UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > strange night
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

strange night

turned 4 dogs loose, one of which was a pup, and dogs struck and took track roughly 600 yards from drop point. They were treed in an area that we had to drive a little farther to make it a little easier to get to. On the way in through some rough country I noticed I couldn't hear the dogs treeing anymore, pulled up the garmin and one dog was within 50 yards but couldn't see her. Finally found her with what looked to be a broken front leg and something wrong with her back end. My male dog was limping as well, no visible snake bite wounds, the female passed out a couple times as we carried her out of the woods. Mine went to the vet and had a dislocated hip. He was sedated and it went back in and is now in a sling. Other dog is on the way to the vet today. Would like to know what happened to the dogs but probably never will. Anybody had a dog sustain a injury like this and come back 100%? He just turned 2 years old and has been doing a good job.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-08-2016 02:47 PM
buchcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buchcoonhunter Click here to Send buchcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email buchcoonhunter Find more posts by buchcoonhunter Add buchcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I'd guess they fell out of a leaning tree. Just a guess.

Old Post 09-08-2016 02:50 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Could've been a bear. But could've fallen too. There's a bunch of possibilities.

Old Post 09-08-2016 03:14 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLUE DAWG 1
UKC Forum Member

Go back to area. Use your Garmin to pin point where they were treed. May find clues as to what happened.

Old Post 09-08-2016 03:33 PM
BLUE DAWG 1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLUE DAWG 1 Find more posts by BLUE DAWG 1 Add BLUE DAWG 1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
I'd guess they fell out of a leaning tree. Just a guess.
Yep!!or over a cliff!! a bear or coyote would left wounds!!

Old Post 09-08-2016 03:34 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ridgerunner1
UKC Forum Member

Lot of high walls around there. Ru sure they wasn't treeing over a high wall and ended up getting brave and trying to go over or down?? I'd say ur dog will be fine little tlc..holler at me and we will go cut em one nite I been treeing lots of coon lately

Old Post 09-08-2016 04:15 PM
ridgerunner1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ridgerunner1 Click here to Send ridgerunner1 a Private Message Click Here to Email ridgerunner1 Find more posts by ridgerunner1 Add ridgerunner1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

fall

Yes I plan on going back to the location on the garmin and seeing what i can see in the daylight. I was concerned my dog would not come back to 100% and its tough in the mountains as it is, especially if the dog can't move to 100% capability. Thought I might be in the market for a dog! Which.....I would like to have a nice female! I've went through lots of possibilities myself, not a scratch on either dog which leads me to believe they fell from a leaning tree or off a high wall as well, i thought about the bear scenario as well.

--Ridgerunner where are you located?

Old Post 09-08-2016 04:19 PM
buchcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buchcoonhunter Click here to Send buchcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email buchcoonhunter Find more posts by buchcoonhunter Add buchcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whitty
UKC Forum Member

Had a dog get a dislocated hip once. Left him up for a while for it to heal after being set and placed in a sling. I hunted that dog for a long long time after that and he did well. He did however have a different style when running where that one leg would go with the other leg much like a horse does when loping. Towards the end of his life arthritis got to him pretty bad but he was very old by then.

Old Post 09-08-2016 05:57 PM
Whitty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Whitty Click here to Send Whitty a Private Message Click Here to Email Whitty Find more posts by Whitty Add Whitty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ryeager
UKC Forum Member

Had a dog fall out of leaning tree broke both front legs had them reset by a vet had both legs in casts for about 3 months legs are still a little crooked but he hunts just fine unless you hunt him several nights in a row then he gets gimpy

Old Post 09-08-2016 06:40 PM
ryeager is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ryeager Click here to Send ryeager a Private Message Click Here to Email ryeager Find more posts by ryeager Add ryeager to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Whitty
Had a dog get a dislocated hip once. Left him up for a while for it to heal after being set and placed in a sling. I hunted that dog for a long long time after that and he did well. He did however have a different style when running where that one leg would go with the other leg much like a horse does when loping. Towards the end of his life arthritis got to him pretty bad but he was very old by then.

Exact situation i'm in, he's in a sling right at this moment, I was just curious if he would be able to go like he did before, good to hear yours did ok after that.

Old Post 09-08-2016 06:51 PM
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

My male dog has a habbit of climbin trees if he can reach a branch. Or if theres a leaner. Hole in a tree etc. Iv had to pull him down alot. Tryin to break him from it. I watched him fall ten feet once out of a tree. Several times round 6 or 7 ft. Went right back to treein every time. But it scares the **** outa me everytime. Iv lucked out he hasent hurt himself. How does one break a dog from doin that without thinkin ur punishin him for treein?

Call or txt 443- 262-5663
www.facebook.com/appalachianblues
AppalachianBluesKennel@gmail.com

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
CH PR Walkin After Midnight
GRFCH GRCH NITECH PR Appalachian Blue Catfish HTX ( ACHA SC CHT TC )
- 2015 Qualified for World Show
- 2016 Performance Sire
- Final four Pink Hunt, 2nd place reg
- 2017 Performance Sire
NCH CH Pr Appalachian Blue Luna
GRFCH WCH Pr Appalachian Blue Raven

Mountain feist WTDA BNCH Meadow Mountain Joker

Chocolate Lab...Banjo. Waterfowl buddy.

Old Post 09-09-2016 04:07 AM
AppalachianBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AppalachianBlue Click here to Send AppalachianBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email AppalachianBlue Find more posts by AppalachianBlue Add AppalachianBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

If it was a bear got them hard enough to do that. It would have marks. I had a young Hound catch a bear. A decision he learned to regret. He had 6 different holes in his back and claw marks down his side. I'd think they fell Alao.

Old Post 09-09-2016 06:40 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
turman
UKC Forum Member

I had one that would climb leaners. She feel over 20 feet one night and I decided I had to break her or she was going to get killed. Next time I found her up in a tree I pulled her down and hooked 2 leads together. I gave her lots of slack and when she started back up I dragged her down and switched the hell out of her. then holding her at the bottom I praised the hell out of her until she was treeing hard and gave her lots of slack again. when she run up that tree we had a repeat of dragging her down and switching followed by more praise at the bottom. Twice is all it took and she never climbed again. she was a smart dog and usually learned everything quick.

Old Post 09-09-2016 11:39 AM
turman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for turman Click here to Send turman a Private Message Click Here to Email turman Find more posts by turman Add turman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

climbing

this dog is not a climber at all nor a tree jacker, thats what puzzles me. the terrain we hunt here is very steep and in a coal mining community, there are lots of high walls, im wondering if the he fell off one or something, hope to find out, but strange not a scratch or place on him anywhere

Old Post 09-09-2016 01:30 PM
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

Thats gotta be wat it was then.

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
- 2016 Performance Sire
- 2017 Performance Sire

Old Post 09-09-2016 01:34 PM
AppalachianBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AppalachianBlue Click here to Send AppalachianBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email AppalachianBlue Find more posts by AppalachianBlue Add AppalachianBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

Re: climbing

quote:
Originally posted by buchcoonhunter
this dog is not a climber at all nor a tree jacker, thats what puzzles me. the terrain we hunt here is very steep and in a coal mining community, there are lots of high walls, im wondering if the he fell off one or something, hope to find out, but strange not a scratch or place on him anywhere

Very easily could have been a high wall but let me tell you it doesn't take much for a dog to run up a leaner in the right circumstance. I had a young female run up a one this spring that could have gotten her killed. As I was coming into her tree I saw her run down what I thought was just a steep bank, when she got to the bottom she turned and scooted right back up there. When I saw her do that my 1st thought was "sh!t I'm gonna have top climb that". As I got closer I realized it was a leaner and she was WAY up in there. My knee jerk reaction was to yell at her to get down. That was a mistake, she's a pretty obedient dog and when I yelled she just turned and jumped. When she hit the ground she squealed and carried on something terrible, I thought for sure she was all busted up (and I was sick about it) but I was lucky she was just gimpy for a few days then it was over.

Old Post 09-09-2016 02:03 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

Not my dog. But this happened on a cast at my local club. U can kinda judge the drop by the dogs on bottom and up high

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
- 2016 Performance Sire
- 2017 Performance Sire

Old Post 09-09-2016 05:06 PM
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

pic

thats an amazing pic there Appalachian Blue! Thanks for sharing

Old Post 09-10-2016 01:42 AM
Pastor Mike
UKC Forum Member

Hip

We had a female that fell about 25 feet out of a tree. She dislocated her hip. She made a full recovery and went on to finish out to dual grand. The only thing I noticed that was different was when she would squat to pee....she would raise that one leg just off the ground where before the injury she would have both feet on the ground.
One of the things I believe made a big difference was my friend who is also my vet was taking a class on dog physical therapy and he made her his Guinea pig so to speak. He came to my house about 3 times a week and would actually work with her an hour each time. He measured her progress as far as movement and used that as research for class and it didn't cost me a dime. I never noticed any difference in the woods, never slowed her down but we did not hunt her very much for about 6 months, just about an hour when we did take her.

I would talk to your vet and see if he knows of any vet students that would be willing to help out with some p.t., it could really help. Good luck.

GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' Soggy Bottom The Frog Dawg (current reproducers list)
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom The Bull Dawg
Soggy Bottom T-Top Miss Dottie
RIP
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Haze HTX (Former#1 Reproducer)
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Stella
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Shadow
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom Bomber's Red Wire (Pigeon- former #1 Reproducer)
NTCH GRCH Red Cedar T-Top Lexus
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Locket

Mike Laster
540-392-2441
pastorlaster@aol.com

Old Post 09-11-2016 01:57 AM
Pastor Mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pastor Mike Click here to Send Pastor Mike a Private Message Click Here to Email Pastor Mike Find more posts by Pastor Mike Add Pastor Mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by AppalachianBlue
My male dog has a habbit of climbin trees if he can reach a branch. Or if theres a leaner. Hole in a tree etc. Iv had to pull him down alot. Tryin to break him from it. I watched him fall ten feet once out of a tree. Several times round 6 or 7 ft. Went right back to treein every time. But it scares the **** outa me everytime. Iv lucked out he hasent hurt himself. How does one break a dog from doin that without thinkin ur punishin him for treein?
ive heard that you can have the two outside toe nails removed from both back feet .i put dog boots on a tree climber and it worked on most trees .still wouid go up one that was leaning with a gradual slope .she would get scary high.got videos of her 40 feet high.the rubber sled dog type boots i got from lion country worked wonders .dogs like any other animal use toe nails when climbing.

Old Post 09-12-2016 02:45 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

dog

might be in the market for a nice hound, looks like mine is gonna be up for a while, if anybody knows of a nice walker, bluetick, or english female, let me know

Old Post 09-13-2016 06:42 PM