whoa him up from chewing. Just spray where he's chewing, let him get in in his mouth, he'll give it up before long... Remember not to let him see ya do it !

bwsupplies@aol.com
704-791-7751
36479 NC HWY 49
New London, NC, 28127
President of the SBA
Member of the BBOA & BBCHA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwoods-Supplies/167389623298613

Old Post 05-15-2011 09:48 PM
BWSupplies is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BWSupplies Click here to Send BWSupplies a Private Message Click Here to Email BWSupplies Find more posts by BWSupplies Add BWSupplies to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mauser06
UKC Forum Member

why does the chewing bother you???

just asking...

i dont have a problem with them chewing so long as they keep barking and dont chew excessively...

ive found that when the 2 dogs i run chew, they are locked down, aint goin nowhere and got ole mister ringtail sitting up in the tree...seems they do it out of excitement...

but, i believe the older dog taught the younger to chew...she didnt do it till one nite they treed together and they both tore everything to shreds..now she chews at some trees..just like he does...

'PR' Trackman's Dizzy Duke

Old Post 05-15-2011 09:50 PM
mauser06 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mauser06 Click here to Send mauser06 a Private Message Find more posts by mauser06 Add mauser06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
boonetreecoon
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mauser06

just asking...

i dont have a problem with them chewing so long as they keep barking and dont chew excessively...

ive found that when the 2 dogs i run chew, they are locked down, aint goin nowhere and got ole mister ringtail sitting up in the tree...seems they do it out of excitement...

but, i believe the older dog taught the younger to chew...she didnt do it till one nite they treed together and they both tore everything to shreds..now she chews at some trees..just like he does...

I think mine chews as a locate. He needs to bite it and make sure its there. Taste the scent

Sorrells screamin fred

Old Post 05-15-2011 09:52 PM
boonetreecoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for boonetreecoon Click here to Send boonetreecoon a Private Message Click Here to Email boonetreecoon Find more posts by boonetreecoon Add boonetreecoon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckeye 01
UKC Forum Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just asking...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He chews bad enough to damage trees. I will get rid of him before i let him shred trees. I care less if a dog treed 3 truck loads of coons, if you dont like the way they do it. I know they all are going to have something we dont like, but butchering trees aint gonna happen. I get zero exciment out of shooting coons out, my excitment comes from a dog doing good work. I just wanted to know if any body had ever used a wire basket muzzel.

Old Post 05-15-2011 11:37 PM
Buckeye 01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buckeye 01 Click here to Send Buckeye 01 a Private Message Find more posts by Buckeye 01 Add Buckeye 01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mauser06
UKC Forum Member

i got ya...

cant help with the muzzle..to be big enough for him to bark naturally would be huge? think of how wide a dog opens its mouth...im not sure it would be effective to be worn while hunting...?

Old Post 05-15-2011 11:48 PM
mauser06 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mauser06 Click here to Send mauser06 a Private Message Find more posts by mauser06 Add mauser06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rory Cowles
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Buckeye 01

just asking...

He chews bad enough to damage trees. I will get rid of him before i let him shred trees. I care less if a dog treed 3 truck loads of coons, if you dont like the way they do it. I know they all are going to have something we dont like, but butchering trees aint gonna happen. I get zero exciment out of shooting coons out, my excitment comes from a dog doing good work. I just wanted to know if any body had ever used a wire basket muzzel.

It will work.

HOME OF
1992 World Nt. Ch. Gr. Nt. Ch. Cowles' Big River Jesse
1989 Gov. Cup Winner Ind. St. Ch. Gr. Nt. Ch. Cowles' Big River Sandy Jo
1998 English Purina Ch. 3rd overall Gr. Nt. Ch. Pkc. Ch. Cowles' Big River Lumber Jack
Gr. Nt. Ch. Pkc Ch. Cowles' Big River J.J.
Gr. Nt. Ch. Pkc Ch. Cowles' Big River Last Chance
Gr. Nt. Ch. Cowles' Big River John Boy
Gr. Nt. Ch. Cowles' Big River Blue Goose
Gr. Nt. Ch. Pkc Ch Cowles' Big River Jesse Lee, 2011 Ukc (Reserve World Ch.)2nd Place Overall 2013 SS and Performance sire
Nt Ch Cowles' Big River Spooky
Nt CH PR Cowles' Big River Jesse Who (2014 World CH English) 14th place overall.2016 United English Day's winner and high scoring dog overall.
PR Cowles' Big River Top Secret (rip)
Powered by VICTOR DOG FOOD
The KY Derby will never be won by a Quarter Horse.

Old Post 05-16-2011 12:23 AM
Rory Cowles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rory Cowles Click here to Send Rory Cowles a Private Message Find more posts by Rory Cowles Add Rory Cowles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
j lewis
UKC Forum Member

chewing trees

i got water race dogs each dog got to have a wire muzzel to race
i got a 4 year old skuna river bred hound i thought i would try a
muzzel on him after smashing 3 muzzel i stopped that. i have tried just about everything. he made night ch in 3 hunts in the winter but in the summer he may chew 3 to 5 min.so i use my garmin and im good to go. good luck j lewis

Old Post 05-16-2011 12:46 AM
j lewis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for j lewis Click here to Send j lewis a Private Message Click Here to Email j lewis Find more posts by j lewis Add j lewis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

i don't see how a dog chewing is going to hurt a tree much and besides, i could hardly carre less. i would be more concerned about the dog damaging his mouth or teeth.

Old Post 05-16-2011 01:15 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Old witer in Full Cry---

many years ago said to take some chew and mix some Hot Sauce with it and load their mouth up with it.

Old Post 05-16-2011 01:33 AM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kurt James
UKC Forum Member

you can try brass hog rings in their lips. guys have also cut out the dogs eye teeth or canines to help slow it down also. I figure a tree can live after being struck by lighting, chewing on it wont kill it.

Old Post 05-16-2011 02:26 AM
Kurt James is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kurt James Click here to Send Kurt James a Private Message Click Here to Email Kurt James Find more posts by Kurt James Add Kurt James to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckeye 01
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys. I have heard of several people using them. From what i am told they do not hender the dogs ablity to drink, or tree. I have heard that the effectivness dependends on how the dog reacts. My dad said he seen a guy hunt a dog that chewed real bad and when he put a basket muzzle on, the dog would just sit and lick the tree lol. I think I am going to give it a try.

As far as killing trees i disagree. A small tree can be killed very easy by a dog that chews, and a big tree can be damaged bad as well. I deer hunt the woods that i coon hunt, and have seen several trees that he has chewed loose their leaves before the others, and not reproduce them the next year.

Old Post 05-16-2011 03:05 AM
mauser06
UKC Forum Member

try the wire muzzle and see hw your dog taeks to it...might solve your problem...

id definitely agree they can damage and kill trees...

both mine typically dont chew the tree they are on if they can help it...but it will look like a chainsaw on crack hit the area...anything under 2" thick is usually bit in half...

but ive seen the male get ahold of some bark on a maple tree and strip it pretty badly...

used to have some pics of clear cuts around trees...but due to some hard drive crashes lost most...but heres 2 of the male i ran...he was a weee bit excited....lol

mostly vines and saplings near the tree they are on are in trouble if they are in a chewin mood...but both of them dont chew all the time..seems like its an excitement thing..usually a smokin hot track...

Old Post 05-16-2011 04:09 AM
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

We tried muzzleing a dog to keep him off Porkys in northern Michigan (couldn't break him) and it worked to a certain extent. He didn't like the muzzle and discovered once gone he had all the time he needed to get it off. Usually wound up hanging under his neck after he got good at it.

Old Post 05-16-2011 01:56 PM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckeye 01
UKC Forum Member

thanks

I wondered how fast a dog could learn to get them off. My dog will 90 percent of the time chew vines if they are on the tree or saplings at the base. If the tree is a hard bark such as cottonwood, oak or something he wont touch it hardly. In the spring when they are softer u could say, he will chew bad on a poplar or soft maple ect if no vines

Old Post 05-16-2011 03:33 PM
coonscry
UKC Forum Member

I think turning a dog loose in the woods with out it's best natural defense because of something like chewing on trees is a bad idea. What if coyotes come in to the dog or it catches a coon on the ground. Not to mention gets lost with a muzzle on. It would be like declawing a cat and leaving it outside to live in the barn.

Old Post 05-16-2011 05:31 PM
coonscry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonscry Click here to Send coonscry a Private Message Click Here to Email coonscry Find more posts by coonscry Add coonscry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

Anyone use a muzzle to stop the chewing? Paying to get some teeth cut out bc they broke with infection is not going to work.

The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win. Everyone wants to win but not everyone wants to prepare to win." - Bobby Knight

Old Post 08-24-2020 07:49 PM
Blacklabel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blacklabel Click here to Send Blacklabel a Private Message Click Here to Email Blacklabel Find more posts by Blacklabel Add Blacklabel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JMiller
UKC Forum Member

It don't bother a dog barking. My brother runs yotes inside pens and some of them require you to run muzzles so the hounds cant kill the yotes. You can zip tie the muzzle to you collar and they stay on.

Old Post 08-25-2020 05:23 PM
JMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMiller Click here to Send JMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email JMiller Find more posts by JMiller Add JMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JMiller
It don't bother a dog barking. My brother runs yotes inside pens and some of them require you to run muzzles so the hounds cant kill the yotes. You can zip tie the muzzle to you collar and they stay on.

Thanks for the reply

The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win. Everyone wants to win but not everyone wants to prepare to win." - Bobby Knight

Old Post 08-25-2020 06:26 PM
Blacklabel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blacklabel Click here to Send Blacklabel a Private Message Click Here to Email Blacklabel Find more posts by Blacklabel Add Blacklabel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

I own a male dog dog that is about the same way. Hard tree dog and chews more when hot or when he hasn’t been hunted in a long while. I don’t hunt him much anymore because he is damaging and killing trees. He will chew the bark off down to the sap wood. It will kill the tree or put a bad spot in the wood. They normally rot from the inside out when the bark is peeled off. I cut timber. I have went back to my farm and cut nice red oaks and other trees that have been chewed on because they were dead or dying.

Old Post 08-26-2020 05:20 AM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote