UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Blueticks > Blueticks at the world' why we caint win it
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
everett
UKC Forum Member

Re: I would

quote:
Originally posted by Drummerblue2
Like to see more Hustle come out of my yard .And I would like to see my hounds ether get faster at getting treed on a colder track r leave them alone. The walker dog's in my part of the country are some hard going get opened fast and getting treed fast all alone the 2016 pkc world champion is just down the road from me I've never seen a blue dog that covered the group as fast as she does in thick are thin coon she will put on a clinic. I'm hoping I can come up with a blue dog that has a big tank of gas and has no quit in it some day

X2

Blueticks of the Southern States

TEAM MAD DOG "Hunt Hard Hunt Offten"
IN REMEMBRANCE OF MAD DOG TIM VAUGHN

GRNITECH pr' MAD DOG ANTi UP JOKER co winner of the all blue world championship, Sire of 2014 UKC world hunt high scoring Bluetick male(Grnitech pr' Walz Coontree Joker)

GRNITECH pr' Mad Dog coon Poppin
Wacko (Shellly) 2014 BBOA Arkansas State Hunt Queen of Hunt High scoring Grntch.
2015 zone 7 championship Queen of hunt

Grnitech Grch pr' Mad Dog Hey Jude 2008 National Bluetick Days Queen of hunt, 2013 ACHA Little world hunt 5th place overall.

pr' Mad Dog Two Gun Rhino (Astro x Jude)

Pr' Mad Dog Two Gun Doll Baby ( Astro x Shelly)
Critter Light co. Owner/Dealer

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-28-2018 12:35 PM
everett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for everett Click here to Send everett a Private Message Click Here to Email everett Find more posts by everett Add everett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southernthunder
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
Desire to hunt
Without it brains won't matter. Even a dumb hunting dog is better than a smart dog that doesn't hunt.

Guess I've never had that problem before lol if I had hounds that didn't didn't have the desire to hunt I'd definitely change whatever bloodline of dog I was hunting and never breed that again. To me that type is brain dead and needs lead poisoning.

Southern Thunder Bluetick Kennels

At Stud: GRNITECH PR HAMLIN'S BLUE WHIP
PERFORMANCE SIRE $300 STUD FEE

HOME OF: GRNITECH GRCH PR HAMLIN'S DAVIE CROCKET HTX
2015 TRIPLE CROWN CHAMPION
2015 PURINA RACE BREED CHAMPION
2015 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITECH BLUETICK
2015 AUTUMN OAKS GRAND 16
2015 AUTUMN OAKS BBOA / BBCHA HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
2015 WINTER CLASSIC DOUBLE CAST WINNER PURINA POINTS EVENT
2015 WINTER CLASSIC BBOA HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
2015 ARKANSAS STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE
2015 MISSOURI STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE
2015 OKLAHOMA STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER
2015 KENTUCKY STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER
2015 INDIANA STATE PURINA CONTEDER CAST WINNER
2015 BBOA ZONE 7 CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 BBOA TEXAS STATE CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 BBOA / WESTERN ENGLISH SHOOTOUT DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UNITED ENGLISH ARKANSAS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE OVERALL CHAMPION
2015 BBOA YOUTH NATIONALS CAST WINNER 2ND OVERALL HIGH SCORE
2015 BBOA ZONE 7 HOUND OF THE YEAR
2015 BBOA/BBCHA GRAND REUNION RQE 1ST PLACE IOWA
2015 BBOA NATIONAL BLUETICK DAYS INVITATIONAL CAST WINNER / 1ST RUNNER UP
2015 ELBERT VAUGHN MEMORIAL CHAMPION
2015 BILL JACKSON MEMORIAL CHAMPION
2015 BOOMER SOONER CLASSIC CHAMPION
2015 WESTERN ENGLISH SPRING CLASSIS CAST WINNER
2015 OKLAHOMA STATE YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP CAST WINNER
2015 BLUETICK CHALLENGE CHAMPION
2015 BBOA OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UKC WORLD HUNT CAST WINNER
2016 PURINA NATIONALS CAST WINNER / BREED CHAMPION / HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
5 Time World Qualifier and 3 Peat Zone Champion
Too many wins to list them all
2020 Performance Sire at Stud
GRCH GRNITECH PR HAMLIN'S DAVIE CROCKET HTX

Thanks to everyone who has breed to Crocket or is hunting one of his offspring

Old Post 09-28-2018 01:24 PM
southernthunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southernthunder Click here to Send southernthunder a Private Message Find more posts by southernthunder Add southernthunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southernthunder
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
It’s not just layup ability, it is locating ability and a natural instinct to know where to look for a Coon.

Yes sir I call that "coon sense" I understand what you are saying

2015 BBOA / WESTERN ENGLISH SHOOTOUT DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UNITED ENGLISH ARKANSAS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE OVERALL CHAMPION
2015 BBOA OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT

Old Post 09-28-2018 01:31 PM
southernthunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southernthunder Click here to Send southernthunder a Private Message Find more posts by southernthunder Add southernthunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Last year's world champion got hit on the road. Not very smart. She also displayed great desire to hunt and finish with the win. Some of the very dumbest dogs are of the highest quality. Matter a fact some are to smart for there own good.
Sometimes back to the very basics is what is needed. The very simplest of things like desire to hunt. Lot's of other things are going to depend on this 1 thing. Like independence after all if there is a lack of desire independence would be horrible.

Old Post 09-28-2018 02:06 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Ok, now everyone has stated what is needed to move on to a better or maybe I should say, competition style bluetick, so who has such a dog/bloodline that can produce this? I'm sure I'll get several different answers. Keep in mind, if said dog/dogs have what it takes then why haven't they gotten to the top? There are many good or great bluetick breeders out there that have been trying for years to breed a better bluetick and they have IMO. So maybe some other direction needs to be taken. This year we started off with 13 blueticks (I believe) in the top 104 dogs. When the dust cleared there was only 1 left in the final 26. There were 22 English and they ended up with 8 in the final cut. The rest were Walkers. Something is wrong and I for one can't put a finger on it. My hat is off to anyone who participated and I hope we find a path to the top but for now, there's a lot of work to be done.

Old Post 09-28-2018 03:07 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cliff Thornburg
UKC Forum Member

I hunt walkers, but if I wanted to try to win a UKC world hunt with a blue tick I’d head to Meadville, Missouri to get some of whatever they have there.

Last edited by Cliff Thornburg on 09-28-2018 at 04:05 PM

Old Post 09-28-2018 04:03 PM
Cliff Thornburg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff Thornburg Click here to Send Cliff Thornburg a Private Message Visit Cliff Thornburg's homepage! Find more posts by Cliff Thornburg Add Cliff Thornburg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Major18
UKC Forum Member

13 out of 104, 12.5% chance of a blue dog winning. Probably 15% or less at the zones. If only 15% or less of blue dog owners are willing to put forth the effort then it is going to take a lot of luck for the 12%. And before I hear, yeah but its a certain trait that the walkers have and that's why they when. They didn't win, a walker won, 60 something walkers lost and no one, except the owner, was betting on the one that won. And congratulations to him.

Old Post 09-28-2018 04:09 PM
Major18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Major18 Click here to Send Major18 a Private Message Click Here to Email Major18 Find more posts by Major18 Add Major18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southernthunder
UKC Forum Member

like stated before, congratulations to the dog that won it. with that said you can put the same dogs in another cast and probably have different results. that night on that cast that dog won. that don't mean that the said dog is better than anything anyone else is hunting. just a couple of years ago a walker dog won the world hunt that was dead last on the scorecard behind 2 black dogs that would have won if they didn't tree a possum. the dog that was behind all night won. that didn't make the dog that won it better because the other dogs made a mistake that got them scratched. things happen to good and bad dogs period. any hound that has finding a coon and treeing a coon on its mind is capable of winning these hunts. breed for what you like and good luck to all that participate.

Old Post 09-28-2018 05:10 PM
btg
UKC Forum Member

Bear creek classic

quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Thornburg
I hunt walkers, but if I wanted to try to win a UKC world hunt with a blue tick I’d head to Meadville, Missouri to get some of whatever they have there.

Yes there were some blueticks showing out in Meadville that week. I think the high scoring dog of the hunt was a daughter of Ace.

From what I have heard about Ace he is the type of dog y'all are talking about. Gold Champion since we were talking about elimination style hunts. So how many people are beating his door down to check him out as a Stud. Hmm...

Full disclosure I just raised a litter of pups and did not breed to him. I wanted to but opted for Bocephus 3.5 hours away, Ace 12hours .

Old Post 09-28-2018 05:26 PM
btg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for btg Click here to Send btg a Private Message Click Here to Email btg Find more posts by btg Add btg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: I've always been a blue dog man

quote:
Originally posted by Drummerblue2
A cuple years ago my son decided he wanted to pkc hunt and he wanted to change breeds because he thought he could get in the winners circle more. As a good dad I thought I might get me a walker and hunt it up and get it ready for hunts for my son I learned a cuple things about them one thing is both these dogs was wound up all the time like they was on a drug all the time. Needless to say my walker dog fever got cured I got rid of that train reck my son still has his here behind house he has been doing alot of winning here latly heading to super steaks tomorrow I hope he gets in. There is alot if difference in the breed of walkers my son hunts and the breed of blue dog's I have here. No comparison. I'll say this and shut up I don't have what it takes to hunt a hound like my son likes . Good night.
I think this is the answer to why a bluetick never won the world hunt. I hunted Walkers for 50 years.(And never won the world hunt) I switched to blue ticks for this reason. For the last 20 years, I couldn't find a walker that an old man could hunt. Most of the hunters with aspirations of winning the world hunt have Walkers. Most of the blue tick people I talk to say they wouldn't have a dog like that. I have a tracking system but, I like to hunt a dog that doesn't need one. I want to hear him strike and tree. Do you think breeders like Elbert Vaughn, Kelly Bragg, Dave Dean, and the Utchman brothers devoted their lives to breeding inferior dogs? They bred dogs that were a pleasure to hunt, not score card dogs.

Old Post 09-28-2018 06:04 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btg
UKC Forum Member

While I agree with most of your statement, Dave Dean bred to WIN. By his own words he bred to fit the rules. I could not walk behind some of these big time winners , but there are plenty of winners that are just plain COONDOGS. You can win without babbling or running straight line 2.3 miles before starting to hunt. It is the World Hunt for a reason. It takes more than a pot licker and a lucky break to win.

Old Post 09-28-2018 06:19 PM
btg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for btg Click here to Send btg a Private Message Click Here to Email btg Find more posts by btg Add btg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I didn't say it took a potlicker and a lucky break. I said most people hunting blue ticks won't or can't hunt the type of dog that wins big hunts consistently. Regardless of the breed.

Old Post 09-28-2018 06:29 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Home Brew Blue
UKC Forum Member

World hunt

Not being disrespectful or a smart a$$ . I got a serious question to ask you guys. How many of you all made it to the world hunt? Not a RQE or the zones the actual world hunt? With a bluetick. If you have you should know the answer to all of this.

2014 UKC TOP 100
Ch GrNtCh HomeBrew Blue Bo Diddly
2015 WORLD CHAMPION BLUETICK
Gone but not forgotten
Dual Grand Pine Hill Bonnie

Old Post 09-28-2018 07:54 PM
Home Brew Blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Home Brew Blue Click here to Send Home Brew Blue a Private Message Click Here to Email Home Brew Blue Find more posts by Home Brew Blue Add Home Brew Blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Gerald, I had been keeping up with this thread. To see what I needed to improve my hounds. Now you've went and threw a curve ball in it.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 09-28-2018 10:28 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I didn't say it took a potlicker and a lucky break. I said most people hunting blue ticks won't or can't hunt the type of dog that wins big hunts consistently. Regardless of the breed.

And we agree again.

Old Post 09-28-2018 11:13 PM
btg
UKC Forum Member

Re: World hunt

quote:
Originally posted by Home Brew Blue
Not being disrespectful or a smart a$$ . I got a serious question to ask you guys. How many of you all made it to the world hunt? Not a RQE or the zones the actual world hunt? With a bluetick. If you have you should know the answer to all of this.

Not me. But it looks like you have an impressive resume. We are listening...

Not being a jerk , I think that you might be on to something. Let's listen to those that have been there.

Old Post 09-28-2018 11:20 PM
everett
UKC Forum Member

sorry Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by blueticker
Gerald, I had been keeping up with this thread. To see what I needed to improve my hounds. Now you've went and threw a curve ball in it.

Well, look at this way, if a curve ball is thrown right it straightens out at the second, the trick is knowing when to swing lol......Gerald

GRNITECH pr' MAD DOG ANTi UP JOKER co winner of the all blue world championship, Sire of 2014 UKC world hunt high scoring Bluetick male(Grnitech pr' Walz Coontree Joker)

Wacko (Shellly) 2014 BBOA Arkansas State Hunt Queen of Hunt High scoring Grntch.

Grnitech Grch pr' Mad Dog Hey Jude 2008 National Bluetick Days Queen of hunt, 2013 ACHA Little world hunt 5th place overall.

Old Post 09-29-2018 12:12 AM
everett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for everett Click here to Send everett a Private Message Click Here to Email everett Find more posts by everett Add everett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
everett
UKC Forum Member

sorry Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by blueticker

Well, look at this way, if a curve ball is thrown right it straightens out at the second, the trick is knowing when to swing lol......Gerald

Old Post 09-29-2018 12:12 AM
Tim Gump
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Blues

quote:
I’m not trying to bash at all. I’ve tried to think outside the box and not be kennel blind at all. I’m just stating some things that I’ve seen and experienced over several years of hunting, breeding, and being around blueticks. There are a lot of good blueticks in this world, and I believe the traits are there to produce a world class dog. But I honestly believe that what I stated is what is holding the breed back as a whole.
Mr Smith

I agree with what your saying and I didn't mean you or anyone else on this post was bashing anyone just saying bluetickers as a whole are a different bred of hounds men.

In order for the blueticks to win a world hunt I think it will have to be from one of the younger breeders that is driven to win the hunts. Preston Street has a nice hound in Rebel not sure how many people are using him in there breeding program but they should be he has had good results with the females he has bred.

Grnite ch Lil Chic Weed
Grnite ch ch PKC ch Tree Bustin Molly Nite ch Lone Pine Ladybug

Old Post 09-29-2018 03:24 AM
Tim Gump is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Gump Click here to Send Tim Gump a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Gump Visit Tim Gump's homepage! Find more posts by Tim Gump Add Tim Gump to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BETHLEHEM BLUES
UKC Forum Member

Re: World hunt

quote:
Originally posted by Home Brew Blue

Not being disrespectful or a smart a$$ either just curious. I see where you have listed WORLD CHAMPION BLUETICK in what registry did that hound win a world championship hunt?

(RIP) Nt Ch HTX Uchtman first class Jack
(RIP) Gr Nite Ch Yeager’s Wild N Wonderful Ginger

Heikki Yeager (304) 905-3585

Old Post 09-29-2018 05:18 AM
BETHLEHEM BLUES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BETHLEHEM BLUES Click here to Send BETHLEHEM BLUES a Private Message Click Here to Email BETHLEHEM BLUES Find more posts by BETHLEHEM BLUES Add BETHLEHEM BLUES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIG$BLUES
UKC Forum Member

quote:
It’s not just layup ability, it is locating ability and a natural instinct to know where to look for a Coon.
this is fact!!

NTCH DUVALL'S BIG MONEY SLIDDER

Home of those with drive!
Speak the truth it will set you free.

Old Post 09-29-2018 03:19 PM
BIG$BLUES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIG$BLUES Click here to Send BIG$BLUES a Private Message Click Here to Email BIG$BLUES Find more posts by BIG$BLUES Add BIG$BLUES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonbone
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: World hunt

quote:
Originally posted by BETHLEHEM BLUES
Not being disrespectful or a smart a$$ either just curious. I see where you have listed WORLD CHAMPION BLUETICK in what registry did that hound win a world championship hunt?

Did you notice Bluetick behind the words World Champion? I don't think he was saying THEEEEEE World Champion. The bluetick that made it the farthest that year. At least that's the way I read it.

Last edited by coonbone on 09-29-2018 at 03:38 PM

Old Post 09-29-2018 03:34 PM
coonbone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonbone Click here to Send coonbone a Private Message Find more posts by coonbone Add coonbone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

I don't know much about what it takes to win the world hunt.

And I really don't give a hoot. I don't competition hunt.

My attitude probably represents that of a lot of Bluetick men, and is part of the reason a Blue dog hasn't won it.

Many Bluetick men are pleasure hunters.

When a significant portion of Blue men get serious about winning the big one, and get over their petty jealousies and kennel blindness, we might see a Blue world champ.

It obviously isn't a priority right now.

Old Post 09-29-2018 03:35 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Many bluetick owners have no interest in competition. Personally I'm not physically able for hard competition hunting. I do keep looking & breeding for the hound that is capable of winning at the top level. A hound that has lots of desire, trees coon quick & often is what I prefer. A hound must be consistent in their performance. The traits that make this happen is most important to me.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 09-29-2018 06:30 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I consider myself a pleasure hunter but for me it isn't a pleasure unless I'm hunting a dog that can get the job done the right way and not make a bunch of mistakes doing it. Part of the pleasure is also looking to improve on what I have on my lead strap. I'd also get a lot of pleasure in breeding something that someone else could own and win big with.

Old Post 09-29-2018 07:03 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote