UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 10 Night Tryout
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Night 6

Somebody turned the lights on! We got in the woods about an hour after dark this evening, the air was a little cooler than last night, low 30’s clear skies, no wind. I brought my veteran hound and Cindy. I cut the dogs on the main creek that runs through my dads farm they both got into the dark with their heads high. Cindy peeled to the right hit a ridge got about 400 yards made a big loop then swung back through. She hunted on the run all night and seemed as if she was on a mission. Meanwhile the Vet had went left and was locating and rolling into his steady chop about the time Cindy was passing me. Once again she showed the independent streak, but she’s hunting so I’m cool with it. I got the male off the tree and cast him again, Cindy was still hunting at the time, I heard her strike and go to baying and the garmin said beep buzz buzz Cindy treed.... evidently as February is getting close and Valentine’s Day isn’t far off, Cindy felt it was an appropriate time to visit with Pepe LePew.... couldn’t get mad at her for several reasons. One she was hunting and found it on her own. Two, I have yet to handle a hound that hasn’t fooled with a skunk at least once. And three, somehow she managed to dodge the stink. I put her on the lead and walked her about 100 yards and cut her again, just in time to hear the Vet locate again, this time Cindy went to him and showed a lot of interest at the tree. Running and rerunning the last 20 yards of the track about 10 times, stretching, climbing, sniffing, and whimpering at the tree, but she only opened a time or two. I led both dogs off the tree went 100 yards or so and cast them again. We had probably walked 1/2 mile and I saw both hounds stand up on their hind feet and take off. The old dog was trying to locate a layup but Cindy blew past him made a 300 yard loop then struck and was bringing a track back towards me. I turned my light off to listen and I could hear something coming straight for me so I flicked it on to see a coon galloping right at me, the light scared him and he immediately grabbed the first pine he could reach and low and behold here comes Cindy about 45 seconds behind. The old dog was getting his tree picked out around the same time cindy clicked. I have seen coons run in front of hounds before but never been able to witness it all like I did tonight. I wanted to help her but fought the urge and let her instincts take over. After a solid 5 minutes of her checking the tree and re running the last 10 yards of the track she finally did it. She called ol Ricky out and did it with every breath she had. Cindy treed her first wild, solo coon tonight and it was a relief. This 10 night time clock was on the shorter side of things. Once she finally locked down I just let her tree, got the old dog off his 3rd and sent him on, he hit Cindy’s track and ran it to a T and came in to back her. I was fortunate enough to get a lot of tonight on camera and maybe once the tryouts are over I’ll reveal her identity but for now I’m gonna keep the videos to myself so I can smile awhile longer. I had planned on covering a lot more ground tonight but after seeing her click I wanted to end on a good note for the night. We’ll see if she can keep it up tomorrow night. Tonight Cindy left well, hunted hard, bayed a skunk, showed interest in a coon tree, then treed her own coon. The little girl is becoming a fun little prospect to take to the woods and I hope she keeps it up, Yal stay tuned!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-29-2020 04:38 AM
5thgearwide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thgearwide Click here to Send 5thgearwide a Private Message Find more posts by 5thgearwide Add 5thgearwide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Reading this thread is almost as much fun as hunting my own pup.

Old Post 01-29-2020 04:52 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Night 7

Tonight was one of those nights that makes you question your sanity, and it was all because of conditions that were primarily out of my hands. We got in the woods right at dark, took the same dogs as last night, walked the same ground as last night, was anticipating the same results or better than last night, and it just didn’t happen. It’s cloudy tonight with temperatures in the mid 30’s with a front moving in and possible snow after midnight. If I were a coon, I would be eating right now before the weather gets here, evidently I would never be cast as a raccoon in a movie because we obviously don’t think the same. We walked roughly 2 1/2 miles maybe a little more and only made one den tree. Cindy showed a lot of interest but never opened on the tree, I’m not sure that the coon had even stirred yet I think that the old dog may just have the particular bandits address on file. Besides the single tree I saw no sign of coon movement nor did the dogs and it wasn’t from a lack of hunting. From the first cut until I caught her to load back up Cindy was on the move all night. She still showed the tendency tonight to go her own way initially then if her way didn’t result in a track then she would go double check the other dogs work. She covered almost 6 miles according to the gps and I’m pleased with that. She left good and hunted hard the coons just did not want to participate tonight. I remember somebody commenting earlier in the thread saying this is the toughest time of year to hunt and I would agree, but I also believe that when you train in the most adverse situations possible, it makes everything else seem easier. If she can figure it out and tree coons this time of year, I believe she’ll be set for the rest of the calendar. The only race we did get was a fast and loud Wile E Coyote. My male dog gets an itch to burn up a song dog from time to time and well, tonight was the time. Cindy also enjoyed the race, can’t really blame her because he made it sound like loads of fun but they both got reminded by their conscience why we don’t participate in said activities. I guess that’s really all I have to report for tonight, somewhat of a let down compared to last nights results, but an improvement based on the fundamentals. She left good, hunted hard, hunted the right spots, showed speed and drive, learned why we don’t cuss other dogs just because they chase road runners.... that about covers it. Yal stay tuned!

Old Post 01-30-2020 03:51 AM
5thgearwide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thgearwide Click here to Send 5thgearwide a Private Message Find more posts by 5thgearwide Add 5thgearwide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Night 8

Tonight seems like it was just another observation night. I took Cindy by herself tonight and waited a few hours after dark because last night nothing was moving early so tonight should be the same right? Wrong... it was a good night in the woods, mid 30’s again, no wind, a few clouds but a bright night compared to the last couple. Cindy didn’t hunt as deep tonight which was different and seemed a bit timid. We hit a few tracks tonight which was good but Cindy really had a tough time with them and we didn’t make any trees. I would guess the tracks came from late evening or right at dark putting them 3-4 hours old. She knew they were there and she was determined to find it but I think she just got shorted a little in the nose department. She works a track well though, she will trail to a lose then make a loop to pick it back up then trail to a lose make a loop and so on. I also noticed she has yet to strike on a track that’s tough for her, it seems as if she’s gonna be pretty tight on the track. Thinking back she’s also slow to commit on a tree too, although I believe she will pull the trigger quicker with experience on the treeing side of things. I do like the fact that she wants to be sure before she says “here it is” though. We fooled with a couple tough tracks tonight, I called her off of them once she showed that she wasn’t going to move them anywhere fast and I also got to witness her trailing right through a group of deer bedded down which showed me a couple things... this is the second time I have seen her not pay any attention to a whitetail, and to all the deer hunters that believe hound hunting messes up the deers home range.... I disagree. This is about all I have to report for tonight, wasn’t a tree slamming night but we learned a little more and any time you’re learning you’re improving so I’ll take it. Tonight Cindy left okay, hunted decent, (garmin said she covered 3.92 miles in our 1.5 miles loop) took on some tough tracks for her nose, and avoided a trash race even when the trash presented itself, not a bad night in my books. Weather doesn’t look the best for tomorrow night so we may take a break with Cindy but Yal stay tuned!

Old Post 01-31-2020 03:55 AM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Personally............I wouldn't expect a 12 month old just getting started on coon to show me much in the cold trailing dept. I'd be encouraged (as I think you were) to see her acknowledging she was working scent and that she wasn't standing on her head barking all over the place. I'd also be encouraged by the fact that she was checking trees but being unsure was unwilling to just roll up on the wood and blow it down as she was unsure.

Still early to tell what she'll finish up to be but if I could state how I'd like to see one start out she's pretty much exemplifying what I'd like to see.

Hope it all ends well for you..........and her!

Old Post 01-31-2020 03:23 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Personally............I wouldn't expect a 12 month old just getting started on coon to show me much in the cold trailing dept. I'd be encouraged (as I think you were) to see her acknowledging she was working scent and that she wasn't standing on her head barking all over the place. I'd also be encouraged by the fact that she was checking trees but being unsure was unwilling to just roll up on the wood and blow it down as she was unsure.

Still early to tell what she'll finish up to be but if I could state how I'd like to see one start out she's pretty much exemplifying what I'd like to see.

Hope it all ends well for you..........and her!

Old Post 01-31-2020 03:24 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

I appreciate the feedback! I have to keep reminding myself with her that she’s a totally different animal than what I’m used to. I think that’s what’s helping me be less biased and more observant with her. I like to see a dog that is track minded first and trees when the track gives them no other choice, as long as she develops that way I don’t think she’ll have any major trouble down the line. I also believe with age and experience she will develop an understanding for which tracks she can handle, and those she can’t. I hope then she will have enough sense to find another track or make a bigger loop to try and find the hotter end of it. But time will tell, and you just don’t know till ya go! My football coaches always told me we’re gonna practice in the toughest conditions possible to make the games feel easier, I kind of feel like that’s where she’s at now and for her situation I believe she’s handling things as well as can be expected. Yal stay tuned!

Old Post 01-31-2020 04:48 PM
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Night 9

Due to work and a few other prior engagements tonight was the first chance I’ve had to get Cindy in the woods since late last week. Earlier this week was beautiful weather for February, tonight was gloomy and nasty. It’s been raining/misting all day with temps in the 50’s and it’s predicted to stay this way for awhile so I said why not. Got in the woods right at dark and there was a small window of no precipitation so we took advantage of it. I sent Cindy up a creek in the timber on her own tonight and within 200 yards of leaving she struck, worked a track for about 200 more yards and found a den tree. She was very tight on the track, ran it and re ran it too many times to count, and is still hesitant to commit on the tree which I kind of like to see, I’d rather her be that way than to slam every tree a coon taps. She was very excited and motivated to run this track and when she finally decided on the tree she looked and sounded pretty good. She’s on the quieter side of an average mouth but she’s an every breath tree dog and on this tree she posted up on the wood nicely and stayed till I pulled her off. I put her in the lead and we went to another small creek in a different block of timber, she left harder this time when I cut her and got about 500 yards deep, never struck, ran a track with good speed, then finally picked a tree and committed. By the time I got to her the rain and fog had settled in so badly that I couldn’t see 10 feet up the tree. She was pretty confident that she had something but I do not know what it was. I’m crossing my fingers that it was a coon but the fact that she didn’t strike on the ground, and the fact that I couldn’t see it, makes me wonder. The rain is here to stay and I considered her time tonight productive so we quit early for the night. Tonight she left well, showed motivation to run a track, and to tree. She committed on 2 trees, one of which is a known den tree, and she treed nicely. I would like to see her gain the confidence required to just run the track once and trust herself but I think that will come with time. Tomorrow doesn’t look to inviting so it may be a couple days before I give her the “final night” of tryouts, so Yal stay tuned, I think Cindy May make the cut, for the first round anyways.

Old Post 02-06-2020 12:50 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

5thgearwide

I really am enjoying your posts and pulling for your dog. It's rained here hard for the past 2 nights, but would not matter as I am laid up with a busted knee. Your posts and hunts are a welcome read for a cabin fevor afflicted coon hunter. I believe she will turn out okay, looking forward to the next episode. Dave

Old Post 02-06-2020 01:29 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for tuning in! I hate to hear about your knee, injuries are never fun and I wish you a speedy recovery! They’ve already closed some schools in the area because of flood warnings, so I may be joining the cabin fever club for a few days too.

Old Post 02-06-2020 04:20 AM
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Night 10

I’m a little slow on the update for the “final night” of Cindys tryout and I apologize to anyone who has been following along. Between all the rain we’ve been getting and trying to get finished up on a house remodel I haven’t had the amount of “free time” I would prefer but that’s life. Night 10 showed some things I liked and some room for improvement, and disappointment in the weather all within a couple hours. I wasn’t planning on hunting the other night for all the rain but when I was feeding cattle I watched a coon feed along the field edge as the rain was breaking up and by the time I was done feeding I saw him lay up. About 1 1/2 hours later darkness veiled it’s face and I decided to see what Cindy could do with it. Mid 40’s overcast skies with a slight breeze. I pointed Cindy up the holler into the wind and she left great, as a matter of fact she was trying to wind the coon from the lead. I started her about 300 yards downwind from where I had seen the coon lay up. She went right up the creek then worked her way over to the field edge, struck, opened just a few times on the track, and found the tree he had laid up in, she checked herself 4 times on the last 20 or so yards of the track before she finally committed. I shined the tree and he was still right where I had left him when I was on the tractor. She treed hard for about 3 minutes then checked herself again, treed a minute, checked herself... she did this 3 times. Very hesitant to fully commit, possibly because this track is at the edge of her noses limitations? Or maybe just because she hasn’t fully grasped the concept yet. Either way I was pleased to see her take a track colder than a few minutes old, I like the fact that she wants to make sure before she commits. I like to see a dog open on the track enough to let you know what’s going on with it, and I love the fact that she didn’t run over this track to find something hotter. I’m starting to grow a little fond of how she hunts in general. About the time I was pulling her off of the tree the sky opened up and the rain settled in so our training session for the final night was short and sweet. I really wanted to see her work a few more times, but I forgot my floaties that night. So I guess the final evaluation (for now) is Cindy has made the cut for the first leg of our tryouts, I don’t feel like I’m wasting feed when I pour it in her pan and I don’t mind looking at the off color dog in the pack either. I’m going to continue to hunt her throughout the winter and see how she develops but unless there is a demand for more reports on her this will be the conclusion to her “10 night tryout” I appreciate all the feedback from the viewers throughout this thread, I truly enjoy listening to the voices and opinions of fellow hound handlers. Thanks for tuning in!

Last edited by 5thgearwide on 02-13-2020 at 03:35 PM

Old Post 02-13-2020 03:31 PM
Coal295
UKC Forum Member

Tryout

Enjoyed the tryout! Sounds like she is well on her way! I like the fact that she is making sure of her trees early on- should make an accurate hound later down the road. Just curious, and you may have mentioned it and I forgot- what breed do you normally hunt and what breed is the female? Thanks!

Old Post 02-13-2020 04:04 PM
Coal295 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coal295 Click here to Send Coal295 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coal295 Find more posts by Coal295 Add Coal295 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Coal295

I was trying to figure out how to post pictures on here, the majority of my bear pack are blueticks or plotts, that’s what I’ve had the best luck, and most consistency with to date. I also have a redbone gyp that I really enjoy hunting on bear or coon. Cindy is a Walker and is a granddaughter of Bone collector, I’ve hunted with a couple walker dogs that I enjoyed hunting with but quite a few that I didn’t haha. I’m not color blind and I believe that there are good/great dogs in every breed it just seems to me that you have to look a little harder when there are a lot more to look through.

Old Post 02-13-2020 04:36 PM
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

Trail

Heck keep posting once in awhile...alot of us can't go at all with the weather we get. We can live through a bit

Old Post 02-13-2020 09:53 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

5thgearwide

I vote for another 10 night report, I sure enjoyed the first 10 nights. Dave

Old Post 02-13-2020 10:26 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Re: 5thgearwide

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I vote for another 10 night report, I sure enjoyed the first 10 nights. Dave

X2. Really enjoyed following this thread

Old Post 02-14-2020 12:02 AM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

keep updateing us on cindy, shes going to be a accurate tree dog. i dont mind one checking hisself if it has the coon, its them dogs that runs a track backwards to a den tree thats useless if you like to look at them coon eyes.

Old Post 02-14-2020 10:37 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Night 11

I guess the ballots are in and the people voted for the second level of tryouts to be kept on record so here we go. Took Cindy along with 3 other dogs last night back to the spot we hunted the first night when she didn’t do much... and it was somewhat of a deja vu. We had a big cold front coming in brought by some steady winds right after loads of rain this week. We got out right at dark and the temps were mid 40’s by the time we got back to the truck and think we were in the low 30’s. We hunted some field edges on our way to some oak hardwoods and Cindy was in full play mode with the other young dogs till we got to the timber. I snapped her back on the lead once then cast her again and the second time she WENT. She got 3,4,5,600 yards deep in a few minutes, assuming she would find me when she circled back through we pushed the other dogs on. We had went a few hundred yards and the other dogs had struck a good track, I checked the gps and Cindy was .71 miles, back at the truck.... then past the truck, and was hunting what was supposed to be the “tail end” of our walk for the evening. We stayed with the dogs that were working a track they came treed, we elected to harvest this one for the 2 young dogs that were at this tree and after a few minutes of pew pew’s the coon started out on his death flight only to land in a deep crotch of the mighty poplar he clung to for dear life just minutes before. So there he lay, 30 feet off the ground, wedged for eternity. After a few failed attempts to find a way to get him out we tarried on and accepted a draw on this one. We continued on making our way slowly back towards Cindy checking side hollers and creek bottoms on our way and when we finally got within a few hundred yards of where Cindy had been working we had a beautiful bawl mouth strike and race up the raging creek.... then it just ended, the dogs came back. Nothing to show for it except for curiosity that will bug me for a week. We pushed on up the ridge to strike again and this is when Cindy made her reappearance she came through in front of us on her hind legs winding with all her might, bouncing all around, tail wagging, ran and reran a track 3 or 4 times before locking down on a big oak that we shined briefly and deemed a den tree. The other dogs came treed 80 yards over the hill so I left Cindy to tree her heart out here and we walked to the mighty pine the other dogs had. After 25 bullets whizzing into the mighty swaying pine, rocking back and forth from the 15mph winds, trying to hit the gleaming eyes of the elusive ringtail. We finally accepted defeat from this one due to the fact that we were out of bullets, so we decided to call it a night. We gathered the hounds and headed for the truck but when we got back to Cindys den, all the dogs lost their mind on the lead, bug eyed, chopping like lumberjacks, bawling like they were staring at a coon in a cage and it gave me a little more confidence in the little gyp. She didn’t leave as well last night as she had been, but when she did she really went, she got deep, she wasn’t worried about the other dogs, when she found the right tree, she treed hard and she stayed even with 2 other dogs blowing the top out 80 yards away. I am curious as to why she went that far away from the rest of the dogs, but if I could read a dogs mind I would be set. I’ll do my best to keep the viewers updated on the second leg of Cindys training, so for those interested, stay tuned!

Old Post 02-14-2020 02:57 PM
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Time to Cull

Sounds like its time for those dogs to make some hard choices and cull their non shooting owners!!!!!!! Great stories keep them coming!

Old Post 02-14-2020 04:36 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Cedar Ridge,

I should think you'd cut your losses at this point and send that independent deaf tree dog on up to me in Northern New England. Heck, if you're not to deep in the South land I'll take a couple days off and come get her papers and all!😜😜

All kidding aside, sounds like there's potential for an above average hound in the works. Starting out with a pup can be a heartbreaking experience but when one comes along that shows promise it'll keep you in the timber!

Please keep the documentary going! I'm enjoying it too!

Old Post 02-14-2020 05:26 PM
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Dedication

5thgearwide gonna be interesting to see how dedicated you are to young Cindy tonight...for Trip #12....Being Valentines Day...Is it gonna be Cindy or the Couch?

Old Post 02-14-2020 07:10 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

cindy

Did you tie her up at her tree when you went to the other one ?

Old Post 02-14-2020 07:28 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Roy

I enjoy Cindy a lot but I think I’ll take the wife out to eat this evening... unless I can convince her that following Cindy will be more fun/relaxing than Texas Roadhouse.

Rat Dog

I did not tie her off, at this point I am still mainly just observing her behaviors and tendencies. I was curious to see how she would stay with other dogs treeing close by and she stayed on her tree very nicely until we started squalling and shooting.

Old Post 02-14-2020 08:25 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

You may regret shooting/squalling while leaving her treed resulting in her pulling to the other dogs. Personally, I'd have waited on shooting that coon.

She may never stay treed again when in earshot of another dog treed. I'm afraid I'd have asked my buddies to leave that one and shoot a coon another night. I also wouldn't have blown the squaller if she was close enough to hear that.

Not a good thing to do in my book.

Old Post 02-14-2020 09:30 PM
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
You may regret shooting/squalling while leaving her treed resulting in her pulling to the other dogs. Personally, I'd have waited on shooting that coon.

She may never stay treed again when in earshot of another dog treed. I'm afraid I'd have asked my buddies to leave that one and shoot a coon another night. I also wouldn't have blown the squaller if she was close enough to hear that.

Not a good thing to do in my book.

I agree too...she's too young for that kinda pressure, but then again maybe it don't matter if your strictly going to pleasure hunt her

Old Post 02-14-2020 09:39 PM