UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Wake up a stale dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

Wake up a stale dog

First of all, I haven't owned a coon dog in about 15 years and have only had hand me down dogs from my dad that were very good dogs. Ive never had one with the kind of issues this dog has.

She's a little Nite Champ female that is 6 years old. An older gentleman is letting me hunt her to see if I can get some fire back into her. She has been in a raised pen for at least a year getting fat and lazy.

So far, on the two hunts we've taken her on, she is slow to leave our side, but eventually does with ZERO URGENCY. She will only hunt out to about 100 yards. We were told when she hunted, she would hunt out without any help. She will open and tree, but theres hardly much of a race involved. Weve been out two nights and she has treed 4 times the first night, and 3 the second night. The trees have all been slick (95% sure) with the exception of one "grinner".

We do have a lot of coons on the property Im hunting, but I have to believe she is either treeing squirrels, or just locking down on the first tree she finds. We have pulled her off of the slick trees and sent her on, but it basically restarts the process of her hanging by our feet for 5 or 10 minutes and eventually taking off to go hunting again.

We have only hunter her by herself. Being a Nite Champ, I know this little female had the get up and go at one time. Does anyone have any ideas on how to "wake her up" before we throw in the towel? Hunt with another good dog maybe? Or trap and release a coon in front of her? I want to give her a good opportunity to get it together before we give up on her.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-17-2022 11:02 PM
Ehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ehill Click here to Send Ehill a Private Message Click Here to Email Ehill Find more posts by Ehill Add Ehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

patience

Im not known for having much patience with a dog but sounds like you might need a little patience rite now.I think her biggest problem now is being way out of shape. I have above ground kennels myself and if you dont give them some exercise they can get in real bad shape.Sure sounds like she hasnt forgot how to tree. This time of year coon are in rut too.This may be a reason for some of the slick trees.

Old Post 01-18-2022 02:33 AM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

I agree

She is definitely out of shape. I have her in a concrete floored pen about 10x15 now. May take her to vet this week and make sure theres nothing in her bloodwork.

Old Post 01-18-2022 02:22 PM
Ehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ehill Click here to Send Ehill a Private Message Click Here to Email Ehill Find more posts by Ehill Add Ehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Re: I agree

quote:
Originally posted by Ehill
May take her to vet this week and make sure theres nothing in her bloodwork.

Just what I was getting ready to post. Full bloodwork, tick diseases, and heart worm. Wouldn’t hurt to check thyroid either. Good luck in your endeavor!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Last edited by Vic Stoll on 01-18-2022 at 02:28 PM

Old Post 01-18-2022 02:26 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Re: patience

quote:
Originally posted by critter
Im not known for having much patience with a dog but sounds like you might need a little patience rite now.I think her biggest problem now is being way out of shape. I have above ground kennels myself and if you dont give them some exercise they can get in real bad shape.Sure sounds like she hasnt forgot how to tree. This time of year coon are in rut too.This may be a reason for some of the slick trees.
Dogs slick tree when it is rut time?

Old Post 01-18-2022 08:14 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jake waddell
UKC Forum Member

had a grand nite female that would do that, apsolutly drove me crazy tried lots of different things to get her to go back hunting after treeing, finnaly just accepted that she was going to stand beside me for 5 to 10 min, an then go back hunting, but she was pretty good to have the meat when she did, dogs have to get there noses inshape just like the rest of there bodies, maybe change feed, if shes sluggesh, low energy feed can lead to low energy dog, thats if her blood work checks out.

Old Post 01-19-2022 12:08 AM
jake waddell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jake waddell Click here to Send jake waddell a Private Message Click Here to Email jake waddell Find more posts by jake waddell Add jake waddell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

Feed

Ive been thinking feed as well. Old man fed her cheap ole pedigree food, and I swapped her to Victor performance in the green bag. She eats the victor, but very slow about it. I dont think she likes it very well. She went to town on the purina one that my daughter feeds her yorkie.

I like the cleanup of the Victor, but it takes her 2 days to eat the suggested amount for her weight......

Old Post 01-19-2022 12:25 AM
critter
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: patience

YES!

Old Post 01-19-2022 06:10 AM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Wonder how you’d do if you’d been out of work for quite awhile, got uprooted, sent to a strange place where you knew no one and were given a job working for someone you’d never worked for before?

How long did you give this dog a chance to get use to you before turning her loose in the woods?

Old Post 01-20-2022 05:38 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

2 weeks

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Wonder how you’d do if you’d been out of work for quite awhile, got uprooted, sent to a strange place where you knew no one and were given a job working for someone you’d never worked for before?

How long did you give this dog a chance to get use to you before turning her loose in the woods?

2 weeks dan. Outside petting her up and messing with her everyday. Im gonna assume you meant nothing but trying to help with your comment.

Old Post 01-20-2022 08:26 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Hunt her. I don't think there's a quick fix.

Old Post 01-20-2022 08:35 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Well……sounds like you’re doing all you can on your end. Guess it’s up to you as far as how much you want to invest in regards to medical tests. If she’s been laid up and not been hunted maybe it’s going to be a combination of things before she gets acclimated to a new handler/owner and surroundings.

Do you know if she was ever soloed much? Hounds that have not been soloed much sometimes take awhile to adjust to hunting alone.

Hope she comes around and makes you a nice one!

Old Post 01-20-2022 09:12 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

So far

Ive changed over to Pro Plan from Victor. Have vet appt tomorrow with bloodwork. I dont mind spending a little money for the dogs health regardless.

Shes rested all week. I plan to hunt her tomorrow evening alone, and Sat night with another dog.

I dont know how much she was soloed. The older gentleman that had her is now in the hospital and had a stroke. Havent spoken to him in a while. He did tell me that she was a good dog when he was hunting her. But he got to where he couldnt go, and she layed in a pen. Of course, every mans idea of a "good dog" is different.

Ill post results after the weekend.

Old Post 01-20-2022 09:53 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I think if she were mine, the next coon she trees if she does a decent job and your season is open I’d shoot it out to her just to remind her of what’s up that tree!

Old Post 01-21-2022 01:03 AM
Sostangcrazy
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: patience

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Dogs slick tree when it is rut time?

Absolutely, boar coons are running up and down trees for miles checking them. The females are also doing the same to get away if not ready. You will also make more den trees because they are checking dens.

Old Post 01-21-2022 10:21 AM
Sostangcrazy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sostangcrazy Click here to Send Sostangcrazy a Private Message Click Here to Email Sostangcrazy Find more posts by Sostangcrazy Add Sostangcrazy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sostangcrazy
UKC Forum Member

I think you get her weight down and keep taking her. Let her leave on her own terms. I would use words like go find him and hunt him up. Put her in good situation where you know there are coons. Walk with her a little and let her just wonder. Change her food to a high protein low fat for energy. Worm her an deparasit her. Sounds like she is lazy or don’t trust you fully. Also how many times has she been swapped if none this is new to her. Some of my best hounds have been ones people think they can beat what they want in them and what they don’t out of them. I have turned a many of the hounds around because they was confused on what the handler really wanted. Handlers ruin more hounds than they make. Some make to many excuses and don’t correct issues and create idiots too. There is a fine line but really follow your instincts and you will probably start seeing improvements daily. My 1st goal would be health and 2ng goal would be 60 consecutive nights in woods. My opinion hopefully it helps and good luck.

Old Post 01-21-2022 10:32 AM
Sostangcrazy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sostangcrazy Click here to Send Sostangcrazy a Private Message Click Here to Email Sostangcrazy Find more posts by Sostangcrazy Add Sostangcrazy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

Well

Negative for parasites, heartworm, and tick diseases. Basically shes out of shape, which we knew. Good food and lots of hunting. Hopefully turns her around.

Old Post 01-21-2022 09:41 PM
Emily
UKC Forum Member

Perhaps she's forgotten what a coon smells like. I had one that had gotten out of shape that I woke up with a roadkill coon tail. Brought it home to him and let him play with it for a few days, and the next time we went to the woods he went out looking for one right away. Got treed with the meat, got praised, and he remembered what it was about.

Old Post 01-22-2022 02:55 AM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rockcreek21
UKC Forum Member

if you have any gravel forest service roads or long gravel roads with no traffic, tram her in front of the truck and get her legs under her awhile. she will shape up quick as long as youre applying pressure and making her move pretty quick.

Old Post 01-24-2022 11:24 AM
rockcreek21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rockcreek21 Click here to Send rockcreek21 a Private Message Find more posts by rockcreek21 Add rockcreek21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rockcreek21
UKC Forum Member

if you have any gravel forest service roads or long gravel roads with no traffic, tram her in front of the truck and get her legs under her awhile. she will shape up quick as long as youre applying pressure and making her move pretty quick.

Old Post 01-24-2022 11:24 AM
rockcreek21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rockcreek21 Click here to Send rockcreek21 a Private Message Find more posts by rockcreek21 Add rockcreek21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

Saw a difference

Saw a small difference last night. Took another dog and left her in the box on the first turnout. He went in and treed and she went nuts. Put him in the box and turned her loose. She didnt throw dirt, but did take off faster than she has been. Struck a track about 75 yards away and pushed back towards us. She treed about 50 yards after striking. When I walked in, I busted the coon out of a brush pile about 5 yards in front of her from where she was treed. Coon ran out into short pines and broomsedge. I pulled her off the tree and sent her on the way the coon went. Then, she pulled the usual and stood around staring at us like we didn't do "our" job. I pushed her on down the track and she babbled a little bit. Seems like she lost the track in the sedge.....giving up too easily.

Old Post 01-24-2022 12:04 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: patience

quote:
Originally posted by Sostangcrazy
Absolutely, boar coons are running up and down trees for miles checking them. The females are also doing the same to get away if not ready. You will also make more den trees because they are checking dens.
I mean no disrespect what so ever, but that makes no sense to me what so ever! But I could be a little slow I guess.

Old Post 01-25-2022 02:04 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jake waddell
UKC Forum Member

sounds like she has people issues to me . once you snapped her she quit, dogs can sure make you scrach your head, probably something from her past, that she didnt get over or didnt understand, i like the stay in the box ive used that before, but i usually use it when they come in or quit put them up an forgetem for the rest of the nite, if it is a people problem id hunt her with other dogs and forget shes there when the hunts over she better be at the truck or shes going to get left if shes not doing anything. shes got to get with the program an know that you are alapha, you dont have to beat a dog to get them to understand that, when she does what you want praise her like shes the greatest thing since sliced bread, when she doesnt ack like she doesnt exist, thats why i like to have more than one dog down so the spot light is not on just the one. once they start shinning then cut them solo .

Old Post 01-26-2022 01:32 AM
jake waddell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jake waddell Click here to Send jake waddell a Private Message Click Here to Email jake waddell Find more posts by jake waddell Add jake waddell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

Had a similar situation myself. Got an older dog that hadn't been hunted much at all in about a year when i picked her up. Guy i bought her from warned me she would "test" me until she got used to me. Wasn't sure what he meant until i started hunting her. Unsnap her, she'd look around like she was lost for several minutes. Finally she'd go on, but would go about 250 yards and come back. Made some very questionable trees early on. Once I hunted her for about 2-3 weeks (2-3 nights a week), she started coming around. Got some weight off of her, got a little better. Hunted her with some other dogs, got a little better. Knocked a few coons out to her when kill season opened, looked a little better. She's not a world beater by any means, but she trees coons and I like how she operates. I hunt her solo 95% of the time now and she goes when unsnapped and goes until she finds one. Keep her busy and I'd say she'll come around.

Old Post 01-28-2022 12:49 AM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote