UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Lets Bring the Mirror Back into the Conversation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Lets Bring the Mirror Back into the Conversation.

I saw a question over on Facebook asking about what top hounds have beat you in competition hunts. My mind immediately went to the fact they didn't have to be top hounds to beat me and my dogs. I have lost to every imaginable type of hound. Buts that's OK. I am one of the few that just enjoyed and was Thankful for being there. Being a part of something I believed in.

As you are preparing your dogs. It is important to prepare yourself. Prepare yourself to be able to look into the MIRROR at the end of the night and see someone you like. Not a cheat, not a crybaby, but an honest person that enjoys coon hounds. Also not a person that gives the cast away to cheats and crybabies. That takes a lot of work, just like it takes a lot of work to shape that good dog. Shape yourself into a person that you can live with when looking into the MIRROR and also a person that stood up for his dog and didn't give his dog a bad name in doing so.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-19-2019 12:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Good post Bruce, and what you're saying is true in all aspects of life and society, not just coondogs and coonhunters. Seems to me that personal accountability has become a truly uncommon virtue in our society as a whole, and we suffer the consequences accordingly.

As a dad that's pretty involved in a lot of kid sports, I see more than my share of responsibility deflection, placing blame, and an inability/reluctance (from both kids and parents) to acknowledge faults and shortcomings. Its a rare individual these days that can look in the mirror, really see what's there, and come up with a way to improve it if necessary.

Old Post 08-19-2019 02:20 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Lets Bring the Mirror Back into the Conversation.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
........ But that's OK. I am one of the few that just enjoyed and was Thankful for being there, being a part of something I believed in....
As you are preparing your dogs. It is important to prepare yourself.......

Are there really that few? I hope not. But handlers do have to train themselves, both mentally and physically, just as they train their dogs. A lot of times we forget about ourselves and only worry about our dogs. Competition coonhunting is a sport, both dogs and handlers are athletes. Does anyone remember their high school football days and August 2 adays? They were sure tuff, but I still looked forward to them. Well, it is that time.

Old Post 08-19-2019 02:39 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Frankly, Bruce I am against mirrors! Every time I am around a mirror there is this old guy I don't recognize. So put me down as not a fan of mirrors. As for losing, I still do that as well as when I was a young man.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 08-19-2019 06:02 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote