UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > radio ?????
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
xtremehunting
UKC Forum Member

radio ?????

Looking for a good hand and truck radio that won't burn out my alpha 100. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-20-2016 08:25 PM
xtremehunting is offline Click Here to See the Profile for xtremehunting Click here to Send xtremehunting a Private Message Click Here to Email xtremehunting Find more posts by xtremehunting Add xtremehunting to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

Supposedly the burn out isn't a problem with the alphas and TT collars. A handhelds output will be no more than 5.5 watts which is no issue. And get a truck radio that you can lower its output when your garmins on if your worried about burn out. One with a low or mid setting around 10 watts and you should be good to go.

Easiest handheld to tx/rx mod is the Yaesu 270, good quality, 5.5 watts output. Twice the price of a China handheld but 10x the quality. Don't get a new Icom V80, they've got lock tight on the antenna nut now so you can't open them up to modify.

As far as truck radios go Ive got Icom 2200s and Icom 2300s with max 65 watt output. They need to be professional modified to transmit outside the HAM frequencies. I have a friend with a Yaesu truck radio and its good too, not sure the model.

Some electronic shops will do the TX/RX mods for you before they ship the radio.

Old Post 12-21-2016 04:02 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

More on burn out--- Run a frequencies thats far away from your Garmins frequency. I think the big issue was guys using marine radios on channels very close to garmins frequencies.

Old Post 12-21-2016 04:04 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
xtremehunting
UKC Forum Member

how do I find out what my frequency is on my alpha? sorry when it comes to these radios I don't really know anything about them.

Old Post 12-21-2016 05:41 PM
xtremehunting is offline Click Here to See the Profile for xtremehunting Click here to Send xtremehunting a Private Message Click Here to Email xtremehunting Find more posts by xtremehunting Add xtremehunting to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

Garmin used to published the list of frequencies they used online, think I can find it now. No. 156-158mhz if I remember correctly. If you are on a radio channel to close you will get a static blip that corresponds with the collar update rate (every 2.5 sec etc) if your squelch is set low on the radio.

Each collar ID number has a different frequency.

Call the guys at DU Supply they know more than me and could maybe hook you up with radios since I'm in Canada I don't know US distributors. Those guys also tested the burn out theory etc and could tell you the frequencies Garmin uses.

Old Post 12-21-2016 08:58 PM