UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > It’s hot .
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

It’s hot .

Here in North Mississippi it’s been mid nineties an heat index, well am sure I don’t have to explain myself. It’s hot.Call me a sissy, after work, garden work an still mid eighties at midnight. I find it hard to leave the A/C. Someone please convince me if I don’t hunt in this heat my dogs will be culls. Don’t be to hard, am fragile

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-20-2020 02:31 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Sgraves

I found out many years ago that you do not have to summer hunt to keep your dogs treeing coons. I usually quit hunting when the season goes out on March 10 in Virginia and do not start back until the Fall hunting season. Other than the dogs and myself getting out if shape, I do not lose anything by not summer hunting, a quick tune up in Fall and everything falls right back in place. Training pups in the fall and winter works just as good as summer hunting, it's much easier to see their mistakes and their success. Dave

Old Post 07-20-2020 02:57 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Re: Sgraves

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I found out many years ago that you do not have to summer hunt to keep your dogs treeing coons. I usually quit hunting when the season goes out on March 10 in Virginia and do not start back until the Fall hunting season. Other than the dogs and myself getting out if shape, I do not lose anything by not summer hunting, a quick tune up in Fall and everything falls right back in place. Training pups in the fall and winter works just as good as summer hunting, it's much easier to see their mistakes and their success. Dave
Thank you,I feel better now. I was thinking my way of thinking was in vein or I am just lazy. 😂😂When my mutt bawls on tree instead of chops it’s to hot. That’s my excuse

Old Post 07-20-2020 03:10 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Unless you plan on hitting any hunts in this heat then they need to be in shape and conditioned for it. Stay safe out there everyone it is hot and miserable especially in the woods with no air moving!
If you don't want to hunt or hunt as much you can help keep them in a better shape than just laying the dogs up all summer by swimming them. We do long leashes off a short creek bank back and forth. It does help.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-20-2020 04:38 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Sgraves

I assumed you were not competition hunting, but just pleasure hunting. When I competition hunted I had to hunt in the summer months to keep my dogs conditioned to the heat, as most hunts were in the summer time. Outside of competition hunting I see NO VALUE in summer hunting, my dogs are inside a covered shed all kennels are inside and they burn up in this heat, even though the temperature is a lot cooler inside. I hate hunting in snakes, poison ivy, oak, mosquitoes, dense underbrush and all the other negative things about summer hunting. Coon hunting should be a pleasure and summer hunting is definitely no pleasure to me as I have gotten older. Dave

Old Post 07-20-2020 05:00 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

We down to one hunt per month now. The corn around here is ready an the coon is hitting it pretty good. The humidity is what makes it so miserable here. The rope on the dog in the water sounds like a plan to me. As long as I can get in the water with him

Old Post 07-20-2020 11:24 AM
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

I live about forty miles southwest of San Antonio Tx. A week ago Saturday it was 106 degrees. It was 90 at 11:00 pm. We managed to tree a coon. Last Monday it was 109,Tuesday it was 108. Down here if you don't hunt in hot weather you ain't gonna hunt much. Deer season starts on 1st of October and it ends on 1st of February . Unless you are really lucky you're not going to find a place to hunt during deer season . Doesn't leave much cool weather to hunt in

Old Post 07-20-2020 08:16 PM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrockM
UKC Forum Member

Heat and weeds don’t bother me much. Hard part for me is it not getting dark until 9:30. My 13 month old will tree by himself but is lacking confidence on tree. Likes to run track and then quit and come in cause he can’t finish it. Been hunting him by himself. Getting frustrating but trying to hunt him twice a week with hopes he will put it all together. Maybe I need to put him up for a while not sure. Will not mention breed don’t need to start that war.

Support a youth hunter. They are the future of our sport.

Old Post 07-21-2020 12:45 AM
BrockM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BrockM Click here to Send BrockM a Private Message Click Here to Email BrockM Find more posts by BrockM Add BrockM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

I’m hunting about 5or 6 nights a week. I’m not sure the dogs are benefiting from it other than staying in shape. I pretty much only pleasure hunt. Seems everyone’s dogs are struggling down here in south central Oklahoma lately. I’ve never seen so much track wallering, tree tapping, and missing coon.

Old Post 07-21-2020 01:06 AM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Shoot, the skeeters are not flying around here at night it’s so hot. No breeze, just dead still.

Old Post 07-21-2020 02:23 AM
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Too Hot!!!

It' s been 90 to 100 pretty much all the time here. And, the ground is powder dry.

I've turned loose a few times in the morning when I didn't have work that day. First time I've done that in many, many years.

Old Post 07-21-2020 02:36 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

I've been waiting til 3am to turn my hounds lose and hunting til day light it seems to be working out real good, have been treeing alot of coons. The coons seem to be stirring later because that's when its alot cooler.

Old Post 07-21-2020 04:19 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hot

Done something tonight that I have not done in several years and that was going coon hunting on a HOT SUMMER NIGHT. My hunting partner and I just bought a really nice younger brother to his good dog and He wanted me to go and see how our NEW DOG operated. The dog done really good, good mouth and hard chop mouth tree dog. I enjoyed listening to him use that big bawl mouth on track and roll into a hard chop on the tree, looked at 3 coons and called it a night. Wet to the bone with sweat, mosquitoes buzzing me all night, weeds and under brush tall as your head, all these things reminded me why I HATE summer hunting. I told my hunting buddy who owns half of the new dog that I was satisfied with our purchase, but I was through until Fall and things cooled down. I love those crisp FALL NIGHTS in the woods listening to s good coon dog operate, even enjoy the Winter months, but NO Summer hunting for me. Lol. Dave

Old Post 07-21-2020 06:37 AM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Mine is going on the treadmill today.. Me and him both need it!

Old Post 07-21-2020 02:29 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote