UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Since this is a gardening thread lets stick to beans and taters, lettuce and maters. When turkeys get in my garden they don't seem to be looking for chicken litter.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-02-2016 12:34 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

I ALSO PLAN TO PLANT NUMEROUS TYPES OF PUMPKINS. ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR THEM.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 04-02-2016 04:58 PM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Well I have tators up about 5 inches, Carrots up about 2 inches, Frost got all of my lettuce but 2 heads (will replant next week) calling for frost Tuesday, my yard looks great but have more chick weed came up after last weeks rain, I hate chick weed and battle it every year.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 04-03-2016 05:29 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I haven't planted anything yet it's still a little cool here at night got my tomato plants in the house got it ready though.

Old Post 04-03-2016 12:44 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

23 DEGREES AND SNOW HERE. HIGH WINDS. NO PLANTING.

Old Post 04-03-2016 02:06 PM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Have been thinking about planting some taters in barrels. Yall ever done that? Is it to late you think?

Old Post 04-03-2016 07:02 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We have snow on the ground here. Not sure if we're planting a garden or if he plowed it to plant a food plot. Last yr just as the tomatoes and peppers were getting nice, I went camping. The thought was to give them a gew more days. My friend wanted tomatoes for salsa and I was going to freeze the peppers. The deer came in and ate the tops out of all the plants. We didn't get any. We shared the cantalopes and cabbage with them.

Old Post 04-04-2016 02:56 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by rmcmillan
23 DEGREES AND SNOW HERE. HIGH WINDS. NO PLANTING.

Yuk may be a while before you get anything in the ground . It was 77 here today .
Ga Dawg I plant tators in old tires . When they sprout up through one stack another on add more dirt and mulch . When your ready to harvest unstack . They should have grown up from the ground to the top tire .

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 04-04-2016 03:55 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

I've planted gardens in soil for the last 50yrs,,but this year is gonna be a first for me,,I'm gonna use bales of straw,,beats the hell out of having to work the ground,,bend over,,plant,then all year keep working the ground to keep the weeds out,,,
A friend went with gardening with straw acouple years ago,,and man,,can that straw produce,,,she out did everyone's gardens the last 2 years,,and she is not a gardener,,lol,,,gonna space them far enough apart to mow in between,,plant,,and enjoy,,no soil to mess with and no weeding,,and if it rains like for along time,,you don't have to worry about losing your garden due to flooding because they are setting acouple feet higher than the ground,,,that will be nice,,cause I have lost my gardens afew times because of the rain.
But that won't happen for afew more weeks or longer,,it's still pretty chilly here,,only 34 degrees right now @ 2:30pm

Browns Wild Irish Rose(Tequila Sunrise x Stylish Abagal)
Browns Stylish Buddy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup
Browns Stylish Sissy(Stylish Bushwacker x Browns Wild Irish Rose) pup

Old Post 04-04-2016 07:31 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Yuk may be a while before you get anything in the ground . It was 77 here today .
Ga Dawg I plant tators in old tires . When they sprout up through one stack another on add more dirt and mulch . When your ready to harvest unstack . They should have grown up from the ground to the top tire .

I HAVE HEARD OF PEOPLE USING TIRES FOR TATERS. NOW THIS STRAW FOR GARDENING, NEED SOME MORE INFO. LIKE WHAT DO YOU DO.

Old Post 04-04-2016 10:26 PM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

I mean how many mater plants could you put in one straw bail?

Old Post 04-04-2016 10:38 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I've never done the straw bails but have read a lot about it . Guess you wet them down for about 3 weeks before you plant in them . You can also add fertilizers during that time then just stick the plants in them . When I read on here about them stinking and the skeeters getting in them I think I may just try one instead of a whole row .
I finished getting the garden ready yesterday and we are planting the root veggies tomorrow , planting by the moon and see how this goes .

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 04-05-2016 01:45 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

Just might try one straw bale.

Old Post 04-05-2016 11:31 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Just got beets , carrots and onions in the ground . According to the almanac today is a good day for root vegetables , we'll see lol .
This year I am planting heirloom seeds that I got from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds , I am thinking we have enough genetically modified in our diet . I found things in thier catalog that my Great-Great Grandmother used to grow . We will be making the trip back to Mansfield , Mo in early June for a hunt and will drop by the Baker's Creek Pioneer Village again . Unless you have been you have probably never seen so many rare seeds in one place . If you are looking for a rare seed or heirloom plant visit their website @ www.rareseeds.com . You can also subscribe to their catalog .

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-05-2016 07:36 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

We worked in the garden again today getting everything ready to finish up planting . Carrots and beets are up . Finished planting the squash , cucumbers and got the okra in . I still haven't planted tomatoes , corn and peppers . I was gonna plant an asparagus bed today and then read the package that they do best soaked overnight and started inside . Anybody grow asparagus ? I know it takes 2-3 yrs before it's really ready to harvest much . I bought Martha Washington seeds .
I am doing some companion planting I read about in a new homestesding book I bought . It list plants that do best planted next to certain things and some plants can actually stunt each other's growth . I laid the book down in my little fenced in garden and turn around and the pups are tearing it to shreds lol .
The 2nd batch of heirloom tomato plants I started from seed are looking better but not big enough for the ground yet , if they survive we are gonna have to build more beds to plant them .
We also built a large rock ring around a tree in the front yard from our own rocks . Some of you have good black dirt I have enough rocks I am going to use them to build a flower bed all the way around the house .
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-24-2016 02:23 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Raised my own tomato plants in the house like I always have put them out last week and in three days they were dead to much water I guess I'm am going to wait awhile.

Old Post 04-24-2016 12:56 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I have asparagus, but I didn't start it from seeds. I have purple and green, but don't remember the names. I had one purple stock up yesterday, it froze last night

Old Post 04-25-2016 02:03 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

We just have had to much water and going to get some more.

Old Post 04-25-2016 09:55 AM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I don't garden but I have other things. This year I lost everything to a late frost. I lost all my blueberries, figs, and plums. My figs were froze to the ground again. One fig tree was several years old. It froze to the ground last year but came back. This year all of them froze to the ground. I think my oldest fig tree is dead. These late frosts we have here are, I think, the reason we so little game. The top of my oak trees are also damaged and now won't bare fruit. And when the oaks don't bear fruit everything suffers.

Old Post 04-25-2016 05:30 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Croatankid sorry about your trees . I am just planting some fruit trees this year and thinking on getting some bees . It's been beautiful weather here lately but from the sound of the forecast we better be getting the boats a cellars ready . Yadkintar I am hoping we don't get quite as much rain this spring as last it kept the gardens pretty well drowned and not enough sunshine . It didn't produce good till sept .
The asparagus I am going to try to start it in one of the tomato beds , tomatoes and asparagus are supposed to be good companion plants .

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-26-2016 05:06 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Sorry about ur trees freezing, the same thing happened here. Probably won't get cherries, plums, pears or peaches. The apples aren't in blossom yet, but last yr we lost them because of late frosts. Frost usually doesn't get the blueberries, but they didn't do well last yr. The yr before, the Amish picked a bunch of them...we made over $600. Hoping to have a good yr to recoup some of r $. I bought a lb of Bodacios sweet corn to plant last wked when I got lime, fertilizer and seed for the hay field. My husband didn't seem to happy about that purchase.

Old Post 04-26-2016 09:28 PM
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

HAS BEEN A FUNNY SPRING HERE. KINDA DRY TILL THE LAST DAY OR TWO. UNSEASONABLY WARM THEN COOLS BACK DOWN. GLOBAL WARMING LOL. I WILL WAIT JUST A BIT TO PUT OUT MY PUMPKINS. THEN WE START MATERS AND PEPPERS.

Old Post 04-28-2016 12:24 PM
Hey Preacher!!!
UKC Forum Member

Hey GA DAWG, do a internet search on the word "luffa" and see if that matches your "spreading okra". I plant it every year. The old man that gave me the seeds called it "spreading okra".

...", nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day" - 2 Timothy 1:12

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we can not be trusted with arms for our own defense?" - Patrick Henry

"Those who would give up essential Liberty,to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin

Old Post 05-02-2016 02:52 PM
Hey Preacher!!! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hey Preacher!!! Click here to Send Hey Preacher!!! a Private Message Find more posts by Hey Preacher!!! Add Hey Preacher!!! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Hey Preacher thats it. I did not know I was growing them sponge things lol. Supposed to get in low 40s here end of week. I bet some of yall northerners could get a frost. My garden is not planted. Family sickness. We just havent had time. Its plowed but not planted. May not get planted but that'll be ok to.

Old Post 05-02-2016 11:44 PM
Hey Preacher!!!
UKC Forum Member

Smile

Those sponges sure are good battered and fried! I don't have everything out yet either. Oh, by the way, I hope you weren't including me in that "ya'll northerners" comment!

...", nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day" - 2 Timothy 1:12

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we can not be trusted with arms for our own defense?" - Patrick Henry

"Those who would give up essential Liberty,to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin

Old Post 05-03-2016 12:38 AM
Hey Preacher!!! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hey Preacher!!! Click here to Send Hey Preacher!!! a Private Message Find more posts by Hey Preacher!!! Add Hey Preacher!!! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote