UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > That blue dog !!
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

Tar as you already know the price tag on dogs today has more to do with who owns them than ability. I can send a $1000 dog that is green as grass but has treed a few coons to OL so and so and he can put him on the board for $2500 and sell him off the chain without a trial...beats all I ever seen...it’s still the same plug but because of who now has him he’s now worth $1500 more. I’ve never owned but a couple of really nice hounds...had a bunch that would tree a coon...I’m hard to satisfy... started hunting at 5...and at 49 still haven’t found the one I’m looking for.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-09-2020 04:23 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
violaparkinson
New UKC Forum Member

I love the blue dogs.

Old Post 07-09-2020 05:50 PM
violaparkinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for violaparkinson Click here to Send violaparkinson a Private Message Click Here to Email violaparkinson Find more posts by violaparkinson Add violaparkinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Some are way over priced. I got a 9 month old that’s a natural. I got a litter on the way if I don’t get somthing I like out of that I QUIT ! And I don’t think it will bother me that much the coondog world I remember is gone.

Good day sir.

Tar

if I had a nine month old natural I wouldn't be lookin for another hound,I've been to a few large hunts but none compare to the Texas State Championship hunt in the 80s.The good OL days are gone for sure. JesseJ

Old Post 07-09-2020 06:50 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JB Cobb
Tar as you already know the price tag on dogs today has more to do with who owns them than ability. I can send a $1000 dog that is green as grass but has treed a few coons to OL so and so and he can put him on the board for $2500 and sell him off the chain without a trial...beats all I ever seen...it’s still the same plug but because of who now has him he’s now worth $1500 more. I’ve never owned but a couple of really nice hounds...had a bunch that would tree a coon...I’m hard to satisfy... started hunting at 5...and at 49 still haven’t found the one I’m looking for.

A trusted name that knows dogs is always going to get top dollar.

Those people get top dollar because folks know what they are getting. It is like that no matter what people are selling.

Old Post 07-09-2020 09:04 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
A trusted name that knows dogs is always going to get top dollar.

Those people get top dollar because folks know what they are getting. It is like that no matter what people are selling.

Anything to me over $4,500 Is like a rich man eating caviar!!

It’s still just fish eggs.

Tar

Old Post 07-10-2020 01:55 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Anything to me over $4,500 Is like a rich man eating caviar!!

It’s still just fish eggs.

Tar

The price of dogs anymore has nothing to do with ability of the dog. More of how much a person is willing to pay for such a dog.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 07-10-2020 02:27 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Coon dog prices

Coon hunting is just a hobby for most folks, folks just enjoy hunting. Truth be told if a man counted his time in pricing a trained dog, most folks could not afford the price he would have to charge. Think about all of the time spent in training or hunting a dog from a pup to the age the dog is looking like a coon dog. How many man hours do you think it takes to get a dog to the finished coon dog stage? Four to five hours a night, 5 to 6 nights a week on average for 3 to 4 years adds up to a lot of man hours, not counting gas, wear and tear and depreciation on a hunting vehicle, equipment, dog feed, meds, shots, etc. Anybody with a brain can see just how expensive a dog would be if one only considered training a coon dog as a business deal rather than a hobby or pleasure deal. I dare say most really good dogs have over a 1000 man hours invested in them and at 10.00 [ cheap] an hour, that's 10K just in labor, not counting all the other costs. Now, luckily most folks do not count their labor, as they consider it more pleasure than work. I would not coon hunt and train dogs for anyone, they could not afford my labor costs. Who would actually coon hunt for 10.00 an hour, climbing mountains, wading swamps, fighting snakes, mosquitoes, poison vine, ticks and all the other unpleasant things associated with coon hunting. Thanks to ALL of the dedicated coon hunters that do train and sell coon dogs to THOSE of us who only want to hunt a trained dog. Look at the total picture before you complain about the price of a decent coon dog. You can always try and train one yourself and still have a coon dog price in something you just do not like. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 07-10-2020 at 03:21 AM

Old Post 07-10-2020 03:18 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Some people just have an eye for talent. I had a dog given to me in about 1986 he was digging an ole boys yard up. The best I can remember he was Finley river bred. I had a bunch of guys I hunted with that had some top dogs. I turned ole scratch loose he gets struck nothing else strikes he starts working I thought he was mouthing nothing else was opening I headed him off and corrected him. I cut him loose he just goes back on the same track only the other dogs start opening with him he took the track away from them and treed it way ahead of them. I asked the ole boy I got him off of you ever hunt that pup ? (13 months old ) He said no just cage coons. Before he was 15 months old I ntch him in 3 hunts with 3 first places. I did not want to sell my dog but a man from Palestine tx jerry Vaughn told me if I like him I will give you $2,500 cash for him. His son had a stud dog named grntch union valley skip they got struck on a running coon and went out of hearing ole scratch circled came back in hearing and was treed 10 minutes before the other dogs come back in hearing lol. That sure was a pile of money on that truck hood It was a down payment on my first home. Thank god for good dogs and rich folks to buy them lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-10-2020 03:50 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

There is good caviar and there is bad caviar. There is cheap caviar and there is expensive caviar. Some people know and can tell the difference and some can't.

Old Post 07-10-2020 12:16 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
There is good caviar and there is bad caviar. There is cheap caviar and there is expensive caviar. Some people know and can tell the difference and some can't.

Some just like to buy expensive caviar so they can tell their buddies they bought expensive caviar !!

Tar

Old Post 07-10-2020 12:42 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Some just like to buy expensive caviar so they can tell their buddies they bought expensive caviar !!

Tar

I’ve heard of it but never seen it...

Old Post 07-10-2020 01:01 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Some people just have an eye for talent. I had a dog given to me in about 1986 he was digging an ole boys yard up. The best I can remember he was Finley river bred. I had a bunch of guys I hunted with that had some top dogs. I turned ole scratch loose he gets struck nothing else strikes he starts working I thought he was mouthing nothing else was opening I headed him off and corrected him. I cut him loose he just goes back on the same track only the other dogs start opening with him he took the track away from them and treed it way ahead of them. I asked the ole boy I got him off of you ever hunt that pup ? (13 months old ) He said no just cage coons. Before he was 15 months old I ntch him in 3 hunts with 3 first places. I did not want to sell my dog but a man from Palestine tx jerry Vaughn told me if I like him I will give you $2,500 cash for him. His son had a stud dog named grntch union valley skip they got struck on a running coon and went out of hearing ole scratch circled came back in hearing and was treed 10 minutes before the other dogs come back in hearing lol. That sure was a pile of money on that truck hood It was a down payment on my first home. Thank god for good dogs and rich folks to buy them lol.

Tar

Sounds like he was colder nosed than the other hounds...he warmed up the track and then the other dogs could track it...

You could of said $2500 and two breedings...🤭
It’s hard pricing a top dog...especially if it is a young dog...money gets spent and the dog belongs to someone else...
Sometimes the reason for selling out weighs not selling...
Putting a son or daughter through college or a down payment on a home is a good reason to sell a top hunting dog...

Old Post 07-10-2020 01:13 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I think you have a misconception about folks with money, you do not accumulate wealth by being foolish with your money. I am one that will buy what I want, but I will not waste money. I could care less about impressing someone with how much I paid for something, quiet the opposite in fact, I like to get a bargain. I collect guns and know the value of what I buy, I am always wanting quality at a bargain price. All of the folks that I know with money are very conservative and not out to impress anyone. There is a saying that a fool and his money parts ways, wise men only want to please themselves. We all have hobbies that are just for our pleasure and we have no thoughts of making money in these hobbies, it's just a matter of how much do you have to lose on your hobbies. Some can and will lose more than others based on how much money they have to spend on their hobbies. I have spent a lot of money on horses and coon dogs, but I enjoyed every dollar I spent on horses and coon dogs, still do. Life is to short not to have something you enjoy. You should never confuse a hobby with a business, hobbies cost money, a business should make money. Dave

Old Post 07-10-2020 07:17 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I think you have a misconception about folks with money, you do not accumulate wealth by being foolish with your money. I am one that will buy what I want, but I will not waste money. I could care less about impressing someone with how much I paid for something, quiet the opposite in fact, I like to get a bargain. I collect guns and know the value of what I buy, I am always wanting quality at a bargain price. All of the folks that I know with money are very conservative and not out to impress anyone. There is a saying that a fool and his money parts ways, wise men only want to please themselves. We all have hobbies that are just for our pleasure and we have no thoughts of making money in these hobbies, it's just a matter of how much do you have to lose on your hobbies. Some can and will lose more than others based on how much money they have to spend on their hobbies. I have spent a lot of money on horses and coon dogs, but I enjoyed every dollar I spent on horses and coon dogs, still do. Life is to short not to have something you enjoy. You should never confuse a hobby with a business, hobbies cost money, a business should make money. Dave

Not meaning that at all I had two of the greatest show me how to make money with dogs but it’s a lot of work !! Being on the highway , answering phone calls every night , I am happier with less I don’t want to work at it no more. I don’t even want to sell one if I sell one it’s because it don’t suit me it might suit someone else but that’s why it left. And I have been known to buy a high one but not to suit anyone but me.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 07-11-2020 at 12:29 AM

Old Post 07-11-2020 12:27 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I hear you loud and clear and I agree with you, coon hunting is my hobby, I have never wanted or needed coon hunting to be for a profit business. I would not hunt just for money, shucks, a man can find plenty of easier ways to make a living. There are some that make money from selling dogs, it is just not something I ever wanted to do. I usually give dogs away that do not suit me, they usually suit the ones that get them. I am hard to please, but enjoy hunting a real coon dog. A man told me one time that it is just as cheap to feed a good dog as it is to feed a sorry dog, I agree. Lol. Dave

Old Post 07-11-2020 12:59 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
I hear you loud and clear and I agree with you, coon hunting is my hobby, I have never wanted or needed coon hunting to be for a profit business. I would not hunt just for money, shucks, a man can find plenty of easier ways to make a living. There are some that make money from selling dogs, it is just not something I ever wanted to do. I usually give dogs away that do not suit me, they usually suit the ones that get them. I am hard to please, but enjoy hunting a real coon dog. A man told me one time that it is just as cheap to feed a good dog as it is to feed a sorry dog, I agree. Lol. Dave

I don’t know Dave I just got home if you threw me in a swimming pool I couldn’t be any wetter. Mrs tar made me a gallon of unsweetened tea and I done drank half of it.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2020 01:05 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Bad news for you, tea is a diuretic and excess tea drinking on a hot day can cause you to dehydrate. Caffeine found in tea is the cause, you should drink plenty of water, or Gatorade, that way you do not dehydrate, lay off the tea when you are working in the heat. Dave

Old Post 07-11-2020 01:57 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Bad news for you, tea is a diuretic and excess tea drinking on a hot day can cause you to dehydrate. Caffeine found in tea is the cause, you should drink plenty of water, or Gatorade, that way you do not dehydrate, lay off the tea when you are working in the heat. Dave

Oh well to late now I am fading fast I will sleep it off. I thought it was Lambert’s shift tonight wink , wink lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2020 02:01 AM
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

Let’s be honest coon dogs are a decently cheap hobby. Let’s say you do pay$4500 for a top notch hound. Typically you get 10 good years out of one. At $450 a year that’s pretty cheap for the pleasure you get out of something.

Old Post 07-11-2020 02:37 AM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Melblank

That's right, hunting with a good coon dog is a pleasure and one at any price is a bargain. I fish and coon hunt and I spend way more money on fishing than I do coon hunting. Factor in the cost of a boat, boat gas, fishing supplies, etc. Its far more expensive to fish than it is to coon hunt. You can add a bunch of other hobbies and just about any hobby costs more than coon hunting. Dave

Old Post 07-11-2020 02:44 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Melblank

quote:
That's right, hunting with a good coon dog is a pleasure and one at any price is a bargain. I fish and coon hunt and I spend way more money on fishing than I do coon hunting. Factor in the cost of a boat, boat gas, fishing supplies, etc. Its far more expensive to fish than it is to coon hunt. You can add a bunch of other hobbies and just about any hobby costs more than coon hunting. Dave

Dave, Cheyenne is telling Dalton all the time that boats are nothing but a money pit! Of course he thinks nothing of spending $ of these dogs lol. I was thinking of Tar's $4,500 & a lot of nice dogs can be bought for that but.... if you want one with all the bells and whistles paid up and qualified for all the big shows you better start putting you pennies back because many of them are in the 5 figure range. If you can't afford that in one lump some buy a pup a new pair of boots get and get out of the lazy boy. Then don't track your expenses or count your losses on the way to finding the right one /making what your looking for.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-11-2020 06:57 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Melblank
Let’s be honest coon dogs are a decently cheap hobby. Let’s say you do pay$4500 for a top notch hound. Typically you get 10 good years out of one. At $450 a year that’s pretty cheap for the pleasure you get out of something.

That's a really great way to look at it!

Old Post 07-11-2020 08:44 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Anything I pay $4,500 for better be able to tree coons and win. That hooo Lollie all over the woods And make circle slicks ain’t my bag maaaaaan.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2020 12:11 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Treeing coons is a must factor for me, ACCURACY is number one on my list. I can see all of the empty trees I want to see from the comfort of my house. Price does not make a dog a coon dog, but a coon dog usually commands a high price and rightly so. Coon dogs are few and far between and most can not be bought at any price. Dave

Old Post 07-11-2020 09:10 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Treeing coons is a must factor for me, ACCURACY is number one on my list. I can see all of the empty trees I want to see from the comfort of my house. Price does not make a dog a coon dog, but a coon dog usually commands a high price and rightly so. Coon dogs are few and far between and most can not be bought at any price. Dave

Old Post 07-11-2020 09:11 PM