UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Long haired feist pups?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mathman
UKC Forum Member

Long haired feist pups?

Ok, I've got a bit of a surprise from a litter of feist pups born at the beginning of December. All of them looked normal at first, but now 2 out of the 5 have long fluffy hair. How many of you have experienced this? I've talked to a few breeders and know that it's not unheard of. I'd like to hear your input. I'll see if I can post pictures of them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-06-2017 01:17 AM
Mathman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mathman Click here to Send Mathman a Private Message Click Here to Email Mathman Find more posts by Mathman Add Mathman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mathman
UKC Forum Member

Pics

Last edited by Mathman on 01-06-2017 at 02:14 AM

Old Post 01-06-2017 02:01 AM
Mathman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mathman Click here to Send Mathman a Private Message Click Here to Email Mathman Find more posts by Mathman Add Mathman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TREE 'EM
UKC Forum Member

You need to get them DNA profiled to make sure they are out of the male you believe them to be out of.

Old Post 01-06-2017 02:17 AM
TREE 'EM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TREE 'EM Click here to Send TREE 'EM a Private Message Click Here to Email TREE 'EM Visit TREE 'EM's homepage! Find more posts by TREE 'EM Add TREE 'EM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mathman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM
You need to get them DNA profiled to make sure they are out of the male you believe them to be out of.

I agree. Any idea what the cost of that is like? Thanks

Old Post 01-06-2017 02:20 AM
Bigpoppy
UKC Forum Member

What's the breeding on them? I believe the caully feists has some long haired ones pop up from time to time.

Old Post 01-06-2017 02:26 AM
Bigpoppy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bigpoppy Click here to Send Bigpoppy a Private Message Click Here to Email Bigpoppy Find more posts by Bigpoppy Add Bigpoppy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mathman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bigpoppy
What's the breeding on them? I believe the caully feists has some long haired ones pop up from time to time.

LOL...guess what sire and dam both have in their blood? Cauley...and Boggs Creek

Old Post 01-06-2017 02:30 AM
Bigpoppy
UKC Forum Member

Well there's your answer.

Joe Levan

Old Post 01-06-2017 02:38 AM
Bigpoppy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bigpoppy Click here to Send Bigpoppy a Private Message Click Here to Email Bigpoppy Find more posts by Bigpoppy Add Bigpoppy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mathman
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for the input Joe!

Old Post 01-06-2017 02:48 AM
Bigpoppy
UKC Forum Member

No problem

Old Post 01-06-2017 03:50 AM
oldman
UKC Forum Member

back in the 80's I was given a lil feist female ,similar to these wooly ones.as she matured she was long haired,not wooly.she started treeing sq.s in woods when the were about as big as her.never did know her breeding.I raised 3 litters of pups & never did get another longhair pup.it was apparently a recessive gene & when 2 recessive genes pair up is when you get the surprises.it has been my experience in breeding that the off ones seem to make better tree dogs.

Pound Va

Ph: 276-796-5321

i'm drinking from my saucer
cause my cup has overflowed

Old Post 01-12-2017 06:19 PM
oldman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldman Click here to Send oldman a Private Message Click Here to Email oldman Find more posts by oldman Add oldman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mathman
UKC Forum Member

Interesting

Thanks for the input Mr. Robinson. Because so many people have told me the long-hairs often make good ones I've decided to keep one and see how it turns out. If it makes it I'll update and add pictures to the board.

quote:
Originally posted by oldman
back in the 80's I was given a lil feist female ,similar to these wooly ones.as she matured she was long haired,not wooly.she started treeing sq.s in woods when the were about as big as her.never did know her breeding.I raised 3 litters of pups & never did get another longhair pup.it was apparently a recessive gene & when 2 recessive genes pair up is when you get the surprises.it has been my experience in breeding that the off ones seem to make better tree dogs.

Old Post 01-13-2017 01:48 PM
oldman
UKC Forum Member

personally,I think it's a throwback to the ole time farm shepherds.no proof J M O..THE OLE MTN CURS & some strains of the leopard curs would produce slighty longer hair..good luck with yours.

Pound Va

Old Post 01-13-2017 04:15 PM
oldman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldman Click here to Send oldman a Private Message Click Here to Email oldman Find more posts by oldman Add oldman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mathman
UKC Forum Member

Picture

J.T., is there any chance you have a picture of the female you had?

Old Post 01-13-2017 04:41 PM
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

I've heard the exact same thing about the Cauley dogs. Heard it from a man that was friends and hunted with Mr. Cauley.

Old Post 01-13-2017 05:45 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mathman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
I've heard the exact same thing about the Cauley dogs. Heard it from a man that was friends and hunted with Mr. Cauley.

Quick question Al. Did you mean that you heard that the Cauley dogs will sometimes have a long-hair pop up, or did you mean that the long haired ones from that line usually make good ones?

Old Post 01-13-2017 06:23 PM
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Heard both from a reliable source.

Old Post 01-14-2017 12:03 AM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mathman
UKC Forum Member

Ok, thanks for clarification

Me too... about as reliable as you can get.

Old Post 01-14-2017 03:03 AM
oldman
UKC Forum Member

Re: Picture

quote:
Originally posted by Mathman
J.T., is there any chance you have a picture of the female you had?

I do but not sure if I can post here

Pound Va

Old Post 01-14-2017 06:11 PM
oldman
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Picture

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oldman
[B]I do but not sure if I can post here [/

Pound Va

Old Post 01-14-2017 06:32 PM