UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coonhounds or Competition Winners
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Feb 2018
Location:
Posts: 121

I will be honest with you though Iíve Hunted at every level and have been lucky enough to have a little bit of success and I can honestly say that these hot nosed ambush type dogs are truly the minority. Some good friends of mine learned that the hard way at the world hunt. They learned that those dead loners could tree them like squirrels all around them if they needed to.
Sometimes I wonder what you guys are talking about when you talk about good track dogs. I think of one that every track it strikes is ran like itís running junk even on those cold frosty nights. I wouldnít own one that consistently spent an hour or more trailing or even 30 minutes for that matter. If they are consistently spending that much time on the ground they arenít good cold nose track dogs they are just to ignorant to get it up and drive it.

__________________
GRNITE CH PKC CH CHKC CROSSBREED WORLD CHAMPION 2018 UKC WORLD HUNT 5th place Finisher MAFIAíS FANG SLINGING DEMON
Be Phenomenal or Be Forgotten

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Last edited by Team Mafia 2 on 12-14-2019 at 06:21 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-14-2019 06:18 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Freeport,TX
Posts: 931

Re: Real coon dog

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Just for the record, every dog that I have ever seen, owned or hunted with that I called a top coon dog or "real" coon dog was just as good at competition hunting as they were pleasure hunting. I have seen lots of dogs that were either goid competition dogs or pleasure hunting dogs, but not both. A real coon dog is both, makes NO difference to them whether it's competition or pleasure hunting, they perform at a higher level at all times. Dalton, your post was spot on, makes NO difference what the other dogs do to a real coon dog. Dave


That is the truth...great dogs should be great competition dogs and great pleasure hounds...and great dogs donít have bad hunts...

__________________
Training dogs is not so much about quantity, it's more about timing, and the right situations...After that it's up to the dog....A hunting dog is born...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-14-2019 01:21 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Freeport,TX
Posts: 931

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
A lot of dogs can tree a coon but just because a dog consistently trees coons doesnít make it in any way shape or form a coon dog. Iíve hunted with literally hundreds of dogs that consistently treed coons that were common as green grass in the summertime. A coon dog can be cut loose with 10 dogs 5 strike a deer and run it through the country and the other 5 tree every possum in the woods and Mr coon dog will be sunk through the country with a ricky above him. They have to be 100% indifferent to all of the nonsense thatís going on around them. Everyone claims to have a coon dog but they would quickly learn different under the circumstances Iíve listed above. Also a coon dog will NEVER have a bad night. They may have a bad drop but never a bad night. Even on there bad drops you can still see the superiority to the dogs around them.


I agree with your logic...but just because a dog treed possums or ran deer does not make him a no count dog...
Once this dog is made into a straight coon dog it might be the best coondog you ever saw...I say look for potential as well...

__________________
Training dogs is not so much about quantity, it's more about timing, and the right situations...After that it's up to the dog....A hunting dog is born...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-14-2019 01:26 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Feb 2012
Location: airville,pa
Posts: 1721

X2 what Dalton said

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-14-2019 01:45 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Feb 2015
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 699

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
A lot of dogs can tree a coon but just because a dog consistently trees coons doesnít make it in any way shape or form a coon dog. Iíve hunted with literally hundreds of dogs that consistently treed coons that were common as green grass in the summertime. A coon dog can be cut loose with 10 dogs 5 strike a deer and run it through the country and the other 5 tree every possum in the woods and Mr coon dog will be sunk through the country with a ricky above him. They have to be 100% indifferent to all of the nonsense thatís going on around them. Everyone claims to have a coon dog but they would quickly learn different under the circumstances Iíve listed above. Also a coon dog will NEVER have a bad night. They may have a bad drop but never a bad night. Even on there bad drops you can still see the superiority to the dogs around them.


Dalton what you posted reminded me of something. I had a B&T dog that just didn't have much hunt. Could tree a coon and look good but just didn't hunt much. But I had a young dog that would run a deer and that B&T would follow along about way behind and tree several coon while the young dog ran a deer. Best thing that could happen to that B&T was to have something run a deer. But he sure wasn't a coon dog. The kind you are talking about are few and far between per my experience.

__________________
Tom Wood

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-14-2019 03:56 PM
Preacher Tom is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Posts: 17919

When it gets to where 2 or 3 of the dogs in a cast tree coons all by themselves, then you have to have a dog that also gets first strike every time and doesnt fool with a den tree. Is that a coon dog?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-15-2019 01:50 PM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: north ala.
Posts: 620

What do you mean doesn't fool with a den tree?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-15-2019 02:05 PM
2ol2hunt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Posts: 17919

They only tree hot tracks that they run up on so they never trail a coon to its den.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-15-2019 02:22 PM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: north ala.
Posts: 620

Got ya

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-15-2019 02:29 PM
2ol2hunt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Jan 2013
Location: Marietta
Posts: 9810

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
They only tree hot tracks that they run up on so they never trail a coon to its den.




Bark from your feet but maybe in all reality a 50 yard coon race.


Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-15-2019 02:30 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Dec 2013
Location: Nichols Ny
Posts: 1330

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
They only tree hot tracks that they run up on so they never trail a coon to its den.



I've seen a few that rarely ever treed dens and could trail a coon better than most. But they aren't common.

__________________
Eric DePue

PKC CH Wax's Late Night Boom
And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-15-2019 11:31 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Clarksville, AR
Posts: 963

I've gotten where I can hunt most any style of dog and appreciate what it does, so long as it does it well. I can enjoy a trailing dog, so long as he goes the right way and doesn't trail in one acre all night. And I can appreciate a hot nosed, sail through the country type dog, so long as he produces coons and has some "chrome" when he does it. I absolutely can't stand a hitchhiker, a babbler, or a lunatic I cant depend on.
I think winners can be pleasurable to hunt, and pleasure dogs can be winners. But I think there are alot of dogs that get called "pleasure dogs" because they just aren't much good, and there are "competition dogs" with glaring holes and weaknesses, that are being exploited because the rules encourage their faults.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-15-2019 11:45 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Jan 2013
Location: Marietta
Posts: 9810

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
I've gotten where I can hunt most any style of dog and appreciate what it does, so long as it does it well. I can enjoy a trailing dog, so long as he goes the right way and doesn't trail in one acre all night. And I can appreciate a hot nosed, sail through the country type dog, so long as he produces coons and has some "chrome" when he does it. I absolutely can't stand a hitchhiker, a babbler, or a lunatic I cant depend on.
I think winners can be pleasurable to hunt, and pleasure dogs can be winners. But I think there are alot of dogs that get called "pleasure dogs" because they just aren't much good, and there are "competition dogs" with glaring holes and weaknesses, that are being exploited because the rules encourage their faults.




Canít argue with that x2.


Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-15-2019 11:56 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: north ala.
Posts: 620

X3

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2019 12:03 AM
2ol2hunt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Monticello, Wi
Posts: 594

Outstanding Hounds, Pleasure or Competition

I agree with Cory. I'm not a competition hunter but have competition hunted. My Penney won the Grandmasters in 2015. The reason that I competition hunted was to locate a better dog than Penney to breed her too and not to win. The winning was bitter sweet because I never located a better dog while competition hunting.
There never has been very many truly outstanding dogs in pleasure or competition hunting. My definition of an outstanding dog is a first and first because of ability and does not have to be a loner to be first because they are always in the lead.
The real mark of an outstanding hound is that they are consistent and are not affected by where you hunt them or what the weather is!
They might not look outstanding on a given track, but they will still be better than what they are hunting with.
They will be minus for babbling trashing when they aren't.
I spent over 60 years looking for them and they are where you find them, pleasure or competition. I have more fingers than what I have hunted with in my life.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2019 02:16 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Nov 2011
Location: Freeport,TX
Posts: 931

Re: Outstanding Hounds, Pleasure or Competition

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
I agree with Cory. I'm not a competition hunter but have competition hunted. My Penney won the Grandmasters in 2015. The reason that I competition hunted was to locate a better dog than Penney to breed her too and not to win. The winning was bitter sweet because I never located a better dog while competition hunting.
There never has been very many truly outstanding dogs in pleasure or competition hunting. My definition of an outstanding dog is a first and first because of ability and does not have to be a loner to be first because they are always in the lead.
The real mark of an outstanding hound is that they are consistent and are not affected by where you hunt them or what the weather is!
They might not look outstanding on a given track, but they will still be better than what they are hunting with.
They will be minus for babbling trashing when they aren't.
I spent over 60 years looking for them and they are where you find them, pleasure or competition. I have more fingers than what I have hunted with in my life.



Yes sir...great hunting dogs donít have bad days...but some days better than others...

__________________
Training dogs is not so much about quantity, it's more about timing, and the right situations...After that it's up to the dog....A hunting dog is born...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2019 02:20 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Apr 2014
Location: batsville ark
Posts: 1050

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
When it gets to where 2 or 3 of the dogs in a cast tree coons all by themselves, then you have to have a dog that also gets first strike every time and doesnt fool with a den tree. Is that a coon dog?
no they are just a larger framed rat terroir .lol

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2019 02:32 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Apr 2015
Location: church hill tn
Posts: 3717

KlerKry

Ken, I know that you know what a real coondog is, Penny sure fits that definition. I too know what a real coondog is and just like you I can count on my fingers the real coon dogs I have seen and hunted with and have several fingers left. The higher your standards the fewer coon dogs one will see in their lifetime, but owning and hunting a real coon dog is something you never forget. Lots of dogs tree coons but very few ever really own the title of COONDOG. Dave

__________________
Dave Richards Treeing Walkers Reg American Saddlebred and Registered Rocky Mt. Show Horses

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2019 02:52 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Dec 2013
Location: Nichols Ny
Posts: 1330

Re: KlerKry

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Ken, I know that you know what a real coondog is, Penny sure fits that definition. I too know what a real coondog is and just like you I can count on my fingers the real coon dogs I have seen and hunted with and have several fingers left. The higher your standards the fewer coon dogs one will see in their lifetime, but owning and hunting a real coon dog is something you never forget. Lots of dogs tree coons but very few ever really own the title of COONDOG. Dave


Dave,
I see it like this, there's many coonhounds out there that tree coons but not many COONDAWGS.

__________________
Eric DePue

PKC CH Wax's Late Night Boom
And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2019 03:54 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Apr 2015
Location: church hill tn
Posts: 3717

Eric DePue

Unfortunately, that is the case, I just buried a coondawg, only one of 3 that I have ever owned. Now, I have owned and hunted a bunch of decent coon dogs, but they were lacking that special something that defined them as coondawg. Dave

__________________
Dave Richards Treeing Walkers Reg American Saddlebred and Registered Rocky Mt. Show Horses

Last edited by Dave Richards on 12-16-2019 at 04:18 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2019 04:11 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Registered: Dec 2013
Location: Nichols Ny
Posts: 1330

Re: Eric DePue

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Unfortunately, that is the case, I just buried a coondawg, only one of 3 that I have ever owned. Now, I have owned and hunted a bunch of decent coon dogs, but they were lacking that special something that defined them as coondawg. Dave



Yes sir my case in point.

Seems everyone thinks they know what a coondawg is but very very few seem to have them. I've seen them but didn't own them and I have a decent dog. But decent and coondawg are 2 totally different worlds. The dogs that I've seen that were coondawgs could tree any type of coon, whether it was a hard runner, layup, cold feeder track. It just didn't seem to phase them what type of coon track it was. And they very seldom treed dens or slicks except for a 2 week period. Which we just started that time period here. Its cold, snowy, and wet. And its before the rut here. So it can get tough to tree coons here.

__________________
Eric DePue

PKC CH Wax's Late Night Boom
And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2019 12:40 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:03 AM. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread


Forum Jump:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON
 
< Contact Us - United Kennel Club >

Copyright 2003-2020, United Kennel Club
Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.3.0
(vBulletin courtesy Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.)