UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Handling a treed dog
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, I bet that you are a real pleasure to draw out with in a nite hunt.

You got to know the rules if you are a moh so there are no surprises. My competition days are all but over but when I did I was the one standing over there by myself running rules and scenarios through my head the whole hunt I knew what I needed when I needed it. There is always at least one opening to win if you pay attention.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-05-2019 03:32 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
..... There is always at least one opening to win if you pay attention.
Tar

Are you talking about your dog treeing a coon when you say "one opening"?

Old Post 11-05-2019 03:46 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Are you talking about your dog treeing a coon when you say "one opening"?

Not to put myself in their league. But all the top handlers know the rules and the loopholes in them. Most know how to grab 25+ here 25+ there and quietly stay just ahead of the cast for the win. Many times I didn’t have the best dog in the cast but by keeping my head in the game I won.

Tar

Old Post 11-05-2019 04:08 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I don't have to put you in their league. You have done that. Many times I have had the best dog but got beat so I know that I am not in your league. I just muddle along, have fun and hope my dog trees an extra coon so that he/she can win.

Old Post 11-05-2019 04:58 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
I don't have to put you in their league. You have done that. Many times I have had the best dog but got beat so I know that I am not in your league. I just muddle along, have fun and hope my dog trees an extra coon so that he/she can win.

I am lost for words.

Tar

Old Post 11-05-2019 05:19 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Rules committee

I think they should have put you two on the rules committee and sold tickets. Would be like a cross between family feud and Jerry Springer. So what's the end verdict, who gets handled and recut first?

Old Post 11-05-2019 08:53 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Have to scratch both you guys for arguing!! Lol 😂

Old Post 11-05-2019 09:57 PM
2ol2hunt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rules committee

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
I think they should have put you two on the rules committee and sold tickets. Would be like a cross between family feud and Jerry Springer. So what's the end verdict, who gets handled and recut first?

To my knowledge you have to score in order unless timeout is called. Which you can go in any order that's easiest on the cast. And I believe it'll be the same way in 2020.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-05-2019 10:18 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I love to argue with Richard lol.

Tarbaby

Old Post 11-06-2019 02:01 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Arguing and winning against Mr. Lambert is not something to crow about, he has a handicap it's called redbone fevor, you keep on messing with him and you may just catch it too. Lol. Dave

Old Post 11-06-2019 05:51 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

This is a good subject and one that needs some discussion, especially with all the deep and lonely dogs split treed in all directions these days. First it's important to realize it takes a majority of the cast to award plus or minus points at a tree, not the majority of the handlers present! I learned this the hard way some years back when we let 1 guy go handle his dog and stay with it while the other 3 of us went to score another dog. That dog was carrying 225+ and had 225 riding on his current tree. The tree was as obvious slick as it gets, but the dog's handler just absolutely refused to vote to minus his dog and put a question on the card. MOH told us we didn't have a majority vote to minus the tree, and it takes a true majority, not the majority of the handlers present. I had never thought of it that way before that. So then there is the obvious problem of handlers going to handle dogs a half mile away then return to the others treed. This hardly makes any sense usually and though I know it's wrong, I'm usually the first guy to say, hey can I just stay at my dogs tree when I get there and this is what usually happens, leaving the rest of the cast having to vote unanamiously to score another tree. In most cases this works out ok, but not always! Of course you also have the guys that try to shame you into just going ahead and scoring the other dogs before walking to your tree saying your dog isn't much good anyway if it won't stay a half hour and though there is some truth in that, and that also usually works out too, the truth of the matter is you open your dogs up to all types of possible difficult potential problems when you do that-what if it's treed in a dangerous location, what if it gets hot and slows down its barking? A handled dog isn't subject to the 2 minutes, but a non handled dog is even if it's been treed an hour! Also what if you go into an area you can't hear them any longer while going to score the other dogs? Is the judge going to stop and put the 2 on him-you bet he is! So it's just smart to handle that dog when the 5 is up or everyone else is treed, but then what? I don't know the best approach to then what, but it's a good topic to look at.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 11-06-2019 02:05 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I just found out in the scenario first stated if my dog is split that deep score the dog treed first and wait and tree mine when I can go to him.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 11-06-2019 at 03:33 PM

Old Post 11-06-2019 02:30 PM