UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Silent dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Silent dog

Just wondering what your opinion of a silent track dog is. Not talking about whether they should be in competition but do you/would you hunt one. Also are there two types: one that really just ambushes coon and one that really works a track and then trees the coon? Please don't make this about competition rules just what do you like.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-14-2019 02:48 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I like 'em. Just a personal deal I guess, but I never enjoyed one barking all over the woods any more than I did barking in the box, or barking in the pen.
I don't necessarily hate an open trailer, long as they don't have any babble in them and they're going somewhere soon as they open.

As far as trailing ability, I haven't ever seen any correlation between trailing and opening. While it does seem like some silent dogs are hot nosed, I think the same could be said for most dogs across the board these days. I've seen a few silent dogs that I felt like went sailing through the world looking for layups and ambushes, but I've seen that in rattle heads as well.

One attribute I've seen to be more prevalent in silent dogs (again, just my experience) is that they just seem smarter.

Last edited by Cory Highfill on 07-14-2019 at 03:43 AM

Old Post 07-14-2019 03:40 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

I will tolerate a partially silent dog if it open on track on at least 70% of it's tracks. I will not keep a dog that is 70 percent silent.

I like to know when a dog strikes a track. I then like to see how skilled they are at unraveling a track, I like to judge that skill by the how fast they move from point A, where they first opened to point B, where they are now on the track, when they open again. I like to hear the different intensities of the bark, from what they sound like when the are trailing a cold track, to what they sound like when they are running to catch so to speak.

Half the fun of coon hunting for me is hearing the dog work the track, the other half is hearing the locate, and that steady pounding at the tree that only comes from building that trust in that hound that I will be at that tree, no matter what the obstacle may be.

There is just something in it for me that sooth's my soul when I gain that trust in that hound that it can tree most any track it comes across, and to watch that hound trust me as well that I will be there no matter what, to praise him/her for a job well done.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 07-14-2019 03:50 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Silent dog

I love a real good silent coondog, they are a pleasure to hunt. I enjoy listening to a dog open on track, but I like hearing them tree the most. A real good silent coondog to me is the most fun of any dogs. You know when you hear them open that they are treed and that's what I want to hear the most, a dog treed. Dave

Old Post 07-14-2019 03:52 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

I’ve had one, she wouldn’t make a peep until she was at the tree. Only heard her open twice on the ground and I’m guessing that those tracks were red hot. She never missed, ever. She was a quirky little dog. Quit hunting her and got rid of her. Regret it still. I didn’t have any sort of tracking equipment then, made it a pain to find her at times.

Dog I “upgraded” to gave the perfect amount of mouth for me. Honest strike and would let you know where she was, not too much mouth but just right for me. Dog was a deer running hard hunting knuckle head who was only 60 percent accurate at most. If this dog was silent she would have culled herself the first time I turned her out.

With that said I don’t what it is about a silent dog but in my experience they seem to be more accurate. I couldn’t tell you why. But she had coons sleeping on limbs and also saw them still trying to make it to the top when I got there. But I love to hear a dog work a track hunting alone it sure is boring waiting around for a silent dog to put one up. I feel like a part of the hunt when I hear the track progress. If I could have made one dog out of the two I would have a what I would consider a coon dog.

I would hunt a silent dog, but will never go out of my way to find one.

Old Post 07-14-2019 04:07 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Love'em....I too go to hear dogs tree!

Old Post 07-14-2019 04:07 AM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

i dont care a thing about a dog opening up on track, ive hunted all kinds and ive seen a lot more coons with a silent dog then with a dog barking on track telling the coon iam going to get you lol.i hunt in the mountains and gulfs mostly and and you wont see as many coons with a open mouth dog as u will a still mouth dog.

Old Post 07-14-2019 11:59 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

I know I'm old school and I love a good locate and hear a good treedog but more so I love to hear a good race. Any mutt can ambush a coon and tree it but a good open mouth trackdog on a smart running coon tells me about the dog. I admit a silent dog will generally show you more coons and back in the 70's and 80"s when hides were at a premium silent dogs we at a premium also. But I sure can tell a lot more about the dog if it opens and to me the race is just as pretty music as the tree.

Old Post 07-14-2019 02:32 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robgregory
UKC Forum Member

I had one,

she was Rocky bred. Out of Nat Powell's stock. Red Cloud to be exact. I sold her to a guy in North Carolina. I knew I screwed up when I drove away. I cried like a baby. That gypsy thought the sun rose and set on my butt and I was too stupid to realize it until the deal wasdone.Rob

home#- 540-925-4437
cell#-757-339-3454
Home of:
"PR"High Lonesome Hannah. Nt.Ch. Hardtime Miss Kitty's Cat

Old Post 07-14-2019 02:35 PM
robgregory is offline Click Here to See the Profile for robgregory Click here to Send robgregory a Private Message Find more posts by robgregory Add robgregory to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I love an open drifting type track dog I have owned two that were pretty tight drifting type dogs not silent but tight. One thing you find out is how many mee too dogs you got on the cast they don’t look near as good if your dog ain’t barking enough for them to back pack on them.

Tar

Old Post 07-14-2019 02:39 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have had both silent and open track dogs. I enjoyed both. Life would be boring if all was the same.
Best I have enjoyed was a couple dogs that changed back and forth over there life time. Silent for awhile then becoming an open track dog later or the opposite open to silent.

Old Post 07-14-2019 02:51 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

I have never understood the appeal of a silent dog. Give me a track drifting open dog with a hair stand up on the back of your neck locate with the meat and I'm a happy camper. As soon as you say silent, I think meat hunter. The reason I keep in hounds is to watch or listen to the dog work rather it be my beagles or cooner.

Old Post 07-14-2019 04:05 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by micooner
I have never understood the appeal of a silent dog. Give me a track drifting open dog with a hair stand up on the back of your neck locate with the meat and I'm a happy camper. As soon as you say silent, I think meat hunter. The reason I keep in hounds is to watch or listen to the dog work rather it be my beagles or cooner.

Well, I guess I am a meat hunter. I clean every coon that I catch rather than throw them in a ditch like most folks around here.

Old Post 07-14-2019 04:54 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Dog I'm hunting now is too tight for my liking. Opens decent in company but alone other then a couple barks now and again on a running track he's as close to silent as I've owned. He's hot nosed too when he parks load the gun but he just don't make enough trees in my country to suit me. I need a track dog.

Old Post 07-14-2019 05:38 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I don't like a silent dog. I like to hear them open on track. I won't hunt a silent dog.

Old Post 07-14-2019 05:48 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. I have not owned one myself. My brother had a young dog that started out open and then was nearly silent. He would tree coon ahead of the other dogs quite a bit. One advantage the silent dog has is since he doesn't open he never starts tracks he can't finish (at least you never know that he does) where the open dog puts his reputation on the line very time he opens on a track. So the silent dog might seem better without being better.

Old Post 07-14-2019 07:45 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Silent dog!!!

Personally, hate them. Love to hear them come on a tree, BUT I want to hear them GET TO WHERE THEY ARE GOING. Even though I hunt blueticks, I have had 3 silent ones in last 5 yrs. & have heard of many more around country & they haven't stayed here for a year. Last 1 I sold was just made NTCH., & the guy that has her made her GRNT & made it thru zones to UKC finals last year. Only thing I will say in their honor, or hers, is that when they tree, they usually get treed with coon over their head.

GRNT Spartan dog I had few years ago was just the opposite- opened way TOO much on ground getting where he wanted to go, BUT when he treed, he showed you a coon.

The ones in the middle are the ones I prefer. Open just enough to know where their going, but not to much to suck everything else along. you guys can joke all ya want about our breed opening too much, too slow on track, but I've seen several blue dogs lately that were silent & don't really understand where they're all coming from. JMO. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 07-14-2019 08:35 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Silent dogs

A dog being silent on track does not mean it's a good coondog anymore than one that opens on track. There are few really top coondogs both open and silent combined. I love a top coondog open or silent on track. I have mostly open dogs, but do have one that's mostly silent on track. Yes, I enjoy hearing a good track dog work up a track and tree, but I also, like a real good silent dog, knowing when it opens it is treed. If I only liked hearing digs run a track, I would have foxhounds. I enjoy hearing dogs treed from coondogs to squirrel dogs, it's treeing that really excites me, to each his own. Dave

Old Post 07-14-2019 09:25 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I've never been a fan of a silent dog. I have one now that trees plenty coons and is very accurate and I don't hunt her very often because she's silent.

Old Post 07-15-2019 01:19 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Shadinc

You should do the dog a service and sell it to someone that likes silent dogs and will hunt it. No need of the dog wasting in a pen. Dave

Old Post 07-15-2019 02:59 AM