UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > “Natural” vs “Man Made” Coondog
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

So you know when if your dog gets hurt before it gets treed? I've had a few that seemed like if they stubbed a toe would just quit. I'm not saying you have to hunt a dog that got torn up somehow. What I'm saying is I want a dog that will still want to go after being hurt. Not saying I cut the dog loose after it gets hurt either, unless its sore feet from it running off game. That's about the only time ill cut 1 loose after I notice its hurt. And the reason I cut it loose with sore feet after running junk is its easier to catch them in every aspect.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-13-2019 01:43 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

You said:

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
[B][You can't teach one how to take corrections, or hunt when they're hurt or not feeling good./B]

Guess the way you worded the above in your post lead me to believe you would be in favor casting a dog to hunt or compete knowing it was "hurt or not feeling good". Thus my response.

Hound getting hurt/not feeling good while it is engaged in the hunt is beyond your control. Though if you become aware of it, depending on severity, you can make the choice to catch it off at your first opportunity. Not sure why you would use that phrasing in conjunction with training?

I own a hare hound that would flat hunt himself to death if I let him. He does what he does because that was what was born in him. That kind of desire cannot be taught/trained.

Old Post 07-13-2019 02:36 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Well I will just kick it up anouther notch ! My freind Andy monson here in Ardmore Oklahoma only gets his hog dogs from the dog pound in Ardmore Oklahoma ! And I promise you he catches more hogs than anybody around.

No breeding program. No raising puppy’s for generations just takes them hunting.

Explain it ?

Tar

Old Post 07-13-2019 02:39 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
You said:

I own a hare hound that would flat hunt himself to death if I let him. He does what he does because that was what was born in him. That kind of desire cannot be taught/trained.

DL...when at the best point in my breeding program before I gave it up I had a yard full of these type of curs that you describe about your hare hound...some died from heat exhaustion and others I caught and if they heard the dogs baying they would have gotten up and went to them...I didn’t start out with dogs like that but some pups exceeded their genetic heritage...even though this was a problem I was really proud of the bloodline...

Tar...kicking it up a notch you say... for me it is not about catching hogs...if it were I would build big traps and set a deer feeder in it and a camera and possibly a red nightlight...I would check the camera weekly and when they were coming in high numbers I would set it with a free swinging gate...I would even pick the day I want for butchering hogs...

Or if I didn’t care about breeding a certain type dog i would have one decent crossbred hound or mtn cur to find and lead the Pitbull cross type dogs around and I would catch lots of hogs and the races would be short...

But breeding quality dogs that can do it all is a great and fun challenge...I haven’t found the perfect combination yet...because if I did the races would never be long... I’ll say it again so you won’t misunderstand me...with dogs that have the nose, bottom, tracking and finding abilities with good bay style and stopping abilities with a head full if sense...

Old Post 07-13-2019 03:53 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Some people use pits for stopping power. Andy and the group he hunts with will not own one. The cross they like the best are the ones that have Airedale in them they hit a hog hard when they catch. But he has a greyhound that he is very fond of an old boar here might run a mile before they get him stopped.

Got to mow the grass now.

Tar

Old Post 07-13-2019 04:50 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
You said:

Guess the way you worded the above in your post lead me to believe you would be in favor casting a dog to hunt or compete knowing it was "hurt or not feeling good". Thus my response.

Hound getting hurt/not feeling good while it is engaged in the hunt is beyond your control. Though if you become aware of it, depending on severity, you can make the choice to catch it off at your first opportunity. Not sure why you would use that phrasing in conjunction with training?

A dog that doesn't feel good isn't an excuse for me unless its an old dog. I'm not sure about you, but when I was in sports it didn't matter if I felt good. I was expected to preform. Do you ever go hunting when you didn't feel like going? Same thing I'm talking about. I have the same feeling towards the dogs. Unless the dog is obviously sick in any way, or an injury that could cause further harm to them by recasting off of a tree. I'm not the roughest guy on a dog, but I give a correction for its actions.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 07-13-2019 05:16 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Some people use pits for stopping power. Andy and the group he hunts with will not own one. The cross they like the best are the ones that have Airedale in them they hit a hog hard when they catch. But he has a greyhound that he is very fond of an old boar here might run a mile before they get him stopped.

Got to mow the grass now.

Tar

I used Airedale’s in the 1980s and they aren’t anywhere close to pitbulls and they aren’t great hunting dogs...why should a dog of that type take up valuable space in my kennels when I had mtn curs that had just as much grit and there wasn’t even a question as to hunting abilities...I am talking about 65 pound mtn curs...not the 30-40 pounders that look like fiest dogs...

Old Post 07-13-2019 06:02 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I used Airedale’s in the 1980s and they aren’t anywhere close to pitbulls and they aren’t great hunting dogs...why should a dog of that type take up valuable space in my kennels when I had mtn curs that had just as much grit and there wasn’t even a question as to hunting abilities...I am talking about 65 pound mtn curs...not the 30-40 pounders that look like fiest dogs...

That I don’t know I get my pork at Walmart.

Tar

Old Post 07-13-2019 06:04 PM
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

I bet more dogs are ruiend by folks trying to make them what they think they should be.

Old Post 07-14-2019 02:35 AM
Dave1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave1 Click here to Send Dave1 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave1 Add Dave1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

I bet more dogs are ruiend by folks trying to make them what they think they should be.

Old Post 07-14-2019 02:35 AM
Dave1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave1 Click here to Send Dave1 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave1 Add Dave1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Daniel Fitzko
UKC Forum Member

Natural” vs “Man Made” Coondog
Both terms are used in the coonhound world and I understand the difference. I am curious if you think or your experience has shown the “natural” any better than the “man made” long term, down the road. Is it any better or worse as a finished hound? Thanks

You don't have take any medicine with" Natural"

Home of:
PR Fitzko's Hardwood Mighty Mouse

Old Post 07-16-2019 07:14 PM
Daniel Fitzko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel Fitzko Click here to Send Daniel Fitzko a Private Message Find more posts by Daniel Fitzko Add Daniel Fitzko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

The Natural will always usurp the man made in my book. In essence you don't have to train or attempt to train what comes natural to the really good hounds. Their genetics already are telling them how to do the job. You as the handler/trainer are responsible for giving them opportunity to do what comes natural to them when you expose them to the game.

Training them to handle is a different gig then trying to train a hound to hunt out, run a track with accuracy and speed, locate the right tree, run the track in the right direction, tree layups, etc. 80-90% of the ability the special ones have was decided the moment fertilization occurred.

The few natural hounds I've had were a pure pleasure to own!

Last edited by DL NH on 07-16-2019 at 07:33 PM

Old Post 07-16-2019 07:31 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Daniel Fitzko
UKC Forum Member

DL NH

That's right

Home of:
PR Fitzko's Hardwood Mighty Mouse

Old Post 07-16-2019 08:27 PM
Daniel Fitzko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel Fitzko Click here to Send Daniel Fitzko a Private Message Find more posts by Daniel Fitzko Add Daniel Fitzko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote