UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Where have all the good coon treeing dogs gone ?
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluff country
UKC Forum Member

Where have all the good coon treeing dogs gone ?

Now I'm not talking about these babbling slick treeing 60% accurate dogs . I'm in the market for a dog that is kennel quiet , yard dog smart ,when you turn it loose it's lookin for a coon not just travelling , can run a track in the right direction not just trail around all night , accurately locate the right tree with a coon in it and be a stay put good tree dog . Does this type of dog still exist or should I take up golf ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-22-2015 09:54 PM
bluff country is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluff country Click here to Send bluff country a Private Message Find more posts by bluff country Add bluff country to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rough country
UKC Forum Member

Take up go!f lol dogs not being bred to do the things your speaking of its all about the papers now

Old Post 03-22-2015 10:15 PM
rough country is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rough country Click here to Send rough country a Private Message Click Here to Email rough country Find more posts by rough country Add rough country to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Where have all the good coon treeing dogs gone ?

quote:
Originally posted by bluff country
Now I'm not talking about these babbling slick treeing 60% accurate dogs . I'm in the market for a dog that is kennel quiet , yard dog smart ,when you turn it loose it's lookin for a coon not just travelling , can run a track in the right direction not just trail around all night , accurately locate the right tree with a coon in it and be a stay put good tree dog . Does this type of dog still exist or should I take up golf ?

We have a young dog out of Reezen we are hunting by himself. He makes it look easy. We have been hunting him 2 weeks on public ground that has been pounded hard all season. He has treed 26 coons, 6 possums (working on that) 2 slick trees and 3 legit dens. Normally does it within a couple of hundred yards. Has a huge mouth but he doesn't say a word in the yard. Starts hunting as soon as you cut him. I like him better then any young dog I have hunted in 25+ years. So they are still out there.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 03-22-2015 10:31 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

your looking for something that is about impossable in todays dogs thier not bred like the old blood dogs back in 60s-80s they breed them to go like racehorses and to much tree bred in most lines jmo

Old Post 03-22-2015 10:34 PM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

YEP

Old Post 03-22-2015 11:13 PM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

In my pen! Come hunt any time. they are most deffinantly out there was playin fetch with mine in the yrd. then took him out and treed 4 singles. well mannered great mouth good lookin polite on the tree and accurate if you dont believe just pm me and come huntin! And he has had very limited coons out to him just likes to tree them and does it right. qualified him with the leaves off 625+ no minus one legit den. first tree on every coon. best young dog ive ever hunted.

Last edited by rthompson on 03-22-2015 at 11:53 PM

Old Post 03-22-2015 11:46 PM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rthompson
In my pen! Come hunt any time.
your to far away lol

Old Post 03-22-2015 11:51 PM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Im proud I aint gotta hunt none of them old dogs that dont start treeing untill they get 3 lol. These new uns will run all around them old ones and tree 5 times more coon. Yall really wasnt running coon 3 and 4 hrs back in the day. It was just a slow trash running bunch of hounds . Really a good one is hard to come by today,tomorrow,yesterday or 20 yrs ago.

Old Post 03-22-2015 11:55 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

Just a nice sunday drive!lol

Old Post 03-23-2015 12:01 AM
rthompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rthompson Click here to Send rthompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rthompson Find more posts by rthompson Add rthompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
Im proud I aint gotta hunt none of them old dogs that dont start treeing untill they get 3 lol. These new uns will run all around them old ones and tree 5 times more coon. Yall really wasnt running coon 3 and 4 hrs back in the day. It was just a slow trash running bunch of hounds . Really a good one is hard to come by today,tomorrow,yesterday or 20 yrs ago.
lol yea it's hard ta find a good honset hound these days ive had alot of dog's over the yrs that would tree a coon but ive only had 1 that i call a real coon dog

Old Post 03-23-2015 12:02 AM
yadkintar
Banned

I was glad when some of the studs of yesterday past to they're happy hunting grounds then come to find out they got a kazilion straws of seman stored on them. And a hole bunch of new young victims to sell it to for three times the price!!!!! Lol

Old Post 03-23-2015 12:09 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by hillbilly56
lol yea it's hard ta find a good honset hound these days ive had alot of dog's over the yrs that would tree a coon but ive only had 1 that i call a real coon dog
Thats the deal. Thousands out there that can tree a coon and people that don't know better think they are real coondogs. Then you go look at em and think what the crap lol.

Old Post 03-23-2015 12:15 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whats up
UKC Forum Member

quote:
call thomas sanders in sc he's got him drop dead fred

Old Post 03-23-2015 12:16 AM
whats up is offline Click Here to See the Profile for whats up Click here to Send whats up a Private Message Click Here to Email whats up Find more posts by whats up Add whats up to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.S. Kennels
UKC Forum Member

I believe there are some still out there...the few that are can't be bought for less than 4 digits most of the time if they are even for sale. I guess you get what you pay for. I have been lucky enough to own one like that and lucky enough to hunt with a few like that.

The Old Dog

Gunters Hardwoods Hank - Walker - Cumberland River Marvin x Peppermint Pepper

Girly Girl - Feist - Super Sport x Gannons Heidi

The Pups

Gunters Sweet Tn Kandy Kane - Redbone - Kodak x Ruby

Old Post 03-23-2015 12:19 AM
S.S. Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for S.S. Kennels Click here to Send S.S. Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email S.S. Kennels Find more posts by S.S. Kennels Add S.S. Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rthompson
UKC Forum Member

Well the way i see it is alot goes into hunting a dog say i buy a top pup at 500 buck feed it til its 6 months hunt it 3-4 nites aweek til its two. by then you have nearly 6000 dollars in this two yr. old dog! How many of them can u cut loose any were and tree coons? And then recast and tre another and another thats worth even more. so people buyin dogs for 1000 buck and expectin any thing are crazy or realy screwin somebody. most people that want the dog described arnt willin to pay then the guys that are get em run down buy the guys that are jealous their 500 dollar dog cant hang with them.

Old Post 03-23-2015 12:38 AM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Paulding Forest Bubba

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 03-23-2015 12:56 AM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Bone collector

Old Post 03-23-2015 01:08 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

I got a dog out of bark that makes coon treeing look easy also 3 young dogs out of him and different females they all make it look easy u are just looking in wrong places I will show mine any night of the week no excuse made I will sell one but he or she will not be cheap by no means.

Old Post 03-23-2015 01:08 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Where have all the good coon treeing dogs gone ?

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
Bone collector

Danged right.
More 'sense' in a concentrated dose than you're likely to find anywhere. Mine's smarter than her handler and it makes her a headache to figure out sometimes, but stupid she ain't.

Old Post 03-23-2015 02:28 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

Kennel quiet and yard dog smart would knock out prolly 50% of the good breed dogs today.

Old Post 03-23-2015 02:47 AM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

Those kind of dogs have never been plentiful.

Old Post 03-23-2015 02:58 AM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
Paulding Forest Bubba

way to few people have hunted with this dog. They don't understand the situation do they Conrad ? LOL

Old Post 03-23-2015 03:08 AM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rthompson
Well the way i see it is alot goes into hunting a dog say i buy a top pup at 500 buck feed it til its 6 months hunt it 3-4 nites aweek til its two. by then you have nearly 6000 dollars in this two yr. old dog! How many of them can u cut loose any were and tree coons? And then recast and tre another and another thats worth even more. so people buyin dogs for 1000 buck and expectin any thing are crazy or realy screwin somebody. most people that want the dog described arnt willin to pay then the guys that are get em run down buy the guys that are jealous their 500 dollar dog cant hang with them.

I remember when I was trying out dogs for sale. What disappointment. I drove about an hour to try out a dog for sale for $2,500. We didn't even see a coon that night. Only went to one tree. On one turnout the dog went back to the truck. If a man adverstises a dog for sale for $2,500 and he cannot even show you one single coon on HIS hunting ground and on one turnout the dog makes a loop back to the truck that man should PAY YOU about $200 just for gas and inconvenience. The best dog I ever owned was gave to me.

Old Post 03-23-2015 03:19 AM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rocky tanner
UKC Forum Member

I just got a 20 month old from Mark Looney off Big River Dan. She will stand on the tailgate and look you in the eye, like she knows what your thinking. She will gentle as a lamb raise up with her feet on my side , like she understands the pain I've suffered lately with 50 to 60% accuracy. Then she trots off like a good steady marathon runner. Opens just as soon as she smells a coon , then barks here and there, locates good trees steady and has been under at least 20 coons, 4 hollow trees , 1 that didn't have nothing and 1 possum that hunting about 2 nites a week and caught 1 on the ground almost forgot all on wild coons in and around Wrightsville GA................. Best I've seen since my Booty dog was 3 and way more broke LOL...she has treed coon in trees and places that I haven't been in several years

she hasn't babbled , opened out of place that I can tell, located trees and moved, dug or climbed out of the pen, she has not stomped in her crap or paced all day in the pen. she has barked in the dog box a few times and we gonna have to have a sit down about that, but she is quiet as a mouse around the house. and to BOOT she made nt ch at 14 months and won her Nt Ch. cast at Grand American in 2015

Good Luck on your search....

Old Post 03-23-2015 03:27 AM
rocky tanner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rocky tanner Click here to Send rocky tanner a Private Message Click Here to Email rocky tanner Find more posts by rocky tanner Add rocky tanner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cole sensabaugh
UKC Forum Member

I would suggest you going hunting with one of Herman bowlings dogs straight up guy that don't care to show you what he's got. Can't beat that any where

Home of:
Nitech Ch“Pr” Big moneys piggy bank
Grnitech "pr" Rock Lick Smooth and Sassy HTX (r.i.p)

Old Post 03-23-2015 03:59 AM
Cole sensabaugh is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Cole sensabaugh Click here to Send Cole sensabaugh a Private Message Click Here to Email Cole sensabaugh Find more posts by Cole sensabaugh Add Cole sensabaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote