UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Alpha or Dogtra
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
craig kline
UKC Forum Member

Alpha or Dogtra

Looking to upgrade my Garmin 320 and Tri-tronics shocking collar to a Garmin Alpha or Dogtra Track and Train.
Have used a Garmin Alpha and like it but don’t know anything about the Dogtra.
Anyone used both and have pros and cons for these 2 systems?
Also want something that is allowed to run in the hunts.
Any advice or info on either is appreciated.

The Good Ones will never be forgotten:
"RANGER" 9/9/96-1/5/07
"SON" 7/8/10-12/11/13

Last edited by craig kline on 08-22-2019 at 06:13 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-22-2019 05:31 AM
craig kline is offline Click Here to See the Profile for craig kline Click here to Send craig kline a Private Message Click Here to Email craig kline Find more posts by craig kline Add craig kline to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brian napier
UKC Forum Member

The Dogtra is much easier to use and I like it. If I had to choose one I would go with the Alpha though. The reason is I don't like taking my phone out on bad nights.

Old Post 08-22-2019 10:03 AM
brian napier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brian napier Click here to Send brian napier a Private Message Click Here to Email brian napier Find more posts by brian napier Add brian napier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Hazel
UKC Forum Member

Alpha or Dogtra

I own both of them. I like the Dogtra better it’s on my phone easier to carry.

John 3:16

Old Post 08-22-2019 12:00 PM
Gary Hazel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Hazel Click here to Send Gary Hazel a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Hazel Find more posts by Gary Hazel Add Gary Hazel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Until early Sept. there is a $100 mail in rebate on the ALPHA.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 08-22-2019 at 12:24 PM

Old Post 08-22-2019 12:22 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

I just MADE THIS DECISION myself.I dont like change and that was one reason I went back with the ALPHA,2nd reason was Like Bruce said $100.00 REBATE and 3rd (BEST REASON) I stuck with the GARMIN was I WITNESSED A GARMIN HANDHELD BECOME LOST AND WE FOUND IT 50 MINUTES LATER IN KNEE DEEP WATER ..AND IT NEVER FAILED..Almost unbelievable BUT I SAW IT PERSONALLY...The reason I dont like using my phone as a tracking device is I WILL DROP IT OUT MY HAND INTO A BEAVERPOND AND I BET THE PHONE WONT TAKE BEING SUNK VERY LONG...

Old Post 08-22-2019 11:07 PM
James B Grice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

I just MADE THIS DECISION myself.I dont like change and that was one reason I went back with the ALPHA,2nd reason was Like Bruce said $100.00 REBATE and 3rd (BEST REASON) I stuck with the GARMIN was I WITNESSED A GARMIN HANDHELD BECOME LOST AND WE FOUND IT 50 MINUTES LATER IN KNEE DEEP WATER ..AND IT NEVER FAILED..Almost unbelievable BUT I SAW IT PERSONALLY...The reason I dont like using my phone as a tracking device is I WILL DROP IT OUT MY HAND INTO A BEAVERPOND AND I BET THE PHONE WONT TAKE BEING SUNK VERY LONG...

Old Post 08-22-2019 11:14 PM
James B Grice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I prefer the Dogtra, have used both. Dogtra just so much easier and user friendly. Also, no up charges or subscriptions for maps. i ordered a Dan's comp vest to hold it so I'm not putting my phone in my pocket. Also throw a spare phone charger in it also,,,, just in case. Probably not as overall durable as the Alpha... but I could but two of them cheaper than one Alpha. I prefer the bigger, much higher quality screen of my phone than the Alpha display.

Both very good products, can't really go wrong. I always tell people though... your Dogtra experience will be somewhat commensurate with the quality of phone you have.

Old Post 08-23-2019 03:58 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

Dogtra

I love my dogtra. I have a few friends with the alpha and they like them too. Dogtra is half the price. I have literally never lost signal, but have been with my buddy's when they have with the garmin. The screen size is also a biggie for me. Your phone is gonna almost always have a bigger screen than the garmin. I haven't used it a lot in cold weather but it stays up with no problem during warm weather. Also it doesn't juice my phone either. Only advantage to the garmin is being able to pair the watch with it. The watch would be handy. I'm hoping one day they make a watch that works with the dogtra.

Old Post 08-23-2019 04:01 AM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Dogtra is fine if you don't hunt in rough conditions where you don't have any signal and if you don't hunt big game and need to put in a bunch of dogs.

I never was able to allow two people to track the same dogs with my Dogtra (which I still have and use). It always messed one or the other one up.

Garmin is easy, just punch in the numbers and track all the dogs.

Before someone says preload the maps, it don't work when you have a large area with no signal because the map you preload will try to refresh and it will get blurry and you will need to go to an area that wasn't on your screen at the time at some point and that won't come in either so you have to preload such a large area that you don't have any resolution.

Old Post 08-23-2019 04:38 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I favor the Garmin but I also like to see accurate information shared about the products.

Two things said that I find are in error.

First you do not need any cell phone service. To prove that I purchased a $79 phone off Amazon and use it with mine. It is not connected to any provider. All the cell phone is used for is the GPS information it collects while on. The Dogtra transmits to the cell phone though the small black box called the Collector with blue tooth then the signal the cell phone works with the cell phones gps and puts that info on the screen.

Second is the maps. When they first came out and still some people feel you have to download the maps using the menu for offline maps. That is a pain in the but but works but is not needed.

All you have to do is download Google Maps. Not Google Earth but Google maps. Open it when at home with wifi and then increase the map size on the screen to cover your whole state or more. Then all you have to do is use the device and the maps are there.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 08-23-2019 at 04:16 PM

Old Post 08-23-2019 04:10 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

Dogtra

Yes that is right about the maps. I frequently hunt in places with zero cell service. I always connect my phone with the connector/collar before I leave the house. Sometimes I drive a hour to hunt, and have no service. Maps always work fine... Really wish there was a watch for the dogtra system...that's my only complaint..

Old Post 08-23-2019 04:19 PM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
craig kline
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for the input on these. I will be making a decision at Autumn Oaks next week.
Anyone else with experience with these let me hear it.

The Good Ones will never be forgotten:
"RANGER" 9/9/96-1/5/07
"SON" 7/8/10-12/11/13

Old Post 08-23-2019 04:48 PM
craig kline is offline Click Here to See the Profile for craig kline Click here to Send craig kline a Private Message Click Here to Email craig kline Find more posts by craig kline Add craig kline to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I will be at AO and will be glad to explain the system or other systems to you.

Old Post 08-23-2019 07:26 PM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I favor the Garmin but I also like to see accurate information shared about the products.

Two things said that I find are in error.

First you do not need any cell phone service. To prove that I purchased a $79 phone off Amazon and use it with mine. It is not connected to any provider. All the cell phone is used for is the GPS information it collects while on. The Dogtra transmits to the cell phone though the small black box called the Collector with blue tooth then the signal the cell phone works with the cell phones gps and puts that info on the screen.

Second is the maps. When they first came out and still some people feel you have to download the maps using the menu for offline maps. That is a pain in the but but works but is not needed.

All you have to do is download Google Maps. Not Google Earth but Google maps. Open it when at home with wifi and then increase the map size on the screen to cover your whole state or more. Then all you have to do is use the device and the maps are there.

Like I said above the problem when you do that is you can't zoom in and have any resolution without service with google maps, google earth whatever.

You can see the general area but in the mountains where I hunt if you try that you can see 20 miles but you can't see when you zoom in you can only see the level that you saved before you left the house. When you start to try and zoom in it just blurrs .

Old Post 08-24-2019 02:05 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

RIP I sure don't find that to be the case for me. It isn't google maps or whatever. Google maps are what you need to have downloaded to your phone and is different from Google earth. It is also different that going into the Dogtra program and downloading off load maps. I will get you some screen shots posted today and you can see if they are clear on my phone.

Old Post 08-24-2019 11:58 AM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

This is a screen shot of the Icon that you should have on your screen if you have the correct maps downloaded.
----------------------------------------------------------------

This is a screen shot of your area zoomed out

This is a screen shot of zooming in some

This is zoomed in all the way

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 08-24-2019 at 12:41 PM

Old Post 08-24-2019 12:30 PM