UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Storms/fireworks?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

Storms/fireworks?

Any suggestions on what to do for hounds that are scared of thunderstorms and bigger fireworks?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-22-2020 10:09 PM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I've spoken to a few vets about this and they don't know why dogs are afraid of weather. Nobody's ever seen a cat, horse, cow, chicken, goat or any other animal that's afraid of bad weather. Only dog's and nobody knows why or what to do about it.

Old Post 06-23-2020 01:12 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

I don't know if I've ever seen a dog afraid of thunder, that wasn't also gun shy.

I start shooting guns around my dogs as soon as I get them, even if they're just puppies. I wait until they're eating or otherwise preoccupied and walk maybe 40 yards away and shoot a .22 rifle. If they ignore it, or if their head snaps up but they go right back to what they are doing, just keep doing this a few times a week, eventually getting closer, or moving up to a larger caliber. If they stop what they're doing and run the opposite direction, stop for the day and the next time you do it, do it from further away. Just gradually make the sound of guns a part of their everyday life.

I've never found a way to stop a gun shy dog from being gun shy once it's grown. If your dog stays in the house and has been crate trained, I'd put them in their crate during storms or fireworks, as most dogs feel safe in their crates. If they're outside kennel dogs, they can just ride it out in their dog houses.

Old Post 06-23-2020 02:22 AM
yotetrapper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yotetrapper Click here to Send yotetrapper a Private Message Click Here to Email yotetrapper Find more posts by yotetrapper Add yotetrapper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I’ve had many dogs through the years and only had one that was deathly afraid of thunder and gunfire...

But his owner which I had given the puppy used to target shoot deer rifles in his back yard...I am thinking that pup was about ruined with all that shooting...

Old Post 06-23-2020 03:11 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

They’re coyote hounds, they’re fine with a 12 gauge or 223 but I guess that’s because they’re running game. The fireworks are just going off too close to my house

Old Post 06-23-2020 03:31 AM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Freaking out over loud noises is a phobia. Psychologists have a name for it but I have forgotten what it is. There is not much that you can do about it.

Old Post 06-23-2020 01:17 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have owned a few dogs that was afraid of thunder and fireworks. Guaranteed they was not gun shy.

Old Post 06-23-2020 01:54 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Dogs know the difference between a gun shot and thunder/fireworks.. I've had a few over the years and have one now that hates fire works, but you could shoot a coon out with a 12 gauge and he wouldnt' miss a beat.. LOL..

Just dogs, sometimes they are like us humans, irrational fear of strange things..

Old Post 06-23-2020 02:41 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

Thanks guys. I wasn’t sure if anyone had any tips on it or not.

Old Post 06-23-2020 03:09 PM
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

I have a dog thats 4 and have had her since 8 week old puppy and she aint gun shy . When shes treed and hears a twannytoo go off shes waiting for it to hit the ground in kill mode !! But a large rifle or fireworks drive her crazy she paces the pen barking like an protective attack dog wanting to eat someone. shes done this since she was prob 5 months old. I live close to a retired guy that also target shoots ALOT and its mostly large rifles. something about those big booms she dont like em LOL my other dogs dont make a peep.

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 06-23-2020 03:37 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

That’s exactly how mine are acting and between several thunderstorms passing through lately and the big fireworks starting to go off it’s been a pain trying to keep them calm.

Old Post 06-23-2020 05:52 PM
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

Believe it or not they make calming treats that really work. There are several kinds. I have one that’s scared of weather but definitely not a gun.

Old Post 06-23-2020 11:46 PM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Don't know if these work but they make Thunder Shirts/Anxiety Vests for millions of pets/house dogs.

Old Post 06-24-2020 01:15 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Don't know if these work but they make Thunder Shirts/Anxiety Vests for millions of pets/house dogs.

Old Post 06-24-2020 01:15 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

I’ll look into the treats and shirts. Thanks.

Old Post 06-24-2020 04:04 PM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Try

Homeopet Anxiety TFLN

it’s made for what you’re after

Old Post 06-25-2020 12:26 AM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I have owned a few dogs that was afraid of thunder and fireworks. Guaranteed they was not gun shy.
X2

Old Post 06-25-2020 12:44 AM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yotetrapper
I don't know if I've ever seen a dog afraid of thunder, that wasn't also gun shy..

I've seen several gun dogs, and hounds that way. I have one now that is not scared of a gun at a tree, but if you shoot one around the house he's petrified. He's also scared of thunder, and fireworks.

Old Post 06-25-2020 02:51 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

That’s how mine are Josh

Old Post 06-25-2020 03:00 AM
qchounds
UKC Forum Member

I have a lab that is gets spooked with fireworks, but you can shoot pheasants over him all day with no problems. Since there are only a few weeks when fireworks are going off Im not too worried about it. None of hounds have ever cared about fireworks

Old Post 06-25-2020 03:14 AM
qchounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for qchounds Click here to Send qchounds a Private Message Click Here to Email qchounds Find more posts by qchounds Add qchounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arachyd
UKC Forum Member

As far as thundershirts go, they do work for dogs that are scared of storms. We have a dog that's terrified of loud noises and simply wearing an old t-shirt helps calm her down during thunderstorms and fireworks. I don't know why and she'll never be able to hunt but she's a good house dog and guards the garden well.

Old Post 06-27-2020 11:12 PM
arachyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arachyd Click here to Send arachyd a Private Message Find more posts by arachyd Add arachyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote