UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pup That Won't Bark
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Pup That Won't Bark

This is a new one for me and I'm looking for thoughts / suggestions. I have a pair of four month old Walker pups right now, male and female. The male has a beautiful mouth and uses it often. I have never heard his litter mate sister bark, ever!

These pups are turned loose to run each day, wrestle and rough house, I've messed with them on drags and such, still no barks out of her. I can't say that in my 15 years of coonhunting that I have ever seen a pup that wouldn't use it's mouth once it was discovered that they had one.

The female pup is not deaf either. Listens very well around the yard and in the woods.

Anyone else ever see a pup do this? Very curious to hear about some of your experiences.

PS: Neither pup has seen a live coon yet, so I do have hope that might do the trick down the road!)

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 11-24-2020 at 05:30 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-24-2020 05:26 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

To begin with, I would not worry about her at this point in the game. She’s got plenty of time yet. Sometimes this is one of the signs of a very intelligent hound in the making!

The ones that are quiet in the kennel and layed back and relaxed when their not in the woods are the ones I like the best!

Give her another 2-3 mos. and let her see a live coon in a controlled situation and see what her response is to that. We live in a day when many have no patience and are unwilling to wait for young pups to mature. Some start early and some start later. The early starters sometimes fizzle out or get burned out by overzealous handlers/ owners. Some of the best hounds I’ve seen were not early starters.

Old Post 11-24-2020 06:08 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Some are just laid back as Dan mentioned and quiet by nature but even those usually alert you when hungry or something is going on. Young puppies that have worn bark collars sometimes are really slow to catch on to when it is ok to make some noise or bark treed. I've seen this several times on pups that have been sent in here only to find out that the owner had a no bark collar on them previously.
You've said she can hear which was my first instinct when I read your title. I would test away from her brother and out of direct sight of you. Also, check her ears out for infection. Other than that I have no advise. Maybe she just hasn't found a reason to bark in which you may just be the luckiest pup owner there is lol!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-24-2020 06:34 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

The last litter I had my mom picked out the biggest houndy male. Same thing he never said a peep. I checked to make sure he wasen't deaf as well. He was 6 months old, running and treeing ( well kinda). He would jump up and down at the tree and have a coon but never bark. So I took him with a littermate that was very open. He started barking on tree then. He still don't bark on track much or around the house but trees really nice.

Old Post 11-24-2020 07:34 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

Wanna sell her? Sounds like a dream dog around the house!

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 11-24-2020 10:11 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote