UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Curious ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

Curious ?

As i sit at the house with nothing much to do because of the rain tonight ive been meaning to post and ask this question.... Has anybody ever saw someone either who has hunted awhile or someone just starting out been given a pretty good old broke dog that still has some winning left in it,usually for free, then when the dog either gets too old to hunt or dies the hunter usually lacks patience,time,or knowledge to break a pup and eventually quits hunting altogether. Ive saw this on several occasions in just a small radius of where i live in Ohio. Whats everyones thoughts on this and is this common in other areas ? Not posting this in a rude way but this hurts coonhunting as a whole, ive often wondered if some of the individuals had to break a pup theirself theyd still be out beating the timber.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-27-2020 03:54 AM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Very few people are life long hound chasers. It is just born in you to hunt hounds of any type. You just don't know how many people I know that get into hounds for a while and then give up on it. My brother for instances had one of the best hounds I've ever hunted with he did alot of winning in the hunts with her she was just a coon treeing machine. When she was gone he just lost interest. I believe if you start out with a bunch of sorry dogs and work your way up to a top hound and make it through all that you'll be a hounds man for life. Anyone can buy a top hound but when you raise and train a hound that becomes a top hound you'll appreciate what it takes and goes into making a hound. And when you go through all the prospects of going to be's and finally get a is'am your a real dog man and will be till you just can't go to the tree anymore. And when you can't go to the tree anymore you'll get some rabbit dogs and sit by the fire just listening to them run. That's my opinion on the question.

Old Post 03-27-2020 11:50 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I have never seen it but perhaps this could be part of the explanation. Many people are in this sport and do it several ways. From Pleasure Hunting to Comp Hunting. From enjoying the training of pups to seeing the Youth get involved. You take the thousands of people and when their dog dies or hunting land goes away. Thats the little shove to just stop coon hunting. They had a good time but the fun is over for them. They have a reason to do something else without quitting on what they were doing. It quit them.

Old Post 03-27-2020 11:51 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, I'll go along with that. I've ran foxhounds my whole life but with the lose of land and the hatred of a running hound put me out of the running hound business. I ran in the foxpens for a good while but it just wasn't the same. And really if I had to travel to coon hunt I don't think I would coonhunt. And on a another note I'll be ordering a tt15 from you this weekend president Trump said he was going to buy it for me.

Old Post 03-27-2020 12:18 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

I have been coon hunting for about 35 years and still love it. I realized early on that I didn’t have the patience or time to train a pup so I have always bought mine young and started. It’s been my experience, and maybe I am wrong, most people don’t take a good luck at their lifestyle and decide they are not a trainer and the pup suffers for it.

Old Post 03-27-2020 12:31 PM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Young and started is the most critical time of a dogs life. I love starting dogs and starting them is the easy part. To finish a started dog is the hard part.

Old Post 03-27-2020 12:41 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I once read that the average length of time a person stays with a hobby is three years.

Old Post 03-27-2020 03:38 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

To answer your question yes it happens in all areas. Numerous reasons, boredom, don't want to mess with a pup and so on.

Old Post 03-27-2020 04:52 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

.......and then there are folks who just get into it for the fellowship of being with others. This type usually focuses more on the friendship aspect of the sport than on the hounds performance end. They tend to be short timers in the sport also. Over the years it seems to me that many people won't coon hunt alone, just them and their hound(s). Same thing for many that run rabbit/Hare hounds.

90-95% of the time I hunt alone. Not because I have to but because I enjoy the time alone and don't have to be concerned with all the things that can go on when you're hunting with someone else and their hounds. Also I can come and go as I choose without being concerned about inconviencing someone else.

Old Post 03-27-2020 05:45 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

One of my earliest memories is of my older cousins dragging an old dried up coon skin around the yard with some hounds after it. I fox hunted with my grandfather but I was just the gopher for him. I think it has to be imprinted on you as a young man or boy for it to stick.

Old Post 03-27-2020 06:46 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Clovis A Nailor
Very few people are life long hound chasers. It is just born in you to hunt hounds of any type. You just don't know how many people I know that get into hounds for a while and then give up on it. My brother for instances had one of the best hounds I've ever hunted with he did alot of winning in the hunts with her she was just a coon treeing machine. When she was gone he just lost interest. I believe if you start out with a bunch of sorry dogs and work your way up to a top hound and make it through all that you'll be a hounds man for life. Anyone can buy a top hound but when you raise and train a hound that becomes a top hound you'll appreciate what it takes and goes into making a hound. And when you go through all the prospects of going to be's and finally get a is'am your a real dog man and will be till you just can't go to the tree anymore. And when you can't go to the tree anymore you'll get some rabbit dogs and sit by the fire just listening to them run. That's my opinion on the question.

Good answer

Old Post 03-27-2020 07:13 PM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Clovis A Nailor
Bruce, I'll go along with that. I've ran foxhounds my whole life but with the lose of land and the hatred of a running hound put me out of the running hound business. I ran in the foxpens for a good while but it just wasn't the same. And really if I had to travel to coon hunt I don't think I would coonhunt. And on a another note I'll be ordering a tt15 from you this weekend president Trump said he was going to buy it for me.

Ol trump is gonna buy me a puppy..
Hell of a guy!!

Trump 2020

Old Post 03-27-2020 07:15 PM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by croatankid
One of my earliest memories is of my older cousins dragging an old dried up coon skin around the yard with some hounds after it. I fox hunted with my grandfather but I was just the gopher for him. I think it has to be imprinted on you as a young man or boy for it to stick.

That is it right there I was daddy’s gopher to lol

Old Post 03-28-2020 03:57 AM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I have never seen it but perhaps this could be part of the explanation. Many people are in this sport and do it several ways. From Pleasure Hunting to Comp Hunting. From enjoying the training of pups to seeing the Youth get involved. You take the thousands of people and when their dog dies or hunting land goes away. Thats the little shove to just stop coon hunting. They had a good time but the fun is over for them. They have a reason to do something else without quitting on what they were doing. It quit them.
Thanks for all the replies, im just curious as to what others thought. I just cant seem to quit even though ive run out of land to hunt and mainly hunt state ground which closes at the end of April. Im 45 and hunted with a guy across the road from me that had plotts when i was just in grade school. Got my first hound from the dog pound that was a walker/blutick cross. Wasnt allowed to keep him at first so had him tied up in the woods up the road from my house and would ride my bike to the feed mill about 3 miles away and would bring his food home on a bicycle and dump it in a barrel i kept by him and had him close to a creek for water. Ive since had several hounds and maybe 2 i considered above average. I have one of the nicest young dogs ive ever turned loose right now that has me fired up like never before. Im always plugging away trying to make something. I believe because ive never been given anything ill always have a dog of my own to mess with.

Old Post 03-29-2020 05:51 AM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote