UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Where do you think coon hunting will be 15 years from now.
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I sure wish we could have coon on log again. It was awesome. Sundays after church be 150 people swimming treeing contest,coon on log. My favorite was coon in barrel. It took a tough dog to swim over and pull him out that barrel. They were the good old days. It got them puppies fired up

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-02-2015 10:50 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

That never happened. It's just a figment of Peta's imagination.

Old Post 03-02-2015 11:02 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Where will we be in 15 yrs.

Well I sure don't know the answer to that question but I do think our sport is in serious jeopardy to still be around in the next 50 years. I believe about the only thing that will change the course of coon hunting, as we know it today, will be a well orchestrated civil uprising.

Now that opinion, and about a buck twenty five, (buck fifty) if you go to Tim Horton's, will get you a warm cup of coffee, LOL!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 03-03-2015 12:39 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Cowan
UKC Forum Member

best of luck

I don't think there will be many of us left,i just hope that ill be able to still be here ,I do know that this is HEAVEN and I would like to enjoy it as long as possible!

Old Post 03-03-2015 03:39 AM
John Cowan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Cowan Click here to Send John Cowan a Private Message Click Here to Email John Cowan Find more posts by John Cowan Add John Cowan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Gone

I remember back in the 80's and 90's going to hunts you had 40 dogs show up now you are lucky to have 15. The hunters are just not there like the old days in my area anyway. I got out back in the late 90's and just got back into it again 2013. Getting ground to hunt is not a problem here as I got over 20 farms to hunt just since I got back into the sport and plenty of coon to boot. Just dont have the hunters anymore. So in 15 years I think it will be about done. I got my 6 year old boy loving the sport and goes with me every time he can if it is not a school night.

Old Post 03-03-2015 04:46 AM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

15 Years

Probably in 15 years all the old hunting ground will be leased, by deer hunters, and they won't let anyone coon hunt their lease, for fear of the hounds scareing their deer off. That will only leave family and state ground to hunt on.

Old Post 03-03-2015 05:52 AM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaz2012
Banned

It will be illegal !

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 03-03-2015 04:02 PM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

In 15 years I will be 70 years old. I hope with all my heart that I will still be able to cut a dog into a river bottom or good decent swamp on a cold November night.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 03-03-2015 04:35 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DOUG CHEEK
UKC Forum Member

LARRY ---U will still be able to cut him loose -----BUT U might have to brother D DEAN to go and get him off the tree ---------lol lol

ALWAYS GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Old Post 03-03-2015 04:47 PM
DOUG CHEEK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOUG CHEEK Click here to Send DOUG CHEEK a Private Message Click Here to Email DOUG CHEEK Find more posts by DOUG CHEEK Add DOUG CHEEK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaz2012
Banned

Re: 15 Years

quote:
Originally posted by JOE H BROOKS
Probably in 15 years all the old hunting ground will be leased, by deer hunters, and they won't let anyone coon hunt their lease, for fear of the hounds scareing their deer off. That will only leave family and state ground to hunt on.

Its that way now.

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 03-06-2015 04:24 PM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DOUG CHEEK
LARRY ---U will still be able to cut him loose -----BUT U might have to brother D DEAN to go and get him off the tree ---------lol lol

Doug,

My retirement plan and goal is to hunt like Mr. Giddings. Besides, I just can't picture me letting a boo-tick guy get my walcur off a tree.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 03-06-2015 05:46 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redfeather
UKC Forum Member

did you ever see a 2 man team coon sackin contest? 1 climbs the tree and shakes it out,the other catches it and waits for the climber to get down and hold the toesack

Old Post 03-07-2015 03:33 AM
redfeather is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redfeather Click here to Send redfeather a Private Message Click Here to Email redfeather Find more posts by redfeather Add redfeather to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

I know Im just a young'n but I feel like it will still be here. In 15 years I'll be 31 so I pray it is. My dad got out of it probably 10 years ago. His last SETWD when he hunted was in 96 I think. I got him to take me in 2012 and he said there was wayyyyyyy more people there in '12 than in '96. I've got a ton of buddies that hunt with me from school and he said when he was in school he only knew 3 or 4 guys besides family that hunted. So as long as its not outlawed I feel like it will still be here as far as the number of hunters goes.

If they don't bay, they don't stay

Catch em and stretch em, tree em and free em

'PR' McPherson's Big Mouth Brandy

Old Post 03-07-2015 04:09 AM
Bayemup34 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bayemup34 Click here to Send Bayemup34 a Private Message Find more posts by Bayemup34 Add Bayemup34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DOUG CHEEK
UKC Forum Member

YEP---MR. F GIDDINGS ---is harder than a pine NOTT ---he keeps in shape in that big swamps there by the house --fine man --

Old Post 03-07-2015 12:10 PM
DOUG CHEEK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOUG CHEEK Click here to Send DOUG CHEEK a Private Message Click Here to Email DOUG CHEEK Find more posts by DOUG CHEEK Add DOUG CHEEK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoggyBayouBlues
UKC Forum Member

coon hunting

I think coon hunting will still be around, But i don't think UKC hunts will be around.

Old Post 03-07-2015 11:02 PM
LoggyBayouBlues is online now Click Here to See the Profile for LoggyBayouBlues Click here to Send LoggyBayouBlues a Private Message Click Here to Email LoggyBayouBlues Find more posts by LoggyBayouBlues Add LoggyBayouBlues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Classic rivers
UKC Forum Member

I think UKC hunts will still be around........but they will
Be 1 hour hunts due to a lot of folks not having as much hunting placed, at least around here. Development is everywhere. Soooo, you get 5 times the hunters hunting govt. land. We will see. I hope I'm wrong.

Old Post 03-08-2015 12:21 PM
Classic rivers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Classic rivers Click here to Send Classic rivers a Private Message Click Here to Email Classic rivers Find more posts by Classic rivers Add Classic rivers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Flint
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by cameronk
15 years from now... I hope we are still able to free cast hounds and able to enjoy hunting. I also hope the government stays out of how we raise dogs and these anti-tethering bills go away.

The way I see it we have far greater concerns than turning loose coon. Coon are one adaptable animal. If they can find food, water, and shelter they can survive. Disease may knock them back for a few years, but give them time and their numbers will rebound.

I am more concerned about anti-tethering bills, HSUS, PETA, coon hunters putting inappropriate videos and photos on the internet, and loss of hunting habitat. This is the kind of stuff that poses a real threat to us!

When you go to the Voting Booth you can change this!
Educate yourself on what the candidates you vote for stand for and have voted on in the past! Our Govt continues to get larger and we lose more rights, special interest is killing all dog sports!

Gr Nt Ch "PR" Flint's Terrible Tiny
(Tammy X Wootens Ohio River Duke)
Gr Ch Gr Nt Ch "Pr"Flint's Rat Poison
( Rat Attack X Hot Pepper)
Gr Nt Ch Gr Ch "Pr"Flint's Pine Knot
(Iron Eagle X Hot Pepper)
Nt Ch "Pr"Flint's Jody
Nt Ch "Pr"Flint's Big E
(Rat X Tiny)
Ch Nt Ch "Pr"Flint & Chilzers Rat's Boy
( Rat X Pepper)
Nt Ch Ch "Pr" Torch's Hot Pepper
(Torch X Tammy )
=4 wins to GR Nt(1999 Southeastern Treeing Walker Days High Scoring Opposite Sex Winner)
Nt Ch "Pr"Torch's Hot Son
(Torch X Tammy)
Gr. Nt. Ch. "Pr" Flint's Spider Monkey -2 time double cast winner at TWBFA Days
(Gr Nt Ch Honey Creek Spider x Nt Ch Gibbies Easy Money)
Ch Gr Nt Ch Slobber Slingin Daisy May
(Big E X Slobber Slingin Poison)
Ch Gr Nt Ch Slobber Slinging Iron Butterfly
(Gr Nt Ch Gander x Ch Gr Nt Ch Slobber Slinging Daisy May)
Nt Ch Flint’s Tiger Lilly
(Gr Nt Ch Martin’s Hardwood Solo x Hoy’s Treetop Mandy)
Nt Ch Flint’s Sod Buster
(Camo Man x Slobber Sling Daisy May)

Last edited by Steve Flint on 07-13-2015 at 06:19 PM

Old Post 07-13-2015 04:38 PM
Steve Flint is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Flint Click here to Send Steve Flint a Private Message Click Here to Email Steve Flint Find more posts by Steve Flint Add Steve Flint to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Just imagine what the technology will be like. Look at the advanves that have been made in lights, electronics, cell phones, videos and E-collars in the last 15 yrs. There is no telling what we will have in 15 more yrs.... cameras, viewing screens, thermal imaging, drones and no telling what else. Just imagine if a non-hunting judge had a high quality thermal imagineing device borrowed from the military to judge the trees with at the World hunt. There would be no more circle trees. Us 80 yr plus olds will be able to sit at the truck and see/know exactly what is going on. Maybe they will have spectator/viewing areas with bleachers for the big hunts. Or maybe everyone will be able to watch the final cast of the world hunt on a big screen. I have seen the military sit in a room in Washington and watch Navy Seals on a nightime operation in Afghanistan. What will handlers act like when they know that 100's of people are watching/listening?

Old Post 07-13-2015 05:11 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DOUG CHEEK
UKC Forum Member

Richard --it will be ROBOT hunting ---they have those men that can't hunt anymore due injury shot a deer by the computer --even in another state away --god bless them

Old Post 07-13-2015 08:33 PM
Steve Fielder
UKC Forum Member

I'm usually a "the glass is half full" kind of guy but I may come across as being negative here. Age brings humility and to a degree, wisdom. I'm 68 years old. I have enjoyed being smack dab in the middle of the glory years of this sport when the two main coon hunting magazines had more than 60 thousand subscribers combined, RQEs and state hunts averaged upwards of 100 dogs and local hunts closer to 30. A record of 100 dogs was required to apply for a Purina event. There's no doubt interest in the sport is in decline but why? Attrition is one thing. This is a young man's sport. When you reach my age you will understand more about that. But the thing I fear more than the greying of our ranks is the overall apathy of youngsters toward the sport. Coon hunting is demanding and I fear this generation and those following will not have that fire in their bellies to press on considering the challenges they will face. I know there are those who will say "no way" but will there be enough of you to provide a living for all the peripheral elements that support the sport? I hope so.

Old Post 07-14-2015 11:01 PM
Steve Fielder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Fielder Visit Steve Fielder's homepage! Find more posts by Steve Fielder Add Steve Fielder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Flint
When you go to the Voting Booth you can change this!

I doubt it...there are so many communist liberal democrats in this country that if every normal citizen could vote four times we still cannot outnumber them....mexico sends us more each day...the ones that are already in existence breed like flies and live to be 150 since they don't have to work...we cant get rid of them, they now run things.
I will vote anyway, but I really feel like it is but a fervent prayer.
In 15 years at the rate we are going they will probably outlaw feeding dogs dry food and not keeping them in an air conditioned "living space."

Old Post 07-14-2015 11:32 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Fielder
I'm usually a "the glass is half full" kind of guy but I may come across as being negative here. Age brings humility and to a degree, wisdom. I'm 68 years old. I have enjoyed being smack dab in the middle of the glory years of this sport when the two main coon hunting magazines had more than 60 thousand subscribers combined, RQEs and state hunts averaged upwards of 100 dogs and local hunts closer to 30. A record of 100 dogs was required to apply for a Purina event. There's no doubt interest in the sport is in decline but why? Attrition is one thing. This is a young man's sport. When you reach my age you will understand more about that. But the thing I fear more than the greying of our ranks is the overall apathy of youngsters toward the sport. Coon hunting is demanding and I fear this generation and those following will not have that fire in their bellies to press on considering the challenges they will face. I know there are those who will say "no way" but will there be enough of you to provide a living for all the peripheral elements that support the sport? I hope so.

I've always found Steve to be extremely wise. I have to agree and disagree at the same time on this. The generation that is going to have to carry on this sport is certainly lacking the fire but we have a lot more coonhunters in our ranks then any of us will ever know. I meet them all the time. I had a guy call to get a light and when he gave me his address he lived right around the corner from me. I had never met him and he had been hunting for years. We have a habit of judging how well our sport is doing by hunt turnouts and that is a mistake. I dont really think its dying like everyone else. What is happening is we have to many registries and to many hunts. It has spread us to thin.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-15-2015 03:09 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

Thinking the other day it would be interesting to know how many garmins have been sold, it would be a pretty good indicator. Most hunters have one,some folks have 2 and some have none but on average you could make a pretty educated guess about how many guys are still following hounds.

Old Post 07-15-2015 04:09 AM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer
Thinking the other day it would be interesting to know how many garmins have been sold, it would be a pretty good indicator. Most hunters have one,some folks have 2 and some have none but on average you could make a pretty educated guess about how many guys are still following hounds.

I don't think it would even be close John. There are tons of guys around here that still don't even have a tracking system much less a Garmin. There are still guys that think a 6 volt night light is the best you can get. You might think I'm kidding but I'm not. These guys are everywhere they just don't come to the hunts. They might not be die hards that hunt every night but they still coon hunt. They are probably having more fun then we are.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-15-2015 04:26 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by joey
I don't think it would even be close John. There are tons of guys around here that still don't even have a tracking system much less a Garmin. There are still guys that think a 6 volt night light is the best you can get. You might think I'm kidding but I'm not. These guys are everywhere they just don't come to the hunts. They might not be die hards that hunt every night but they still coon hunt. They are probably having more fun then we are.

I have to agree with this...there are a lot of guys around here that don't even have a shock collar, much less tracking. I don't know if they have more fun...all their dogs run deer. Most of their truck boxes are home made out of plywood. They don't ever get their dogs shots or go to a vet...the dog either makes it or he don't.
I really don't know if there is a good indicator of just how many coonhunters or houndsmen there are, but I do agree it aint the attendance at hunts.

Old Post 07-15-2015 04:53 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote