UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > BIG BIG News!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Krystal / UKC

BIG BIG News!

We're making huge changes here at UKC! Thanks to the help of Joe Newlin and Allen Rosenbarger. This change still has a lot of work to undergo, but for now I think you guys will be pleased!

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/News...2282016090452AM

Last edited by Krystal / UKC on 12-28-2016 at 08:00 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-28-2016 02:18 PM
Krystal / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Krystal / UKC Click here to Send Krystal / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Krystal / UKC Find more posts by Krystal / UKC Add Krystal / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Thank you Krystal and the rest of the UKC team for hearing us, and for being responsive.... Big things coming.....

Old Post 12-28-2016 02:49 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Littletown
UKC Forum Member

Krystal,

I clicked on your link but got a "404" error code (file not found).

Just to let you know.

Old Post 12-28-2016 07:22 PM
Littletown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Littletown Click here to Send Littletown a Private Message Click Here to Email Littletown Find more posts by Littletown Add Littletown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Me too now...it worked earlier....

Old Post 12-28-2016 07:24 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Here is the link!

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/News...2282016090452AM

Old Post 12-28-2016 07:27 PM
Littletown
UKC Forum Member

Thanks, Oak Ridge !! This one works

Old Post 12-28-2016 07:46 PM
Littletown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Littletown Click here to Send Littletown a Private Message Click Here to Email Littletown Find more posts by Littletown Add Littletown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Krystal / UKC

Who would have thought Joe would be more internet savy than myself? haha Sorry guys! They re-formatted the page earlier and I didn't think to fix the link. I will edit it now!

Old Post 12-28-2016 07:59 PM
Krystal / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Krystal / UKC Click here to Send Krystal / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Krystal / UKC Find more posts by Krystal / UKC Add Krystal / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

I guess I have to be the wet blanket. Why??? Is it because of the difference in sizes? If so, all the coonhound events will require separation. You see everything from about 30 pounds up to the 90's there. Far more difference than most feists and curs. Not to mention if you cross the 2; you won't know how to register them until the pups grow up so you can determine weight.

Old Post 12-29-2016 12:26 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigpoppy
UKC Forum Member

Looks like we better split up all the hounds in each hunt also. Wouldn't want a bluetick to have to hunt with a walker. The only reason people want them split up is one of two reasons, they're either scared or plain and simple can't compete with the big dogs. What a joke! And another step backwards for the squirrel dog world.

Joe Levan

Old Post 12-29-2016 01:35 AM
Bigpoppy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bigpoppy Click here to Send Bigpoppy a Private Message Click Here to Email Bigpoppy Find more posts by Bigpoppy Add Bigpoppy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

I can see where you might want to hold a breed hunt but especially a world hunt should be a "Take on All Comers" type deal. Otherwise..why bother? You should earn the right to be called Champion. It cheapens it in my opinion.

Old Post 12-29-2016 02:40 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigpoppy
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Clif Owen
I can see where you might want to hold a breed hunt but especially a world hunt should be a "Take on All Comers" type deal. Otherwise..why bother? You should earn the right to be called Champion. It cheapens it in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly! Very shameful for the squirrel dog world and two steps backwards in my opinion. Lots of feist breeders have been breeding for a dog that can compete with anything and splitting them up shoots everything in the foot that they've been trying to gain. You all think this will better your attendance at the bigger hunts but for me personally you have just ruined it. Was planning on attending some but no longer.

Joe Levan

Old Post 12-29-2016 07:40 AM
Bigpoppy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bigpoppy Click here to Send Bigpoppy a Private Message Click Here to Email Bigpoppy Find more posts by Bigpoppy Add Bigpoppy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I guess I have to be the wet blanket. Why??? Is it because of the difference in sizes? If so, all the coonhound events will require separation. You see everything from about 30 pounds up to the 90's there. Far more difference than most feists and curs. Not to mention if you cross the 2; you won't know how to register them until the pups grow up so you can determine weight.

Okay guys, I was waiting on this very question....so, first off thanks for asking....

The primary driver that lead to this decision was not about "size". We can't ignore the size difference between an 8 pound Mountain Feist and a 65 pound "treeing cur"....that much is for sure. And there is NO doubt at all that the size difference was keeping people from attending and supporting UKC events. We found this to be true when the ability of a club to schedule feist only or cur only hunts....the feist guys came out in droves when they could compete with dogs of their own size and type. So while I understand and appreciate your position about breeders working to "compete with anything"....the history of the World Hunt, and the history of attendance and participation in UKC events with feist tells a different story. I would not be surprised to have more feist at the world hunt this year than cur dogs....but the split will most likely DOUBLE the attendance at the World Hunt at least....

Let's look at the groupings of the two dogs.... The cur is grouped in the "scenthound" group. This grouping tells us that one of the foundations of the Curs is that they are expected to use scent as a primary tool when hunting. The feist on the other hand are grouped in the terrier group. By design, these breeds are expected to primarily use eyes and ears to locate game.

Now, the reality is that Curs are known to be "big hunters", while most feist owners walk hunt their dogs.... The simple fact is that while they are both squirrel dogs, they are different breeds, they go about getting the job done in different manners. They may have different desires and different rules because of these differences.

By insisting that the two different types of dogs, the two different styles of dogs be stuffed into the same competition hunt or category because they both tree squirrels....simply was holding BOTH categories back.

These are NOT coon hounds. In my experience all of the coon hound breeds pretty much operate the same. They are free cast, go strike a track, open on the ground, locate and tree until you get there. No real difference in the way they operate, yet they are different breeds.

The beagle world is split up in much the same way....Hunting beagles, small pack beagles, large pack beagles....they don't compete against each other, yet they are all the same breed. Bird dogs are another example. You have pointers, who are expected to retrieve, retrievers who are expected to point...yet they don't hunt together...Yet it's all "bird hunting"....

While I know that there are going to be folks who think it is a bad idea, and I'm sorry that you feel that way. A lot of thought went into the decision....and a lot of different opnions were considered.

I would ask that you look at this change as a foundation change for growing the squirrel dog program. Change is difficult to accept, and sometimes difficult to understand. But change is NOT bad.... how we deal with change makes it good or bad.

Old Post 12-29-2016 03:19 PM
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bigpoppy
My thoughts exactly! Very shameful for the squirrel dog world and two steps backwards in my opinion. Lots of feist breeders have been breeding for a dog that can compete with anything and splitting them up shoots everything in the foot that they've been trying to gain. You all think this will better your attendance at the bigger hunts but for me personally you have just ruined it. Was planning on attending some but no longer.

Joe Levan

quote:
Looks like we better split up all the hounds in each hunt also. Wouldn't want a bluetick to have to hunt with a walker. The only reason people want them split up is one of two reasons, they're either scared or plain and simple can't compete with the big dogs. What a joke! And another step backwards for the squirrel dog world.

Joe Levan

Joe,
I'm sorry you feel the way you do.... What I know is this....there are feist owners all over the country that would NOT consider attending a UKC event because there was no consideration of the type and size of their dogs. They instead attended events that had a weight classification system, or formed their own organizations where they could hunt their dogs together. The AFTA (American Treeing Feist Association) didn't invite curs dogs to hunt in their hunts.... This fact alone shows that there indeed are some competing interests in the world of squirrel dogs.

This division between the curs and feists allows for growth of both legs of the program. The hope is that it will lead to increased participation, making the titles a little tougher to get, making them in fact MORE valuable or mean more. It allows for different rules between the two legs of the squirrel program....it allows for the creation of money hunts in the program, it allows for the creation of breed associations that become the overall driver of the program.

So while you see it as a detriment, it truly is an opportunity for growth, and an enabler to meet the needs of more folks out there that while they enjoy dogs, they are not just "squirrel dogs".....

Old Post 12-29-2016 03:30 PM
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Not to mention if you cross the 2; you won't know how to register them until the pups grow up so you can determine weight.

Cliff,

While making rule changes, or other decisions about how and why things work, the changes that take the longest time is registrations....or at least the WAY that dogs are registered. We are hard at work to define how dog of mixed breeding will be handled in the future.

The biggest problem is that UKC and the computer database and network that they use is designed around "purebred" dogs....and we have a situation where we have two "breeds" that are anything but "pure". Treeing feist, and Treeing Cur are not breeds, but rather the mixing of different breeds, different groups of dogs, and different uses. So hang on to your hat for some changes that are in the works, and rest assured that the folks that are working hard on the squirrel program have these questions at the forefront.....

Old Post 12-29-2016 03:38 PM
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

So...if I understand this correctly; you are dividing them based on hunting style. OK then, how do you classify a feist type dog that operates like a cur? I believe the McAndrews dogs fit this style. I think they are mostly a get gone get treed type dog.
What I really think the problem is..based on comments I've seen is that when the idea of competition squirrel hunts first came up; UKC didn't seem to be interested. Now I may be mistaken; but I think that is the issue in a bunch of cases.
That being said; I truly hope the program takes off and is highly successful. I am trying to get our state association to consider hosting a couple in addition to the NKC hunts they have. Not sure yet if the idea will fly. I do know that I will need to "study up" if they do as I'm sure it will be my deal to run.

Old Post 12-30-2016 03:01 AM
Bigpoppy
UKC Forum Member

I may be the only one that thinks this way but I believe that's what breed hunts are for. Have feists days and have cur days but any other UKC sanctioned hunt should be open to any dog registered with UKC. I've hunted all breeds and would never ask to be split up. You might draw in a few extra feist folks holding them this way but it surely isn't going to better the breed. Die hard feist breeders have been trying to better there line of feists by breeding for hunt and more stay put tree power so that they can compete at a higher level and have been doing a good job . I guess know this way they won't have to worry about it since there's gonna be hunts for them to go to filled with subpar dog's that are getting undeserved meaningless titles put on them cause they don't have to compete with anything worth feeding . Few of these remarks may sound harsh but are true.

Joe Levan

Old Post 12-30-2016 03:41 AM
Randy Wolfe
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I may be the only one that thinks this way but I believe that's what breed hunts are for. Have feists days and have cur days but any other UKC sanctioned hunt should be open to any dog registered with UKC. I've hunted all breeds and would never ask to be split up. You might draw in a few extra feist folks holding them this way but it surely isn't going to better the breed. Die hard feist breeders have been trying to better there line of feists by breeding for hunt and more stay put tree power so that they can compete at a higher level and have been doing a good job . I guess know this way they won't have to worry about it since there's gonna be hunts for them to go to filled with subpar dog's that are getting undeserved meaningless titles put on them cause they don't have to compete with anything worth feeding . Few of these remarks may sound harsh but are true.

Joe Levan

Well Put Joe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

Old Post 12-30-2016 11:57 AM
Randy Wolfe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Wolfe Click here to Send Randy Wolfe a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Wolfe Find more posts by Randy Wolfe Add Randy Wolfe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
So...if I understand this correctly; you are dividing them based on hunting style. OK then, how do you classify a feist type dog that operates like a cur? I believe the McAndrews dogs fit this style. I think they are mostly a get gone get treed type dog.
What I really think the problem is..based on comments I've seen is that when the idea of competition squirrel hunts first came up; UKC didn't seem to be interested. Now I may be mistaken; but I think that is the issue in a bunch of cases.
That being said; I truly hope the program takes off and is highly successful. I am trying to get our state association to consider hosting a couple in addition to the NKC hunts they have. Not sure yet if the idea will fly. I do know that I will need to "study up" if they do as I'm sure it will be my deal to run.

Clif,

Since I am the "Cur Advocate" in this conversation, I would say that the feist that operates as a cur would be called a "winner"

If the McAndrew's dogs are like you say, and the "Non-McAndrews" dogs are fundamentally different in the "style" then they should be able to simply outshine the competition......

A lot of the guys that own/hunt feist may think differently than I , but I'm unable to find an example of a feist winning the UKC world hunt in the "mixed" format....Just sayin

Now, let's look at the statement about UKC not caring about squirrel dog competition early on. I don't have concrete "facts" to back up my beliefs, but I have more questions...... First, who "owns" the responsibility of a successful program? Since UKC hasn't exactly been over-run with employees who own and hunt squirrel dogs....so the fact that they started a squirrel dog program in the first place tells me differently....unlike some of the newer "registries" that were formed by squirrel hunters with the sole purpose of holding events.

Secondly, there used to be a fairly successful squirrel dog program in one of UKC's competitors. PKC used to have a lot of what some folks say is "missing" in UKC, but PKC shut down it's program pretty early on for "lack of interest" on the part of squirrel hunters....

Now, having said that, I have to ask another question....was it UKC that didn't care, or was it that they simply didn't get the participation from squirrel hunters? I'm a relative newcomer, but I do know that there have been multiple attempts to grow the program. Each has been met with a "lukewarm" reception by squirrel hunters.....so I have to think that we may need to re-define what "success" is....

Because of UKC's success and industry leadership in the coon hound circles...we are all very quick to think that they should be drawing the same numbers of dogs at the hunts as the hound guys..... Man, I would love nothing more than to shadow the growth of squirrel dogs to that of hounds...but in reality, that isn't going to happen. I would truly love to be the guy that is responsible for working the deal for the Cur/Feist version of Autumn Oaks.....not likely going to happen.....

We as cur and feist owners are still struggling with questions like "what is a cur?" "how much hound is "acceptable" in a cur? "how much white can my dog have on it?", "which way should my dog's ears point?", yet we want a purebred registry to cater to our wishes as a group, when in reality almost everything that we do and/or want to do is contrary to the way breeds are recognized, and hunting programs supported in UKC.

They are truly "bending over backwards" to meet the needs and desires of both Cur and Feist owners while we figure out what we want to be when we grow up

So what can we, "the few and the proud" squirrel hunters ensure the success of BOTH programs? By showing up....by stepping up and supporting the creation of breed clubs that will represent our breed. By firing up a new squirrel hunt club and holding a few local hunts. By planning to attend Cur days or Feist Days, or a State/Regional hunt.... Quite simply by "becoming involved" at any level......

Heck, let's start by registering dogs BEFORE a hunt. Nearly every cur and feist that UKC registers is single registered the day of, or the day before a hunt.... I can speak to the Cur owners....we have multiple registries that we register our dogs....OMCBA, UMCA, NKC, NSD, USDC, WTDA, and LASTLY UKC..... Eight out of 10 cur owners don't even know how to register a dog in UKC, and don't know where to find the instructions!!!!!

So, I'm not ready to lay blame at the feet of the UKC for the success or failure of the squirrel program in the past.... And from what I'm seeing as far as commitment to their customers (us) today, I'm going to stand loud and proud and declare you won't be able to blame UKC for the success or failure in the future.....The UKC is willing to change the program, they are reaching out to the squirrel dog community, they are listening, and they are willing to make sweeping changes to meet the needs and demands of squirrel hunters.

The ball is fully in our court.....

Last edited by Oak Ridge on 12-30-2016 at 12:41 PM

Old Post 12-30-2016 12:09 PM
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Joe Levan

Joe,

I truly do respect your position. However, since I am not the advocate for the feist breeds....I don't have a horse in this race. However, I am somewhat a student of history, so let's look at the history of the participation of ANY feist in UKC events.

Now admittedly, the written history of the UKC competition squirrel hunts is pretty slim, so I had to look only at what is written.

I went all the way back to 2005, as far as the UKC Web site lists outcomes for a UKC world hunt. In that year, I could not determine IF there was a feist even entered in the hunt. However the world champion show dog was indeed a feist I read each entry from 2005 up to and including the 2018 World hunt breakdown. Some of them are indeed missing from the web site, so I'm not declaring this as 100% accurate. But the last three years of UKC world events, the average overall attendance has been 40 dogs.

Out of the "average" entry of 40 dogs, the average percentage of either of the recognized feist breeds is about 9%. Less than one dog out of ten entered has been a feist.

Then at the end of July of 2015, UKC announced a format change that allowed the feist to hunt seperate from the "big dogs" and the announcement of "breed days" hunts. The very first feist days drew 47 dogs.....already the entries in feist days was larger then the previous world hunt entry level.....In the 2016 World Hunt, the percentage of feist entries in increased to 11%. This year's feist days had 40 entries, which rivaled the world hunt this year....

So if this trend holds true, the separation of the feist from the curs will in effect DOUBLE the entries at the world hunt. That to me demonstrates that there was a "need" that was not being met.

Now, if you are leading one of those well bred feist that can "compete with anything", my suggestion to you is to saddle up, and head for Corbin KY on March 10th for the World Hunt. I would think that the simple act of winning the 1st World Feist Hunt you have the perfect opportunity to set the standard.....and by leading from the front of the pack, by showing the feist world what is available...just thinkin out loud!

Last edited by Oak Ridge on 12-30-2016 at 01:52 PM

Old Post 12-30-2016 01:49 PM
Bigpoppy
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Oak Ridge
Joe,

I truly do respect your position. However, since I am not the advocate for the feist breeds....I don't have a horse in this race. However, I am somewhat a student of history, so let's look at the history of the participation of ANY feist in UKC events.

Now admittedly, the written history of the UKC competition squirrel hunts is pretty slim, so I had to look only at what is written.

I went all the way back to 2005, as far as the UKC Web site lists outcomes for a UKC world hunt. In that year, I could not determine IF there was a feist even entered in the hunt. However the world champion show dog was indeed a feist I read each entry from 2005 up to and including the 2018 World hunt breakdown. Some of them are indeed missing from the web site, so I'm not declaring this as 100% accurate. But the last three years of UKC world events, the average overall attendance has been 40 dogs.

Out of the "average" entry of 40 dogs, the average percentage of either of the recognized feist breeds is about 9%. Less than one dog out of ten entered has been a feist.

Then at the end of July of 2015, UKC announced a format change that allowed the feist to hunt seperate from the "big dogs" and the announcement of "breed days" hunts. The very first feist days drew 47 dogs.....already the entries in feist days was larger then the previous world hunt entry level.....In the 2016 World Hunt, the percentage of feist entries in increased to 11%. This year's feist days had 40 entries, which rivaled the world hunt this year....

So if this trend holds true, the separation of the feist from the curs will in effect DOUBLE the entries at the world hunt. That to me demonstrates that there was a "need" that was not being met.

Now, if you are leading one of those well bred feist that can "compete with anything", my suggestion to you is to saddle up, and head for Corbin KY on March 10th for the World Hunt. I would think that the simple act of winning the 1st World Feist Hunt you have the perfect opportunity to set the standard.....and by leading from the front of the pack, by showing the feist world what is available...just thinkin out loud!

I've not owned a Feist in three years but even if I still did I would not drive across the street to hunt them at a hunt where they were kept seperate because basically they've been deemed inferior. There's already registrations that dogs can hunt in that's breed specific, like the atfa, omcba and such. I guess that I just think that since it's the UNITED kennel club any dog thats registered through UKC should be able to enter any ukc sanctioned event. If you wanted to hunt separate then attend a breed days hunt.

Joe Levan

Old Post 12-30-2016 03:56 PM
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I've not owned a Feist in three years but even if I still did I would not drive across the street to hunt them at a hunt where they were kept seperate because basically they've been deemed inferior. There's already registrations that dogs can hunt in that's breed specific, like the atfa, omcba and such. I guess that I just think that since it's the UNITED kennel club any dog thats registered through UKC should be able to enter any ukc sanctioned event. If you wanted to hunt separate then attend a breed days hunt.

Joe Levan

Joe,

I'm sorry that you feel that a separation of the two does nothing to indicate that one is "superior" over the other...

I can explain the thought processes that went into the long and laborious decision,and I can spout numbers, percentages, and history but I can't force individuals to like it...

I appreciate your opinion, and yes, it is valued.....but I fail to understand how you think that it puts you at risk of not hunting the type of dog that you like, in any competition that you like, in any registry you like.

Old Post 12-30-2016 06:45 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Okay guys, I was waiting on this very question....so, first off thanks for asking....

The primary driver that lead to this decision was not about "size". We can't ignore the size difference between an 8 pound Mountain Feist and a 65 pound "treeing cur"....that much is for sure. And there is NO doubt at all that the size difference was keeping people from attending and supporting UKC events. We found this to be true when the ability of a club to schedule feist only or cur only hunts....the feist guys came out in droves when they could compete with dogs of their own size and type. So while I understand and appreciate your position about breeders working to "compete with anything"....the history of the World Hunt, and the history of attendance and participation in UKC events with feist tells a different story. I would not be surprised to have more feist at the world hunt this year than cur dogs....but the split will most likely DOUBLE the attendance at the World Hunt at least....

Let's look at the groupings of the two dogs.... The cur is grouped in the "scenthound" group. This grouping tells us that one of the foundations of the Curs is that they are expected to use scent as a primary tool when hunting. The feist on the other hand are grouped in the terrier group. By design, these breeds are expected to primarily use eyes and ears to locate game.

Now, the reality is that Curs are known to be "big hunters", while most feist owners walk hunt their dogs.... The simple fact is that while they are both squirrel dogs, they are different breeds, they go about getting the job done in different manners. They may have different desires and different rules because of these differences.

By insisting that the two different types of dogs, the two different styles of dogs be stuffed into the same competition hunt or category because they both tree squirrels....simply was holding BOTH categories back.

These are NOT coon hounds. In my experience all of the coon hound breeds pretty much operate the same. They are free cast, go strike a track, open on the ground, locate and tree until you get there. No real difference in the way they operate, yet they are different breeds.

The beagle world is split up in much the same way....Hunting beagles, small pack beagles, large pack beagles....they don't compete against each other, yet they are all the same breed. Bird dogs are another example. You have pointers, who are expected to retrieve, retrievers who are expected to point...yet they don't hunt together...Yet it's all "bird hunting"....

While I know that there are going to be folks who think it is a bad idea, and I'm sorry that you feel that way. A lot of thought went into the decision....and a lot of different opnions were considered.

I would ask that you look at this change as a foundation change for growing the squirrel dog program. Change is difficult to accept, and sometimes difficult to understand. But change is NOT bad.... how we deal with change makes it good or bad.

good post and I do see it being for the better...

once upon a time I crossed the larger kemmer mt cur with the larger omcba mt cur and produce hard hunting dogs that were quick to strike and stick with the track until the hog came bayed whether it was a few minutes or many hours...these dogs had good speed, size, and good ear to them...45 to 50 pound females and 50-60 pound males...the first thing that happened is that I could not register these dogs in either registry...another thing is that nowadays too many mt curs are not bred this way...while making these changes we need a another category of mt cur...a big game mt cur which can also hunt coon...usually a coon dog can make a hog dog but a squirrel dog can be a 50-50 chance or less...why not have that category? for those that hunt bobcat, hog and or bear can have a place to look for this type of mt cur dog and or pups...the larger type mt cur is hard to beat as a hunting dog when bred right...

Old Post 12-31-2016 02:03 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
good post and I do see it being for the better...

once upon a time I crossed the larger kemmer mt cur with the larger omcba mt cur and produce hard hunting dogs that were quick to strike and stick with the track until the hog came bayed whether it was a few minutes or many hours...these dogs had good speed, size, and good ear to them...45 to 50 pound females and 50-60 pound males...the first thing that happened is that I could not register these dogs in either registry...another thing is that nowadays too many mt curs are not bred this way...while making these changes we need a another category of mt cur...a big game mt cur which can also hunt coon...usually a coon dog can make a hog dog but a squirrel dog can be a 50-50 chance or less...why not have that category? for those that hunt bobcat, hog and or bear can have a place to look for this type of mt cur dog and or pups...the larger type mt cur is hard to beat as a hunting dog when bred right...

Those dogs could certainly be registered as "treeing curs" today....problem solved.

Old Post 12-31-2016 02:52 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Big Big News!

When the Treeing cur registry first started I thought it would fly like a lead balloon...I am surprised at what has been accomplished with it...there are many good dogs out there that do well when they are a cross with good hounds...

However, I was talking about two different lines of mt curs...one was omcba and the other kemmer...I registered one as a green papered dog back in those days and then when I couldn't register the rest I just kept my own records...

There are many different strains of mt curs out there but of the type I mentioned...those are hard to find...I could breed a Nugget bred Kemmer to a big game plott and more or less get what I want...

But what would be so hard to have a big game category for mt curs? I envision a more uniform type mt cur of the bigger type...and it should be available to all the different registries to register or dual register their mt curs with UKC...also, if they are mt curs then they should be bred without any issues whether omcba, kemmer or whatever...a mt cur is a mt cur...but because they vary so much is why we should have this category...

Old Post 01-03-2017 01:00 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

OK Joe..I've had my say. Now for the real question: What can I do to help? I'm afraid that about all I have to offer is interest and 30+ years judging coonhounds. Both in the woods and on the bench. However, I am devoted to promoting tree dogs so I think the potential is there if we can uncover a way.

Old Post 01-03-2017 02:28 AM