UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Gayle's Grays Creek Pat Garrett
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Gayle's Grays Creek Pat Garrett

I’m starting this thread to track the progress Garrett, my 5 month old puppy off of Case /Emmy cross. As before with Blueduck, I will post the good with the bad, and hope for the best. We made this cross once before with good results. I had a female from the first cross, that was showing a lot of promise. She got out one night, and I found her dead on the road the next morning. So here we go with Garrett. He was the pick of the litter, but the guy that picked him, backed out, after leading Donald on for 3 months. I still aint figured that one out yet. Anyways, I think he missed out on one fine pup. My plans for Garrett is to train him completely alone, but its hard to keep from cutting him loose with Blueduck. At this point I have only turned one coon out for him when he was 4 months old. He chased it to the woods and kept trying to figure out where it went after it climbed. Not a lot of action for sure. I have been hauling him to the woods went I go, just to get him use to riding, and I turn him out after Blueduck trees. This is one hunting little fellow, when he hits the ground he’s off investigating. I have been really pleased with the way he acts in the woods, he is always trailing something. He has also started trying to jump in the box. Last night Blueduck treed a hot one, and when I got to the tree, Garrett was up on the tree, smelling as high as he could reach. He would whine, but never barked. So I think now it’s time to start this tread.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2018 10:56 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

good lookin one

Old Post 10-19-2018 02:10 AM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Mark, I really like the way he is acting.

Old Post 10-29-2018 03:02 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Garrett's first time to see a coon hide. As I stated before, I did turn a coon out for him, with not much success. but I was reall proud of im with this hide.

View My Video

Old Post 10-29-2018 03:06 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

7 months

Garrett is 7 months old now, on 12/23/18 I made a short hunt in Gumswamp. I had filled some feeders the week before, and knew they should be hot. The first feeder on the Steel Bridge road has been having a coon on it that will cross the road and get in the cutover, and run for ever. So on this night I just drove on pass it to the next one. When I pulled up, there was a coon standing 4-5 yards from the feeder. This is going to be just perfect. I turned Garrett out and he went straight to the feeder. The coon never moved, and Garrett never saw him. Finally the coon climbed a tree right there. Garrett was going crazy running up and down the waters edge, and my temper was getting higher and higher. He eventually found where the coon had climbed and treed some, but nowhere close to what I expected him to do. I was really disappointed in him. But I don't know how a puppy's mine works. To me it should have been the easiest coon to tree. I loaded him up and went back to the first feeder. This time I sent him in with Blueduck, but the coon wasn't there. Blueduck covered a lot of ground and finally struck at 500 yards. He ran that coon across Wall Bayou and treed on a big Pine. Garrett was at the tree when I got there but never treed that I know of. I made my way back to the Ranger and was headed to another spot to turn out, but I had to pass back by the the feeder where I started. The coon was down and on the feeder again. Round 2, I turned Garrett out again with just about the same results. Now I can tell you I sure wasn't happy with this puppy. I loaded him up and drove on around to cut Bluduck out again. He struck a bad track but never could get it going so he moved on out. After about 45 mins, he just fall treed. I made my way to him and found him on a Big Pin Oak. I figured I'd knock this one out for Blueduck and made a drag for Garrett. I laied a short drag and hung the coon out of sight, then turned Garrett out. He hit the trail and ran on passed the tree. About 20 yards behind it, he hit breaks and stood up on his back legs, and started locating. He made his way back to the tree and this is the video I took of him.

View My Video

Old Post 12-27-2018 02:32 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Tommy and Rhett

Happy New Year to You and Yours. I hope Pat Garret is coming along good.

Old Post 01-01-2019 05:47 AM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Well there aint been much to report on Garrett up till 2 weeks ago. I was having a hard time getting him on a hot coon, then 2 weeks ago he got his chance. When I check my tire feeder it was wet and the water around it was muddy. I cut him and off he went switching his tail 90 miles a hour, but he never opened. When he was 150 yards or so I could hear him whining. When I got to him he was checking trees, then he just pulled up on a huge Live Oak and started blowing the top out. Well that didn’t last long enough for me to video it, but I was fairly pleased with him anyways. This past Monday night, the coon was on the feeder again. Garrett hit the ground screaming, loud, boy that puppy is loud. He tried to run that track but never could let it lined out, So I sent Blueduck to him. Blueduck ran that coon across Wall Bayou and got in a lot of water and was having trouble himself. After a few mins he treed up a Big Short Leaf Pine. I tied them both back, and rolled this one out to Garrett. The coon hit the ground right in front of Garrett. The coon had gone by the time I got him unhook. Garrett took the track about another 100 yards and treed. This is the video I took while walking to the tree.
View My Video

Old Post 01-31-2019 09:47 PM
sleepyblues
UKC Forum Member

Good work Garret and Tommy on road and running

Old Post 01-31-2019 10:30 PM
sleepyblues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepyblues Click here to Send sleepyblues a Private Message Click Here to Email sleepyblues Find more posts by sleepyblues Add sleepyblues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

2/4/19

Well last night was a disappointment, and was really exciting for Garrett. Over all, I was pleased with him. I cut a coon loose for him, but it only went about 40 yards and treed. Garrett was on him as he went up the tree. He treed 3 or 4 mins then got down, trying to find a track leaving the tree. I was very disappointed in that, and feel like at 9 months old, he should have been locked down. But that’s my way of thinking, may be wrong or maybe right, but I sure didn’t like it at all. Well I caught him, and tied him under the tree. By the time I had him tied, and backed up to find the coon, it was out on the end of a limb, crossing over into a big pine. I knew he would be gone for ever if he reached the trunk of the pine. Before I could get a clear shot, up the tree he went. I fired one shot as he was disappearing into the top, and connected, but not a good shot, because off he ran. I cut Garrett loose, and the race was on. After maybe 5 mins Garrett had him bayed in the creek, but the coon got away, and the race was on again. By this time Donald had his female litter mate on the coon also. I’m chasing them through the pine thicket trying to stay close as I can, when I heard the coon squalling, they caught him, but he managed to get away again. After 100 yards or so, the pups lost him on the creek bank. I figured that was all of it and was trying to catch Garrett, when he ran upon the coon again. He ran him a round in couple circles, and I watched the coon running down the creek and out of sight. After running him some more, he lost the track again. This happened 4-5 time throughout the whole ordeal. The last time I was insight of the ranger, and it looked like Garrett was done, and I know I was done for sure. Garrett ran past the ranger and picked up the track one last time. He ran it into another pine thicket about 75-100 yards and treed. He would get down and then tree again. I was busting briars and vines trying to get to him. When I reached him he was treeing on one pine then move to another, then on the ground, then back to a tree. While I was trying to get a hand on him, I spotted the coon about 20 foot up a pine. Well I finished off the coon and let Garrett have it. He was completely coon crazy. After everything was over and I had time to replay this in my head, that puppy did some amazing work last night.

Old Post 02-05-2019 07:06 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

BBCHA King of Show

Watson held it's 2019 BBCHA Section Friday and Saturday. Put Garrett in the Bench Show, and he won King of Show.
That was his first time to go to a hunt, and 3rd time ever on a bench. But he's got to start treeing coon before he can go back on the bench.

Old Post 02-20-2019 02:16 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

3/9/19

It’s been slow going with Garrett here lately. Between the rain, me being sick, and other things in life that kept me out the woods, Garrett has just been laying in the pen. Saturday night we finally got a chance to hit the woods, and man, did he ever make me happy. We cut Garrett and Blueduck up a small creek that ran through a briar patch, and on up into the woods. Once they hit the woods, Garrett struck, then Blueduck. After they had went up the creek 50 yards or so, Garrett located once or twice, then continued on up the creek with Blueduck. The track broke down, and Blueduck circled back towards the spot where Garrett had Located, then locked down treed. Garrett came into the tree and backed him. Once I got in close to the tree, I could tell they were split about 25 yards apart, and Garrett was blowing the top out. Blueduck had the coon, and I couldn’t find anything in Garrett’s tree, but one could have been there. I shot the coon out then through it over to Garrett, to have a little fun with. I think it’s all starting to come together now (3 days shy of 10 months).

Old Post 03-11-2019 01:35 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Took Garrett and Blueduck for a short hunt last night. I sent them east off the Steel Bridge road. After they took off, I started to fill my feeder with corn. About half way through, I heard something running toward me in the woods. It was Garrett, don't know why he came back. By the time I had him loaded up, Blueduck struck a cold track deep, so I rode around to get closer to send Garrett to him. Blueduck was having a hard time moving the track, which wasn't doing Garrett any good at all. Garrett tried to tree 2 or 3 times while Blueduck was struggling with the track. After a few minutes, they moved on out of there looking for a better track. They hit Wall Bayou and headed south a ways before Blueduck hit another cold track, but was able to move this one on a bit. Garrett would open every now and then. After about 250 yards south, Blueduck fell treed and Garrett covered him. It took me 30 - 40 mins to reach them, and garrett wasn't treeing as hard, but I did get a short video of him.
https://youtu.be/gi433_lAgbo

Old Post 03-19-2019 09:27 PM
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Been awhile since I posted. Turkey season has had me shut down, but that all ended yesterday. Don’t get me wrong, because I’m a deer hunter and turkey hunter, but aint it crazy how those to hunting sports control the entire hunting world???? Why is that? Shouldn’t we all have the right to use public lands? Oh well, back to Garrett. The only action he had seen in the last month was a cage coon. On this one I wanted to do things a little different than the couple before. For this one, I turned Garrett loose just as the coon reached about 10 yards. We, lets just say, he couldn’t hold on and a stand off took place, but Garrett got to see what it was like to catch what he was chasing. I caught him and let the coon run off. Garrett treed him in the edge of the woods.

Last night I took Blueduck and Garrett to Gumswamp. I cut Blueduck first, but Garrett got out with him. They struck a cold track and moved it south down around Wall Bayou. Blueduck treed up a huge White Oak, but I couldn’t find this one. Garrett treed some, but wasn’t at the tree when I got there. (Not Happy at all). I called him in and made my way back to the ranger. I started to go home, but decided to go around and send Garrett down Wall Bayou alone. He hit the ground on a run, and hadn’t gone over 50 yards when he hit a red hot track. That puppy can for ever more run a track. He headed west and I followed in behind him. Wanted to be close if he trees. He went 300 yards, then shutup. Well I know the coon treed. All of a sudden, Garrett locates and starts blowing the top out. I’m busting briar and vines trying to get to him, but don’t make it before he stops. I had gotten to about 100-75 yards of where he treed. I’m really upset now. He starts treeing again in the same spot, but stops before I can reach him again. This time I made it to within 40 yards. So I just stand there and wait. From what I can see there aint a tree big enough to tree on, but its really thick. He starts treeing again, and I reach him this time. He’s treed up a small Pin Oak about 9” around and 25 foot tall, and there in the top set a big ole coon. He has done it. Treed his first coon in the wild alone. It wasn’t pretty, and I’d like to tell you he just ran out there and nailed it, and treed for 30 mins till I got there, but that aint the case. If he will ever stay after he locates, he will be one fine hound. This pup is loud and fast on a track.

Old Post 05-06-2019 03:35 PM