UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Satisfied
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Satisfied

How many are so satisfied with the dog/dogs you have that you aren't looking for another dog. I'm guilty of always looking for that perfect dog.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-03-2019 06:45 PM
Preacher Tom is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

ohohohoh!

Old Post 10-03-2019 06:53 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

I have seen a few of those suppose top dogs. keep what I have.

Old Post 10-03-2019 06:55 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
I have seen a few of those suppose top dogs. keep what I have.

I've been saying for years if you think that you have sorry dogs, go hunting with other people's dogs. Mine don't usually seem so sorry anymore.

BUT, I'm always looking for a better dog to feed.

Old Post 10-03-2019 07:26 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

If you are not careful looking for the next one will become a habit that's hard to break!

Old Post 10-03-2019 08:15 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

In the past have always been looking at dogs for sale or up coming crosses. But I like what I have know 3 yr old male that suits me really well. And 13 month female that I'm really liking. Dont hardly every look at dogs for sale anymore.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 10-03-2019 08:40 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Well i will go 6 months happy with what I've got then I see an ad and get to dreaming.

Old Post 10-03-2019 09:22 PM
Preacher Tom is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I don’t compete much anymore so the rules when I am hunting never cross my mind. But producing game and the speed they do it does. I am satisfied with what I have I can go 1 night a week or 1 night every 2 weeks or 3 nights a week and if I put them in coons they tree them. And I don’t have to correct them or get on to them to get them to do it. And if I go to a hunt I win my fair share.

Just good ole country coon dogs.

Tar

Old Post 10-03-2019 09:48 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Preacher Tom

I think it's just human nature to want more and better than what we already have. Saying that, what really spoils us is when we get that really special dog and see what a real coondog is night in and night out. I pay no attention to any ad , but I am looking for something that would not be for sale even if they have one. My advise to you would be to hunt what you have and look for the good points they have, tolerating the faults you can tolerate and trying to fix the faults you just can't tolerate. Remember that someone can write anything in a ad about a dog, true or false, not everyone has the same measuring stick. Some think a dog is really good and I would only rate the dog as fair at best. Dave

Old Post 10-03-2019 09:56 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I don’t compete much anymore so the rules when I am hunting never cross my mind. But producing game and the speed they do it does. I am satisfied with what I have I can go 1 night a week or 1 night every 2 weeks or 3 nights a week and if I put them in coons they tree them. And I don’t have to correct them or get on to them to get them to do it. And if I go to a hunt I win my fair share.

Just good ole country coon dogs.

Tar

Tar, I only pleasure hunt and my dogs tree coon consistently but I see every fault they have and can't help but think there is one somewhere that doesn't have any faults. I know that's nonsense but can't seem to help myself.

Old Post 10-03-2019 09:59 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Tom when I learned to leave the stop watch and rule book at home and start judging them with the 22 and eyes in their trees I found out I enjoyed my dogs more.

Just think when we were young and it was a surprise to see a coon up that tree you was so happy you got sombody to take a picture of it. Or the feeling of your first 4 ft tall trophy I still got those pictures and they still make me smile.

Tar

Old Post 10-03-2019 10:16 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Good friend told me one time if your dog makes you happy 75% of the time you've got a really nice dog.

Old Post 10-03-2019 10:25 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom

My father in law was a very good dog trainer, he loved starting pups and watching them progress. He always told me that a trained dog would disappoint you at some time. He said that you expected a trained dog to do it right every time and that just does not happen with most dogs. With a pup, you are excited with them when they tree their first coon alone, but when they can do it really good, you start expecting them to do everything right, setting yourself up for disappointment when they fail. I have always wanted to hunt a trained dog, just did not want to hunt pups, probably missed out on seeing them progress from nothing to a trained dog, my loss! Yet, as he said to me, I have at some time been disappointed in every trained dog I ever owned. The better they are the more disappointed you will be when they mess up. It's like you get to thinking they are perfect and just like a man, we know they are not any that's perfect. I will take as you said, a dog that pleases me the majority of the time. Dave

Old Post 10-03-2019 11:17 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H DOG
UKC Forum Member

Last edited by H DOG on 10-04-2019 at 01:24 PM

Old Post 10-03-2019 11:30 PM
H DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H DOG Click here to Send H DOG a Private Message Find more posts by H DOG Add H DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H DOG
UKC Forum Member

Last edited by H DOG on 10-04-2019 at 01:25 PM

Old Post 10-03-2019 11:32 PM
H DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H DOG Click here to Send H DOG a Private Message Find more posts by H DOG Add H DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I'm always looking, training, breeding, buying, selling or something.
Satisfied! Yes to some extent you can say I am satisfied with some of the dogs I have now or even with some I have had in the past. It's an ever changing world and nothing ever remains the same.

Old Post 10-04-2019 12:16 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tom

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
My father in law was a very good dog trainer, he loved starting pups and watching them progress. He always told me that a trained dog would disappoint you at some time. He said that you expected a trained dog to do it right every time and that just does not happen with most dogs. With a pup, you are excited with them when they tree their first coon alone, but when they can do it really good, you start expecting them to do everything right, setting yourself up for disappointment when they fail. I have always wanted to hunt a trained dog, just did not want to hunt pups, probably missed out on seeing them progress from nothing to a trained dog, my loss! Yet, as he said to me, I have at some time been disappointed in every trained dog I ever owned. The better they are the more disappointed you will be when they mess up. It's like you get to thinking they are perfect and just like a man, we know they are not any that's perfect. I will take as you said, a dog that pleases me the majority of the time. Dave

I am always looking to improve...having said that I also say great dogs don’t have bad days but they can have better days...

When I say great dogs don’t have bad days...it’s because I am making the comparison between that particular dog against what I know what the average hunter hunts...on a good dogs worst day is probably better than the average dogs good day...and I also will add that there is no such thing as perfection when it comes to humans and dogs...I factor that in...and that is why I say...great dogs don’t have bad days...but they can have better days...I try to keep it real...at least that is my reality...

Old Post 10-04-2019 12:38 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

No 2 hounds are the same. No perfect one exists. Life is to short to put up with a junk hound and it's also to short to constantly be looking for that which is impossible, the perfect hound. How many of you have sold a really good hound only to find out you're having a hard time to find one at least as good as what you sold? If hounds were capable of reasoning and talking I wonder how many really good hounds would be looking for a worthy owner?

I've gotten to the point that I can enjoy a good hound that performs well on a consistent basis, showing me the game I'm after and is an enjoyable presence at home when we're not hunting.

It's a darn good thing our hounds aren't as fussy about who owns them as we are about their performance. Many of us would be houndless! LOL!!

Old Post 10-04-2019 12:43 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Pretty good to really good dogs are not that uncommon but great ones are extremely rare.

Old Post 10-04-2019 12:45 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Pretty good to really good dogs are not that uncommon but great ones are extremely rare.

Tom if you or me had a great one it would cost a small fortune to get sombody young enough to campaign it. And I would be homesick for my recliner lol.

Tar

Old Post 10-04-2019 12:52 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Reuben

You are right in a lot of ways, great dogs don't have many bad days, but do have days when they aren't so great. Yes, those days are most likely better than an average dogs best days. I know that I have bad days or days when I am not at my best, and so do all dogs. I have found that the better the dog the greater our expectations become and no dog can live up to that kind of standard every day. I am more disappointed with what I consider to be a really good dog that messes up than when an average dog messes up. Call it ego, we just expect more the better the dog. Same can be Said for a great athlete, the better they are the more we expect, when they fail at something the disappointment is greater due to our expectations. We let our egos put a great burden on the really good dogs that no dog can hold up to every day or night. True, a great dogs bad day is better than an average dog best day, but still disappoints us when they do something we don't expect. The best dogs are just dogs and the best athletes are just human. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 10-04-2019 at 12:58 AM

Old Post 10-04-2019 12:55 AM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Tom if you or me had a great one it would cost a small fortune to get sombody young enough to campaign it. And I would be homesick for my recliner lol.

Tar

Tar you are right. The one complaint that I have on my current dog is sometimes he doesn't hunt hard enough which is probably perfect for a 70 year old, lol.

Old Post 10-04-2019 12:59 AM
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Its taken me all of my 40 years to adjust to mediocrity, or become satisfied. These days, I've got a satisfying job, truck, dogs, and life in general- and that's good enough.
I way outkicked my coverage on my family, and above average in that department is pretty satisfying too.
Coming to the realization that good enough is good enough in the dog department has allowed me to dedictate to some things that are way, way more important. It keeps me from chasing perfection, but it also keeps me dialed in on the real stuff.

Old Post 10-04-2019 01:54 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
I've been saying for years if you think that you have sorry dogs, go hunting with other people's dogs. Mine don't usually seem so sorry anymore.

BUT, I'm always looking for a better dog to feed.

X2 I don't hunt with many dogs that impress me. Bits and pieces but very few complete packages

Old Post 10-04-2019 01:57 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
Its taken me all of my 40 years to adjust to mediocrity, or become satisfied. These days, I've got a satisfying job, truck, dogs, and life in general- and that's good enough.
I way outkicked my coverage on my family, and above average in that department is pretty satisfying too.
Coming to the realization that good enough is good enough in the dog department has allowed me to dedictate to some things that are way, way more important. It keeps me from chasing perfection, but it also keeps me dialed in on the real stuff.

That’s where I am at the dogs are a hobby not a priority.

Tar

Old Post 10-04-2019 02:20 AM