UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Training question???
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
englishpride
UKC Forum Member

Training question???

Got a gyp well over a year old.she will run will tree and will split and hold pressure.problem is she wants to be walk hunted,any suggestions on how to make her go?doesn't matter if you take her with another dog or what she still wants to be walk hunted.usually when I'm walking to a tree and she is with me she will then hit a track a go tree it.both sire and dam are known as deep hunters just curious if any tricks or tips on getting her to go.

Nite ch Englishprides Carolina Jasmine
Bobby Williams-803-669-7443

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-18-2017 03:59 PM
englishpride is offline Click Here to See the Profile for englishpride Click here to Send englishpride a Private Message Click Here to Email englishpride Find more posts by englishpride Add englishpride to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Topofthehill
UKC Forum Member

Dog not hunting

Take her by herself drive back off the road cut her out and then get in the truck and just leave her out. She will get bored after a period of time and wonder off then just keep doing the same thing. I have had real good luck doing this but you have to be willing to spend a lot of time at one spot and be patient.Sometimes it happens quick and other times you have to do it for a couple weeks.

Old Post 01-18-2017 04:34 PM
Topofthehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Topofthehill Click here to Send Topofthehill a Private Message Find more posts by Topofthehill Add Topofthehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
englishpride
UKC Forum Member

Thanks will try that..anymore suggestions?

Old Post 01-19-2017 03:09 PM
englishpride is offline Click Here to See the Profile for englishpride Click here to Send englishpride a Private Message Click Here to Email englishpride Find more posts by englishpride Add englishpride to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
snaggles
UKC Forum Member

just sit on u a log with ur light off and ignore the dog take ya a knap if ya have to. eventually the dog will plunder an hopefully get on a track an learn that if it goes it will find track an get rewarded. don't walk hunt it anymore

Old Post 01-19-2017 03:12 PM
snaggles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for snaggles Click here to Send snaggles a Private Message Click Here to Email snaggles Find more posts by snaggles Add snaggles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

yep

Sounds like your dog is lacking energy or the desire to go hunting! for what ever reason!! some just have that natural ability to rather they are doing anything or not!! sounds like she lacks that get in the dark ability!! really no magic cure!! just keep putting her out there!! Just curious tho!! you start this dog or you get her this way!!???????

Old Post 01-19-2017 04:12 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
englishpride
UKC Forum Member

Born and raised at my house.I have owned her ,her sire ,dam ,grandma,grandpa,brothers and cousins.all go getters.wish I had a farm to cut her loose on and let her roam but I do not.

Old Post 01-19-2017 04:47 PM
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Not much more irritating than taking a dog hunting that won't get out of your sight. If it were me and I had the ability to do so I would leave that dog loose at my house as much as I could til I found out that it was leaving.

Any dog I ever had that I took hunting enough to make a decent dog didn't need walked once it started treeing coon. I have no issue taking a young dog on a walk to get it going, but eventually it just has to get going at least a little.

I have 2 8 months old here out of the same litter I took for a walk Saturday afternoon. 1 of them was standing my side when my phone rang that the other one was picked up off the major interstate 400 yards away...

Guess which one will get hunted first and more??

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 01-19-2017 05:42 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by snaggles
just sit on u a log with ur light off and ignore the dog take ya a knap if ya have to. eventually the dog will plunder an hopefully get on a track an learn that if it goes it will find track an get rewarded. don't walk hunt it anymore

X2

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 01-20-2017 12:40 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
englishpride
UKC Forum Member

Thanks all of you.I've been doing this for almost 20 years and i have learned your never to old to take advise.especially when you have no clue on how to fix a problem,and I also wanna thank you guys for not responding with some smart answer that try to make someone feel small for not knowing.I will surely try what yall are saying.I always hated to give up on a dog without exhausting every possibility.I try to approach it as if it's a child and they all learn at different paces and different approaches.

Old Post 01-20-2017 03:19 AM
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Even if she never starts hunting deep, don't permanently cull her. Some of us like to walk hunt. If she was a Cur or a Plott, I would be trying to get your phone number.

Old Post 01-20-2017 03:39 AM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote