UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon catching theory
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mrr
UKC Forum Member

joey ,I have also seen what you have been talking about , the dog was on a frozen pond overgrown with cattails i would say a 30yd x 30yd area , anyway i was on top of the dam looking down and the dog and coon were just playing cat and mouse , i cant believe how many times that dog just flat ran past a clump of cattails with the coon on the other side, the coon stayed in that patch for a long time until finally a couple other dogs joined and the coon decided the fun was over, I was sure disgusted with my hound power

712-438-0438

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-20-2019 06:05 PM
mrr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mrr Click here to Send mrr a Private Message Click Here to Email mrr Find more posts by mrr Add mrr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaz2012
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by bdeventer
Sounds kind of funny but my dad says it’s the tone of the dogs voice, had one that was open trailer and not that fast but would catch a lot. Said his voice didn’t scare them .
I have heard that before too from my grandpa.

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 06-21-2019 01:52 PM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

I have a question. He has caught 150 coons, have you put your hands on all of them? Or is that hearing him catching them or what?

Old Post 06-21-2019 02:14 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by gpent24
I have a question. He has caught 150 coons, have you put your hands on all of them? Or is that hearing him catching them or what?

Some of them I have called him if the water was deep but only a few and it was obvious to everyone he was fighting a coon. That's only been a few, maybe 4 or 5 the rest I have handled him off of them. If he happens to be close by I try to get to him before he kills them. He isn't near as fast to kill one as he used to be. He has been eat up so much that he is a bit shy about it.

I know that number sounds big but he consistently catches coon. He is 4 and has been doing it sense he got started. He doesn't do it every night but he does it a lot. He has caught 2 this week. Last week he caught 2 in one night, it adds up pretty fast.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-22-2019 12:14 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Joey with the ability he has you would think that he would be the best all around dog you have but you don't seem to think that. Any idea about why he isn't?

Old Post 06-22-2019 03:15 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Joey with the ability he has you would think that he would be the best all around dog you have but you don't seem to think that. Any idea about why he isn't?

He is the best I have right now and ranks up there with some of the best I have ever had, but he isn't the fastest I have ever had. He is the most accurate I have ever seen but he has a few holes that keeps him from being the best I have ever owned.

Sometimes he will get hung up in an area where he is winding a coon but for some reason cant locate it. He also will not stay out of the water. That comes from the fact that he has learned he catches them easier in the water. So he will get in a beaver pond or something and spends to much time in there. When he was young he would split and have a coon close to other dogs that were slick. He was a pup so I would knock it out to him. This caused him to go to the area of another dog treed if he was close and didn't have anything going. He will not go to their tree and will not cover but makes a few circles around them and about 50% of the time will end up split with the coon. The other 50% is a waist of time and aggravates me. If he doesn't find one he moves on out. This stuff is learned behaviors but keep him from being the best I have ever owned.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-22-2019 06:02 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

page 98 walk with wick volume 2 my thoughts (a swamp coon leaves 5 the scent of a dry coon ) easy prey with a dog that has an extra amount of intelligence

Old Post 11-03-2019 11:45 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
He is the best I have right now and ranks up there with some of the best I have ever had, but he isn't the fastest I have ever had. He is the most accurate I have ever seen but he has a few holes that keeps him from being the best I have ever owned.

Sometimes he will get hung up in an area where he is winding a coon but for some reason cant locate it. He also will not stay out of the water. That comes from the fact that he has learned he catches them easier in the water. So he will get in a beaver pond or something and spends to much time in there. When he was young he would split and have a coon close to other dogs that were slick. He was a pup so I would knock it out to him. This caused him to go to the area of another dog treed if he was close and didn't have anything going. He will not go to their tree and will not cover but makes a few circles around them and about 50% of the time will end up split with the coon. The other 50% is a waist of time and aggravates me. If he doesn't find one he moves on out. This stuff is learned behaviors but keep him from being the best I have ever owned.

Sounds like an awesome and intelligent dog that can track, wind and tree and isn’t afraid to fight a coon... I bet I could make a top hog dog out of a dog like that...

Old Post 11-04-2019 02:28 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote