UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Meat dog
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Slick treein idiots

quote:
Originally posted by wart
it don't take much to tree coons folks

Seen a few dogs somebody needed to tell that piece of Truth to along with the dumby hunting em.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-18-2020 01:21 AM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Mr Richards you are correct a good accurate dog can tree them all year around thick or thinner coon,the problem is producing these kind regularly for some reason they are hard to come buy

Old Post 07-18-2020 01:27 AM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Wart

You are correct, they are hard to come by, but if you will not settle for less, they can be found. I think most folks just settle for decent when they should be wanting excellent. I learned at an early age that there were dogs and a few that were actually coon dogs. I try hard to hunt and own what I call a coon dog, but they have been few and far between in my case. I have found out that the more you demand the better the dog you will have, it's when you settle for less is when you get less. Dave

Old Post 07-18-2020 02:48 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Coon dog

I am a little excited, my hunting partner and I have bought a half brother to his dog, just out of a younger litter that has the tools to be special. We do not summer hunt, but are looking forward to fall when WE can start polishing on this dog. I am starting to walk better on my leg with the torn ACL, and this dog has me excited for Fall and Winter hunting season. I needed something to motivate me to hunt this coming year and I hope this dog continues to excite me. Dave

Old Post 07-18-2020 02:56 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Agreed!

quote:
Originally posted by MUSKY
To me they are one in the same, stay treed with a coon, get open on the ground, go hunting and come when called. I am primarily a pleasure hunter but make no mistake a top pleasure dog will also excel in competition. I refuse to shock a dog for backing a dog, if they aren’t doing something on their own where I live they better get a piece of the action. I don’t expect them to be alone, I expect them to be first. Turning 4 dogs loose and they go 4 different directions isn’t competition at all. Around 1985-1995 at any local hunt in the country you could see real deal coondogs that were stiff and those same dogs were hunted by guys who put up hides all winter with them, if the fur market would come back so would the better dogs. Very few people hunt enough to truly make a good one.

I agree with you completely. I used to make more money selling hides than most of the people hunting money hunts are winning (even today), and my entry fee was $0 (zero). For me, it's very discouraging and frustrating to walk through cut-over timber and greenbriars and find an empty tree.

I can walk through any woods and finds lots of trees. I don't need a dog to find me trees!!! I want the dog to show me coon!!!

Old Post 07-18-2020 06:36 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben

Something that really has had me thinking...why is it a dogs pedigree can be stacked with grand night champions, a few night champions and world champions yet the common talk is that they don’t produce???

My thoughts are that if they cannot reproduce themselves then there is something wrong with the system that titles them...these dogs should reproduce a decent percentage of likeness...

Redbones produce almost 100 percent red dogs...may have slightly different shades of red...

Black n Tans produce Black and Tan...

Most of us want the top 2 percent hunting dog when considering to own a hunting dog...

On average when we randomly rank 100 coon dogs or people or anything for that matter we can then categorize them for coon hunting or whatever for their level of performance...

We will have the above average top twenty...
We will have the average 60...
We will have the below average 20...
Inside the group of the top twenty you will have the top 2 percent...we can break it up anyway we want but let’s keep it as only the top 20 percent that we will discuss...

In humans the top 20 percent aren’t perfect because they are human...but day in and day out they are the top twenty percent...same with coondogs in the coondog world...

Speaking on these top twenty coon dogs...it shouldn’t matter if they are meat dogs or competition dogs...they should have the same genetics...having the same genetics will work very well but does not need to be exactly the same when looking for ideal...again speaking about averages here...

There could be variations in several ways...the meat hunter might want a colder nosed dog so when coon are thin the dog can take a colder track...the breeder of this type of dog is not worried if the dog takes a little longer to tree a coon as long as he gets that coon...time is not critical...

The competition breeder doesn’t want his dog wasting time on a colder track because time is money and the dog should have a certain type of nose...if it’s a cold track just keep running and hunting until he hits that optimum track or hotter track...

I’ve always said...if you have to use a shocking collar very often to make a dog then you can expect more of the same with the offspring...
I don’t mind having super gamey pups that need to be broken off unwanted game...matter of fact I like those pups the best...there is a few steps to take in breaking them off unwanted game...fairly easy but can drive one crazy when not done correctly...

I’m not a competition hunter and never will be...but I want dogs that are naturally inclined to hunt, wind and track a certain way...and I like to hunt a certain way to make good hunting dogs better...yes there is a certain amount of training...but the want to needs to be there...

Not running a pipeline or dirt road...I walk in the woods twenty five yards and cast...this is not a breeding issue..just do the right thing...

I cast them into the wind...if I’m traveling i try to go crosswind and below where I think the game is for the scent to be coming to me and not going away from me...
If the dogs are roading in front of me and they get interested in a scent I stop and watch them work and encourage them to work it...if they come back I move on slowly...if they don’t come back I know they will eventually strike...it’s about making the dogs better and not about time and acting a certain way to minimize wasting time or losing points...it’s about being thorough...it’s about making the complete hunting dog...
It’s a great feeling to know that when casting the dogs in a good patch of woods that if the game is moving they will find it...if they come back you feel good about moving on...

Those are some of the common sense differences I see...

Old Post 07-18-2020 10:28 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rueben

The debate over meat dog vs competition dog is kind of silly, first a coon dog is a coon dog period. I do not care if you pleasure hunt or competition hunt, the objective is to tree coons, not trees. The best dogs I have owned and or hunted with were both top meat dogs and top COMPETITION DOGS. A lot of folks like to say that a competition dog is faster locating a tree, etc than a meat dog which is just not true. The very best dog I ever owned or hunted with was deadly accurate and you could tree her on her locate, she did not locate if the coon was not there and she was a TOP competition dog . Dave

Old Post 07-18-2020 06:59 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rueben

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
The debate over meat dog vs competition dog is kind of silly, first a coon dog is a coon dog period. I do not care if you pleasure hunt or competition hunt, the objective is to tree coons, not trees. The best dogs I have owned and or hunted with were both top meat dogs and top COMPETITION DOGS. A lot of folks like to say that a competition dog is faster locating a tree, etc than a meat dog which is just not true. The very best dog I ever owned or hunted with was deadly accurate and you could tree her on her locate, she did not locate if the coon was not there and she was a TOP competition dog . Dave

Dave...I agree with you...

I am pushing the issue as to why a stacked pedigree loaded with all types of champions can reproduce so low percentages of top dogs...

Bruce and Tar answered some of those questions as to why but no one has offered solutions to change that...

Old Post 07-18-2020 07:20 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Rueben

quote:

I am pushing the issue as to why a stacked pedigree loaded with all types of champions can reproduce so low percentages of top dogs...

Bruce and Tar answered some of those questions as to why but no one has offered solutions to change that...

One solution would be not breeding to any female that is brought to them just for the money received from the stud fee. To many brood females are bred for stud fee and the money a pup will bring from a big name stud dog. The female needs to be a proven coondog before its bred, that compliments what the stud has to offer. Both dogs need to compliment each on hunting ability before there bred. To many people breed just for the money in the hound world, not all do this there is some that are trying to do it the right way but alot do not.

Last edited by Ridgerunner1988 on 07-18-2020 at 07:28 PM

Old Post 07-18-2020 07:24 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Rueben

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
One solution would be not breeding to any female that is brought to them just for the money received from the stud fee. To many brood females are bred for stud fee and the money a pup will bring from a big name stud dog. The female needs to be a proven coondog before its bred, that compliments what the stud has to offer. Both dogs need to compliment each on hunting ability before there bred. To many people breed just for the money in the hound world, not all do this thee is some that are trying to do it the right way but alot do not. [/QOTE]

BEST ANSWER to a good question. Dave

Old Post 07-18-2020 08:15 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Meat dog vs Competition Dog

About 40 years ago a fellow moved in next to me and told me had the best coon dog in Louisiana. Naturally I had to hunt with him. He had permission to hunt a good spot of private land with plenty coons. He turned the dog out and when he barked the man broke for him like a quarter horse. When we got to him he was running in circles with his nose on the ground. Then the got on a tree, barked twice and put his nose back on the ground again. The man said there he is. Sho nuf there was a coon in the tree. He did this three more times that night. Had a coon every time. He was a good locater but wasn't much of a tree dog. He caught over 100 coons with that dog that winter. Might've been the best meat dog in Louisiana, but I think he would have come up a little short on a competition hunt..

Old Post 07-18-2020 11:42 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald

Not in these mountains he would not be a good meat dog, you DO NOT run to trees up here. You may crawl to some, but definitely no running, not even in my younger days. Lol. Dave

Old Post 07-19-2020 01:30 AM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Read all these comments and enjoyed them but the one thing that I think can separate a really good Meat dog from a competition dog is how he gets treed. A good meat dog can located hard on two or three trees before he parks where the coon is. That can be very hard on a handler in competition unless the dog has a total different locate when he's sure. I have a good young dog that will locate hard maybe 2-3 times on a feeding track. Sometimes your ready to say that's it and then he gets quiet, maybe moves 50 yards and sits down with the coon. On a good track when he locates he's done. But I would think this would keep him from being a top competition dog. But really not a problem pleasure hunting him. I do think he will get better with a little age and experience.

Old Post 07-19-2020 01:43 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom

You are correct in saying some dogs can be good pleasure dogs without being good competition dogs. I think some dogs are good meat and competition dogs in the same package, it just depends on the dog. I will always take the top meat dog over a competition dog that's not a good meat dog. Dave

Old Post 07-19-2020 03:06 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Back in the day dogs packed for 3 long hours so a dog couldn’t milk dud around getting treed or sombody would steal first tree. They had to locate fast and be accurate and stay.

Tar

Old Post 07-19-2020 03:28 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Now days

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Back in the day dogs packed for 3 long hours so a dog couldn’t milk dud around getting treed or sombody would steal first tree. They had to locate fast and be accurate and stay.

Tar

Now days dogs don't pack for 1short hour so a dog can't milk dud around getting treed or somebody else will tree first. They have to locate fast and be accurate and stay until you get there.
Just saying

Old Post 07-19-2020 05:56 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Rueben

quote:

Here's some more information to ponder too. If every pup out of a litter had the same chances would your results be better or worse? Not every pup gets the same chance. Even for a guy like yourself. You've explained about how you test your pups. And a great way to get natural tendencies. But I bet you don't keep every pup, and you can't train every pup you've produced as a breeder. But just because there's a pedigree full of champion titles sure doesn't mean what they reproduce will make the grade.

And imho, so there's 10% of dogs that are decent. And only 5-10% of those are the consistent ones I want. And only 5-10% of those have the talent to be a world champion. So there's only 1-2% or less that have the talent to be what everyone that buys a pup hopes for (being a world champion).

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 07-19-2020 06:53 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Now days

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
Now days dogs don't pack for 1short hour so a dog can't milk dud around getting treed or somebody else will tree first. They have to locate fast and be accurate and stay until you get there.
Just saying

I just went and looked at the scores of this weekend $$$ hunts one coon in 90 minutes on average ?

Just sayen.

Tar

Old Post 07-19-2020 07:38 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

1 coon

Which is better 1 coon in 90 min or no coon in 3 hrs
Hmmm
Just sayin

Old Post 07-19-2020 08:10 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Re: 1 coon

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
Which is better 1 coon in 90 min or no coon in 3 hrs
Hmmm
Just sayin

Been a while but last time I competed 3 first in 3 hunts and high scoring dog all 3 times. And there was daggum shore More than one coon treed on them cast. Up north were those hunts are there should be no excuse. I live in the crappiest hunting there is lots of coons but miserable hunting.

2 hour cast I won’t pack a 1 coon in 1 hour dog.

Tar

Old Post 07-19-2020 08:17 PM
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: 1 coon

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Been a while but last time I competed 3 first in 3 hunts and high scoring dog all 3 times. And there was daggum shore More than one coon treed on them cast. Up north were those hunts are there should be no excuse. I live in the crappiest hunting there is lots of coons but miserable hunting.

2 hour cast I won’t pack a 1 coon in 1 hour dog.

Tar

X2 That's just ridiculous I'd be evaluating the hounds I own and trying to do something about bettering them or shipping them and starting over.

Old Post 07-19-2020 08:19 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Eric, in the last 10 year's there have been 10 World Champions. I wonder how many pups were born in the last 10 year's? What percentage would that be?
I wonder how many good meat dogs there have been in the last 10 year's?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 07-19-2020 at 08:24 PM

Old Post 07-19-2020 08:21 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

meat dog

a meat dog bought my first car when I was in 11th grade ,if he barked 3 times you could load the gun .nose had nothing much to do with his coon treeing ability . he had burning hate for a coon and a burning desire to sink his teeth in them , he hunted mostly by sight and if a coon ran he would catch them and kill or bay them until you arrived , one man alone on a night coon were moving could not skin and carry the coons he would put up, he was a coon treeing killing machine, half border collie half Australian shepherd .after 40 years of coon hunting I have never seen or owned a hound that I think could have won a coon treeing contest against ralph .lol

Last edited by thomasg on 07-19-2020 at 11:20 PM

Old Post 07-19-2020 11:14 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

It’s really not about how many coon is treed in an hour or 3 if it was a such thing anymore. It’s about whoever has what it takes to win the cast . Might it be less minus , most circle. Granted whatever it may be , if you can get past what happens before the dog looks up more than likely it will be plus points. The way I see it being nowadays is that a man can win 4500.00 in two nights hunting, more than that in some hunts.I don’t think they really care how many hides their dog can gather or how many titles the past dogs in their dogs pedigree has. It’s a money driven sport now. It would probably be a proven fact that if competition hunting came to a end a lot of folks would quit all together.The tradition of going coon hunting in general is gone or dying at a rapid pace.

Old Post 07-20-2020 12:11 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

When I started if you didn’t sell hides or sell a dog there was no money in it. They sure wasent getting rich on those $50 and $75 stud fees. But for $40 you could go to a hunt and all day you could eat good food, enjoy the day events , socialize, and maybe win a big trophy if you was packing a meat dog.

Tar

Old Post 07-20-2020 12:24 AM