UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > First time competition hunter??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

First time competition hunter??

Been coon hunting for years got a up and coming pup. Never been in a comp hunt, i know the basics strike your dog and tree. That's about all i know as far as the rules go.

What was your first competition hunt like and any advice for the new guy. Thanks... any hunters in Kentucky around Hawesville that wanna hunt some nights my number is below.

God only knows who we'd be without soldiers and Jesus.

Rack'em Up Willy pup
--County Line's Rammy(Rambo)

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy
*UKC win Friday night Red Bone days 2021
BnT TREE BANGIN BUFFORD the start of it all

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-26-2020 05:13 PM
kybufford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kybufford Click here to Send kybufford a Private Message Click Here to Email kybufford Find more posts by kybufford Add kybufford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Froglegs

Best advice I've got is buy a good pair of boots with chaps attached. Most cast ain't going to look for a place to cross a creek if most have tall boots. And hunting in the cold with wet feet makes for a bad night.

Old Post 10-26-2020 05:50 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

Re: Froglegs

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
Best advice I've got is buy a good pair of boots with chaps attached. Most cast ain't going to look for a place to cross a creek if most have tall boots. And hunting in the cold with wet feet makes for a bad night.

Thanks man all I got are brush chaps

Rack'em Up Willy pup

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy

Old Post 10-26-2020 06:29 PM
kybufford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kybufford Click here to Send kybufford a Private Message Click Here to Email kybufford Find more posts by kybufford Add kybufford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

When you call your dog double check that judge heard you because they are hunting dog also and not always paying attention. Get rule book and study it is best thing you can do. Good luck

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 10-26-2020 06:36 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
When you call your dog double check that judge heard you because they are hunting dog also and not always paying attention. Get rule book and study it is best thing you can do. Good luck

Just sent my pup papers off, will they send rule book with new papers?

Rack'em Up Willy pup

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy

Old Post 10-26-2020 06:53 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Re: First time competition hunter??

quote:
Originally posted by kybufford
Been coon hunting for years got a up and coming pup. Never been in a comp hunt, i know the basics strike your dog and tree. That's about all i know as far as the rules go.

What was your first competition hunt like and any advice for the new guy. Thanks... any hunters in Kentucky around Hawesville that wanna hunt some nights my number is below.

Butterflies ran rampant on my first one. Did not have the best dog and didn't win.

Advice: Tag along to several nite hunts with some buddies first. Second, do some simulated practice hunts with a score a scorecard and some buddies, even if they are just two or three-dog casts.

Get a rulebook and some practice scorecards. Shoot me and email with your address and I'll get you fixed up. agingerich@ukcdogs.com

Old Post 10-26-2020 08:09 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Teddy23
UKC Forum Member

Call your dog for what it does and enjoy. The more you hunt the more you will get to experience hunting with dogs in a higher level. It changes the way you look at dogs.
At least it did for me. You will learn as you go. But know your dog and just call it.

Old Post 10-26-2020 08:41 PM
Teddy23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Teddy23 Click here to Send Teddy23 a Private Message Click Here to Email Teddy23 Find more posts by Teddy23 Add Teddy23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

When calling your hound--

say it's name FIRST then strike or tree. Example Red Strike--Red Tree

And use your words "if" you have a question.

Good luck and always have a candy bar in your truck, could be the only thing Sweet and Fun you will enjoy (wink-wink)

Old Post 10-26-2020 09:08 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Study the rules then study the rules!

Old Post 10-26-2020 09:41 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Hillenbrand
UKC Forum Member

First Time Comp Hunter

You will be amazed how much help you will get when the cast finds out that you are just a beginner. Local UKC hunts today are usually like a buddy hunt. Most hunters want to win but they also want to see other good hounds. Never forget that years from now, you will be remembered for your integrity. Years from now, you will also be remembered for being a cheat. Learn the rules and enjoy the ride. You will meet many good people along the way. Good luck.

Old Post 10-27-2020 02:30 AM
Ed Hillenbrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Hillenbrand Click here to Send Ed Hillenbrand a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Hillenbrand Find more posts by Ed Hillenbrand Add Ed Hillenbrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Call the dog for what he does.

Just call the dog and try to enjoy yourself win or loose. Dogs are going to do what they are going to do. Know your dogs voice real well (know every bark they make). Know that you are going to make mistakes, just take your minus, it happens. Don't expect to win much unless you have a real good dog. It's what you do during the week that determines your success on the weekend.
Learn the rules from the rule book and scorecard, not from how they scored it last weekend.
There are lots of good people that you will enjoy hunting with, focus on them, not the occasional Idiot.
If after a few hunts you've made a few friends, you are on the right track.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 10-27-2020 03:00 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Our first hunt was almost our last. Know the rules, we won our first hunt, but were cheated out of it. Things got better, but not our ears so sticking to pleasure hunting.

Old Post 10-27-2020 03:19 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: First time competition hunter??

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
Butterflies ran rampant on my first one. Did not have the best dog and didn't win.

Advice: Tag along to several nite hunts with some buddies first. Second, do some simulated practice hunts with a score a scorecard and some buddies, even if they are just two or three-dog casts.

Get a rulebook and some practice scorecards. Shoot me and email with your address and I'll get you fixed up. agingerich@ukcdogs.com

PM you my mailing address thanks man!!

Rack'em Up Willy pup

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy

Old Post 10-27-2020 04:20 PM
barryphilbeck
UKC Forum Member

MY FIRST COMP HUNT
I DREW MIKE CARROL ( my hunting buddy )
I won ( somehow )
I left saying this stuff is easy.
I beat a pro !!!
Then I lost the next 10 straight!!😂

I found out
It’s not he who has the desire to win who
comes out on top
But HE WHO HAS THE DESIRE TO PREPARE TO WN.

Also 95 percent of the cast has been fun and enjoyable

Old Post 10-27-2020 05:58 PM
barryphilbeck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barryphilbeck Click here to Send barryphilbeck a Private Message Click Here to Email barryphilbeck Find more posts by barryphilbeck Add barryphilbeck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

You and your dog have started on a journey. Enjoy it! If you or your dog dosen't perform as well as expected. Don't let that discourage you. Don't let that change your attitude during the cast. Already to many grumpy men hunting. Be an example. An example of wanting to do the right things. Win, Loose or draw. An example of improving each time out.

One of the most common discouraging things someone does. Is when the cast is over, go over it time and time again with buddies. Each buddy will tell you how you got cheated and you will soon believe it.

Old Post 10-27-2020 06:22 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
You and your dog have started on a journey. Enjoy it! If you or your dog dosen't perform as well as expected. Don't let that discourage you. Don't let that change your attitude during the cast. Already to many grumpy men hunting. Be an example. An example of wanting to do the right things. Win, Loose or draw. An example of improving each time out.

One of the most common discouraging things someone does. Is when the cast is over, go over it time and time again with buddies. Each buddy will tell you how you got cheated and you will soon believe it.

Thanks Bruce, ive always wanted to see how far a dog i bought as pup i could take it. I've started several pups that turned out to be good coon dogs, but never took one to a hunt. My goal with the first pup is make it Night Champion. I think that's a pretty reasonable goal.

Rack'em Up Willy pup

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy

Old Post 10-27-2020 07:39 PM
michael cline
UKC Forum Member

learn the rules, ask questions to experienced hunters around your area. And when you go simulate a competition hunt. I done it for years and still learned certain things years later. I havnt done one in a few years but got a double wipeout pup that might get me back into things. It’s showing some promise for its age.

Old Post 10-28-2020 09:25 PM
michael cline is offline Click Here to See the Profile for michael cline Click here to Send michael cline a Private Message Click Here to Email michael cline Find more posts by michael cline Add michael cline to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote