UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > Does Anybody?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

Does Anybody?

Does anybody hunt with Bassett Hounds or Bassett/Beagle crosses? I'd like to get in touch with somebody that breeds a slower type gun dog. I grew up with a slower pack of beagles that didn't push a rabbit hard and always had great luck with younger hunters getting good safe shots. I've been out of this game for awhile now, but I need to get myself and my dad back in it. Any help is appreciated.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-29-2016 03:28 AM
Preston Chadwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preston Chadwell Click here to Send Preston Chadwell a Private Message Click Here to Email Preston Chadwell Find more posts by Preston Chadwell Add Preston Chadwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjd
UKC Forum Member

Buckshot101 over on the american beagler forum used to run bassets,if coondawgs. Com is still up he runs that site

Old Post 12-29-2016 04:30 AM
mjd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjd Click here to Send mjd a Private Message Click Here to Email mjd Find more posts by mjd Add mjd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

The best one day performance I ever saw out of a rabbit dog was from a basset / beagle cross. We ran two hunting beagle champions against that little dog running hare up north and going into it, I didn't think he would even be able to run with our dogs. When the smoke cleared, to say I was impressed is an understatement. I'll never forget that dog. I wrote a full story about it in Better Beagling. We need to reprint that.

Old Post 12-29-2016 01:40 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

I always liked a Bassett/Beagle cross for a gun dog. Their ears got tore up more than a Beagle, but they could get through brush better than a full Basset. I'll have to try to get in touch with Buckshot101. I know what a good gun dog is and I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for. That's why I got into coonhunting, couldn't find anymore beagles I liked when my pack died, way way way too fast for me. The rabbits looked like a blurr when the pack smoked 'em by me, and it made for a tough time getting good shots down a 6 foot wide road in a briar patch.

Old Post 12-29-2016 09:43 PM
Preston Chadwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preston Chadwell Click here to Send Preston Chadwell a Private Message Click Here to Email Preston Chadwell Find more posts by Preston Chadwell Add Preston Chadwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thornie
UKC Forum Member

Here's a good video and Todd hope you enjoy it, no antlers in this one. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU3...p;feature=share

Old Post 01-01-2017 11:15 AM
thornie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thornie Click here to Send thornie a Private Message Click Here to Email thornie Find more posts by thornie Add thornie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Kerns
UKC Forum Member

Thornie, I don't know about anyone else but enjoyed that video. Thanks for sharing.

Old Post 01-05-2017 05:26 PM
Chuck Kerns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Kerns Click here to Send Chuck Kerns a Private Message Click Here to Email Chuck Kerns Find more posts by Chuck Kerns Add Chuck Kerns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote