UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > Choosing the right Stud
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Choosing the right Stud

Thought this might be a good topic to discuss. When choosing the right stud to breed to your female what does everyone look for, do you look for a dog that is stronger in the traits your hound might be lacking, or one that is strong in all traits required for a coonhound or one that is like your female in all traits she has? It's very hard to choose the right stud for your female in my opinion because they're is so many to choose from and it's hard to find a hound with all the traits you may be looking for but thought it would be good to get some opinions on this.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-24-2020 11:27 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Usually it comes down to just a few thing's .

Who's winning big .
Which line you prefer .
Who's closest too you .

Those are the most common . First evaluate your bitch . See what you do and don't like about her . Then find Male's that compliment her as to what you like . Just don't double up on the bad traits thing's you don't like they'll out weigh the good .. 1 x you can gain or lose everything . There are a pile of Stud dog's out there . That definitely makes it difficult . But each specific one has good and bad . It's knowing what you can and can't live without in a dog .

Old Post 06-24-2020 11:55 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

George you left out:
The one with the prettiest dark red color.

I guess that I am a little different. I like to work backwards. I first decide what type or style of pup that I want.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-25-2020 at 01:39 AM

Old Post 06-25-2020 01:24 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
George you left out:

I guess that I am a little different. I like to work backwards. I first decide what type or style of pup that I want.

Out of the studs on here that I've seen pics of they've all got a good dark red color the lightest ones I've seen is barnyard gun but he still looks alright. But alot of the pics are gone and some of them dont have them at all, your stud dog bank is a good looking hound. Doesnt picking the stud help determine the pups you will produce?

Old Post 06-25-2020 01:44 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Or the pups that you want to produce, determines the stud you choose. It sounds like it is only semantics but to me there is a difference in how you approach it. But I probably can't explain it.

Old Post 06-25-2020 02:44 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

quote:
George you left out:

Yes you are a little different...but that's not talking dogs, stay on topic!

And to counter your point, because that's what I like to do, I've never seen a great coondog that was too ugly, or the wrong shade of red. If they can pull a coon out of their pocket in the barren desert, but are a light shade of pink, I'd back anything I wanted up to it.

Old Post 06-25-2020 01:41 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, this coming from the guy that hunts a half walker/half Redbone. What a surprise.

Old Post 06-25-2020 02:07 PM
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Oh my goodness, this coming from the guy that hunts a half walker/half Redbone. What a surprise.

At least her son I'm huntin is only 1/4 now but he looks just like her.

Old Post 06-25-2020 02:26 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Choosing a stud can be very complicated or simply a matter of eeny, meeny, miney mo.
Do you pick one with a certain trait? Or do you pick a more balanced one? Do you pick one based on his pedigree? Do you pick a hunt winner? Or do you pick one that has shown that he is a reproducer of hunt winners? Or do you try to pick one that has several top reproducers in his background. Or one with several big hunt winners in his background. You can even try to pick one that combines all or several of the above. Then as George suggested, you can throw in location, convenience looks and whether it is physically possible to get with the owner to get it done.
You can start with a list of all of the Redbone males and narrow it down to one or even zero. You might find out pretty quickly that there aren't really that many to choose from unless you use the eeny, meeny, miny mo approach. There was a pretty good thread on this topic several years ago before the forum died. You might do a search and find it.

Old Post 06-25-2020 02:26 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Why do you say, "at least"?

Old Post 06-25-2020 02:28 PM
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Why do you say, "at least"?

Because most of the walkers I hunted had but only 1 trait I liked...

Old Post 06-25-2020 03:22 PM
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Richard I didn't really want to touch base on color . It's such a wide variety of what people like . And really hard to say what color scheme you'll get when you make a x .

Ridge runner careful pics can be deceiving depending on lighting and angles . But Richard is right a small gene pool to try to pull from or stud to decide on . Hard going big mouth pressure tree dog's with no reverse are no fun to hunt . But that's what it takes to win and hard to get all those qualities in one dog especially a female . Then most say they want a big motor till they get one and they are 2 miles deep and out of breath . I think the easier thing to do on deciding would be to be honest with yourself and just say what style drive and tree dog you want . I didn't mention mouth cause it comes and goes and never know what you'll end up with .

Old Post 06-25-2020 04:03 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Yes that is what it takes to win I agree but they're no fun as pleasure dogs. I like for my hound to hunt deep if it has to which most of the time they do have to around here but I dont want it to blow by 2 or 3 coons on it's way to getting deep. There has to be a balance there, the dog needs to be hunting while getting deep not just running wide open for 2 miles then start hunting when he is that far in there, so there has to be balance and that is hard to find.

Old Post 06-25-2020 04:45 PM
BAS
UKC Forum Member

Out of the studs on here that I've seen pics of they've all got a good dark red color the lightest ones I've seen is barnyard gun but he still looks alright. But alot of the pics are gone and some of them dont have them at all, your stud dog bank is a good looking hound. Doesnt picking the stud help determine the pups you will produce?

I have a male that is 2 years old. You would not want a darker dog then him. If he was was any darker he would be black

Bruce Simons
912-531-4147

Old Post 06-25-2020 06:42 PM
BAS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAS Click here to Send BAS a Private Message Click Here to Email BAS Find more posts by BAS Add BAS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
Yes that is what it takes to win I agree but they're no fun as pleasure dogs. I like for my hound to hunt deep if it has to which most of the time they do have to around here but I dont want it to blow by 2 or 3 coons on it's way to getting deep. There has to be a balance there, the dog needs to be hunting while getting deep not just running wide open for 2 miles then start hunting when he is that far in there, so there has to be balance and that is hard to find.
I don't believe you'll have to worry about a redbone running wide open for 2 miles before it starts hunting no matter who you get a pup out of. There are very few redbones that try to get away from other dogs, sure there are independent reds that will split from the other dogs but very few blow through the country to get by themselves.

Old Post 06-25-2020 07:35 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Rusty Nutt

Phil told me that he was a son of a gun and hunted in a straight line until he treed. One that went the opposite direction of all the others was Rambo, hunted with Roger in IL and he was a tree hound and had the fur but wouldn’t want to do that anymore😂

Old Post 06-25-2020 08:09 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BAS
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BAS

I have a male that is 2 years old. You would not want a darker dog then him. If he was was any darker he would be black

Bruce Simons
912-531-4147

AND he is out of Barnyard Gun!

Old Post 06-25-2020 09:03 PM
BAS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAS Click here to Send BAS a Private Message Click Here to Email BAS Find more posts by BAS Add BAS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Blake, you are right, there are a very few. Pigeon River Jim after he got to be 4-5 years old was one of them. Boone was another. Fancy is one and Toadie was another. I wonder how their pups hunted? Wait, Fancy was out of Toadie. Maybe there have been more than a few. I can remember one named Tn Ben that a youth from Tn hunted and one named Storm that Ricky Vickers had. For a long time nobody wanted a Redbone that left the country so it was pretty much bred out of them. Now that is what a lot of hunters want so it is being bred back in by some.

Old Post 06-25-2020 09:54 PM
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Very few red dog's blow through the country . Most start hunting out the box . Almost every red dog I've hunted hunt's harder against other dog's . Even the backpackers whether they'll do it alone or not . And a lot of people consider deep hunters differently as to how far they really want to walk . I'd rather walk 100 yards to a coon then I had a mile . But if coons are thin and not moving they gotta hunt at least 600 yards to please me . Sometimes it takes me to cut 2 dog's loose to get that and then usually they split .

As far as getting what you breed to and getting that in offspring . That isn't always the case . I've watched xs for year's now and made 3 myself . People forget the female is very important in breeding . I believe a lot of time's a female Carrie's dominant traits . And not too mention a craps shoot . Now sometimes you get a stud that can breed a poodle and produce coon dog's but very rarely .
For example Female big mouth hard pressure tree dog and a track driver but lazy x on below average mouth pressure tree dog with lots of go yonder produced lil better then average mouth track drivers and super hard tree dog's but still only produced medium to close hunters .

Old Post 06-26-2020 12:12 AM
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Blake, you are right, there are a very few. Pigeon River Jim after he got to be 4-5 years old was one of them.

I think you hit on something there most forget or don't realize is it appears to me a redbone will hit a big second wind between 3-5 years old depending on how much they've been hunted. That's a good and bad thing. If a person has patience, it's a great thing.

I've always hated when a person or animal can't think for themselves. So I have never, ever, no will likely ever, hunt a dog for any length of time that can't hunt and tree coons alone. That certainly doesn't mean they're 100% dead loners in a cast. I wish. Here lately in my neck of the woods and knowing 95% of all local hunts are bucket hunts, a faster dog that likes company wins. But I'd rather lose, because that's no fun during the week and I'm too lazy to cut 2 dogs just so 1 will go huntin.

Old Post 06-26-2020 02:00 PM
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

I've seen more than a few red dogs that love to be alone and are quick enough for sure.

Outlaw Mac was my all time favorite. He not only loved to be alone, he could flat pull one out of this pocket when needed. His last year or two was rough though, I'd never seen lymes mess one up quite so bad.

GMan is another. He's won too much for people to believe otherwise. Even if you don't like TMack, heck I don't like him either...kidding!!!

I saw a son of Crow, I think Crowbar was his name, flat look special one night up in Indiana. He lost the cast but if I had to buy a dog that week, it woulda been him.

Richard mentioned Boone. I didn't get to lay eyes on Boone until he was a bit older, but he was always looking to get alone it seemed.

Curtis Cooke's Mack dog was the same, seemed a bit quicker than most doing it though, brushbuster bred. He won the grand american one year and a month later drew him at southern days. Between him and Outlaw Mac we walked to a bunch of splits, very far apart.

Drew a red dog named Bushwhacker of Tim Figg's couple years ago. Deep and lonely was an understatement. And stood by his name, literally bushwhacked one out the truck at nearly a mile.

Another Mack, Stone Cold Mack of Matt Roberts here in NC, full littermate to Turkey, sucker make you walk if needed, as beautiful a red dog as you'd ever see, nice and loud too. Drove down to Matt's one night just to see him go. Him and Jinx made us find roads to keep from walking.

Chad Porter's Doc Holliday dog, never been in many comp hunts, but no slouch whatsoever and absolutely easy on the eyes. And a hard to match mouth.

That's not all for sure, and if we wanted to talk ones I've seen that I'd say were just flat fast and didn't mind stealing a track or didn't mind company, I could make up a new list. That's not a bad flavor either, and honestly would work way better for me down this way, and would work way better for MOST people unless you're in a coon zoo, but pride comes before a fall and we've all been forced to desire that deep and lonely.

Last edited by Adam Wingler on 06-26-2020 at 02:56 PM

Old Post 06-26-2020 02:15 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I forgot about Crow. You are right. I think that he got it from his sire, Barnyard Harry who was that type. Pastor Mike's male is that type and he is also Harry bred. The old Brushbuster dogs were like that also. Larry Walker's Freak was like that and I think that Bushwacker is out of her. The Hammer dog in Alabama is that type. So is the Pistol dog. Actually there are quite a few Redbones that are deep and lonely if you want that style and are willing to get out and look for it. Gene Ing has a 1 yr old male that is that style. It can definitely be bred into a line. Gene's female is out of Boone x Rhonda. He has been hunted completely by himself since he was 6 mos old.

As I said before, decide what you want your pups to be like and then go looking for a male that has those traits and is from a line of dogs that predominately produces those traits.

Old Post 06-26-2020 02:54 PM
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

No doubt. I wouldn't agree with myself that I've seen enough offspring of any 1 stud or female to say with certainty that it's a heavy concentration in any particular line (the hard hunting soloist)...but I would like to say I've seen it. Nobody really seems to focus on that with redbones and I even wonder if so in any breed really. Nobody will shutup about it, yet if there is but a 50% chance a whole litter can even tree coons consistently, I'd say way less tree coons AND have that trait. I have hunted and tried more than a few off Outlaw Mac and I see it at least in small doses in all of them. Some more so than others. And I wish simply hunting one alone was the answer, but while I KNOW it makes a better dog, it's no guarantee it'll make them solo artists. And at times develops other issues.

I'm no breeder, I don't want to spend years trying to make multiple crosses to get what I want, so I just count on other people. It's way too difficult to see what a gang of pups can do where I live, so thanks to the breeders. Two things I swore off many years ago, 1) having a lazy dog. If I have a top notch athlete at my disposal, I sure as heck ain't doing his work for him. and 2) I ain't climbing no more hills for EMPTIES!

Old Post 06-26-2020 03:34 PM
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

Biggest hunting and most consistent redbone I've been with was Shotgun Red. He was pretty much the same every night, through the country by himself with a coon. He was the type that when you cut loose he was looking to get away from the other dogs and get his own treed. And the more you hunted him the harder he went. And yes I agree Richard, the few times I've hunted with Fancy and Boone they were looking to get one treed by their self. Fancy seemed to be looking for a coon the moment you un snap her, if my memory is correct didn't she tree a coon like 10yds from the truck a couple nights before the purina nationals last year lol.

Last edited by BLAKE WHEELER on 06-26-2020 at 05:15 PM

Old Post 06-26-2020 05:11 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That must have been another Fancy. By herself, she would tree close but with other dogs she didn't start looking for a coon until she was 4-500 yds.

Old Post 06-26-2020 06:06 PM