UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > When is a pup ready?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fargo
UKC Forum Member

When is a pup ready?

I have a 9 month old Wipeout pup I just got. I've taking him 5 times, not really sure how much before I got him that he's been hunting, out of the 5 times I've taking him every time sometime during the night he will go to the truck and stay there. Is he not ready yet? Is he being lazy? I'm asking to see if anyone else has ever had this problem with a pup. I've showed him one coon & he showed lots of interest.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-22-2017 10:51 AM
fargo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fargo Click here to Send fargo a Private Message Click Here to Email fargo Find more posts by fargo Add fargo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The answer to your question would be, what is happening when he is not heading for the truck. Is he out hunting and not finding anything. Is he running and then decides to go to the truck. Is nothing happening and he goes to the truck. I think the majority of people have experienced this with a pup. How do you hunt. Cast him? Is another dog involved? Are you at the truck when he comes in or are you out in the woods?

Old Post 08-22-2017 11:44 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fargo
UKC Forum Member

He will go a little ways with the dogs when I cut them. He comes back to me and runs around. I was going to my older dog treed last night & he disappeared, I looked at the garmin and he was headed to the truck, he went to the first tree with me.

Old Post 08-22-2017 11:49 AM
fargo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fargo Click here to Send fargo a Private Message Click Here to Email fargo Find more posts by fargo Add fargo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wdb91
UKC Forum Member

when he goes back to the truck load him up and continue your hunt...he will get tired of listening to the other dogs and not being able to get out so when he does get out he will want to go hunt

Old Post 08-22-2017 11:58 AM
Wdb91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wdb91 Click here to Send Wdb91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wdb91 Find more posts by Wdb91 Add Wdb91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Miltons
UKC Forum Member

Not knowing

Not knowing the whole situation or the dogs my opinion could be totally off base. But here it is, food for thought anyway. Next time you go hunting leave him in the box until the other dogs get treed. Then leash him up and walk him in to the tree. Just observe how he responds to the other dogs treeing and even how they respond to him. That's where I would start.

Old Post 08-22-2017 01:34 PM
Pat Miltons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Miltons Click here to Send Pat Miltons a Private Message Click Here to Email Pat Miltons Find more posts by Pat Miltons Add Pat Miltons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
damon shivers
UKC Forum Member

Agree

There!

Nitech Ch PR Shivers Magic Lead-MagicXHooker
Breeder and handler and half owner of Nitech Grch Grwch Grfch PR Rock Acres Brutus HTX sire MagicXShelly
Cali- Ch Wch Grnite Shivers Magic Buckeye x Dual Grand Tuff

Old Post 08-22-2017 02:26 PM
damon shivers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for damon shivers Click here to Send damon shivers a Private Message Find more posts by damon shivers Add damon shivers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fargo
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. I have tried leading him into a tree and he acts interested around the tree. He doesn't go back to the truck every turn loose but sometime during the night he will. When he does go back he lays down beside the truck, out of the 5 times I've taking him only 1 night was there really not anything going on with the other dogs for as making trees.

Old Post 08-22-2017 07:15 PM
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

pup..

I would take yer pup early mornin,by himself and turn him loose. If he dont leave yer side walk down a crick with him,watch to see if he has his nose down or just puppy playin. Take him early mornin a few times and see how much progress you get. It wouldnt hurt to get a caged coon and put the coon in a crick,just to soak his feet while still in the cage,get yer pup fired up on the caged coon ,tie yer pup a few feet away and turn coon loose,wait till coon climbs up and cut yer pup loose.If he tracks n trees the easy coon,do it a few more times before you turn him loose with any other dogs

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 08-22-2017 10:13 PM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I'd get a different pup

Old Post 08-23-2017 04:05 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I would hunt him more than 5 times.

Old Post 08-23-2017 07:28 PM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote