UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 2 year old quit treeing
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
FF5044
UKC Forum Member

2 year old quit treeing

My 2 year old Black and Tan was coming on strong, got his first cast win. Would tree a coon on just about every night while pleasure hunting and I would shoot a coon out to him every couple weeks. Lately he’s just started running track for hours and not treeing. Twice with other dogs he’s located on a hot track but kept on moving and the other dogs have fell treed where he located and we found the coon. Tonight he tapped a + tree and then left and started tracking out through a wide open hay field. I’m about at my wits end with this dog, any help would be greatly appreciated. Last ukc hunt he ran a track for 2 hours and never treed. On a good note, he won’t mess with a possum or deer.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-05-2019 05:19 AM
FF5044 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FF5044 Click here to Send FF5044 a Private Message Find more posts by FF5044 Add FF5044 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Get him to your vet and get him checked for Ehrlicosis. It's a tick transmitted disease.

Old Post 08-05-2019 11:50 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shepherd_
UKC Forum Member

I agree. I would also like to know what the vet finds out.

NITE CH 'PR' FLINT STICK II.

Old Post 08-05-2019 03:44 PM
Shepherd_ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shepherd_ Click here to Send Shepherd_ a Private Message Click Here to Email Shepherd_ Find more posts by Shepherd_ Add Shepherd_ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

And check his ears.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-05-2019 05:27 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
And check his ears.

Good point!

Old Post 08-05-2019 05:33 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

check the ears it bothers them to bark up

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 08-05-2019 05:34 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FF5044
UKC Forum Member

I’ll get him in at the vet but in the mean time what would you all recommend for his ears?

Old Post 08-05-2019 06:43 PM
FF5044 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FF5044 Click here to Send FF5044 a Private Message Find more posts by FF5044 Add FF5044 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Is it shaking it’s head when it tries to bark. If so , it is probably ear mites. Go to your local farm supply store an get some ear mite lotion. If it’s down deep I normally give a couple cc of penacillium . It works for me. Get it to the vet soon though.

Old Post 08-05-2019 07:21 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freakyone
Banned

Re: 2 year old quit treeing

quote:
Originally posted by FF5044
. On a good note, he won’t mess with a possum or deer.
This dog has your number thats for sure!

Old Post 08-05-2019 11:59 PM
freakyone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freakyone Click here to Send freakyone a Private Message Click Here to Email freakyone Find more posts by freakyone Add freakyone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
I’ll get him in at the vet but in the mean time what would you all recommend for his ears?

Look inside and report back to me. There are mainly three types of ear infections some can be going on at the same time. Bacterial, fungal and mites. Mites ears will have coffee granual looking stuff in them, ivomec or permethrin will kill them. Bacterial and fungal can both be present with mites or alone. Fungal is treated with miconazole and bacterial with antibiotics. Either one will usually have red inflamed skin and sometimes runny discharge. The vet can swab to check.
Most antibiotics you can buy at your feed store as fish mox, it is the same amoxicillin you and I take or your vet would prescribe. Miconazole is found in athletes foot and female yeast infections medications both which can be bought over the counter.
Clean ears throughly with a soft cloth before any treatment.
Dogs on tick and flea meds like Nexgard or Simplica should not have mites as it kills them too. If your dog does have earmites you also need to treat it's surroundings. Remove any old bedding and spray with permethrin.
*when our dogs get to just running to much and not making many trees it is allergy related. And we will notice red irritation arounf the eyes along with discharge and typically sneezing. We've had them even develope sinus infections from it. Over the counter meds like zyrtec work magic but we've also had to get a couple of them shots over the years. Depo-medrol is usually the drug of choice.
A good vet check will help you get to the bottom just incase something more serious is going on.
Good luck and keep us posted,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-06-2019 12:28 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FF5044
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the info, I can’t post pictures i here but his ears are very dirty, coffee ground color for sure but not necessarily the same consistency, it’s more waxy with an odor.

Old Post 08-06-2019 02:53 AM
FF5044
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the info, I can’t post pictures i here but his ears are very dirty, coffee ground color for sure but not necessarily the same consistency, it’s more waxy with an odor.

Old Post 08-06-2019 02:53 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Sending you a pm.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-06-2019 03:42 AM
T.Beyer
UKC Forum Member

Are there Bobcat in your area?

In Honor of Jim Sizemore, " This ain't no benchshow!"

Old Post 08-06-2019 04:03 AM
T.Beyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T.Beyer Click here to Send T.Beyer a Private Message Click Here to Email T.Beyer Find more posts by T.Beyer Add T.Beyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FF5044
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by T.Beyer

Yes, quite a few

Old Post 08-06-2019 08:11 AM
T.Beyer
UKC Forum Member

That could be an issue aw well. Seen it a few times and it was just as you described.

In Honor of Jim Sizemore, " This ain't no benchshow!"

Old Post 08-14-2019 12:16 AM
T.Beyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T.Beyer Click here to Send T.Beyer a Private Message Click Here to Email T.Beyer Find more posts by T.Beyer Add T.Beyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FF5044
UKC Forum Member

Update

So I have a little update. I cleaned cleaned his ears and have been treating with otc treatment for the mites and switched back to victor food. Been on the new food and ear remedy since I made this thread and last night he treed twice. Could be coincidence or maybe something I did made the difference. One was a den and one was big circle but either way I’m just happy to see him back to bellying up and treeing!

Old Post 08-14-2019 12:56 PM
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by T.Beyer

Or Grey Fox ??

Old Post 08-14-2019 09:56 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Update

quote:
So I have a little update. I cleaned cleaned his ears and have been treating with otc treatment for the mites and switched back to victor food. Been on the new food and ear remedy since I made this thread and last night he treed twice. Could be coincidence or maybe something I did made the difference. One was a den and one was big circle but either way I’m just happy to see him back to bellying up and treeing!

Good deal, sometimes it is the simple solutions.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-15-2019 12:33 AM