UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > John Wick Looking for Preacher Fans
Pages (22): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
John Wittenborn
UKC Forum Member

JIM,

I'm not sure, but I think that the Preacher dog was going good in the early 70's, maybe even the late 60's??????????? The dog that I bought in 82 & was born in 80, was a Great Grand son of Preacher. He went back to Preacher through a nice dog out of Preacher, called TEXAS COUNTY REVERAND.

That blanket back, with the RICH TAN COLOR running down one or more of the legs was a good indicator, that the dog could have Preacher Blood in it. The ones that I was around also were a TALL, RANGY type of dog. They were maybe the MOST HONEST LINE OF TREE DOGS, that I was around since that time also.

I commented on a thread on here several months ago, about dog's that helped INFLUENCE THE WALKER BREED, & I mentioned the Preacher line of dog's in it.

I really believe that if a person could find some Preacher Blood up close, that we, (AS SHEEP WOULD SAY) could put some HONESTY back in some of these dog's, MINE INCLUDED. Then I could answer JESSE WALTER'S thread, & say 20 TREE'S, & 20 COON SEEN, LOL.

CUTLER, AMERICA

Good judgement, is something that you get from using bad judgement.--Will Rogers

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-01-2007 11:37 AM
John Wittenborn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Wittenborn Click here to Send John Wittenborn a Private Message Click Here to Email John Wittenborn Find more posts by John Wittenborn Add John Wittenborn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sheepster
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Ok sheep....so how far back? 8 generations back? 10? If it is more than 5 generations back, do you think it still carries any influence with the present generation? How much?

All DNA has to come from somewhere. It don't just happen. Who knows.

Old Post 02-01-2007 11:55 AM
sheepster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sheepster Click here to Send sheepster a Private Message Find more posts by sheepster Add sheepster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sheepster
Banned

Re: John Wick Looking for Preacher Fans

quote:
Originally posted by John Wick
Hello everyone. This is Lisa, John Wick’s secretary, posting the following message from him. (John doesn’t type on the computer because of arthritis in his hands.)

In the late 70’s, I owned and promoted a Treeing Walker named Brinkley’s Ozark Preacher. He was unique in color, brains, and lay-up ability. The most amazing fact about him was that he produced only twenty litters of pups in his lifetime, but at least two-thirds of the Walkers you see in the magazines these days go back to Preacher at least once. At least half the Treeing Walkers currently being promoted and the pups being sold have Preacher behind them multiple times––often four or five—and yet very few people realize this. All of the Stylish dogs and some dogs of other bloodlines are actually founded on Ozark Preacher blood. If it wasn’t for ole Preacher, none of these dogs would exist today. I know Walker pedigrees and I study them, and there are very, very few of the high-achieving Walkers that don’t have Preacher one or more times. If you doubt that, call me and I’ll tell you where it is. I’ve been in Walkers nearly 50 years, and I’ve never known a dog that bred so few females that created such a huge and long-lasting impact. Nothing else even close.

We’re in grave danger of letting Preacher blood get watered down and fade away, and it’s time to do something about it!! After a few semi-sleepless nights, I’ve decided to find out who wants to help on this project. We can share information and tips about dogs we know. Maybe we can start an Ozark Preacher Breeder’s Club. There are many possibilities, and I’d like to hear any thoughts you have.

If you hunt Walkers, I’m betting you have some Preacher in them somewhere. But for this project, I think we need to be especially concerned about finding the real good Preacher-bred dogs THAT ALSO POSSESS THE UNIQUE PREACHER COLORING. Some folks dislike that color; many others absolutely love it. The truth is that most of the greatest reproducing Preacher bred dogs; the ones that helped create unheard of long-lastingness for this bloodline, were those so-called Preacher colored dogs. Tan or red head, totally black blanket-backed, tan or red down to their knees or further, white tip of the tail, white ankles and feet, white belly and chest, many with a white-ringed neck or partial ring, some with no white on the neck. For me, it’s not so much what I think about the coloring, it’s that I’ve had many dogs with this coloring that I greatly enjoyed. Isn’t that what most of us are actually hunting for? And yes, I still have some Preacher-colored dogs that I hunt and enjoy and many of you folks do also.

The Preacher blood has been mixed in with all other Walker bloodlines and usually successfully so. IT’S TIME FOR SOME OF US TO START BREEDING PREACHER-COLORED DOGS TO OTHER PREACHER-COLORED DOGS TO PRESERVE THIS FOR ANYONE WANTING SOME. This can produce some of the nicest, most enjoyable, and most natural hounds it’s possible to create. Yes, Preacher’s been gone for many years, but there’s no denying that in the dogs that possess that color, ole Preacher is still alive and still able to greatly contribute to our quest for honest, balanced, sensible, and enjoyable dogs.

Please spread the word and get in touch with me or my secretary, Lisa, and we’ll all figure out what will work best for dozens or perhaps hundreds of us to work together on this project. Because I don’t use the computer, please let me know if you’re interested by writing to me at 55 Dutch Lane, Montgomery City, 63361 or calling me at 573-564-6146 or 573-564-3028 (noon until dark). Any and all comments, thoughts, and ideas are welcomed and appreciated here on the message board, or by calling or writing. Lisa will keep track of your names and contact info and maybe we’ll come up with a newsletter. BUT ABOVE ALL, LET’S MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

P.S. I have a female that needs to be bred Friday, February 2. If you have a super-nice Preacher-colored male, call me quickly. Maybe I’ll give you some business.

Tell John thanks for the book "Walk with Wick". Very good book.

Old Post 02-01-2007 11:56 AM
sheepster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sheepster Click here to Send sheepster a Private Message Find more posts by sheepster Add sheepster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capt_agricultur
UKC Forum Member

The longer there dead the better they get

Old Post 02-01-2007 01:46 PM
capt_agricultur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for capt_agricultur Click here to Send capt_agricultur a Private Message Click Here to Email capt_agricultur Find more posts by capt_agricultur Add capt_agricultur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rocky tanner
UKC Forum Member

Mr. John: I spoke with you at The Winter Classic. I'm the one that told you about picking up the young dog at the airport and winning a 3rd place that night. I found his papers and wanted to know if you remembered him or his mama and daddy.

................Gr. Nt. Ch. Pr' Luke The Drifter
.......... Pr' Webb's Drifting Dandy
................Pr' Jones' Drifting Candy
...Nite Ch. Stylish Buster
................Gr. Nt. Ch. Pr' Wick's Stylish Banjo
..........Pr' Wick's Stylish Raven
................Gr. Nt. Ch. Abells Beanblossom Crow

He was born on July 4th 1985. He made Nt. Ch. at a young 2 years old. I enjoyed him until I was well into College. He had an extremely long bawl mouth on track and a long quivering bawl on the tree. He's probably the reason why I'm still hunting now. I'm gonna try to post a picture of him.

Old Post 02-01-2007 02:39 PM
rocky tanner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rocky tanner Click here to Send rocky tanner a Private Message Click Here to Email rocky tanner Find more posts by rocky tanner Add rocky tanner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM

Mr Wick says "We are in grave danger of letting the Preacher blood get watered down and fade away".

If you must go back 6,7 or more generations to even find the Preacher name in a pedigreee, isn't it already gone for good? How many generations can a dogs blood be diluted and still make a mark? It would seem to me that the Preacher line has already met extinction.

Old Post 02-01-2007 02:39 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy Carter
UKC Forum Member

I enjoy the looks of those dogs. I have had some colored that way that where nice. now, I have a sincere question and am not bashig. Where they good because of bloodline or because they looked a certain prototype. If we simply breed back to keep the preacher look going would we not be like the redbone breed and breed for color? just a question.

Old Post 02-01-2007 02:51 PM
Billy Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy Carter Click here to Send Billy Carter a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy Carter Find more posts by Billy Carter Add Billy Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

I always wondered if there was a Trigg in the woodpile somewhere in the Preacher blood.

He was definitely a predominant sire in his day.

Old Post 02-01-2007 03:09 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smokin-1-mo
UKC Forum Member

i have some photos of preacher if i can find them i will post......also of reverend,flash and a few others these where direct sons..........i got the pictures from paul jefferies.........

Old Post 02-01-2007 03:14 PM
smokin-1-mo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for smokin-1-mo Click here to Send smokin-1-mo a Private Message Click Here to Email smokin-1-mo Find more posts by smokin-1-mo Add smokin-1-mo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I have a tremendous amount of respect for John Wick. With that said one thought always runs through my mind when someone is looking for old blood. That thought is, if the blood was that good it wouldn't be that hard to find. Coonhunters will drive across the country to breed a female, they will overturn every rock to find a good dog. If something is working or hot it will be found, discussed and exposed for the coonhound world to see. People who want to hold on to old bloodlines are usually old themselves and are operating more off memory than what bloodline treed the last set of coon eyes they looked at.
I will give Mr. Wick credit for having way too much knowledge to breed for color. With that said the part written about breeding for the Preacher color pattern has to be a communication problem with getting words in your head placed in print.
Good Luck Mr. Wick and may everyone coonhunting have at least one hound in their future as good as Preacher was.

"Coon Eyes Matter"
Boss Lights
San Mateo, Fl

Last edited by Bruce Conkey on 02-01-2007 at 08:03 PM

Old Post 02-01-2007 03:21 PM
Bruce Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce Conkey Click here to Send Bruce Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce Conkey Find more posts by Bruce Conkey Add Bruce Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

I also have alot of respect for John Wick and have to give him, through his book, alot of credit for helping me get started and keeping me in this sport. That book was my mentor.

I'm also a little puzzled by this post. I never took John Wick to be a backwards looking type of coonhunter or breeder. In my limited observations, those who look back to get something as good as Ol' So and So never end up with a dog that comes close to that caliber and would not pass for average for most folks.

But to each his own and if thats what he wants to do, I'm not in much position to disagree. I just wish he'd go back another generation on Preacher to the B&T that must have been there. Thats where it really started, lol.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 02-01-2007 03:36 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Bruce,

It isn't nice to tell someone that is in denial that they are "old themselves".LOL

I am not old! I am not old! I am not old! I am not old!

Aim small miss small

Old Post 02-01-2007 03:37 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Miller
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Conkey
I have a tremendous amount of respect for John Wick. With that said one thought always runs through my mind when someone is looking for old blood. That thought is, if the blood was that good it wouldn't be that hard to find. Coonhunters will drive across the country to breed a female, they will overturn every rock to find a good dog. If something is working or hot it will be found, discussed and exposed for the coonhound world to see. People who want to hold on to old bloodlines are usually old themselves and are operating more off memory more than what bloodline treed the last set of coon eyes they looked at.
I will give Mr. Wick credit for having way too much knowledge to breed for color. With that said the part written about breeding for the Preacher color pattern has to be a communication problem with getting words in your head placed in print.
Good Luck Mr. Wick and may everyone coonhunting have at least one hound in their future as good as Preacher was.

Bruce,

I was thinking the same thing.

Jason Miller
Late Night Kennels

Old Post 02-01-2007 03:50 PM
Jason Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Miller Click here to Send Jason Miller a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Miller Add Jason Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justin Smith
Banned

How often do folks marvel at genius , but not have faith in it ?

If John Wick said Preacher colored dogs .... and I was into Walkers and that line , then I'd pick the Preacher colored dog when all else was nearly equal and then worry about what it meant later .

Just for discussion's sake , if all these good dogs go back to Preacher and favor his looks and style ... then he is still around ... it's a chicken or egg kind of thing .

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:37 PM
Justin Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justin Smith Click here to Send Justin Smith a Private Message Find more posts by Justin Smith Add Justin Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John M. Horner
UKC Forum Member

THE CROW about as close as your gonna get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 02-01-2007 06:27 PM
John M. Horner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John M. Horner Click here to Send John M. Horner a Private Message Find more posts by John M. Horner Add John M. Horner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smokin-1-mo
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Justin Smith
[B]How often do folks marvel at genius , but not have faith in it ?

If John Wick said Preacher colored dogs .... and I was into Walkers and that line , then I'd pick the Preacher colored dog when all else was nearly equal and then worry about what it meant later
do what..............so you think he is a genius.........why

Old Post 02-01-2007 08:43 PM
smokin-1-mo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for smokin-1-mo Click here to Send smokin-1-mo a Private Message Click Here to Email smokin-1-mo Find more posts by smokin-1-mo Add smokin-1-mo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

Re: John Wick Looking for Preacher Fans

quote:
Originally posted by John Wick

P.S. I have a female that needs to be bred Friday, February 2. If you have a super-nice Preacher-colored male, call me quickly. Maybe I’ll give you some business.

Call Travis Adreon in Iowa and breed to Buckeye

319-201-8445

Old Post 02-01-2007 09:43 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jason2579
UKC Forum Member

-----------grnitech hard knockin stylish hayes
-----grnitech ball's stylish hickory nut harry
-----------gritech schmersal's stylish anna
----nitech reyolds stylish freight train
-----------lone pine dewey
-----grnitech three rivers jody
-----------finley river luck
--nitech Davis's linn creek hobo boy
----------grnitech daniels dumb dog
-----wnitech grnitech grch daniels's duke
----------daniels's jolly
-----daniel's ann
----------grnite wick's stylish banjo
--------daniels's monday
----------daniel' ding-a-ling
this is as close as i can get to a wick dog

Old Post 02-01-2007 10:57 PM
jason2579 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jason2579 Click here to Send jason2579 a Private Message Click Here to Email jason2579 Find more posts by jason2579 Add jason2579 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justin Smith
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by smokin-1-mo
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Justin Smith
[B]How often do folks marvel at genius , but not have faith in it ?

If John Wick said Preacher colored dogs .... and I was into Walkers and that line , then I'd pick the Preacher colored dog when all else was nearly equal and then worry about what it meant later
do what..............so you think he is a genius.........why

There's all kinds of genius .... making a living off of hounds is one of them .

Old Post 02-02-2007 12:49 AM
Justin Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justin Smith Click here to Send Justin Smith a Private Message Find more posts by Justin Smith Add Justin Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smokin-1-mo
UKC Forum Member

4th our 5th generations..........SYLISH STRIDE old preacher also delton halls tar cheif goes back to preacher...........

makeing a liveing off of dogs is smart not genius........
inventing the light bulb is genius our the automobile our electricity ...........lol

Old Post 02-02-2007 01:10 AM
jesse walter
UKC Forum Member

Re: JIM,

quote:
Originally posted by John Wittenborn
I'm not sure, but I think that the Preacher dog was going good in the early 70's, maybe even the late 60's??????????? The dog that I bought in 82 & was born in 80, was a Great Grand son of Preacher. He went back to Preacher through a nice dog out of Preacher, called TEXAS COUNTY REVERAND.

That blanket back, with the RICH TAN COLOR running down one or more of the legs was a good indicator, that the dog could have Preacher Blood in it. The ones that I was around also were a TALL, RANGY type of dog. They were maybe the MOST HONEST LINE OF TREE DOGS, that I was around since that time also.

I commented on a thread on here several months ago, about dog's that helped INFLUENCE THE WALKER BREED, & I mentioned the Preacher line of dog's in it.

I really believe that if a person could find some Preacher Blood up close, that we, (AS SHEEP WOULD SAY) could put some HONESTY back in some of these dog's, MINE INCLUDED. Then I could answer JESSE WALTER'S thread, & say 20 TREE'S, & 20 COON SEEN, LOL.

I hear you john.. But it would take alot more than preacher blood, More like some " REDTICK BUTTERCREEK BLOOD!!!!!!" LOL!

NTCH CH BUTTERCREEKS BIG WIN

Old Post 02-02-2007 06:04 AM
jesse walter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jesse walter Click here to Send jesse walter a Private Message Click Here to Email jesse walter Find more posts by jesse walter Add jesse walter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

Here is a pic of Ozark Preacher from Wick's new book:

Old Post 02-02-2007 02:00 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: John Wick Looking for Preacher Fans

Last edited by Oak Ridge on 02-02-2007 at 02:59 PM

Old Post 02-02-2007 02:35 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dwils
UKC Forum Member

was preacher the only dog colored up like that back then, how do you know ther ewasnt some country coondog that lloked like that wasnt the cause of the look, how can a dog from the 70's or whenever still produce this color? especially when the dog doesnt even show up a 6 generatation pedigree

NtCh PKCCh Skuna River Faith
NtCh PKC Ch Catch This
Silver Ch River Bend Lacey

Old Post 02-02-2007 02:59 PM
Dwils is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dwils Click here to Send Dwils a Private Message Click Here to Email Dwils Find more posts by Dwils Add Dwils to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brogy

Here are a couple pics of a dog out of my dad's Nt Ch ( 4 wins towards Gr Nt) PR Ristau & Brogan's Coon Crk Maggie and Travis Adreon's Gr Nt Ch Adreon's Iowa Buckeye.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/450916.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/450915.jpg

I'm not positive, but I believe this dog is at least 5 times Ozark Preacher bred. Most walkers carrying Ozark Preacher blood go it from Schmersal's Stylish Queen, but the Buckeye Dog, Troy Ferrari's Wild Style, and others also carry Preacher blood from the Sawyer's Iowa Trump ( Preacher bred) X Bayer's American Yuki ( out of Wick's Crowbar) cross.

I like the idea of mixing some Logan's Wild Clover blood into some Ozark Preacher blood. Clover also only had a few litters ( I believe like 120 pups) and look at the impact Clover made.

Old Post 02-02-2007 03:06 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote