UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Does a hound need to see a cage coon?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Does a hound need to see a cage coon?

7 month old pup starting very fast compared to any other I’ve had before. He has done a few easy drags and a few over 200 yards through some decently tough terrain and over trees fell over and across a lil creek twice. He has trees one easy coon that was 20 ft off the feeder at night by hisself. so I didn’t knock it out. Well now I got a got a caged coon and plan on turning it out without him seeing it and seeing if he will take the track and tree it without seeing coon or cage or me doing it. Waited 15 mins on the last drag so might wet the coon and wait about 15 mins again. Question is should I let him see the coon at all?? Or is that working backwards? Or will seeing the coon fire him up So I should at least show him once? Or just wait and if he trails it and trees it knock it out to him to reward him?

Young hunter trying to get this hound in the right direction
I’ve tried a lot of hounds to find one that’s progressing like this
Thanks Thomas
9106166052 if you would like to call to talk about it any advice would help

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-02-2019 11:43 PM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronald schultz
UKC Forum Member

Do NOT mess him up with a cage coon!!!

Enjoy that nice pup

Old Post 12-03-2019 12:49 AM
ronald schultz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronald schultz Click here to Send ronald schultz a Private Message Find more posts by ronald schultz Add ronald schultz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Based on what you said, wouldn't see any reason what so ever to show him a cage coon!

Old Post 12-03-2019 01:30 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

It will not "hurt" the dog..if it has already ran and treed one the only positive is that it could help focus the dog on coon instead of trash.

the more exposure to the desired game the better. if you can get out 3-4 times a week at that age, a short hunt will be better than extended hunts. I have seen way too many young that age that were hunted for long hunts that got burnt out and were totally worthless by 1 year old.

In the 80's I gave a nice well bred female to a young fellow that at 5 1/2 months old was running and treeing her own.. he hunted her every night and most all night long.. she quit! he gave her to a coyote hunter and she made the grade there.

Old Post 12-03-2019 01:50 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

Not every dog needs to see a cage coon. I had one that never did see a cage coon, he split from the old dogs one nite and treed his own coon before we ever got a cage coon for him at that point I figured he was past needing a cage coon

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 12-03-2019 06:12 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

The pup has already treed its own coon. No reason to show it a caged coon. Try and set him up for success and let his confidence build.

Old Post 12-03-2019 08:10 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

I had a hound many years ago that wouldn’t do anything with a caged coon !
She would tree coons all night , but nothing on a caged coon!

Old Post 12-03-2019 08:54 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wlewis323
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the opinions everyone... One more question though for everyone. Let’s see what y’all all say.

How often and for how long can you hunt a pup about 7 months old without burning him out?
Thanks

Old Post 12-04-2019 02:17 AM
wlewis323 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wlewis323 Click here to Send wlewis323 a Private Message Click Here to Email wlewis323 Find more posts by wlewis323 Add wlewis323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wlewis323
Thanks for the opinions everyone... One more question though for everyone. Let’s see what y’all all say.

How often and for how long can you hunt a pup about 7 months old without burning him out?
Thanks

If they start acting tired or not interested quit for the night or even give them a few nights off. No rush at that age. Also, always try to quit on a good note when they do something positive.

Old Post 12-04-2019 05:13 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

wlewis323 you may be over thinking this whole thing. Every dog is different so it's very hard to say how many turn loose coon or how much to hunt. Use your good judgement and just pay attention to the dog. Don't forget this is about having fun and enjoying the dog. Yes you may make a few mistakes but most dogs will overcome them and yes we all make them.

Old Post 12-04-2019 04:54 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
If they start acting tired or not interested quit for the night or even give them a few nights off. No rush at that age. Also, always try to quit on a good note when they do something positive.

I've always heard that 1 year of a dogs life is equal to 7 yrs. of a human.

If that is true how many hours a week would you expect a 5 yr. old to work?

I came to the decision years ago that my hunts with a young hound under 1-1/2 yrs. old would be kept short and hopefully for the most part have very few unpleasant experiences for them. Such as running junk, running with extremely fast dogs, running with rough or mean dogs, running for long periods of time or having them be treed for long periods before I could get to them.

It's way to easy to ruin a good young prospect just because we want them to run and tree like a seasoned 4 yr old when their still just pups though they may look like mature adults.

Last edited by DL NH on 12-04-2019 at 07:46 PM

Old Post 12-04-2019 05:51 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote