UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > auto immune thyroidsis (genetic )
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

auto immune thyroidsis (genetic )

i was asked by nitehunter 2004 to go first and post a pedigree of a( known non thyroid dog . ) best i can do is post a known thyroid dog. my dog was dead so i will use her litter mates test results from doc that i hunted in iowa . dale had me test him because he was not acting right .WE WERE WANTING TO WIN HUNTS at the time. all we were looking for was t4 levels t4 was( 1.1. ) still the test was the complete thyroid profile from s.m.u.that showed him tgaa positive for auto immune antibodies . that means every breeding pair in his pedigree passed one recessive gene each to him and his litter mates if i understand the process correctly.then he also would pass the trait .
sire bone collector dam plus points dolly ( dolly ) cold sweat x plus points penny ( sweat) track man x famous ( man) noct. style x rock river lady ( famous) hickory nutt harry x night heat abby ( penny) stylish jake x back water pearl ( jake) sackett jr x stylish ann ( pearl ) zeb x hillbilly bonnie ( bones pedigree is easy to find ) I WOULD SAY IT WOULD BE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO BREED THE BAD RECESSIVE GENES OUT OF THE WALKER BREED .JUST ABOUT EVERY DOG IN THIS PEDIGREE IS A BIG MONEY WINNER ON THE TOP 10 HISTORICAL LIST OR SIRED ONE ONE LIST, ,LITTER MATE TO 1 ON THE LIST. MY BEST GUESS THAT IN THE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION IF 100 DOGS WERE TESTED WALKERS WOULD MOVE FROM # 16 TO # 1 OF ALL THE KNOW BREEDS FOR AUTO IMMUNE THYROIDSIS.

Last edited by thomasg on 05-17-2018 at 12:56 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-17-2018 12:34 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

DONT THINK IM BIAS AGAINST THE WALKER HOUNDS >ALL OTHER BREEDS RANK #38 . IF EVERYTHING WORKS AS PLANED FOR ME MY 4 YEAR OLD ENGLISH MALE WILL HAVE A N O. F.A. THYROID PANEL DONE NEXT WEEK AT M.S.U.HE WILL EITHER BE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE FOR THE RECESSIVE BAD GENE .HE MIGHT POSSIBLY BE THE FIRST HOUND ENTERED INTO A THYROID DATA. BANK( GOOD OR BAD ).EVEN THOUGH I DONT OWN A FEMALE TO RAISE A PUP FROM IT WOULD BE HYPOCRITICAL OF ME TO ASK OTHERS TO TEST AND NOT TAKE THE LEAD BY TESTING MY OWN DOG . AS SOON AS I GET THE RESULTS THEY WILL BE MADE PUBLIC AND WILL BE ABLE TO BE VERIFIED ON THE F.O. A . THYROID DATA BANK.

Last edited by thomasg on 05-18-2018 at 11:45 PM

Old Post 05-18-2018 11:42 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid Testing

What is the cost of this test?

Old Post 05-28-2018 09:23 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

So your dog was out of Bone bred to a cousin if I'm reading that ped right? Penny was out of Jake and pearl? Bone was out of Nowheres who was out of Jake and pearl and Homer who was inbred from Fred and his own dam. Any wander why we got a problem? Line breeding brings out recessive genes.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 05-31-2018 09:21 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
So your dog was out of Bone bred to a cousin if I'm reading that ped right? Penny was out of Jake and pearl? Bone was out of Nowheres who was out of Jake and pearl and Homer who was inbred from Fred and his own dam. Any wander why we got a problem? Line breeding brings out recessive genes.
cold sweat was one of the best line breed dogs for top 10 historical dogs and litter mates i have ever seen . he passed the recessive gene to dolly ! jake was out of sackett jr and stylish harrys litter mate . where would a breeder even start to breed the genes out? not a big enough gene pool to work from . every breeding pair from 40 plus years ago had and passed the recessive gene down the line .now treating the dogs is about all that can be done when the thyroid quits working . maybe a x-bred dog or 2 could be tested and break the chain ? even then it would be a guess because the dog might test - for antibodies at 2 and + at 6 .

Old Post 06-01-2018 12:42 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

I would have to read but I do not think that's how it would of had to work. At some point the gene could have mutated in a few of the popular dogs and went from there. could have happened 10 years ago or 40 years ago.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-01-2018 02:23 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
I would have to read but I do not think that's how it would of had to work. At some point the gene could have mutated in a few of the popular dogs and went from there. could have happened 10 years ago or 40 years ago.
or it could be the gene pool was to small from the beginning like the gordon setter . dalmation . doberman and others . kept that way by breed ass. not opening up single registration to allow new blood in . then like you have already mentioned breeders who line breed for to many generations . like the slick treeing dogs today. even with desired trait you can get to much of a good thing .lol now i see the same thing with independence . every drop dogs that go a mile or more just to be alone and stay that way with teeth flashing . at the ark state hunt some of the young guys had shirts that said cover late get ate . use to be the few fighting dogs were light broke and spoke about in the dark .lol now they are promoted out in the open and they brag about them .

Old Post 06-03-2018 02:21 AM
kordog
UKC Forum Member

that darn tennesse lead probably had the gene .they stole more than they bargained for .see what happens when you outcross.lol.

Old Post 06-06-2018 12:48 PM
kordog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kordog Click here to Send kordog a Private Message Click Here to Email kordog Find more posts by kordog Add kordog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by kordog
that darn tennesse lead probably had the gene .they stole more than they bargained for .see what happens when you outcross.lol.
i heard all my life that shettlers sonny boy was from a half bird dog cross . he sired finley river chief who was the back bone and start to almost every popular line of walkers in the world . house chief was out of f.r. chief . spring creek rock . grandson . clover line was threw finley river dan a cheif son . wipe out line setting back there ole chief again . for 20 plus years i hunted the finley river dogs . for 20 years i saw hounds with hot spots skin problems . dogs that were out standing at 2 years old and not worth killing at 4 . all thyroid dogs we just did not have a name for them back then . lol

Old Post 06-07-2018 04:28 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Thomasg nearly every popular large breed dog is on this list in the top 20. You may have to switch to a lap dog to hunt with small breeds are less susceptible. Don't get beagles though they rank much worse than even the walkers you are concerned about.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-10-2018 04:09 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Thomasg nearly every popular large breed dog is on this list in the top 20. You may have to switch to a lap dog to hunt with small breeds are less susceptible. Don't get beagles though they rank much worse than even the walkers you are concerned about.
beagles are # 10. lol i have one english . and one x -bred .i will only need 1 or 2 pups to make it threw my senior years as i am 54 .lol they will be x-bred the best way i know to get a way from line breed hounds. and maybe get one with some hybrid vigor .lol nothing worse than only keeping 2 hounds at a time then your 800$ pup that is world class in every way you are pushing hard thyroid goes out 6 weeks before the spring s.s. .lol put to sleep 2 months latter for brain seizures .then add 1400 vet bills .papers nomination fees d.n.a. gas time lost sleep non refundable motel reservations for 3 nights 420$ good chance you might have hunted with one of her litter mates not to far from your part of the country owned by tim pinney named rainy. i also had rainy for 3 months . l started her and sent her back to dale finley in ark and kept penny who was more independent and had a better mouth .lol i heard the rainy dog had some health issues latter bur not sure the exact nature of them .we had a litter mate brother named zeb that we won the iowa state pup at 11 months old scoring 375+ fist round . 350 + second round . we sold him to kentucky and the man that bought him said one night he just quit hunting and anit worth killing now. all out of the same cross but latter litter to the dog in the first post whos thyroid quit at 5 years old .lol had walkers 40 years . would be hard to take one now if some one wanted give me one from 1000$ cross .lol if i did get one i would be smart enough to get it going good and sell it at a year old .lol

Old Post 06-11-2018 05:28 PM
kordog
UKC Forum Member

i have seen a whole yard full of grade walker dogs carrying the gene with a lot of gray patches where black or brown usually is . they also had scanty coats also gray eyes on a few they were all littermates ,but despite there health issues which never seemed to bother them every one of them kicked azz in the woods into old age.the problem exists its out there,but i still prefer walkers,even though i know a good bluetick walker cross is a tougher dog.even though im getting a lot softer with age .i refuse to let a hound put me into a position with the vet that is counter productive to owning hounds.if a hound is that unhealthy i take care of it myself the old fashion way.vets are great to have on hand for some things especially a diagnosis,but i wont let them get ahold of my heart then wallet so they can buy another sports car,and put me in the poorhouse.lol.as far as beagles .to me everything about a beagle seems like a recessive gene including their hunting ability ,cause i never hear or have seen an outcross that make for a better hound on hare as a whole.

Old Post 06-12-2018 01:43 PM
kordog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kordog Click here to Send kordog a Private Message Click Here to Email kordog Find more posts by kordog Add kordog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lloyd Baxley
New UKC Forum Member

I think you have your pedigrees wrong on some of those dogs you mentioned

Old Post 07-03-2018 01:21 AM
Lloyd Baxley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lloyd Baxley Click here to Send Lloyd Baxley a Private Message Click Here to Email Lloyd Baxley Find more posts by Lloyd Baxley Add Lloyd Baxley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote