UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > A scratch my Head for experts LOL
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

A scratch my Head for experts LOL

Well folks It happened to me again last night. I have owned coon hounds for about 50 years and this is only the 2nd time I have ever seen this occur and am wondering just how frequently this has happened to other folks.

I was watching a ball game last night and my wife told me my hound was barking in her pen. About 30 minutes later she told me again that the dog was barking so I stepped out on the back porch to see what she was barking at. What I saw surprised me.

There was this big ole coon inside her kennel, eating her dog food. She would sort of ease up and bark at it a couple times when it was eating and it would run her back to the far end of the kennel and then go back and continue eating. I watched this for a bit and was so surprised as this dog is a coon fighting machine in the woods when a coon is knocked out. Why would a dog show so much aggression on killing a coon knocked out of a tree, yet be half afraid of a coon that entered her pen, and eating her feed??? I'm a bit surprised by this and would love to hear if anyone else has experienced a similar scenario.

This is not the first hound I have seen do this but it is ONLY the second hound I have ever seen do this. My Ole Rocket hound did this very same thing maybe 15 years ago. I watched the coon enter his pen and eat out of his feed pan with him lying in his box and watching it eat. Rocket never barked at all at the coon nor did he try to make it leave. And he was a killing machine. At least Katie was telling the coon she didn't want it eating her food but she surely wasn't attacking like she would one in the wild.

So has anyone else ever experienced this and if so, what is your opinion as to why the dog never attacked to kill the animal like it would if it came upon a coon out in the wild??

I'm sure curious to hear opinions. Thanks in advance!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-30-2019 03:25 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

I get it twice a year .. only difference is my hounds r on cables ....they wind coons and at times the coon will climb a tree that's under their cable run . .needless to say I have to move the hound to another spot till the coon leaves , at times it's 2 days till it decides to leave.

Old Post 05-30-2019 03:57 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Had uncle go look at dog to buy and all around his dog house and feed bowl was fresh coon tracks. So he assumed the dog must be counterfeit. Maybe he wasnt after all.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 05-30-2019 03:58 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Would she bark at a caged coon? It's always surprising when you see a young dog that won't bark at a caged coon but will run and tree on scent and fight coon in the wild. Maybe something similar here with her.

Old Post 05-30-2019 04:54 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Never had that happen. Growing up I always kept a couple coon. I would open there door to there pen and they could come and go as they please. 1 boar we had would make his way to the kennel and climb up and lay on rafters over the kennel and you had to go get him and make him come down. Never had another one get that close to kennel. I guess he liked taunting the dogs.

Old Post 05-30-2019 05:22 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

The best dog i ever owned would not even look at a cage coon even if other dogs were fighting with it. He would walk away and lay down. But when I unsnapped him at night it was a totally different dog. Coon treeing machine. That dog taught me that and I have used this knowledge over the years with pups. Some guys will get rid of a pup because it will do nothing with a cage coon. That ain't always a good way to guage a pup. Some of the special ones are very smart and won
t mess with a cage coon but turn out to be real coon dogs.

Old Post 05-30-2019 07:41 PM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joseph robinson
UKC Forum Member

gun shot

Dogs seem to get more brave fighting a coon after they know he's been shot, out of a tree. In the kennel the coon was uninjured and the dog knew it.

Old Post 05-30-2019 08:00 PM
joseph robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joseph robinson Click here to Send joseph robinson a Private Message Find more posts by joseph robinson Add joseph robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

It’s the type of feed you’re feeding . She don’t like it and doesn’t think it’s worth fighting or dying for . Switch to Purina pro plan and you’ll see difference. 👍

Old Post 05-30-2019 08:11 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbender
UKC Forum Member

She trusts you in the woods. Her backup was inside watching tv and she knew it. Good example of who the pack leader is.

Old Post 05-30-2019 08:32 PM
dbender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbender Click here to Send dbender a Private Message Click Here to Email dbender Find more posts by dbender Add dbender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I had to cut a limb off a mullberry tree last year to send a coon home.he was Right over the dogs dog house

Old Post 05-30-2019 08:49 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Dave sounds like you need more hunting.. dog was just totally surprised by it. it bit back and wouldn't run.

Old Post 05-30-2019 09:13 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Have you checked her thyroid? Lol

Old Post 05-30-2019 09:31 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brlan90
UKC Forum Member

I’ve had it happen more than once I’ve had em wind off the kennel n the chain n wouldn’t stop come to find out Coon layed up in a big willow only way to stop em from doin there job was to shoot em out I had one get under my pups dog house at 2 am had to flip the box to let em have its crazy how Coon have no care bout hounds in a box or a lead lol it was always this time of year tho

Old Post 05-31-2019 03:09 AM
brlan90 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brlan90 Click here to Send brlan90 a Private Message Click Here to Email brlan90 Find more posts by brlan90 Add brlan90 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rrekab
UKC Forum Member

My wife calls me at work and tells me the dogs are going nuts and she thinks there is a coon on top of the Kennel. Of course I tell her she is nuts, we laugh about it at work but I go home after the second call. Yea, a coon was on top of the kennel. Not even real close to a wooded area, maybe a 1/4 mile. Couldn't believe that coon was that stupid. Needless to say the coon became less sure footed once I arrived after missing a 1/2 days work. Blueticks weren't spooked! lol

Old Post 05-31-2019 03:31 AM
rrekab is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rrekab Click here to Send rrekab a Private Message Click Here to Email rrekab Find more posts by rrekab Add rrekab to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stxcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

LOL this is why I wont buy a dog from up there. So many coon they are stealing ur dogs food out of the yard. Ours have to have a lil more hustle

Old Post 05-31-2019 04:37 PM
stxcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stxcoonhunter Click here to Send stxcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email stxcoonhunter Find more posts by stxcoonhunter Add stxcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Charles Pullen, You may be right about that door food theory.
And I must say I got the biggest chuckle reading your response. I guess I Better just go order that Purina, and then both the dog and the coon, will be slick as a whistle, LOL.

This little dog will light a caged coon up, but she didn't want a lot to do with that ole rascal chasing her out of her food pan.

Joseph Robinson-You may be right, she will fight an unhurt coon, but she is more aggressive on one that has been shot.

dbender- You also may be right that she trusts that I am gonna help her when we are in the timber.

And CHEWBACH- You are dead On, I do need MORE HUNTING LOL.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 06-01-2019 04:25 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

My hunt buddy Pat has this happen at his house 3-4 times a year , same for my hounds at my place. They tree them in a Tree next to or inside the kennel or barn.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-02-2019 02:26 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
Charles Pullen, You may be right about that door food theory.
And I must say I got the biggest chuckle reading your response. I guess I Better just go order that Purina, and then both the dog and the coon, will be slick as a whistle, LOL.

This little dog will light a caged coon up, but she didn't want a lot to do with that ole rascal chasing her out of her food pan.

Joseph Robinson-You may be right, she will fight an unhurt coon, but she is more aggressive on one that has been shot.

dbender- You also may be right that she trusts that I am gonna help her when we are in the timber.

And CHEWBACH- You are dead On, I do need MORE HUNTING LOL.

Dave don’t pay no mine to me I’m just old , senile & bored too . Just messing with ya buddy .

Old Post 06-03-2019 02:45 AM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

I had a good black dog forty years ago, I kept him til he died, that would lay down and go to sleep beside a cage coon. I had a GRNT Walker dog that probably treed a thousand coon in his life, he was scared to death of a cage coon.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 06-03-2019 07:14 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote