UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What's your definition of a truly good, open, cold trailing hound?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cold nosed dog

The best way I have seen to test this, is when you have a dog that can run and I mean run a track that other dogs can not smell and tree that track and show you a coon. When dogs you know are pretty good coondogs can't smell the track and the dog runs and trees that track and shows you a coon, it must have a colder nose. Brains can't smell, it takes a nose to smell, ALL dogs are NOT equal in the nose department. One dog comes to mind , she would run and tree tracks that good dogs did not know existed and tree every track with a coon looking down, she was a registered walker dog and one of the best. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-03-2019 07:33 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Catch a coon and turn it straight out of the trap and bring your dog back an hour later. Most will be surprised at what they find out. Then again some dogs will cast way out deep and alone and tree a squirrel or just fall treed on nothing and those people still won’t know any more about a dog than they ever will.
Do it in different temperatures and weather and you’ll see there’s far more to trailing than meets the eye. The nose has far less to do with it than the mind. Today’s dogs don’t have the mindset for cold trailing, they are bred like us. Impatient and with short attention spans. Blame whatever you wish, but it’s a culmination of things all across the board. Competition rules have penalized cold trailers, loss of hunting area, our culture and the pace we live now, money incentives via titles and wins. And I’m sure I could name others.
There’s a reason serious big game hunters don’t use many competition bred coonhounds. No nose and slick treeing are at the top of every list I hear when talking to men all over the country.

Old Post 06-03-2019 08:04 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Just because a dog is barking doesn’t mean it is trailing. The kcs award 100 points for the dog hat barks first and he only has to bark every 8 minutes not to get minused and when he runs under ole hot pop up Ricky a mile or so he gets 125 tree points they say he is cold nosed what y’all think ?

Tar

Old Post 06-03-2019 08:22 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Just because a dog is barking doesn’t mean it is trailing. The kcs award 100 points for the dog hat barks first and he only has to bark every 8 minutes not to get minused and when he runs under ole hot pop up Ricky a mile or so he gets 125 tree points they say he is cold nosed what y’all think ?

Tar

I was at a hunt the other night. A good friend of mine drew out with a well known big money winner. He was so tickled he finally got the chance to hunt with him. I laugh , I said get ready to walk. They cut loose he struck in no sooner than the dog left their lights. He said a 45 min walk later he had a coon setting on the first limb. The coon on the first limb out in the wide open made him mad. I told him that dog has won thousands of dollars doing that. Real cold nose track dog, maybe, maybe not.By today’s standards he’s a winner.

Old Post 06-03-2019 09:22 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Ahhhhhhh it’s a game !! When I play monopoly I hide my money under the board to make everybody think I am broke then I buy up everything lol. These guys are playing a game because the rules allow it bravo , bravo !!

Tar

Old Post 06-03-2019 09:30 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Have another one for you Tar. I had two well know money winners on same cast one night. I knew I had to tree more coon to beat them. We each treed two coon a piece , they ended getting me on strick. One let his babbling stand out the other made it look good. What got me an made me laugh at the whole thing is them two were cut loose together, struck under min. They went 800 yards or so keeping their mouth open. Got to a gravel road , keeping their mouth open. One went left the other right. Both got treed little over 600 yds from each other. Both had a coon. The ones that can do it an make it look good the average man thanks them are some top notch hounds . Maybe they struck two coon, got to gravel road an split up. People will believe that over what really happened.

Old Post 06-03-2019 10:18 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

If you go to the big dance you are going to have to dance with the same big boys at every dance. They have dogs that fit the loopholes in the rules to a tee !! They make their living at coonhunting that good ole boy stuff is worth about 25 cents. If we get the rule changes we ask for they will adapt. But those rules that will work better in ukc because you have to see a coon and keep your points a good ole cold nosed track moving accurate coondog will prevail because he will no longer be handcuffed with their nonsense now that’s just an old doggies opinion that’s laying on the couch typing this lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-03-2019 10:29 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Every one talking about treeing a coon the other dogs can't smell. I have seen dogs that never tree kitten coons and other dogs that tree plenty of them. Does that make cold nosed dogs if they will tree kittens and hot nosed if they won't?

Old Post 06-03-2019 11:59 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Outstanding Cold Nosed Trackdogs

There have never been very many top track dogs. I have more fingers on one hand than I've seen in 60 years. They run a cold track with their head up that other dogs cant smell very well. The snow tells the story and they are able to run a straight line instead of a crooked feeding coon track. After the outstanding track dog trees a couple coon the LONERS become pack dogs on the outstanding track dog as they know one when they see one better than most hunters. Their owners all have the same problem! They cant find a dog of the same level of ability to breed them too. Ken Risley

Old Post 06-04-2019 01:02 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Outstanding Cold Nosed Trackdogs

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
There have never been very many top track dogs. I have more fingers on one hand than I've seen in 60 years. They run a cold track with their head up that other dogs cant smell very well. The snow tells the story and they are able to run a straight line instead of a crooked feeding coon track. After the outstanding track dog trees a couple coon the LONERS become pack dogs on the outstanding track dog as they know one when they see one better than most hunters. Their owners all have the same problem! They cant find a dog of the same level of ability to breed them too. Ken Risley

Good post. Spot on!! Stepping away from the coon hounds a moment. Some of you fellas in WI, MI, upstate NY, VT, NH, Maine, Canada, etc. may run snow shoe hare. If you do or have in the past you know that there are many who in the summer think they have quite a hare hound. When the snow is cold and dry and the temps are in the single digits and below O°F many of those wind splitters on bare ground can't run a hare for half a circle while a good harehound with what we refer to as a big nose can make it look like a summer run! Good cold nosed track dogs have never been plentiful. They've always been hard to find. But it seems to me that it is getting harder than ever. I lay a good percentage of that to many people scrambling to breed to titled dogs having never seen the hound perform even once.

Old Post 06-04-2019 02:00 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Not hard to see that Ken and Dan have been around the block a time or two!

Old Post 06-04-2019 03:55 AM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

Cold nose

Got a story for you guys me and Steve Wilson went over to Warren Arkansas one night for a comp hunt we was in a nitech cast we draw out 4 dogs we turn loose first drop sky strikes in 4 a 100 (wow that never happens ) well she gives me that bark and I nail her for 125 all the dogs are around her but never trees, side note I know Steve’s blue tick named Emma I no she trees coon been with her a lot pleasure hunting now , the judge ask me how far out she is at that time all I had was a beep beep collar I said about 250 give or take a few yards well the 5 is up we walk In the other 3 dogs is still in the area trying to figure out the track shine the tree coon is balled up asleep 225+ for sky now do y’all think she has cold nose layup type dog

Old Post 06-04-2019 04:55 AM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

BLOOD HOUND ,

Old Post 06-04-2019 10:43 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

a cold nose dog does not run a cold track with its head in the air unless we must have a different opinion of a cold track to me a cold track is covered by dry leaves in the fall and unless that dog puts its nose down and you can hear the leaves being shuffled between bawls your hunting a hot nose dog same goes for layups my hot nose walker treed many layups where as my old blue dog ran cold tracks two totally different styles both real coon treeing machines both are dead but will never be forgotten as they both were coon treeing machines i've owned many that could tree a coon but none compare to these 2 special hounds

Old Post 06-04-2019 12:47 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

Four dog cast about 30 minutes left in the hunt dog strikes for 100 the other three check her. Two never open and go the opposite direction, open for 75 and 50 and are making it sound good. Fourth dog finally opens once with the bawl mouth female after following her for a couple hundred yards. The first female is at 900 yards and still moving while the two that couldn't smell her track come treed at 300 the opposite direction. Slick. Fourth strike dog leaves the first female and comes in, he never smelled anything, he was just tracking ol bawl mouth. Well the ol girl comes treed at 1200 with the coon. Not any coon but the first one she opened on! A feed track that three dogs either couldn't or wouldn't work, at 1200 yards through creeks and laurel that we had to crawl through, with the coon. All in about 15 minutes track time, took us over an hour to get to her. Track dog.

Old Post 06-04-2019 02:04 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
Catch a coon and turn it straight out of the trap and bring your dog back an hour later. Most will be surprised at what they find out. Then again some dogs will cast way out deep and alone and tree a squirrel or just fall treed on nothing and those people still won’t know any more about a dog than they ever will.
Do it in different temperatures and weather and you’ll see there’s far more to trailing than meets the eye. The nose has far less to do with it than the mind. Today’s dogs don’t have the mindset for cold trailing, they are bred like us. Impatient and with short attention spans. Blame whatever you wish, but it’s a culmination of things all across the board. Competition rules have penalized cold trailers, loss of hunting area, our culture and the pace we live now, money incentives via titles and wins. And I’m sure I could name others.
There’s a reason serious big game hunters don’t use many competition bred coonhounds. No nose and slick treeing are at the top of every list I hear when talking to men all over the country.

I like what you said...

I also agree...it is a mindset of the dog that makes it want to follow a cold track or not...my opinion as well

Old Post 06-05-2019 02:55 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Outstanding Cold Nosed Trackdogs

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Good post. Spot on!! Stepping away from the coon hounds a moment. Some of you fellas in WI, MI, upstate NY, VT, NH, Maine, Canada, etc. may run snow shoe hare. If you do or have in the past you know that there are many who in the summer think they have quite a hare hound. When the snow is cold and dry and the temps are in the single digits and below O°F many of those wind splitters on bare ground can't run a hare for half a circle while a good harehound with what we refer to as a big nose can make it look like a summer run! Good cold nosed track dogs have never been plentiful. They've always been hard to find. But it seems to me that it is getting harder than ever. I lay a good percentage of that to many people scrambling to breed to titled dogs having never seen the hound perform even once.

I lay a good percentage of that to many people scrambling to breed to titled dogs having never seen the hound perform even once. [/B][/QUOTE]

It seems to me that it takes a certain type of hound to consistently win the hunts...the side effects are dogs looking for a hotter track and the dog appears to have a hotter nose and if we look a little deeper it could be a mindset that indirectly is being selected for in breeding these high powered winners...without realizing it the competition dogs are selected genetically for these traits...

When asking pleasure hunters and they strongly agree...when asking competition hunters they strongly disagree...

I have seen more than one hunter that thought they had a great pack of dogs catching many hogs...they didn’t know they had one good strike/track dog that had a pack of me too dogs following that dog around...those dogs looked awesome until that lead dog wasn’t in the pack anymore...kind of in line in what you already said...

Old Post 06-05-2019 03:22 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stxcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

When you hunt with several other dogs and know them well an you see a dog take tracks that the others will not open on that you think they should and that dog ends up treed with a coon an the others act like they don't know its there. You see that several times an you know you have a colder nosed dog than most. And that's the kind I like!!!

Old Post 06-05-2019 01:31 PM
stxcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stxcoonhunter Click here to Send stxcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email stxcoonhunter Find more posts by stxcoonhunter Add stxcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by stxcoonhunter
When you hunt with several other dogs and know them well an you see a dog take tracks that the others will not open on that you think they should and that dog ends up treed with a coon an the others act like they don't know its there. You see that several times an you know you have a colder nosed dog than most. And that's the kind I like!!!

Me too!!👍

Old Post 06-06-2019 12:10 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by stxcoonhunter

x2
👍👍👍👍👍

these are the dogs people are trying to say are Babbling without knowing the dog.

I have such a dog here right now . She is 8 1/2 years old.
She has been accused more times than I can count of
babbling or dog tracking.
Funny the other dogs always end up eventually opening with her later on the track or they never open but will be at the tree when she trees.
SHE WILL MAKE A BELIEVER OUT OF YOU .

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 06-06-2019 at 05:00 AM

Old Post 06-06-2019 04:53 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Pat

I owned such a female registered walker that could run and tree coons that good dogs could and did not open on and always had a coon looking down. The ones that have never seen such a dog do not want to believe they exist. Everyone who hunted with mine knew such a dog existed. She was not a track straddler either she ran those tracks and made it look easy. What I would give for another like her? Dave

Old Post 06-06-2019 05:47 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedCreek Hunter
UKC Forum Member

I love to hear one work a track up and jump it and run the coon to catch it. But it doesn’t matter how good they sound or how good they look doing it, if they don’t have him when they park then everything they did was a waste .

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:07 PM
RedCreek Hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedCreek Hunter Click here to Send RedCreek Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by RedCreek Hunter Add RedCreek Hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Bizich
x2
👍👍👍👍👍

these are the dogs people are trying to say are Babbling without knowing the dog

people,,, who are people? The only 1 that matters is the judge. Now how is he supposed to know your dog? Is that his job?
Yes your dog may well be a honest track dog. Why should the judge decide if your dog is honest or any other dog in the cast is honest.
That is part of the problem with the babbling rule. There is know question about it rules need changed so you and your dog quit having this issue.

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:48 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I had one just like you describe once. He would trail the other dogs and open on track. Eventually the other dogs would find a coon track and start opening also. It would sound just like the "track" had warmed up enough for them to start opening. I was the only one that knew he was babbling/dog trailing.

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:58 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I had one just like you describe once. He would trail the other dogs and open on track. Eventually the other dogs would find a coon track and start opening also. It would sound just like the "track" had warmed up enough for them to start opening. I was the only one that knew he was babbling/dog trailing.
This is the truth for a lot of these "super cold nosed" dogs.

Old Post 06-06-2019 04:04 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote