UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Mice in the woods this year?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Mice in the woods this year?

You all noticing an over abundance of the white footed deer mice in your areas this year? I am seeing 2-3 every night I hunt while walking into or out of the woods..

Never recall seeing this many ever before, but maybe I was just in too big of a hurry back in the day.. If it's a positive trend, i hope the rabbits catch it!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-10-2019 01:51 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Not seen any

Old Post 12-10-2019 03:03 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mice in the woods this year?

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
You all noticing an over abundance of the white footed deer mice in your areas this year? I am seeing 2-3 every night I hunt while walking into or out of the woods..

Never recall seeing this many ever before, but maybe I was just in too big of a hurry back in the day.. If it's a positive trend, i hope the rabbits catch it!!

Your coyote numbers must be down this year.

Old Post 12-10-2019 03:11 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

It's because no one is shooting them out to their dogs that are treeing "slick".

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 12-10-2019 06:26 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Shadinc, coyote numbers are pretty consistent the last few years.. Not way up, not way down, just kind of floating.. Still plenty of Hawks and Owls in the woods it appears..

Toad Hill - I don't think there is a correlation there, but hey..... My dog was trying to catch one the other night while I was skinning a coon with him leashed up near by..

I hunt extreme Northern IN and Southern lower MI - see the mice in both locations and they all appear to be the white footed deer mice..

Just an oddball observation...

Old Post 12-11-2019 01:51 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Larry , my comment was partly for a good laugh lol ...
BUUUUT there is ALOT more of that going on than most guys realize

----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

Old Post 12-11-2019 02:17 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Toad Hill

Lol. I suspect that you are right, flying squirrels, mice, even regular squirrels are a lot of the "slick" tree problems. Dave

Old Post 12-11-2019 03:56 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Interesting thought on that Toad Hill and Dave..

While I understand completely the correlation between flying squirrels, fox/gray squirrels and slick trees.. Never considered a dog might tree a mouse.. Interesting..

I started the dog I'm hunting now on squirrels and finally, finally believe I have him about broke off of them at 2 3/4 years of age.. Been a struggle. Have treed numerous squirrels at night that i've seen with him, particularly on moon lit bright nights.. His first ever split tree he had a fox squirrel separate from an old dog on a slick.. LOL - i figured he followed the squirrel out .

He's also treed two weasels, a mink and bayed up another mink in a brush pile.. Guess a mouse is possible.. dang, a bit overgunned for that

Old Post 12-11-2019 04:15 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Larry

Back in the day before we had all of this tree power in our dogs, we had a problem with dogs sometimes treeing "slick". We knew what they were doing, it was mostly flying squirrels or squirrels in general. We had to break them off squirrels just like deer or fox and that solved the "slick" tree problems. I won't say all slick trees are squirrels, mice, mink, etc., but a lot of slicks are things like that. Dave

Old Post 12-11-2019 04:27 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

"Some" "CLAIM" that a mouse will put off as much scent as a coon . not saying i fully agree with that BUT deep in the winter when huntin gets tough , those tough nights esp if coon arent moving good alot of the high geared get wooded action packed type dogs we are huntin these days will still get "Treed" . I have seen it multiple times and even seen em bay em in a log.

-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified

Last edited by Toad Hill on 12-11-2019 at 05:06 PM

Old Post 12-11-2019 05:01 PM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

The things you learn on the internet.. LOL

interesting conversation gents.. Thanks

Old Post 12-11-2019 05:28 PM
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

I'm Amused as well thanks for entertainment

-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified

Old Post 12-11-2019 05:47 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Larry/Toad Hill

Flying squirrels are nocturnal and are active at night, I have no doubts that a lot of these slicks are flying squirrels, especially on moonlit nights where the dogs see them. Dave

Old Post 12-11-2019 06:11 PM
critter
UKC Forum Member

something?

I seem to be seeing more mice than i normally see,blaming it on our higher powered lights.like a buddy of mine says,pluses and minuses lol.I did see something the other nite while hunting my young female alone for the first time.Didnt pay much attention to what it was ,just figured it was a mouse or a chipmunk.Actually,it was her best job of treeing to date.Whatever it was it was running up and down the small tree very rapidly.Thinking more about it now it really looked like a young weasel.Anyway,pluses and minuses,she did a good job lol.

Old Post 12-11-2019 06:13 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

In all honesty I was on a cast 1 night at the pkc world hunt and saw 2 dogs get treed on a mouse. The handlers couldn't help but laugh about it.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-11-2019 08:08 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

lots of white footed mice mean there are lots of acorns. then lots of ticks because they are big carrier. . its a cycle till they die off.

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 12-11-2019 09:26 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Well we certainly had the ticks this year. I can certainly believe that. Thanks.

Old Post 12-11-2019 09:47 PM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Eric, I would have liked to have seen that. Lordy. The things these dogs do.

Old Post 12-11-2019 09:49 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Larry

You need more possums, they eat ticks. Lol. Dave

Old Post 12-11-2019 10:24 PM
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Treeing Mice

The dog I have now is 5 years old. When he was about 1.5 he started to tree “slicks” on smaller sized trees. After a couple nights I realized there was always a mouse in the tree. I really do think he was treeing mice. Haven’t had him do it in a long time. Probably start that back up now that I’ve said he hasn’t done it in awhile. That’s the way it goes.

Old Post 12-12-2019 12:26 AM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

We have the possums up here, they have to be extremely healthy from the tick diet!!.. Not uncommon to see 2-3 some nights crossing the roads and in the woods while hunting.. Thank God, I've not treed any this kill season yet and only one in the summer..

I'd sooner have a slick tree than a dadgum possum

Old Post 12-12-2019 02:46 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Larry

When I was a young boy growing up in these mountains, everyone that hunted at night said they were possum hunting. We did not have many coons back then and treeing possums was fun. Now that we have more coons in these parts, no one wants to tree a possum, times have changed, I can't remember the last time any of my dogs treed a possum. Lol. Dave

Old Post 12-12-2019 06:09 PM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

My first nights in the woods with my cousins behind a redbone coonhound named Lead were possum hunts..

Allegedly old Lead was a coonhound, but he never proved it to us.. But he was fierce on possums and we shot out every one to him or shook them out.

Would have been about 1975/6 as I recall.. Great memories

Old Post 12-12-2019 07:50 PM
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
My first nights in the woods with my cousins behind a redbone coonhound named Lead were possum hunts..

Allegedly old Lead was a coonhound, but he never proved it to us.. But he was fierce on possums and we shot out every one to him or shook them out.

Would have been about 1975/6 as I recall.. Great memories

A boy and his dog. I bet ol' Lead loved it as much as you boys did. Did you skin and sell them?

Old Post 12-12-2019 08:44 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Todd/ Ukc

Lol. We skinned many possums as young boys, possum hide brought more money then than coon hides bring these days. We thought we were the stuff, possums were thick back then, could tree 8 to 10 every night. Lol. Dave

Old Post 12-13-2019 01:38 AM