UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Handling your dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Handling your dog

Can a handler be scratched for handling or putting his dog on a leash before the judge tells him to? What rule covers this?

Scenario...while cast is spread out shining a tree, a dog out on trail comes into the tree and his handler leashes him. Can the judge scratch the handler for handling his dog without permission?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-25-2019 02:47 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaz2012
Banned

if the handler lets him

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 06-25-2019 03:34 AM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tpettit
UKC Forum Member

There is no rule under scratchable offences on this. And rule 11 b, says all dogs at the tree must be leashed.

Old Post 06-25-2019 05:14 PM
tpettit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tpettit Click here to Send tpettit a Private Message Click Here to Email tpettit Find more posts by tpettit Add tpettit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

Implied Scratch? Same as turning your dog loose without being instructed.

Old Post 06-25-2019 05:22 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

I've seen it happen.

The 2 other dudes didn't have a chance at winning, as a matter of fact didn't have a plus point going into the last tree. My buddy's dog treed alone...again...dog was 10 feet across a tightly strung fence, he crossed first, tied dog back while they also crossed. Now, I'm telling you, they could touch each other. Judge scratched him, said he didn't tell him to tie her back yet, she was belly rubbing, hunt was over, questioned it, MOH upheld it, no cast winner. Sportsmanship at it's finest.

Of course, as a spectator I gave some lip and that didn't help.

Old Post 06-25-2019 06:11 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Wingler
I've seen it happen.

The 2 other dudes didn't have a chance at winning, as a matter of fact didn't have a plus point going into the last tree. My buddy's dog treed alone...again...dog was 10 feet across a tightly strung fence, he crossed first, tied dog back while they also crossed. Now, I'm telling you, they could touch each other. Judge scratched him, said he didn't tell him to tie her back yet, she was belly rubbing, hunt was over, questioned it, MOH upheld it, no cast winner. Sportsmanship at it's finest.

Of course, as a spectator I gave some lip and that didn't help.

That sucks. I make it a point to stay behind judge when walking to tree. And will ask if I can handle my dog. The judge has the right to see all he wants to see before he says handle dogs. But he also must show sportsmanship an use his authority as a judge correctly. Something that is missing in some of these judges these days.

Old Post 06-25-2019 10:37 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

Technically I do understand it as a handler offense, but in that situation it was just 2 paid handlers against a regular ol guy and they refused to let anyone else win if they couldn’t.

Old Post 06-26-2019 01:07 AM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote