UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The Real Purpose?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Richard you are wrong ! I seen a big name stud dog one night we treed about 500 yards in and he was close to a mile away running the thang ! And the second we treed he shut up came back and covered for 50. If you will get instead of deep and alone a superior track dog that runs in front of the pack on the same track and out locates them with the grease your getting 125 when they are getting 25. The only reason that deep and alone chit works in that other kc you hunt in is because they been up there hunting a week before the hunt they killed all the close coons. And their dog knows that and blows out their game is leash lock you and walk the hunt out going to their dog.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-21-2019 12:58 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

I like drawing the deep and alone dogs because my dog will typically trees 1 or 2 along the way there. Here in my part of Missouri the deep hunting dog will typically beat the common average dogs that a lot of people hunt but if you're hunting a real hound, your dog should have no trouble getting treed closer.

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 07-21-2019 01:49 PM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Richard you are wrong ! I seen a big name stud dog one night we treed about 500 yards in and he was close to a mile away running the thang ! And the second we treed he shut up came back and covered for 50. If you will get instead of deep and alone a superior track dog that runs in front of the pack on the same track and out locates them with the grease your getting 125 when they are getting 25. The only reason that deep and alone chit works in that other kc you hunt in is because they been up there hunting a week before the hunt they killed all the close coons. And their dog knows that and blows out their game is leash lock you and walk the hunt out going to their dog.

Tar

I don't really agree with what you're saying. But I do in some ways. You can take a dog and change little things with them. You can tweak their hunting styles a bit by where you've been hunting them. I bet I can take your old granny dog and she'll hunt different when you get her back from me than when she came here. Just because my terrain is different than yours. Before I go to any big hunts I try and hunt my dog in a bunch of different terrain and coon populations. If you're serious enough to want a win at the upper level, then you need a dog that can adapt and overcome quickly.

Is it the game now to walk guys to use up hunting time, you better believe it. Are there guys that hunt dogs that don't start actually hunting until a mile deep, yep there is. These guys bank on the fact that their babblers will get struck, run deep, and tree with a coon and do it fast enough where they're the only dog that gets cut loose again. Now I've never seen any attempt to get a guide for a big score in the other kc's, but I sure have in this one. I prefer elimination style hunts, beat the dogs on your cast and move on.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 07-21-2019 02:00 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

And I prefer close and alone, but if there's nothing close then get gone.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 07-21-2019 02:02 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Some people get confused when I am handling I got that scorecard in my head the whole time it’s a numbers game. If you are getting beat on strike and your dog is getting 25 strike and 125 tree and is treeing every coon. You can be beat by a dog that is getting 100 strike and 75 tree at 4:59 nd not treed a coon all night. That’s why no leash lock and tree countdown are unappealing to many because they would have to hunt at home instead of just at hunts and get them a coondog that competes at a higher level instead of stealing points all night.

Tar

Old Post 07-21-2019 02:07 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Exactly right Tar.......

1 thing is for sure, I bet I know where a dog is that will back 8/10 times that will win more than she loses. I hate her, which is why I sold her. She can tree her own coon but prefers to be lazy. But the biggest fault with her is the fact she will clean a tree off and never skip a beat doing it.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 07-21-2019 02:20 PM
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Count down??

One thing that I thought of and maybe some of you may have also is with a fast moving 4 dog cast, how difficult will it be to do countdown on the other 3 dogs? Now you not only have to keep track of which dog trees where and when but also the time it trees. So now you are counting seconds on each minute within the remaining 5 minutes on the tree. Could prove very difficult! You could have 2nd and 3rd tree (75+/50+) just 2 seconds apart and I'll promise you everyone's stop watch won't match. Now we've gone from counting minutes to counting seconds while listening for the other dogs! I am in now way saying I disagree with the new count down rule change just saying it's gonna take some getting used to and could raise some dang good arguments. The leash lock rule, I agree with.

Old Post 07-21-2019 11:44 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Ron that’s why the one $$$ kc they won’t vote in the no leash lock their major players don’t want you cutting loose behind their babbling blow deep dog it spoils their party. The other $$$$ kc that has no leash lock those major players only play at the big purse ones but they don’t like it plus in that one after 3 minutes if they back they don’t get anything on tree just a minus if a coon is there. Those rules make them deep and lonely dog at a disadvantage when dogs are in coons.

Tar

Old Post 07-21-2019 11:54 PM