UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting just before daylight
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

Hunting just before daylight

Do y'all have any luck or like hunting the few hours before daylight? My evenings are going to be tied up for the most part over the next month or so but I have considered trying to hunt from day 4am until daylight. I've never hunted this time of night, always turned out at dark.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-03-2019 09:03 PM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

That's a good time to hunt......
Most nites I don't start till midnite ......but,
this time of year u gotta be concerned with deer hunters .
Atleast up here in MI. that is.

Old Post 12-03-2019 10:08 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

I don't start hunting until about an hour before sunup. Dogs have to learn to cold trail which is very important to me as I prefer to hunt lions. Rarely do I ever hit a hot track and see a lot of hollow trees and run a lot of them in the ground or brush piles. I sure enjoy walking into trees without a light.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 12-03-2019 10:28 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

When it was hot, July and August, I would get up and go about 3:00am. Hunt till daylight. I loved it.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 12-03-2019 10:48 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunting

Used to see a lot of coons crossing roads late in the morning 4am or so, as I was getting home from coon hunting. I have had lots of folks tell me about how many coons they saw in the mornings coming to work, so hunting late mornings before daylight should be an excellent time to coon hunt. Dave

Old Post 12-03-2019 11:19 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

My Grandfather called it hunting in the ( after part of the night) when I worked till 12 midnight that's when I hunted winter and summer I gotta tell ya I personally treed more dens but the ones on the outside where mostly big coons good luck to ya you'll learn a lot about your hound after midnight in the winter.....

Old Post 12-04-2019 03:43 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emily
UKC Forum Member

If you're hunting in a new spot, it sure helps you learn your way around to have the sun come up and be able to see your way out! Living way out in roadless mountains, the coon are out whenever the shadows are long, well into daylight but before the sun has made it over the ridge. Same in the afternoons. Its hard to know where those icy ledges are if you're looking at a Garmin. Best way to learn the ;landmarks in a new spot.

Old Post 12-07-2019 03:52 AM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Bedgood
UKC Forum Member

During the summer months, hunted a lot in the mornings. Would go just before daylight and hunt until around mid morning. made a good many dens, but also treed some on the outside.

Old Post 12-07-2019 12:50 PM
Andy Bedgood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bedgood Click here to Send Andy Bedgood a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bedgood Find more posts by Andy Bedgood Add Andy Bedgood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

I have never tried it this time of year but I have in the spring and summer time when I had to work until 1 am. I had good success that year hitting hot tracks hunting that time of nite

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 12-07-2019 07:04 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevwallace
UKC Forum Member

If hunting in area that gets a lot of pressure early in night -after 3am is best time to hunt. But if deer season is open you got to be careful were you drop. Was coming out of family land one morning bout 5am and meet nephew going to his deer stand.... joking said had treed big coon in his tree stand. Didn't go over well.

Old Post 12-08-2019 01:54 PM
stevwallace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stevwallace Click here to Send stevwallace a Private Message Click Here to Email stevwallace Find more posts by stevwallace Add stevwallace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Started last nite at 2 am ....frost was starting to cover the ground hard ..... hunted till 4:30 am... Treed 3 singles on the frost .....
Talked to a guy about 11pm he says he's going home early, on account of the frost....go figure....lol.

Early a.m. hunts this time of year will say volumes about what ur packing!

Old Post 12-08-2019 03:39 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

After midnight in middle of winter

I know this: In the middle of winter, from midnight to 4AM can be a bad time for coonhunting. I'm talking about when temperatures are below 25 degrees. I worked second shift years ago and got off at 11:30, would turn loose around 12:30. Seemed like myself, the dog and a bunch of deer were all that was awake. Just before daylight things would get better and be pretty good until 7:00AM or so. Hunting without a light after sun up was neat. Only problem is the road traffic starts to pick up as the sun is coming up.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 12-08-2019 05:49 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote