UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Correcting your Dog and Maintaining Trust
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Correcting your Dog and Maintaining Trust

I think the best way to correct the dog is to first teach or convey to the dog that it is not really him that is bad...that it is his behavior that is unacceptable...this way the dog starts to understand that his behavior is is unacceptable and over a few times of repetition he learns...

When the dog understands it is his behavior and not him he will accept correction and not be afraid of you...

I can get on my dogs and they won’t run away from me but come looking for forgiveness...if they are afraid of me then I am doing something wrong... I am talking about well socialized dogs and not shy dogs...

After a while we figure out how much discipline a dog needs or can take to be effective...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-12-2019 04:05 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rueben

Good post, smart correction is what counts, but having dogs that trust you as their boss is the key. Every dog is different, just like every kid is different, what works best for one may not be the best for another. Knowing your dogs and what works with each is the first step. I have dogs that can be corrected by voice, and some a little hard headed that need stronger correction. I will never physically abuse a dog, if they are to stupid or hard headed, I won't keep them. I already know that if they are my kind of dog, they learn quick, I have seen to many that once or twice being corrected was enough that I don't want one that just won't learn. I am not a dog trainer, but I do polish them when needed. Dave

Old Post 11-12-2019 04:22 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I have had 2 dogs in 70 yrs that would take and understand correction. They would not put up with abuse, they would let you know when enough was enough. I have had 2 dogs that knew me better than my wife. I told them they were wrong and they understood, and quit doing what they were doing.

Old Post 11-12-2019 04:19 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Work on one thing at a time with consistancy and not to harshly. Dogs are by nature forgiving loving creatures who can aim to please you. Many very nice pups and young dogs are completely ruined by men who think they doing things right but in frustration they expect perfection by an animal that in dog years is a mere toddler or at best a young child.
I have came to learn that there are those good with young pups and at getting them started, there are those that are good at getting young dogs on there way to making a nice one and there are those good at putting the finishing touch on those to make a nice finished dog. Very few are good at all the above of taking one from start to finish. It takes more patience, know how and dedication than many are able to do with the consistency needed.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-12-2019 07:39 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jen Cummings

Your post was very accurate and describes what I have seen in over 50 years of coon hunting. I have not seen many who excelled in taking a dog from pup to top coon dog. I have seen as you described men who were good at starting pups, men who were good at getting a started pup going good and men who were good at putting the finishing touches on good young dogs, but just a couple who could do it all. I believe it is more of a choice than anything, some just enjoy doing certain things with a dog. I know that I have no interest in starting pups, or working young dogs, but I do like polishing a good dog , or tuning them to suit myself. I definitely don't consider myself a dog trainer, but have fine tuned a few good dogs over the years. I have much respect for those who can take a dog from a pup to a top coon dog, it takes a ton if work. Dave

Old Post 11-12-2019 08:29 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Mauney
UKC Forum Member

Ditto

Jen and Dave you are spot on. I to have 50 years of experience. And fall in the same category as Dave as far as what I like to do with a hound Start to finish Trainors are few and far between.

Old Post 11-13-2019 02:25 PM
Ed Mauney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Mauney Click here to Send Ed Mauney a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Mauney Find more posts by Ed Mauney Add Ed Mauney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

New Research

Haven't you guys heard the new research? Scolding a dog can hurt its feelings, and impede its learning process. We are supposed to only use positive reinforcement for training.

I am pretty sure this only positive reinforcement fad was the new and improved parenting design used on many Millennials. Look where that got us?

Personally, I start teaching puppies what NO means at the food dish. Then I follow the consistency rule. Not just when I am made, but each and every time. A smart dog only needs to understand what NO means.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 11-13-2019 06:15 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote