UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rule Proposals
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Trevor / UKC
Administrator

Rule Proposals

This is a reminder that 2022 is a Rule Proposal year. All proposals need to be in to your breed association by March 4th. The rule proposals sent to UKC from the chartered Breed Associations will then be compiled and voted on at the 2022 Autumn Oaks. Any rule changes that get passed will go into effect on January 1, 2023.

In case you missed it, I wrote about this in the January issue of Coonhound Bloodlines: https://www.ukcdogs.com/docs/public...anuary_2022.pdf

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-26-2022 06:30 PM
Trevor / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trevor / UKC Click here to Send Trevor / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Trevor / UKC Find more posts by Trevor / UKC Add Trevor / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

Seems like they just got changed. It would be nice to leave them alone for a while. Imagine if all pro sports changed rules as much. Referees would have a tough time keeping up, and so do most judges in the hunts

Old Post 01-26-2022 07:32 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Why train a dog to fit rules that have mainly been around for year's? Just get the rules changed to fit the junk you got?

Old Post 01-27-2022 01:01 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J. Pinson
UKC Forum Member

Need to pass the use of thermals..

Old Post 01-27-2022 01:33 PM
J. Pinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J. Pinson Click here to Send J. Pinson a Private Message Click Here to Email J. Pinson Find more posts by J. Pinson Add J. Pinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

One man's trash/junk is another man's treasure/hunt winner.

Old Post 01-27-2022 02:20 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brad toney
UKC Forum Member

Rule and policy change recommendations

1.Allow use of thermal to help locate coon. Still have to see coon with your eyes to score.
2.Allow use of cell phone camera to score coon in den.
3. Do away with hunt director being required to stay at club.
4. Allow hunt director to compete in event.
5. Do away with the OOPS rule and make a handler responsible for calling the wrong dog on 1st offense. If you can minus one for NOT calling his own dog, how can you not minus for calling the wrong dog.

Nite CH: TONEYS SCREAM
Nite CH. PKC CH: TONEYS SCREAM 2
NIte CH. SWEET TALKIN ANNIE
Nite CH. CH. FAYARDS BAD BERNIECE
Nite Ch.PKC Ch. Toneys Daisy

Old Post 01-27-2022 02:56 PM
brad toney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brad toney Click here to Send brad toney a Private Message Click Here to Email brad toney Find more posts by brad toney Add brad toney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
las123
UKC Forum Member

rule changes

do not allow thermals...{they are too expensive not everyone can have 1,and i doubt it in this world we live in someone would let you borrow theres} i agree let the hunt director to be able to hunt his dog.i think using a squaller rule should change,back since most using it to try a pull in the other dogs.no cell phone use at all.

Last edited by las123 on 01-27-2022 at 03:14 PM

Old Post 01-27-2022 03:12 PM
las123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for las123 Click here to Send las123 a Private Message Click Here to Email las123 Find more posts by las123 Add las123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rcagla10583
UKC Forum Member

Allow hunt director to compete in event this would be so much of a help also puts money in ukc pockets that way!!!!

Long Branch Mtn Curs
UKC SQCH LONG BRANCH GHOST

Old Post 01-27-2022 04:16 PM
rcagla10583 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rcagla10583 Click here to Send rcagla10583 a Private Message Find more posts by rcagla10583 Add rcagla10583 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BAS
UKC Forum Member

Not a rule but UKC needs to send win slips for the clubs to fill out so a dog owner can have them for their records for the shows and hunts.

Old Post 01-27-2022 07:25 PM
BAS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAS Click here to Send BAS a Private Message Click Here to Email BAS Find more posts by BAS Add BAS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckshot
UKC Forum Member

Re: rule changes

quote:
Originally posted by las123
do not allow thermals...{they are too expensive not everyone can have 1,and i doubt it in this world we live in someone would let you borrow theres}

las123, while you at at it let's take it further:

Truck can not be valued at more than $5000 as not everyone can afford a $25,000 truck.

Light can not be valued more than $200 as not everyone can afford a $350 light

Dog boxes must be homemade and can not be valued at more that $200 as not everyone can afford a $1000 Owens dog box.

Tracking systems must be beep beep system as not everyone can afford a Garmin system.

Sounds rediculus? It is because it is. That logic because something is expensive and some can not afford then therefore should be dissallowed is rediculus.

Not sure how old you are but has always been the haves and have nots.

Why should those that can afford something be penalized because you can not afford it??? It does not work like that in the real world.

Last edited by Buckshot on 01-27-2022 at 07:33 PM

Old Post 01-27-2022 07:31 PM
Buckshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buckshot Click here to Send Buckshot a Private Message Click Here to Email Buckshot Find more posts by Buckshot Add Buckshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: rule changes

quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
las123, while you at at it let's take it further:

Truck can not be valued at more than $5000 as not everyone can afford a $25,000 truck.

Light can not be valued more than $200 as not everyone can afford a $350 light

Dog boxes must be homemade and can not be valued at more that $200 as not everyone can afford a $1000 Owens dog box.

Tracking systems must be beep beep system as not everyone can afford a Garmin system.

Sounds rediculus? It is because it is. That logic because something is expensive and some can not afford then therefore should be dissallowed is rediculus.

Not sure how old you are but has always been the haves and have nots.

Why should those that can afford something be penalized because you can not afford it??? It does not work like that in the real world.

Great point and I agree, if something works, let's use it. I can guarantee that some folks still do not own Garmin, but we are allowing Garmin in the hunts. If we wait for everyone to afford something, we will never get there. Dave

Old Post 01-27-2022 10:13 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

All I can afford is a $200 dog. Should anybody with a more expensive dog be disqualified?

Old Post 01-28-2022 12:05 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

If I wear tennis shoes can we make it so we can only hunt dry ground and flat clean golf course hunting? Hip boots are getting expensive

Old Post 01-28-2022 12:28 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
waltz
UKC Forum Member

Rules change

I am not against thermals at all
But people do have things they can afford to buy to use it's there choice. But if a guy can't find coon in time aloud to shine 9 out of 10 times it isn't there. As a working man I can't afford 10000 Dollar dog those that can that's great. But don't gudge the people who can't afford one for being stupid as some of you have posted. It's just there appinion. If I had a vote I say don't use them or cameras. Sometime the game is just lucky and guys should lean to take what the get.

Old Post 01-28-2022 01:02 AM
waltz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for waltz Click here to Send waltz a Private Message Click Here to Email waltz Find more posts by waltz Add waltz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

If thermals r allowed ...I would like to see a thermal shine time instituted along w/them....
Naked eye 8 minutes of shine time
Thermal 1 minute (or less) of shine time...

Old Post 01-28-2022 01:50 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J. Pinson
UKC Forum Member

I can’t understand why everyone wouldn’t want to use whatever tool necessary to find a coon not using them just doesn’t make sense to this dumb hillbilly

Old Post 01-28-2022 03:14 AM
J. Pinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J. Pinson Click here to Send J. Pinson a Private Message Click Here to Email J. Pinson Find more posts by J. Pinson Add J. Pinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Heikki
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rules change

quote:
Originally posted by waltz
I am not against thermals at all
But people do have things they can afford to buy to use it's there choice. But if a guy can't find coon in time aloud to shine 9 out of 10 times it isn't there. As a working man I can't afford 10000 Dollar dog those that can that's great. But don't gudge the people who can't afford one for being stupid as some of you have posted. It's just there appinion. If I had a vote I say don't use them or cameras. Sometime the game is just lucky and guys should lean to take what the get.

Is it not the same way around, are they not gudging (judging) people who can afford them for spending the money for one? I think we should absolutely be aloud to use them, & yes I would use mine to help find someone else’s coon, that’s just good sportsmanship.

NtCh Yeager’s Poison Ivy
PKC CH The Midnight Toker
2023 Spring SS Freshman Champion

Old Post 01-28-2022 04:46 AM
Heikki is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Heikki Click here to Send Heikki a Private Message Click Here to Email Heikki Find more posts by Heikki Add Heikki to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A House Cat
UKC Forum Member

So the Breed Assc are the ones that cast their vote to each rule proposal change? What does this look like? Is it 7 men representing each breed that has 1 vote? If so then then rules are at the mercy of 7 men. If not then how many get to vote from each chartered breed Assc? Would be idea 💡 to be able to allow the UKC hunters to vote as a whole but how could that be accomplished?

Old Post 01-28-2022 11:57 AM
A House Cat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A House Cat Click here to Send A House Cat a Private Message Find more posts by A House Cat Add A House Cat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tillery
UKC Forum Member

I don't understand why folks are against using a thermal, especially in a registry where you have to see a coon to have a cast winner. They are only a tool, they aren't some magical device. And you would still have to see the actual coon with your eyes to score it, the thermal could just help narrow down the search area.

Thermals are not a sure thing. Just because you can't find the coon with a thermal, doesn't mean it isn't there. I have had coons sitting in plain sight in a tree that wouldn't show on the thermal, they just looked like part of the tree. (Here is a link to a video of this: https://youtu.be/zdWh2OIB4ws ) I have also found coons using the thermal that I wouldn't have found otherwise. Here is a video where the coon is obvious: https://youtu.be/BzxYLRcFOq4

I also hunt in another registry where thermals are already permitted. Every cast I have been on, the handlers who had a thermal used it on every tree we shined regardless of who stood to gain or not. It is just good sportsmanship. I am sure there are guys out there who wouldn't do this, but I have not seen it yet.

Waltz said that 9 out of 10 coons can be found during shine time without a thermal if they are there. That may be true, but if it takes 7 minutes of hunt time versus 2 minutes with a thermal to find and score a coon then that's 5 more minutes a dog has to tree another coon. If you could save 5 minutes per tree, that can add up to quite a bit of extra time your hound can be hunting instead of tied to a tree while you are shining. Those extra minutes are a difference maker, especially in a 1 hour hunt.

Guys who are against using them, I urge you to try one and then you will fully understand the potential benefits allowing their use.

Old Post 01-28-2022 12:11 PM
Tillery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tillery Click here to Send Tillery a Private Message Click Here to Email Tillery Find more posts by Tillery Add Tillery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Rules change

quote:
Originally posted by Heikki
Is it not the same way around, are they not gudging (judging) people who can afford them for spending the money for one? I think we should absolutely be aloud to use them, & yes I would use mine to help find someone else’s coon, that’s just good sportsmanship.

Not all are good sportsman, especially when their device just found the coon for you that beat them for some major cash. They spent all that money for a device to beat them. Nope you will never ever get all to allow their devices to be used by everyone. It would be a perfect world if you could, but this world ain't perfect. Proof you want? Two Words:::: Joe Biden.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 01-28-2022 12:44 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by BAS
Not a rule but UKC needs to send win slips for the clubs to fill out so a dog owner can have them for their records for the shows and hunts.

You'll actually start seeing win slips available again to the clubs' winners. They'll be in the packets starting with March events.

Old Post 01-28-2022 01:52 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
las123
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: rule changes

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Great point and I agree, if something works, let's use it. I can guarantee that some folks still do not own Garmin, but we are allowing Garmin in the hunts. If we wait for everyone to afford something, we will never get there. Dave
you are missing my point,if you honestly think that that someone who has 1 and it comes down to them using a thermal and finding someone elses coon to determine the outcome of the cast winner,i can almost gauntree he wont..its just like now you are winning the cast,other dog trees if you find the coon you loose.if coon not found he wins.do you honesly think he is gonna really shine the tree hard to help you find 1.i have been on casts {not just local,but bigger hunts}both judging and competing on that the person winning the cast acts like they are shining but really isnt looking for it,and you cant tell me you have never experiance it.i have also been on casts where thermals were allowed.it picks up something up,but you cant see it with the naked eye,so they circle it,then as walking away you see it was a squirell of even a opposum.he convinces other people because there is an image when in reality should have been minused.and to those who think everyone is a good sportsman,they are full of bs.

Old Post 01-28-2022 02:33 PM
las123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for las123 Click here to Send las123 a Private Message Click Here to Email las123 Find more posts by las123 Add las123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
You'll actually start seeing win slips available again to the clubs' winners. They'll be in the packets starting with March events.

That’s good news.

Old Post 01-28-2022 02:48 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Outback1
UKC Forum Member

Re: ..

quote:
Originally posted by J. Pinson
Need to pass the use of thermals..

This!

Old Post 01-28-2022 04:49 PM
Outback1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outback1 Click here to Send Outback1 a Private Message Find more posts by Outback1 Add Outback1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: rule changes

quote:
Originally posted by las123
you are missing my point,if you honestly think that that someone who has 1 and it comes down to them using a thermal and finding someone elses coon to determine the outcome of the cast winner,i can almost gauntree he wont..its just like now you are winning the cast,other dog trees if you find the coon you loose.if coon not found he wins.do you honesly think he is gonna really shine the tree hard to help you find 1.i have been on casts {not just local,but bigger hunts}both judging and competing on that the person winning the cast acts like they are shining but really isnt looking for it,and you cant tell me you have never experiance it.i have also been on casts where thermals were allowed.it picks up something up,but you cant see it with the naked eye,so they circle it,then as walking away you see it was a squirell of even a opposum.he convinces other people because there is an image when in reality should have been minused.and to those who think everyone is a good sportsman,they are full of bs.

Not really how thermals work. They don't come across and say "COON!" Also nothing says I have to use my light to find your coon or try to find it either. Thermal has nothing to do with the scoring of someone else's tree. I'm PRO-thermal because we are in a game to score on the most coons. Why not use every tool possible to reward a dog that does that? Also whos the say you cant convince someone that knot is a hole? Thermals are a new tool that needs to be used.