UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Mosquitoes
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
trevorwade09
UKC Forum Member

Mosquitoes

Two part question about mosquitoes.

1. Last summer when I was hunting in Michigan I got ate up by mosquitoes and that was with soaking myself with Repel 40% Sportsmen Repellent and my clothes and waders pre-sprayed in permethrin. Any other tips or just spray more? The northern mosquitoes like this Tennessee blood I guess.

2. Do you do anything special around dog kennels during the summer to keep mosquitoes away?

Last edited by trevorwade09 on 03-24-2020 at 02:38 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-24-2020 02:32 PM
trevorwade09 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trevorwade09 Click here to Send trevorwade09 a Private Message Click Here to Email trevorwade09 Find more posts by trevorwade09 Add trevorwade09 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

For me the best thing around the house is making sure there is no standing water. Not even a little. Don't know how far mosquitos roam but that has been the main key to me. Yes we still have a few but not the swarms. Now out hunting is a different story and I've never found anything that really worked.

Old Post 03-24-2020 04:51 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Best thing I've found is Deet. But it only somewhat deters them.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 03-24-2020 08:01 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Wisdom tc flowable from tractor supply around the house and kennel

Old Post 03-24-2020 08:07 PM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Deet

You need to get the bottle of deet that is I think 98%. It comes in a little white bottle. One or two pumps of that on the back of your neck and you should be good. Also the permethrin on the chaps is what I do as well. Also from Michigan.

Old Post 03-24-2020 08:31 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

I have found that skin so soft bug repellent is the best it don’t come off when you sweat

Old Post 03-24-2020 11:22 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Wisconsin Tenor Singing SOBs

Ive found that with Skin So Soft mosquitoes view it as frosting on cake or ice cream on pie!

Old Post 03-25-2020 01:04 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Feed them they are hummingbirds lol!
When in Colorado we use yard foggers for outdoor control. Here at home aside from removing standing water I keep citronella plants and lemon grass on my deck and porch. Just give them a little shake if your doing any porch setting. The candles work pretty good too. You may PM Josh Michaelis on here his wife make a spray he gave me that all sorts of herbal oil that I like better than Off. Also don't forget your dogs and heartworm prevention. They have a life cycle of 21 days and I would recommend if you use ivomec to give the dose a few days more frequent than monthly.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-25-2020 01:19 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KEVIN MOSES
UKC Forum Member

Listerine

A buddy Dustin Davis and I know in Illinois told us to get Listerine and put it in a spray bottle to use for mosquitoes. It works pretty good.

*NT.CH. MOSES' RUGGED RIDGE POACHER*

*GR.NT.CH. MOSES' PRETTYBOY POACHER*

*FCH CH GRNITECH SHATLEY LOBO*

http://www.poacherplotthounds.com/

Old Post 03-25-2020 01:23 AM
KEVIN MOSES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KEVIN MOSES Click here to Send KEVIN MOSES a Private Message Click Here to Email KEVIN MOSES Visit KEVIN MOSES's homepage! Find more posts by KEVIN MOSES Add KEVIN MOSES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondog48
UKC Forum Member

Kler Kry I had neighbor lady sell me that about ten years ago. Tried it three nights and they ate my azz up. That bottle is still laying in the woods!!!!

Old Post 03-25-2020 01:25 AM
coondog48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondog48 Click here to Send coondog48 a Private Message Click Here to Email coondog48 Find more posts by coondog48 Add coondog48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

SPARTAN MOSQUITO ERADICATOR

This stuff attracts them and kills them. Don't put near the dog pen or near where you are sitting outside. Maybe 100 foot away. Will limit the amount of skeeters you have.

Also not legal in about 10 states.

Old Post 03-25-2020 05:54 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Up here in Minnesota I find if you hunt when there is SNOW on the ground and temps. below 32 degrees there are a lot less mosquitoes. When ther no snow and teemps. get above 32 degrees I found about the best I found is Skin So Soft and mix citronella oil with it. You have to use the citronella oil you get where they sell little bottles, usually find them where they sell different healing oils. I use a little squirt bottle around 8 oz. I put 8 to 12 drops in it and the rest Skin so soft. Works for me.
Don't use the citronella oil they sell to burn. I also spray my clothes with a permethrin mix once or twice a week. Also spray my dogs before each hunt. I use the permethrin concentrate from farm store. Mix 1 oz to gallon of water. Keeps the ticks off me and the dogs. I can tell you Minnesota has lots of misquitoes and they are big. Hunting one night, walking down a trail I seen a mosquito breeding a wild turkey and he was standing flat footed on the ground.

You can't fix STUPID!

Last edited by Bob Hennessey on 03-29-2020 at 04:25 PM

Old Post 03-28-2020 03:51 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Vicks vapor rub behind your ears and on forehead will help. The skin so soft works well. Commerical sprays have to be loaded up with DEET to do any good, and even then its for a short period of time. Around the yard and kennels I mix up some Bifen 7.9% and spray it. It is amazing how it limits them and these terrifying gnats we have down here.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 03-30-2020 12:19 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote